Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

The First Humorama Spanking Cartoon?

Post by web-ed »

Here is the earliest Humorama "spanker" I have been able to document, dating from 1955 (there are a couple of Bill Ward's I've yet to post that are definitely from 1957 and 58). [And one I forgot about when I wrote this from 1956]. Humorama seems to go back to 1938, but there's precious little information about its early years. This is from a cover scan and is very hard to make out, but based on the signature, the position of the spanking arm, and the loose-fitting yet clingy dress fabric, I think it's Bill Wenzel, which would jibe with a claim I've seen that Wenzel did the first "spanker" in 1955. At the moment, this is the only "spanker" whose existence I can definitely prove but which is not available to me in any usable form.
[01/11/2012 Update: I later obtained a usable version of this cartoon and expect to add another shortly from the July 1955 issue of Comedy.]

Of course, there may be others, but I've gone over all the existing cover scans I can find. There was only one other I was looking for, and when I recently got a copy it turned out to be a Kirk Stiles F/M - rare, but not what we want here.
The first Humorama "spanker"?
The first Humorama "spanker"?
first_humorama_spanker.jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
Last edited by web-ed on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add note on Ward "spanker" from 1956.
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Re: Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Post by jimc »

hi web-ed,I must have gotten a bad scan because i can not make it out at all. It must be great to have found all these great books. Thank you for continuing your search. have a great day.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Bad Scan

Post by web-ed »

Jim,

The problem is that I extracted this from a small-sized scan of the cover. Since the spanking itself is only a small fraction of the cover, the resolution is terrible. And this is how I've searched for evidence of more Humorama spankings! All of the ones I found this way I could immediately recognize except this one and the Stiles F/M (which I found later). So there may not be any more. Alas, I found this one too late to pick up a cheap copy of the issue - mostly sellers want way too much money for these old Humorama digests, so I can't afford to collect them on the off chance I might find a spanking cartoon none of us has ever seen. I might be picking up an old issue of Joker soon, so let's keep our fingers crossed that it's got a "spanker" in it!
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Bill Wenzel Pierre's Reducing Salon

Post by web-ed »

I just discovered the existence of a Bill Wenzel "spanker" in which Pierre runs his reducing salon by (you guessed it) spanking the female patrons! Unfortunately I don't have a good scan of it, but I'll try to get one.

[06/20/2011 Update: Found the issue of Jest on the cover of which this one appeared. As an extra bonus, a larger version appears inside, along with another George Morrice spanker that I had never seen before!]
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Bill Ward (no spanking shown)

Post by hugob00m »

I ran across this cartoon that, although it doesn't show a spanking in progress, it looks like it could be the lead-up to one... especially after I re-captioned it.
ward 14.jpg
ward 14.jpg (164.24 KiB) Viewed 7811 times
The man's hand twitching by his side, makes it look like he's thinking of the same thing one of us would be thinking of!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi boom,

hey, thanks for posting this. i too noticed the twitching hand and to go along with that the evil smile on his face looks like he's thinking spanking to me :D . good find. thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Love the way Ward teases his readers.Every body knows that the curvy lady will be getting her birthday spanking real soon!!!
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI CSR I have seen you posting many spanking drawing from Bill Wenzel Dan Decarlo and Bill Ward but never anything from Don Flowers did he ever draw spanking comics ?? I was trying to buy the book call The GLamour Girls Of Don Flowers but could not find it anywhere. If anything I hope CSR could find drawings from this artist and post them on your website. THANKs CSR!!!!!
hugob00m

Re: Don Flowers

Post by hugob00m »

I don't think I've ever seen a spanking cartoon by Don Flowers. The closest I ever saw was one that mentioned spanking in the caption. The picture showed two women and one man sitting in a room together, and apparently the two women were a mother and her daughter. The caption was something like, "If I marry your mother, then I'll be your stepfather, and I'll get to spank you every night."
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Don Flowers Spanking Cartoons

Post by web-ed »

b00m,

I loved your enhancement of this Ward cartoon! The man's expression and twitching hand certainly do make it look like a Birthday Spanking is on his mind!

Butch,

Like b00m, I've never seen a spanking cartoon by Don Flowers. That doesn't mean there aren't any, of course - he had a long career, and he could even have done one under a pseudonym. I haven't seen a copy of The Glamour Girls Of Don Flowers although it is available from Amazon.com (cheap, but I still can't affort it!). Of course, if I learned there was a spanking cartoon inside, I'd hock my grandmother or something to raise the necessary cash, and of course if I ever run across a Flowers "spanker" I'll be quick to post it.

I have posted Humorama "spankers" by artists other than the Big Five (Ward, Wenzel, Stiles, DeCarlo, and Homer) in the past, and if it's any consolation to you, here are the other artists we'll be seeing along with them as part of the Humorama Series before the year is out: Frank Beaven, Herc Ficklen, George Morrice, Paul Hamilton, Paraschos, Quentin Miller, Wyatt, and Reamer Keller.

02/05/2013 Update: I later did further research on Don Flowers and did not come up with any spanking cartoons. I saw one of his cartoons in an unexpected place recently, so it's still possible there's one out there, but I think it's very unlikely.
Last edited by web-ed on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: add some names inadvertently left out.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Humorama Pea-Shooter Gag

Post by web-ed »

This one isn't quite a "spanker," but it's cute. It's taken from Breezy #28 (Oct. 1958) and is a combination of photo and art, something Humorama did every now and then.

Nice bending-over position with a tempting target, and while a pea-shooter isn't as good as a paddle, it's still fun! :lol:

By the way, there were also two true "spankers" in this issue, and while I already had copies in my files, the new scans will be added and we'll see them as part of the Humorama Series.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i got a chuckle out of this one. you know, it seems to me that drawings really have more potential than actual photographs do. case in point, the grin on the man with the pea shooter :lol: . of course. it's always nice to see a real girl too so this worked out well all around :D . thanks, phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Paging Jeff Patton

Post by web-ed »

[An open letter to Jeff Patton]

Dear Jeff,

I read your Humorama article for Scarlett Hill. If you're out there somewhere and see this, and if you'd like to write an article for CSR on the Humorama spanking cartoons, please contact me. My research into Humorama is ongoing, and I'm planning to write an article myself one of these days comparing the "Big Five" (Ward, Wenzel, Stiles, DeCarlo, and Homer), but I'd still value having your opinions in a separate article. And of course feel free to comment in this forum.

Thanks.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Drawings Vs. Pictures

Post by web-ed »

I think you're right, Phil, and the drawings do have more potential than actual photographs. I suppose it was natural for Humorama to try these mixed-medium gags since there were photos in every digest, sometimes just models in various stages of undress, and once with a spanking still from a movie (the only photographic depiction of a spanking I remember in these digests). This particular model, whom I don't recognize, was well-equipped to provide a good target for the grinning guy with the pea-shooter.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

There's a Bill Wenzel cartoon that is posted in your humor section, comparing the different signatures he sometimes used. I've never seen a really good copy of the "junior" cartoon, but I cleaned up the one you have, as much as I could do, and straightened out the weird angle.
Wenzel 22a.jpg
Wenzel 22a.jpg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 8564 times
There's a lot to like about this one. First of all there's an attractive woman being spanked on the seat of her panties... and there are the two ladies in the doorway. One is perhaps a new girl to the office, stunned at the sight of one of her colleagues in such a predicament. The other seems pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, as if, maybe that kind of thing happens all the time around there... and the position of her hands suggests (at least to my fevered brain) that she just might have been a recent recipient of a spanking herself! Could be that's how she knows about Junior!
butch46163@yahoo.com

WHAT NOT TO LIKE ABOUT THIS SPANKING IS RIGHT!!!! GREAT OVER THE KNEE POSITION WITH THE SPANKEE`S BOTTOMS UP HIGH ALSO LOVE THAT THERE IS WITNESSES WATCHING :lol: THIS REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SEEN ON TV MAD MAN :o
daneldorado

More New (?) Toons to Ponder

Post by daneldorado »

I don't know if any of these toons are already in your CSR site. Anyway, I found these in my files and thought I would send them to you:

This is my favorite of all the Dan DeCarlos I've seen:

And this one looks like a Wenzel we haven't seen yet:

More toons coming.

Cheers,
Dan
daneldorado

Re: More New (?) Toons to Ponder

Post by daneldorado »

Here's a couple more toons from my attic, er, files:

This next one, by Kirk Stiles, gives me a tingle every time I look at it. Why do you suppose that is?

Cheers,
Dan
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Thanks for posting these, Dan! I've seen all of them before, but the scans I saw weren't as clear as the ones you just posted. My favorite of the four is the Wenzel one. The lady's backside is nicely rounded, and at the higher resolution, I can see the brushstrokes of the shading that make her look three-dimensional and make the fabric of her dress look thin and filmy!
butch46163@yahoo.com

THANKS DAN FOR POSTING!!!! The Wenzel spanking has to be his best spanking drawing that I seen the so far! love how he drew her buttocks so round and plump she kinda look like one of Bill Ward drawing wished he would had giving the guy a hairbrush to spank her full bottom with :lol:The Kirk Stiles spanking is also nice love the over the knee position of the spankee with her bottom sticking up!! Can see that the spanker in charge juding how he holding her by the arm to keep her in place :twisted: The other two drawing are great too although I have seen them before. Just had a Earthquake here where I live and gotta leave the building THANKS!!!!!!!!!