Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
DRD

Re: Ward Sorority Spanking Pic on Ebay

Post by DRD »

I'm wondering if this is the same guy that bought it from comics.ha,com and payed $1500 for
DRD
DRD

Re: Info on Herc

Post by DRD »

Thanks Jim, by the way, there are a couple of Wards,a George Morrice and, as I said, a Herc Ficklin at comics.ha that you guys may or may not already have
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Could well be. By the way, I'm going to post this one along with 9 others by Ward on July 2, as sort of an Independence Day celebration. I'm calling it the Bill Ward Blowout!
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Who is REKOJ?

Post by web-ed »

Thanks for doing all that spadework, DRD! I took a look at the cartoon you mentioned and compared it with a couple in my files that I haven't yet posted. I agree with most of your conclusions - "REKOJ" is "JOKER", and the cartoons do seem to have been drawn by the same man, but it wasn't Abe Goodman. A brief digression for those who aren't sure who the Goodman brothers were: as DRD notes, Martin Goodman published the Humorama digests as well as comic books under the Atlas/Timely/Marvel imprint. (Goodman set up numerous corporations for his business, and he could use any of their names at will). His brother Abe edited the Humorama line (he may have had an assistant, but if so, I don't know who it was).

I'm convinced that "REKOJ" is really Frank Beaven. The big clue is the address stamp in the "REKOJ" cartoon, the visible portion of which reads, "K BEAVEN" (in lower r.h. corner). We were lucky to get this, because with most of the Humorama cartoons I've seen, the stamp was on the back (presumably the artists did this so that Abe Goodman would know where to send the check!). It's reasonable to suppose that the only Humorama artist whose first name ends in "K" and whose last name is "Beaven" is Frank Beaven. Let's take a look at three cartoons and try to confirm:
This is the REKOJ cartoon DRD is referring to.
This is the REKOJ cartoon DRD is referring to.
rekoj_bb.jpg (64.3 KiB) Viewed 9569 times
An "RE" spanking cartoon.
An "RE" spanking cartoon.
tuesday_bb.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 9569 times
Non-spanking cartoon known to be drawn by Frank Beaven.
Non-spanking cartoon known to be drawn by Frank Beaven.
frank_beaven_fun_parade80_bb.jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 9569 times
There are several stylistic similarities, especially the noses - the men generally have protuberant ones of an unusual shape, and the women's all end in a sharp point. I'd say they're all Beaven, and the only real question is why he used so many different signatures. We have seen that Bill Wenzel used two different forms; Beaven seems to have used at least three (I've seen a block-style "F" on some of his work) and maybe more, if he's also the mysterious "F Engel". The "RE" is especially strange - not his initials, but the second letter of each of his names!

But I wouldn't have tumbled to all this if you hadn't found the "REKOJ" one, so thanks again. I may have to revise the page with our only Beaven cartoon so far, and I'm certainly going to post the few others I have, probably repeating much of this discussion.

And by the way, I looked up the other cartoons you mentioned, having previously searched through other art auction sites. At this point, I expect that's where we're going to find any Humorama spanking cartoons that haven't been seen on the 'net before. Makes me wish I could have picked them all up back in the 80's when Humorama's assets were auctioned off.
-- Web-Ed
DRD

Re: Who is REKOJ?

Post by DRD »

Thanks for pointing out the stamp, didn't even see it. I heartily concur with your opinion that it is Frank Beaven. I bow to you on this one.
DRD
jimc

Re: Who is REKOJ?

Post by jimc »

great finds and great detective work i had always thought those were done by engel as it looked like FE was the initial used. I had always thought that Herc was DSD as the works did seem similar. I appreciate the findsand the research as i did enjoy the art and wish i could know more about the artist (mainly to find if he did other spanking works of course and also i did enjoy finding them) Oh, and i just had an idea for another commision idea for Bawdy Bard and Kevin Karstens a new one involving the strip Luann with Brad and his girlfriend Toni Daytona who are are firemen. Toni is over Brad's knee getting spanked and her comment is something like this " But Brad, Firemen are supposed to put fires out not start them!" 2nd line is something like this "After your bottom is ablaze. I'll hose you down then!".
Jim
jimc

Post by jimc »

hi everyone, i have found another cover spanking it is http://www.adn.es/clipping/ADNIMA20080225_3054/4.jpg. It is a SEX TO SEXTY cover. This was another line of adult-themed comics and it had a lot of the artists we have been discussing in there as well. To our collectors out there i hope you will share some of this artwork as there were some good ones although i have to admit i liked the ones in HUMORAMA better myself. Like web-ed i had a seven spankings and this was one of the 1st that i had found that i could buy as a teenager (i found them at a little newstand across from the college i attended briefly) another was the famous NATIONAL LAMPOON cover; Veronica getting spanked in Archie; Wendy Winkle getting a daydream spanking; Bootsie Belmont getting spanked by Lefty Drake; a ward spanking and a dsd one rounded out my spanking finds that led me to others this was of course way before the internet and i did not know there were more spankos out there. Have a great holiday.
JIm
jimc

Post by jimc »

When i saw the REKOJ I just assumed that it had come from that magazine (Joker) and that was how they gave credit to it when i had seen it years ago so i was surprized that you were able to get that information on an artist from it. I had seen several with the initials FE and somehow i had gotten Frank Engel or engle out of it as it was in a magazine called fetish times about some of the spanking artists of the time. I found out information about this in a newspaper called the village voice. I seem to recall another fetish paper out there published by someone either named martin goldstein or something like that i wonder if anyone remembers anything about them. this was after playboy and penthouse, but before hustler i think. Another spanking magazine of the time was called OUI and it had many spanking letters, stories, and art that i have not seen in awhile. SIR was a sister publication of MR and it also was a mainstream spanking magazine.
JIm
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Good find on Sex to Sexty - I don't have any of these in my personal collection, but of course I'll post this one.

I remember various fetish papers, mainly in the 80's and 90's, some of which had spanking pictures and Bill Ward cartoons. I didn't keep any of them, however. Oui I never liked much, so probably the one or two issues I saw didn't have any spanking in them. I remember seeing SIR on a magazine rack somewhere, but I never owned a copy.
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

Yes, OUI was really not that good, but the issues that had spanking in them were great (there was a photo spread of Hitler spanking Eva Braun and a shoot with a western spanking theme and a parody on the spy that loved me called the spy that spanked me and 1 other i remember), but as you said i stopped buying it after a couple of issues did not have any spanking in it. There was this newsletter out for a while too called the bottom line anybody remember that one.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

The Bottom Line and other Spanking Publication

Post by web-ed »

Yes, I remember The Bottom Line, but I'm not sure if I actually ever owned a copy. Pre-internet, the best we could do was search for fetish publications in adult bookstores, and some of these would have ads for spanking-focused newsletters like The Bottom Line. I bought a number of bad spanking mags in the 80's, and also some of the cheap newsprint stuff like Bizarre and Fetish Times (which occasionally would have a Bill Ward cartoon) hoping to find some decent spanking material.

I think I was afraid someone would find my stash, so I threw it all out years ago, including (unfortunately) a collection of spanking cartoons I bought at Kinematics in New York in the early 90's. The only print stuff I have left are a couple of issues of Spank Hard, which being edited by Eve Howard was a little better than the others, and some issues of Shadow Lane's (Eve Howard again) Stand Corrected when it was still a printed magazine.
-- Web-Ed
Wolfie138

Post by Wolfie138 »

nice to see the set of these pics on the latest update. i can kinda see the point about leg positioning in some of the pics, but to be honest i like seeing legs kicking and scissoring, it gives the impression that the spanking is really doing its job.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

You're quite correct to point that out, Wolfie, since I should have done so myself and didn't. In fact, there is a trade-off to drawing kicking legs, and I only noted the disadvantages (bad line to the body, can't really spank properly like that) while ignoring the advantage (conveys that spankee feels the spanking). Which one is more important depends upon your point of view - I like to see the spankee's body positioned as attractively as possible, and to have facial expressions convey how much the spanking stings - but opinions differ.

When using a large paddle in actual practice, sometimes my spankee will move around a little after the swat, which is fine. But I always make sure she's back in position with her thighs parallel (this would be bent over, not OTK) before I apply the paddle to the target again.
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

I've got to say i like seeing the movement on ward spankings even though they are incorrect for a true spanker for me it is great to see it all facial expressions, otk, movement, clothing etc. So i like them because i am a otk lover and it satifies my needs so that is all i look for. The strange positions are a distraction i admit as well, but almost any spanking makes me smile.
JIm
hugob00m

DSD hillbilly spanking on Retrosleaze

Post by hugob00m »

I've seen this cartoon on several sites, including CSR, but never before at this resolution!
dsd 09b.jpg
dsd 09b.jpg (251.13 KiB) Viewed 10803 times
You can actually see Decarlo's brushstrokes where he used an ink wash to add his shading! Of particular interest are the cutoffs the girl is wearing. Decarlo's shading makes her butt look three-dimensional! I think if I was in Clem's place, I wouldn't be just leaning against that tree!

I found this on the Retrosleaze website. Unfortunately, the caption and signature are missing, but there are plenty of other copies that retain the DSD signature... and even if there weren't other copies with the signature intact, Decarlo's style would be instantly recognizable.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: DSD hillbilly spanking on Retrosleaze

Post by web-ed »

Boom, this is superb - thanks for posting it! I'll add it to the CSR page where I had a xeroxed version along with Funbun's bare-bottomed enhancement (I wonder what Funbun could have done if he had started with with this one!).

For the first time, we can see that DeCarlo intended the buttocks to provide a really well-defined, tempting target. :o I wonder if that was true with any of his other spanking cartoons?
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

there was this article in my local paper before Dan De Carlo passed away and the author mentioned secretaries and hillbillies getting spanked and i always liked the captions (this one "i know i deserve a spanking, but can't cousin clem give it to me"and another where a blonde hillbilly woman in a flour sack is getting spanked by her Paw for eloping after he had bought a new shot gun for the wedding and boom's favorite where the secretary says"they never told me i could get spanked in secretarial school if i made mistakes") I am such a big fan of his otk (positioning, captions, models etc.) that even though i might have seen that picture a dozen times any time a new perpective is posted i still get excited by it like it was a new find. thanks for posting it.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

You'll be glad to know, Jim, that the blonde hill girl spanked by her Pa for eloping plus seven other DeCarlo spanking cartoons are in my files and will be featured as a series. I'm thinking I'd like to clear out my miscellaneous humor cartoons first, though.
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

i appreciate all your finds web-ed and i like that you share them with us. It seems like there were many of the the teenage-tennis meets. I remember archie giving Veronica a mighty swat and i seem to recall several others that involved spanking with a tennis racket (of course as a humorous side bar not a true spanking(pity).and it seem there were some fetching tennis outfits that certainly had many thinking of another use for them.)
Have a great day.
Jim
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Jim, your remark about "fetching tennis outfits" brings to mind something I may have mentioned before. I once saw a comment that "there was nothing like a tennis dress to make a woman look sexy." I say that a tennis dress is a perfect outfit for a woman to be wearing when she gets a spanking.
Short skirt flipped up, her tennis panties soundly spanked-until they are lowered for a spanking on the bare.
Years ago in the fetish mag Nugget I saw a cartoon depicting a very different outcome of the famous Battle of the Sexes tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billy Jean King.
As we know she won the match. But in the cartoon he won and the deal was loser gets spanked.
It shows her over a grinning Riggs' knee, panties down, getting spanked on her bare bottom with a tennis racket. Her facial expression shows that it is a painful one indeed.
I'd guess this was from the late 70s or maybe early 80s. What a great addition it would be here if it could be found.