Welk and WHOOOO?

Movies, Television, and Video, excepting Animation
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
daneldorado

Welk and WHOOOO?

Post by daneldorado »

Sorry to interrupt the usual smooth-running flow of topics and ideas on this forum, but...

Here is an old picture of the music man himself, Lawrence Welk, spanking one of his "Champagne Ladies" for publicity, circa 1955.

Can anyone out there tell me, WHO is the lady being spanked? Had to be someone popular in the 1950s. But sorry, my DeLorean time-machine is in the shop. Anybody know who she is?

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Re: Welk and WHOOOO?

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi Dan,

i think it's one of the Lennon Sisters but i'm not sure. phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

daneldorado wrote:Sorry to interrupt the usual smooth-running flow of topics and ideas on this forum, but...
Please, no apologies Dan - we value your contributions! I did, however, take the liberty of moving this topic to a different forum.
overbarrel49 wrote:i think it's one of the Lennon Sisters but i'm not sure. phil
Close, Phil. Our spankee's very thin eyebrows suggest that she is Jayne Walton, who was with Welk from 1940-1945 and occasionally guested on his show even after that. Therefore, we can't be sure whether this is from the earlier period in the '40's or later, but she looks fairly young so I'm guessing this was taken during the 1940-1945 period.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Web-ed wrote:

Close, Phil. Our spankee's very thin eyebrows suggest that she is Jayne Walton, who was with Welk from 1940-1945 and occasionally guested on his show even after that. Therefore, we can't be sure whether this is from the earlier period in the '40's or later, but she looks fairly young so I'm guessing this was taken during the 1940-1945 period.

I think you're right, Web-ed. The website for the Welk "Champagne Ladies" (http://www.welkmusicalfamily.com/champagneladies.html) shows us pictures of all eight (8) "Champagne Ladies" and Jayne Walton's picture is almost a dead ringer for the lady we see over Welk's lap in that publicity shot.

My guess of "circa 1955" appears to be wrong. That website -- and your own message -- tell us that Jayne's reign as Champagne Lady was from 1940 to 1945. The publicity pic was probably one of many that were produced of entertainment stars in light-hearted settings during wartime.

Cheers,
Dan
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

It was Jayne Walton. The spanking was a result of her losing a bet to Welk over an election in the 1950s.

i do not know what she would have done to Welk if she had won the bet! :?
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:It was Jayne Walton. The spanking was a result of her losing a bet to Welk over an election in the 1950s.

i do not know what she would have done to Welk if she had won the bet! :?
An election bet spanking - wonderful! The only time I've seen that before was with this cartoon of Bill Wenzel:

(I have a new scan of this one in my files and I expect we'll be seeing it soon).

Luckily she lost the bet :D :!:
-- Web-Ed