Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
hugob00m

Re: Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Post by hugob00m »

daneldorado wrote:Dr. Mallard is the Medical Examiner attached to NCIS, and is known to spout off on esoteric subjects, quite a bit. In one episode, he proclaims that only nine (9) per cent of the people on the planet are left-handed, and that that percentage has remained steady through the years. Assuming that number is true in real life, you can see why most of the spanking pictures we see show right-handers doing the spanking.
There seem to be a disproportionate number of lefthanded spankers in the Humorama cartoons, and Mr. Goodman seemed not to object.

It's interesting that this topic was being discussed on Lefthanders' Day! (August 13th) And I forgot to celebrate! Last year I posted a little montage of lefthanded spankers from movies and stage. This year I didn't do anything! (Well, I suppose I probably put a pen in my left hand to sign something. I do that most days.)
web-ed
Site Admin

Spanking Southpaws

Post by web-ed »

I'm pretty sure the question of why so many left-handed spankers in cartoons has arisen before, but I didn't look it up just now. My guess would be that perhaps it's easier for the right-handed artist to visualize the spankee as she would appear over his own knee (head to the left). Once she's drawn in this position, the spanker would then have to be drawn spanking her left-handed or else using the wrong hand, which indeed we have seen many times. I personally don't mind seeing left-handed spankers for a very similar reason, since it makes it easier for me to imagine the spankee going over my own knee! :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

How Many More Humorama Spanking Cartoons Are There?

Post by web-ed »

With the market for old Humorama digests having gone crazy because of about two people (yesterday an issue of Joker which should have been worth about $5.00 sold for $32.00!), there is almost no chance that I will be able to get any more before my stock of Humorama spanking cartoons runs out on Aug. 30. But as the Humorama Series, which I've been running every week since the beginning of 2011, comes to a "close", the obvious question to be asked is, "How many more Humorama spanking cartoons are still out there waiting to be discovered?" I spent some time trying to analyze this problem, and I'd like to share my results now for all you Humorama fans out there.

My basic method was to determine what proportion of digests through the prime years of 1955 - 1962 I had no access to, and then compute how many "spankers" they might contain. As of 07/05/2013, I had 138 of 300 issues including 7 belonging to Steve W, who had scanned any "spankers" in them and sent them to me. This leaves 162 “missing” issues! However, the situation isn't as bad as it might seem because Humorama reprinted the 1955 - 1962 cartoons, in most cases twice, and because of the efforts of three people: myself, Dan, and Mike (M.D.). First, Dan had picked up a number of these cartoons over the years which he has shared with us here on this forum. Second, Mike bought a lot of digests during the mid-to-late 60's, obtaining many "spankers" on their second appearance. Finally, I had first become acquainted with Humorama's "spankers" on their third appearance during the 70's, and I had a small number of these. I decided somewhat arbitrarily that Dan, Mike, and myself between us had probably found 2/3 of the cartoons not available from their first appearance.

Assuming one "spanker" per digest, this leaves us with 54 missing cartoons. But I had discovered 43 via the internet, bringing us down to 11, and Michael recently found two more, leaving 9. I'm going to suggest we just round that up to 10. Another factor that has to be considered is that Humorama started buying some new cartoons again during the 70's - five from Bill Wenzel are known. Bill Ward was still active, although Dan DeCarlo was working only at Archie Comics, Kirk Stiles had retired from active cartooning, and Homer Provence seems to have died in 1975.

So where does that leave us? I'd say we should expect to find about 10 more spanking cartoons from the "classic" period, most likely done by Ward, Stiles, and George Morrice, and an unknown number from the 70's, probably most of them by Wenzel but possibly some by Ward. I'd love to find an unknown one by DeCarlo but I don't think it will happen. I expect it will take years to find any significant proportion of these given current market conditions, the scarcity of certain titles like the revived Wink, and the presumed spotty distribution of Popular Jokes and Popular Cartoons in Humorama's later years. And were there any spankings in Humorama's military title Snafu? Inquiring minds want to know :) !

Needless to say, when any new Humorama "spankers" come to light, I'll dust off the old Humorama Series and add another episode to it.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

thanks for the information on Humorama. i found it all interesting . it seems to me that estimating how many are still out there is a daunting task at best and i have to give you a tip of the hat for trying for us :D . i'll be watching for further updates on this matter as we go along. i had no idea that people were paying that much for these old mags and it makes me wonder just what they are doing with them? hopefully, the price will come down over time. in any case, thanks for doing all this for us :D . phil
bobj7188

Post by bobj7188 »

I'll add my thanks for your work collecting and sharing these cartoons. I also wondered what the person paying premium prices is doing with them. Two possibilities come to mind: 1) He (assuming the gender) is simply a collector with money. 2) He plans to profit from the purchases, in which case the cartoons may show up on a pay site. If the second is the case, then perhaps they will all become available in the near future. If the first, then perhaps contact could be made with the collector to see if he's willing to share.

Bob
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote: i had no idea that people were paying that much for these old mags and it makes me wonder just what they are doing with them?
bobj7188 wrote:Two possibilities come to mind: 1) He (assuming the gender) is simply a collector with money. 2) He plans to profit from the purchases, in which case the cartoons may show up on a pay site.
My best guess is that we're dealing with someone who's recently discovered the digests and who has a lot of money. I don't think there's too much money to be made from recycling Humorama cartoons - I only know of two people who have tried to make any money by publishing ebook versions of the digests, and neither of us has been getting rich (yes, I'm one of them, with two volumes of the digests for sale and more to follow when I can prepare them). Right now, my plan is to liquidate most of my own collection while the prices remain high (except for a few gems like the one that has the first modern "spanker" and the one from 1957 with four "spankers"), and then use the cash (after spending part of it on trivia like eating) to buy some of the digests from the classic period 1955-1962 I didn't have before, and of course from the 1972-1983 period when some new "spankers" were published.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Some Notes on the Classic Period of Humorama Spanking Cartoo

Post by web-ed »

Extensive research the past three years has revealed many interesting things about Humorama, and I'm continuing with it despite numerous obstacles, principally a shortage of some of these magazines at affordable prices. For instance, I can only prove the existence of one issue each of three titles (Wink, Quips, and Whiz-Bang) and can find none at all of Coffee Table, Eyeful of Fun, or Instant Laughs, even though there were promos for them in other Humorama magazines! And prices for the more common titles like Jest and Joker have gone through the roof. But one thing has become clear: Humorama had a "classic period" during which the vast majority of its 208 known spanking cartoons first saw print.

This classic period seems to have begun in 1955 - a search of available issues from 1954 has yet to produce a single "modern" spanking cartoon (i.e. one in which the OTK position is used). I had thought the period ran through 1962, but two recent discoveries suggest it was earlier.

First, I ran a lot of Joe Shuster spanking cartoons on CSR this year, one of two from Humorama and the rest from Nights of Horror and Continental over in the Picture Gallery. Now both of Shuster's Humorama "spankers" came from 1960, and in fact I haven't been able to find any of his cartoons in any Humorama digest after that time, despite the fact that Shuster needed money very badly as I noted during the Nights of Horror series. Also, having come into some digests from 1956 recently, I now realize that most of the cartoons I thought had premiered in 1961 had actually been printed for the first time in 1956, only 5 years before! The obvious conclusion is that Humorama started going reprint in 1961 and so the classic period ended in 1960. I'll have to update my recent article "Humorama: An Afterword", but I'll wait until I really have this nailed down.

1960 then was the pivotal year for Humorama in many ways: the prolific Jefferson Machamer (he must have contributed as many cartoons during the '50's as Bill Ward did, but alas no "spankers") passed away, Dan DeCarlo left to work exclusively over at Archie, and Joe Shuster began contributing - yet next year they went reprint! Why? I suspect it was mainly the accumulation of inventory combined with the fact that the publisher, Martin Goodman, must have believed the Humorama readership experienced a complete turn-over every five to seven years. Why he believed that is yet another mystery - was there some marketing research done? I wonder if we'll ever have the full answer. :?:
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

A "lost" Ward cartoon?

Post by hugob00m »

I ran across this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMEDY-11-62-HU ... SwaeRZMI0S

I don't think it's been featured here yet.
ward 31.jpg
ward 31.jpg (562.7 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
The lady's bottom is fully covered, but the way her dress drapes, it appears to be made of some thin slinky fabric that would allow her to feel the impact of the spanking. (And allow him to feel the firm curves of her buttocks!)

The gag of using expensive alcohol that was intended for drinking as a substitute for antifreeze was used by other cartoonists. I wonder if anyone ever did that?

I like this picture. It must've been one of Ward's earlier works. The woman's breasts are big, but not grotesquely so... and her backside definitely looks spankable!
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

This cartoon is one of three by Ward that are known to me and which will be posted when the Humorama Series resumes. I believe I only discovered it myself last year and did not have a first-rate scan available since I couldn't afford the book (Comedy Nov. 1962). This one, however, raises some questions that the other two do not, so it is an interesting find.

First, it's from 1962, which is into Humorama's known reprint period. However, it is plain to anyone who looks at enough of their digests from the '60's that Ward was still contributing some new cartoons during this time. But until this one showed up, none of them were spankers - if this is indeed a new (1962) cartoon. The style is still like Ward of the late 50's, but then, 1962 isn't far removed from that time. If the cartoon did first appear during the "classic" period (1955-60), then it must have been among the 17 digests from that era I have never been able to locate. That is unlikely (given the number of known cartoons whose first appearance must, by a process of elimination, be in those 17 digests since they were not in any of the others) but possible. (There are a few other digests whose very existence has been questioned, at least by me).

If Ward did a new "spanker" in 1962 with his old editor, Abe Goodman, gone, then it raises the possibility that might still be some other (not many) undiscovered Ward "spankers" from the '60's, which is a pretty exciting thought. We know that Goodman loved the "spankers" but apparently his successors were cooler toward them, except perhaps near the end when they were being featured very prominently, perhaps in an attempt to boost sales.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Wenzel cartoon better resolution.

Post by hugob00m »

This is one of my favorite Wenzel cartoons, and now I've found one at a better resolution!
Wenzel miss frenzy.jpg
Wenzel miss frenzy.jpg (616.06 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
hugob00m

Wenzel cartoon better resolution, AND COLORIZED!

Post by hugob00m »

I just added a bit of color. I hope you like it.
Wenzel miss frenzy colorized.jpg
Wenzel miss frenzy colorized.jpg (640.64 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
I think it makes the thin fabric of her dress look thinner and her yummy bottom look yummier!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi Boom,

I totally agree with you that you have made her gown look much more sheer and in the process, you've made her much more appealing and the whole drawing much more erotic :D ......WHEW! That was the first thing I noticed when I looked at this drawing ;) . BTW, don't you just love her facial expression :lol: . Thanks for sharing this with us. Phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Nice Color 8-) this is much much better!!!!! don`t know what up with the guy he seem not too interested in giving those two very round shapely buttocks a good hard spanking :x also it a wonder she didn`t slide off his lap being how straight his legs are :lol: :twisted:
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Thanks for enhancing this cartoon. I have to say this is one of my favorites also. Certainly is a picture and caption that makes me wonder what the backstory of this backside pounding might be? She could be anyone from his secretary to a flirty favor-seeking girlfriend of a junior officer :D
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Sensational job, b00m! Your coloring is very subtle and delicate, which is what Wenzel's ink-was technique requires. My own coloring abilities are so limited that I can't imagine doing anything like this. (My one colorization, that of a drawing of Batman spanking a bare-bottomed Marcia Monroe, does turn up elsewhere on the web every now and then, I'm pleased to report).

This fine version will of course be added to the page alongside your copy of the original (one of only two I have) and Oxken's variation. Even at this late date I have never been able to nail down where it first appeared, probably around 1957, but eventually I'll find it and then try to do all the updates for it in one fell swoop.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Here's one I haven't seen before. It was in a Ebay ad.
Wenzel prescription.jpg
Wenzel prescription.jpg (23.05 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
Not a very high resolution, but that was all I could get for the time being.
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Doctor Swatt deciding that his strong hand would be more effective on a naughty girl's bum than a hypodermic needle. More fun too! :lol:
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Doctor Swat have the cure for a naughty Woman`s Bottom :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Here's a better copy of the Bill Wenzel cartoon with the doctor spanking his patient.
Wenzel prescription.jpg
Wenzel prescription.jpg (212.03 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

What else will he fill? :twisted: