Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: A lost Wenzel?

Post by web-ed »

A most interesting find, Dan. I haven't seen it before, and in fact it may not be from Humorama at all. I have in my files one Wenzel spanking cartoon from a magazine called Pepper (of course we'll see it in the Humor Gallery once the Humorama Series concludes later this year), and Wenzel does seem to have been the big man with ANC's humor digest line based on the few books of theirs I have in my collection. It could have come from ANC, or it could have been even later - Ward and Wenzel remained actively producing men's humor cartoons after the other members of the "Big Five" retired from cartooning (as I believe Stiles and Homer did) or moved on to other things (after his Humorama days, DeCarlo concentrated solely on the Archie titles until they let him go).

The signature is interesting also: "W.W." Wenzel had several known signatures, but this is the first time I've seen this one. Logically, it should be either earlier than the ones I'm familiar with starting around 1955, or else later than his Humorama work, perhaps from Sex to Sexty. I'll hazard a guess that this is early work, but it will probably be a long time before we find out for sure.

As to the cartoon's merits, I certainly agree with Dan and Phil - this is a sexy one, and the spanker seems very determined. The spankee already looks dismayed, and since I think she's only gotten at most one swat up to this point, she's shortly going to look even more worried as the sting begins to set in! This is a welcome addition to this forum, and I'll have to add it to the Humor Gallery eventually.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: New (?) b&w toons

Post by web-ed »

Thanks for sharing these additional finds with us, Dan! The first one I'd never seen before, but as it involves a paddle and the bending-over position, I love it :D (Even though she should have been bending further over). It is apparently done by the same artist who did Humorama Series #3, otherwise known as Secretary Spanking #13. On that page, because the art was unsigned, I speculated that it might be Jack O'Brien. I still think it might be, although I don't know why O'Brien would have felt it necessary to use the pseudonym "Carpelli" unless it was because Harvey Comics, where he did a lot of work, was a very conservative publishing house. I feel this is unlikely because O'Brien signed other work, including two spanking cartoons, with his own name! (See Humorama Series #4 and #5).

One thing's for sure: if Carpelli is not O'Brien, he owes everything to him.
02/05/2013 update: I later found that "Carpelli" was really Henry Scarpelli - for the details, follow the link above to Secretary Spanking #13.

The second work is indeed by Quentin Miller, who occasionally contributed to Humorama. I already had two copies of this in my files, to which I have added Dan's. They will be posted as part of the Humorama Series later this year. As of this time, I have no detailed publication information, but it was definitely reprinted by Humorama some time during the 1960's.

Beyond question, young women in their 20's and 30's still require moral guidance, and it's our task to see that they get it in the form of spankings! Miller did indeed have the right idea in his cartoon, and throwing away the psychology book, or even using it as a paddle, is a spanking theme that crops up now and again. At the very least, we'll be seeing one by Kirk Stiles along these lines.
Last edited by web-ed on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change link name and add updated info on Scarpelli.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:The signature is interesting also: "W.W." Wenzel had several known signatures, but this is the first time I've seen this one. Logically, it should be either earlier than the ones I'm familiar with starting around 1955, or else later than his Humorama work, perhaps from Sex to Sexty. I'll hazard a guess that this is early work, but it will probably be a long time before we find out for sure.
Comparing this one to last week's update, which featured the earliest known Wenzel "spanker", I would tend to agree that this must also be one of his early works. What I'm looking at is the lack of an ink wash. Instead of using watered-down ink applied with a brush to do his shading, he did the whole drawing with the pen and did his shading with hatch lines. The "Junior" cartoon was drawn this way too.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote: Comparing this one to last week's update, which featured the earliest known Wenzel "spanker", I would tend to agree that this must also be one of his early works. What I'm looking at is the lack of an ink wash. Instead of using watered-down ink applied with a brush to do his shading, he did the whole drawing with the pen and did his shading with hatch lines. The "Junior" cartoon was drawn this way too.
Good observation - both Wenzel and Kirk Stiles appear to have adopted the ink wash after their early periods, although I'm less certain about Stiles since I don't have any of his work from the 1930's, which was before Wenzel even became active in the field.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Some more b&w oldies

Post by daneldorado »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember seeing these two cartoons posted here before. Anyway, give 'em a look and let me know what you think.

This first one, by Homer, continues his style of showing the spankee sort of enjoying her spanking. I think it's a pretty good gag, too.

The second one has, I think, an even better gag... and it's by Dan DeCarlo.

The girl being spanked looks an awful lot like DeCarlo's "Betty," from the "Archie" comics.

Let me know what you think of these, okay? If you don't, I cannot know if I should post any more ;)

Cheers,
Dan
Tanner

Re: Some more b&w oldies

Post by Tanner »

Both good ones. Love the period undies in the Homer one. The second one has been around, in various configurations. Believe it is here. However, the hillbilly girl is believed to be inspired by Daisy Mae of the L'il Abner comic strip(which had its spankings), and not Betty from the Archie comics.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote: This first one, by Homer, continues his style of showing the spankee sort of enjoying her spanking. I think it's a pretty good gag, too.
hi Dan,

i was thinking that i had seen this one recently, or at least one with the same gag so i checked the humor gallery. what i found was one titled "secretary spanking #21, also by Homer, that had a Morse code gag that was slightly different. on that page, web-ed had a link to "secretary spanking #9" which appears to be the one you posted here. web-ed also has a pic of Mary Tyler Moore for comparison which i found amusing because i was already thinking that the spankee in this one kinda looks like her :lol: . of course, i always wanted to see Mary Tyler Moore getting a spanking if for no other reason than she was good looking :D .
daneldorado wrote:The second one has, I think, an even better gag... and it's by Dan DeCarlo.
i like the panties made from a flour sack in this one :lol: good reason for a spanking too. i know i'd be mad if i had bought a new shotgun for the wedding :lol: . thanks for posting these. phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Homer Morse Code and DeCarlo Shotgun Wedding

Post by web-ed »

Phil spotted the Homer "Morse Code" one. By an extremely odd coincidence, just this past week I finally located its presumed second printing, in the January 1964 issue of Romp. We'll be seeing that version in due course when I add it to the Secretary Spanking #9 page Phil mentioned.

As to the DeCarlo hillbilly "new shotgun," this is the second one he did on the hillbilly theme (the first one being based on Li'l Abner). This one had not appeared here before although I believe JimC recalled it in a post. I've actually had it in my files for some time but hadn't gotten around to posting it yet because I decided to do ten of Kirk Stiles' and hold off on my DeCarlo stock until they were done. Your version may be cleaner, however, so thanks for posting it, Dan. I may add it to mine when I create the page for it.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiiya Web-ed:

Right you are! The "Morse code" gag was already in your files, as "Secretary Spanking #9." If you will permit me to say so, I think my copy is a generation (or two) closer to the original than the one in your "Humor Page" files. If your January 1964 pic is better yet, of course it should be re-published here.

By the way, thanks for the rapid responses to this posting. That's what I like to see: Teamwork!

Cheers,
Dan
daneldorado

Oldies but Goodies

Post by daneldorado »

I've been digging deeper into my trove of spanking toons, and I found these two. I don't remember seeing either of them posted here before. I may be wrong, but take a look. The first is a rarity from Kirk Stiles.

The second cartoon, by a person who signs as "Bo Brown," is one of the more audacious toons I have ever seen. Maybe some of you are familiar with it, but I cannot remember seeing it here before.

Remember, these toons are being posted for your consideration. Comments are expected and appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Re: Oldies but Goodies

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote:I've been digging deeper into my trove of spanking toons, and I found these two. I don't remember seeing either of them posted here before. I may be wrong, but take a look. The first is a rarity from Kirk Stiles.
hi Dan,

and of course the last line says S-P-A-N-K-M-E.........................good thing she's a little near sighted :lol: . i don't remember seeing this one before but i could be wrong.
daneldorado wrote:
The second cartoon, by a person who signs as "Bo Brown," is one of the more audacious toons I have ever seen. Maybe some of you are familiar with it, but I cannot remember seeing it here before.
this one i have seen before somewhere. i'm not familiar with Bo Brown but i can see that he has some interesting fantasies :D . he must be a nicer guy than i am too. i would have turned her over my lap and given her a birthday spanking all by myself. i will say that without exception all the potential spankers in this line appear to be "enthusiastic" about the prospect :lol: . thanks for posting these unusual spanking toons. phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Oldies but Goodies

Post by web-ed »

Thanks for posting these, Dan. Since I obtained them last year, I thought I was the only spanko to have both of them in his possession, and while they haven't been posted on CSR yet, new scans of both are slated to appear in the coming months as part of the Humorama Series.

The Stiles cartoon is interesting because it uses the bending-over position as part of its gag, which Stiles did occasionally, but the spankee in this one is bending over furthest, giving our spanker-optometrist a fine target :) . Bo Brown did a number of Humorama cartoons over the years, but this is his only "spanker" as far as I know. A real pity, because Brown was a very good humorist, and this is one of the funniest spanking cartoons Humorama ever published. Its only drawbacks are no OTK positioning and no face on Miss Gulick, although another part of her anatomy is showcased nicely enough. Every time I look at those guys running eagerly into the office to take their turn whacking Miss Gulick's behind, I think of the CSR Forum gang here. :D

07/08/2012 Update: I later posted this altered version of the cartoon on the "CSR Feedback Forum", and since it's already out on the server it won't cost us anything more to look at it again here. I accidentally left Butch out when I noticed two of the men looked enough alike to be brothers, as you will see.
Last edited by web-ed on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add my altered version of the Bo Brown spanking cartoon.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Re: Humorama Spanking Cartoons

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Web-ed... Today I found this old "Herc" toon in my files. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it has been posted here yet. It isn't in your "Comics Galleries" or your other picture folders. Anyway, I couldn't find it. Enjoy!

I'm glad I found this today. I always like to see spanking pics when the spankee is enjoying the session as much as the spanker is, and here it looks as if this girl is really turned on by it. And I am turned on by it as well, since Herc has her appearing so very innocent, and so very shapely.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Herc's Cop Spanks Cartoon

Post by web-ed »

Nice scan of this cartoon, Dan, so thanks for posting it. As a matter of fact, I do have not one but three other versions of this cartoon already posted - all of them reversed and with slightly different captions from yours. Plus, I had one more version in my files with which I will update the page along with yours in the near future. Still no publication details on any of the versions yet.

It is getting hard to pick out a particular cartoon on the Humor Gallery index page because I now have 152 posted from Humorama alone! It will become somewhat easier to search for a given Humorama cartoon once I unveil the new Humorama Spanking Cartoon Data Base, which I will at the conclusion of the Humorama Series. The new DB will be searchable by cartoonist.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Web-ed wrote:

Nice scan of this cartoon, Dan, so thanks for posting it. As a matter of fact, I do have not one but three other versions of this cartoon already posted - all of them reversed and with slightly different captions from yours.

Sorry to disagree with you, Web-ed... but no, you do NOT have a proper copy of this cartoon posted to your site already. Let me explain:

Whoever took this charming Herc toon and reversed it probably did so in order to show the spanker using his right hand rather than his left. As a long time cartoonist of spanking pics, I have always known that right-handed spankers are more common than lefties, and indeed my old publisher at Spank Hard always insisted that I draw only right-handers doing the deed.

But people who just casually decide to reverse a cartoon almost never take into consideration all the facets that will be affected by that decision. One of them, of course, would be if there was lettering in the toon that would be rendered unreadable in reverse. But in this Herc drawing, there is an even more offensive drawback.

You see, traditionally police officers wear their badges over the left side of their chest. On Google, we find this statistic, at eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5081876_meani ... z23OXGfZJf:

While many ranking officers wear their badges on their belts, it's traditional for uniformed officers to wear their badges on the left side of their chests. This is even reflected in the fact that uniform shirts have extra support on that side of the chest with guiding points for securing the badge. This is symbolic of the oath that all police officers take, and the badge is worn over the heart to show that pledge.

At http://www.northamptonpd.com/about-npd/ ... iform.html, we read:

Badges are worn on the left side of the chest. Many officers who have received departmental awards wear their commendation bars just over the badge.

There are several other entries, but you get the idea. The badge is always worn on the left side of the chest, never on the right side.

When the original mutilator switched the cartoon to make the cop a right-handed spanker, he or she neglected to change the badge also. So now you've got a deformed toon showing a cop with his badge on the wrong side of his uniform.

I like my scan better. Oh, and by the way, I have no bias against left-handed spankers... but the badge thing is kind of immutable.

Cheers,
Dan
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hi again, Web-ed:

Apropros of my recent message stating that uniformed police officers always wear their badges over the left side of their chest, here are some earlier cartoons of mine that reinforce that tradition:

Hope you don't consider this overkill, but I can't tell you how much I want to honor that tradition.

Cheers,
Dan
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Wow! Great find, Dan! All of the previous scans I had ever seen of this cartoon were reversed... and lacking some of the detail on the trim of the girl's panties. Whoever did the reverse neglected to fix the badge placement, but did at least turn the signature to be readable without a mirror.

Until you pointed it out, I had never noticed where police officers wear their their badges. I may have to check my O.T. Katie cartoons that have a cop in them to see if I did it wrong!
daneldorado wrote:Whoever took this charming Herc toon and reversed it probably did so in order to show the spanker using his right hand rather than his left. As a long time cartoonist of spanking pics, I have always known that right-handed spankers are more common than lefties, and indeed my old publisher at Spank Hard always insisted that I draw only right-handers doing the deed.
Maybe the editor was raised in a Catholic school. I never attended one, but I've heard some horror stories from some friends who did. A lot of teachers in the public schools didn't like lefties either. Fortunately, much of that bias has eased.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Herc's Cop Spanking Cartoon

Post by web-ed »

I hadn't really thought about it, but now that I check with my nearly-photographic memory, I realize you're right, Dan - every uniformed cop on television I have ever seen, from Highway Patrol to Dragnet to T.J. Hooker, does wear his badge on his left side. I probably should have picked up on this because of my Boy Scout days - the Badge of Rank was always worn on the LEFT front shirt pocket.

All three of the scans I have currently out there look alike because #'2 and #3 were clearly based on #1 - the only one available, I believe, until you posted this one. I have one more still in the files, and it's non-reversed, but it isn't as clear as yours. I will add both non-reversed versions to the page when I can.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote: I'm glad I found this today. I always like to see spanking pics when the spankee is enjoying the session as much as the spanker is, and here it looks as if this girl is really turned on by it. And I am turned on by it as well, since Herc has her appearing so very innocent, and so very shapely.
hi Dan,

i'm glad you mentioned this since the spankee does indeed look like she's enjoying it. as a matter of fact, she seems so pleased it seems likely to me that our innocent, young spankee is smiling because her plan to get a spanking has worked so well :D . perhaps she couldn't get her dad to spank her so she just kept misbehaving until someone finally did take her in hand ;) .
daneldorado wrote: Badges are worn on the left side of the chest. Many officers who have received departmental awards wear their commendation bars just over the badge.
good proof reading Dan. i too knew that badges are worn on the left side but had completely missed that in the reversed ones web-ed has posted. in my defense though i may have been concentrating on other aspects of the toon :lol: .
daneldorado wrote:Whoever took this charming Herc toon and reversed it probably did so in order to show the spanker using his right hand rather than his left. As a long time cartoonist of spanking pics, I have always known that right-handed spankers are more common than lefties, and indeed my old publisher at Spank Hard always insisted that I draw only right-handers doing the deed.
i thought it was interesting that your old boss actually insisted that you draw the spankers right handed. as you mention, there are more right handed spankers because it is more common to be right handed. personally, i always have the spanker spanking with his right hand which seems more natural to me. it seems to me that there are a high percentage of spanking toons that are drawn with the spanker using his left hand though.................this one that you posted is an example of that. do you have any thoughts about why this would be so?? does anyone else have any thoughts about this? thanks, phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Phil wrote:

i thought it was interesting that your old boss actually insisted that you draw the spankers right handed. as you mention, there are more right handed spankers because it is more common to be right handed. personally, i always have the spanker spanking with his right hand which seems more natural to me. it seems to me that there are a high percentage of spanking toons that are drawn with the spanker using his left hand though.................this one that you posted is an example of that. do you have any thoughts about why this would be so?? does anyone else have any thoughts about this? thanks, phil

Interesting topic. If you follow the CBS program NCIS, you will be familiar with the competent but wordy "Doctor Mallard," played to perfection by the former "Man from U.N.C.L.E.", David McCallum. Dr. Mallard is the Medical Examiner attached to NCIS, and is known to spout off on esoteric subjects, quite a bit. In one episode, he proclaims that only nine (9) per cent of the people on the planet are left-handed, and that that percentage has remained steady through the years. Assuming that number is true in real life, you can see why most of the spanking pictures we see show right-handers doing the spanking.

But not always. Over the years, Superman has been involved in several spankings, and although he usually spanks with his right hand, there's a toon from a daily Superman comic strip in the 1930s where he spanks "Lil Danvers" with his left hand. Guess nothing is impossible for the Man of Steel. Dave Wolfe has also chimed in with a cartoon showing Superman spanking his young girl cousin, using his left hand.

In the venerable "Smilin' Jack" comic strip there's a scene showing the young brat "Cindy" getting spanked by Lone Jones, and he is using his left hand... although the majority of "Smilin' Jack" spankings were delivered by right-handers.

Remember "The Phantom?" There is a famous strip in which the Phantom is stranded on a deserted island with the two members of the Sky Band, both of them lovely but evil young women. I think this strip was first published in 1936 or 1937. He takes his time and spanks both of them... using his left hand, he spanks Sala, and a few minutes later he spanks her partner Margo with his right hand. Dude was ambidextrous. [These spankings originally appeared on Nov. 30, 1941 - Web-Ed]

I don't know what year The Phantom spanked Queen Pera, who had tried to have him kidnapped [Feb. 1946 - Web-Ed]. But he catches up to the lusty monarch and, while seated on the queen's own throne, he spanks her with his left hand. A day or so later, he and his girlfriend Diana escape Pera's kingdom, and Pera angrily orders the two of them followed and captured. But the queen's orders are denied. Why? She has angered her assistant, Count Jorge. He matter-of-factly puts the lovely monarch over his knee and gives her a second spanking... this time, with his right hand.

So, it seems that while most of the spankers we see in the comics are right-handers, there is no shortage of left-handers either.

Cheers,
Dan