McLintock! 60th anniversary

Movies, Television, and Video, excepting Animation
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
overbarrel49

Re: McLintock! 60th anniversary

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

Interesting speculation. You've spent a long time studying these things so I always enjoy your musings about such things. Even when you don't have all the information you need to be certain, you can certainly make a web-ed-ucated guess :D . Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this :D . Phil O
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

If the movie was remade would Katy be wearing anything?
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:If the movie was remade would Katy be wearing anything?
If you were the producer, Phil the director, and me the writer, probably not! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

OUCH!!! that coal Shovel landing on bare bottom :shock:
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

butch wrote:OUCH!!! that coal Shovel landing on bare bottom
OUCH!! indeed, Butch - heh heh :twisted:
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Whoever mounted that display really had an appreciation for its ultimate purpose. Notice how the word spanking is prominently used in the synopsis. Notice too that the shovel is mounted with its back to the viewer. Normally an item like this would be shown scoop-side forward. But someone knew which side of the shovel was of particular interest to the public.

Phil S.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Here's another version of the movie poster B00m used to start this thread back in 2013. This one was provided to me by Lucas (thanks, Lucas!) and, interestingly enough, has some "stinging effect" lines radiating from the affected area of Maureen O'Hara's anatomy not seen in B00m's version. It has languished in my mailbox for three years and I just got to it today. :roll:

-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Great find 8-) 8-) 8-) only thing the poster gave away the most exciting part of the movie :x don`t know why back in the olden days movies with spanking always feature the spanking on their posters it like going to see a who done it and they show the killer on the poster :shock: :x :x
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Great find, Web-ed! I like the "rays" that some artist added to the picture" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

McLintock! was a movie that "spoilers" couldn't spoil. A week before it was released, the promotional campaign featured posters, newspaper ads, TV commercials, and theatrical trailers that all featured tantalizing images of Maureen O'Hara getting spanked on the seat of her pantaloons. No chance of a surprise finale... but not every film needs a surprise. This one didn't

Instead of "spoiling" it, the knowledge of what was going to eventually happen to Katherine helped to build anticipation for the moment when she would finally get her "comeuppance". I remember the first time I ever saw McLintock! Every spiteful thing she said or did throughout the movie, was just one more thing I knew she'd have to answer for in the end.

Now Psycho is a different story. Somebody told me the ending before I saw it. I have always resented that!
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

To address the hypothetical remake issue, maybe have Kate in undergarments women would have worn in 1963 A panty girdle perhaps, and I believe bikini panties were around then. Or pantyhose(the shovel would have rendered a pair of them seatless).
Or a 1963 swimsuit perhaps. Of course if someone really wanted to update- a thong; or nothing at all..
butch46163@yahoo.com

If there ever a remake of MClintock would they cast Josh Brolin as GW MClintock but what actress to play Kate :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

If there ever a remake of MClintock would they cast Josh Brolin as GW MClintock but what actress to play Kate?

Kathryn Boyd, absolutely.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Huh. In two more years, it'll be the 70th anniversary!

I ran across an interesting youtube video of a promotional announcement that Maureen O'Hara did near the time of the release of McLintock! She was talking about her friend, John Wayne, and his sons, Michael and Patrick.

There were clips from the movie, including excerpts from the mudfight, the chase leading up to the spanking, and the spanking itself. Rough footage was used, edited just a little bit differently than in the finished film. There was some music that was different from what DeVol wrote for the soundtrack. Some of the dialog was slightly different too, with Katherine threatening Birnbaum while she was getting spanked. (Why? Because he suggested that G.W. "raise his hand"? She wasn't there to hear him.) There was no "CLANG CLANG!" from the foley man, but a more realistic sound of the shovel slapping against Ms. O'Hara's lovely bottom. AND nine swats were shown.

At the time, John Wayne had just finished with one of his less-successful films, The Alamo, and he needed a big hit to put him back at the top. Good old Maureen O'Hara! She was at a point in her career that she didn't have to get spanked like that. She could've refused to take the role, or made them do the spanking "off-screen", or asked for a stunt double to be turned over the Duke's knee. She knew what the fans wanted! :D :D :D :D

I don't know how long this one will be around... but here's the link for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ7alinE1HQ
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I don't know if there actually were any movies in which a stunt double got spanked in place of the star. I haven't found any solid evidence of that happening. There have been plenty of movies and TV shows with "off-screen" spankings (which I suspect of being just the foley man faking the sounds).

For McLintock! there were some off-screen "CLANG"s, implying that the spanking continued while the camera cut away, but there were also six good solid smacks clearly shown in the finished film, with Maureen O'Hara's face and backside in frame so that we knew it was really her lovely backside getting paddled. The preview doesn't show the one long shot, but there are six swats shown in the first close-up, a cutaway to the crowd's amused reaction, and then three more swats shown in close-up. No faking for Maureen! :D :D :D :D

In addition to getting a real spanking for McLintock! Maureen O'Hara, being a veteran of the swashbuckling genre, did most of her own stunts. She slid down the slope into the infamous mudhole, fell off the hotel balcony into a hay wagon, and the most dangerous stunt they would let her do for herself: falling off of a tall ladder and landing in a water trough! The only stunt they insisted should be done by a professional was the dive though a saloon window. (In that scene, you can see the stuntman go through the window and roll to the side, and when the camera zooms out, there's Maureen O'Hara on the ground as if she's just landed.)
butch46163@yahoo.com

it a shame Mrs Powers Becky`s spanking wasn`t shown much but I read she was well padded for that scene didn`t know actresses needed stunt doubles for a spanking due that we see their faces I knew Joan Chen use a stunt double for her caning in Tai Pan :x :x but never known any other actress needing one always wonder about off camera spankings is it because actresses didn`t want to be shown getting a spanking on screen or did censor had some thing to do with it
hugob00m

Fourth of July Celebration!

Post by hugob00m »

The exciting conclusion of McLintock! took place during a Fourth of July rodeo and picnic.

Fourth of July Celebration.jpg
Fourth of July Celebration.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 3171 times

Great way to celebrate! :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol: