Missed Opportunities in Humorama

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Behind in Jeopardy/Pratfall

Post by web-ed »

Let's have some more Missed Opportunities now, with our theme today being what we have referred to in the past as the "Behind in Jeopardy" cartoon, along with a couple of pratfalls.

1. Our first two cartoons feature the trombone slide as the unlikely instrument of punishment - some of you may remember that Jack Cole did one along these lines which we've posted somewhere, probably on this forum, but we can't recall its exact location at the moment. The artist of #1? Bill Ward! This one appeared in the June, 1958 issue of Breezy.

This girl doesn't appear too bright, but she's learned not to stand too close to the bandstand in the future. :)

2. From an artist known only as "Hancock" comes a very similar gag, although this time the sore-bottomed victim of an "accidentally" applied trombone slide is herself a member of the orchestra!

We cannot help but note that the trombonist does not appear particularly contrite :lol: !

3. We saw Lou Magila's second "spanker" over in the Humor Gallery on the main site last week. Here's Magila with a gag that revolves around the double-meaning of "sticking a pin in Georgia". This is a fully-drawn cartoon not typical of Magila, who more commonly created collages of drawings and old Humorama model photos. It does make more sense than most of his cartoons, but it's still rather odd that Johnny is either a kid or a very short man, and that he's wearing a tuxedo for some reason.

From the June, 1957 issue of Stare.

4. Pratfalls are never as good as spankings, but they offer a moment's amusement. Here's one from an issue of Whiz-Bang. The publication date is unknown, but this is not from the short time it was being published by Humorama. For the ice to have cracked that way it must have been a really hard pratfall :o !

Artist unknown. Presumably from the Fawcett era, when this magazine was known as Captain Billy's Whiz-Bang.

5. What is it about very short men in offices that has such an appeal to cartoonists? Like Lou Magila, Stan Reid offers us a diminutive poindexter type whose solid work ethic gets him in Dutch with the boss, who's busy with working his secretary overtime ;) . He unceremoniously dumps her on the floor. Better he should have bent her over the desk for the paddle or turned her over his knee, but she won't be sitting down too comfortably for a little while even as is. :)

From the January, 1966 issue of Romp.

6. This last gag is straight out of Burlesque. Like the foot or swat to the behind, striking a match on someone's seat is a mark of complete and total disrespect - and we love it! Of course, the most refined form of violating a pretty girl's private space remains the spanking, but this will have to do for now.

From the September 1954 issue of Nifty, one of the Wolf Books. Nice bending-over position! :D
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Ambiguous Situations

Post by web-ed »

Let's take a look now at some cartoons where the situation presented is somewhat ambiguous - is this about spanking or not? We may surmise that spanking was not intended to be suggested by most of them, but there are a couple where I really wonder.

1. I'm not sure what exactly was going through Kirk Stiles' mind when he did this cartoon for Humorama (around 1956 I'd bet, although this is the reprinted version from the October 1961 Laugh Riot. Mr. Halbrook looks more like a lunatic than a lecher, having to use his right hand to restrain his left - from doing what? Knowing Stiles, we'd think groping her breasts, but from the way he's drawn her behind maybe Mr. Halbrook just wanted to give her a good solid swat. We know how he feels!

Art by Kirk Stiles.

2. This one's not from Humorama. It's the September 1954 issue of Picturescope and the model is Marian Stafford. What the position of her hands was intended to suggest I can't say, but stinging buttocks is sure a fun possibility! :)

3. Very similar to #2: here's model Joy Laine from the April 1963 issue of Gaze with her hands on her behind. Probably there was no intention to suggest a spanking, but the thought that Joy might have just taken a good paddle swat certainly comes to my mind rather easily! I even rewrote the caption... :D

4. I'm doing never-before-seen "spankers" by George Morrice this week and next over on the main site as part of the Humorama Series, so it's appropriate to present this one by Morrice here. It was sent to me by a fellow Humorama enthusiast who knows about CSR. Maybe Mirabelle the Maid has been sliding down the bannister, but I'd prefer to believe she's been spanked by the master :lol: !
Art by George Morrice. From Cartoon Fun and Comedy #6.

5. Here's another effort by Kirk Stiles, this time from the Wolf Book Nifty, to which he occasionally contributed. This female burglar is obviously a bad girl, and she's been caught red-handed, so a red-bottomed punishment would seem (to us at CSR) most condign. But the triumphant homeowner may have conventional sex in mind. No imagination - that's his problem! :lol:
From the September 1955 issue of Nifty. Art by Kirk Stiles.

6. A third example by Stiles now: The secretary says she doesn't think she can do "two laps before lunch," a play on the idea of running or swimming laps. But did the boss have in mind that she should sit on his lap or be turned over it? No way to be sure, especially since Stiles has done both spanking cartoons and ones where the secretary is just supposed to sit on the boss's knee, but I can't help but notice how she's bending over just a bit...
Art by Kirk Stiles. From the Feb. 1974 issue of Joker, but obviously originally printed during the 1956-60 period.

7. Very similar to the Stiles cartoon in #6 is this one by Bill Riley, who did one "spanker" for Humorama that we've seen. This time the secretary even refers to "the seat of the problem" as the boss reaches for her, but again, is he trying to spank her or just get her to sit on his lap? We'd say the latter (even though we'd prefer the former) based on his expression and the fact that he's pulling the secretary toward him back first.
Art by Bill Riley. From the January 1957 Comedy.

8. "He was light-headed and heavy-handed" complains this girl to her roommate. And there's the outline of his hand, but not quite low enough and the area light against her darker skin, suggesting it was resting there while she tanned at the beach. (Better it should have been the other kind of tanning, but that leaves a dark impression on a light background :D ).
Art by Herc Ficklen. I forgot which digest I found this one in.

9. This one's unique: there's no question that spanking is part of the subject when you take the hired girl to the woodshed with a paddle in your hand. But one of the female onlookers informs us that "she seems too damn willing to go!" Now is this because she likes bending over to receive swats with the paddle or because something other than paddling is going on in that woodshed? You tell us. :)
From the Feb. 1958 issue of Nifty. Art by Filchock, who did no known spanking cartoons but did contribute to Humorama and (as here) the Wolf Books.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

More Missed Opportunities in Humorama

Post by web-ed »

This is the last group I have at the present time. Our theme today is "Asking for it/Targeted behinds" :D

1. The cover of the April 1953 Charley Jones Laugh Book contains the clearest example of "asking for it" I ever expect to see :lol: ! This secretary should have been over her boss's knee for an extended spanking about 10 seconds later, but as far as I know it never happened (I wasn't able to obtain a copy of this issue but don't believe it had a spanking).

2. Paddle-ball paddles have been used for actual spanking, although they're really too thin and light (I have a lexan version, 1/4" thick, that remedies this deficiency!). Here it's used for the next best thing: hitting a girl in the butt with a projectile :lol: !
From the January 1957 issue of Gee-Whiz. Art by Henri Parmentier.

3. The classic device for speeding a projectile to the best possible target is the boy's pea-shooter, so named because it was traditionally used with (hard dried) peas. To make it even better here, the girl is wearing a bikini. Art by Martin Filchock, who did the "Hired Girl Paddling" we saw last time. Looks like she felt the sting - yes! :lol:
From Wise Cracks, April 1956.

4. "Touching Bottom" is the ambiguous phrase on which the gag in this one depends. Morely Burteen is the artist.
From Popular Jokes (May 1968) although it must have been printed earlier.

5. Combining both themes, "Asking for it" and "Targeted Behinds" (in a way) is this effort from an artist named Radigone:
I think the wife here is telling her new husband that he needs to take that paddle out of her hand and apply it firmly and repeatedly to her behind. ;)
From the October 1970 issue of Romp.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Re: Missed Opportunities in Humorama

Post by hugob00m »

I'm not quite sure where to post this. It isn't a Humorama picture, but it sort of fits in the same topic with women doing pratfalls, getting goosed by trombones and getting shot with peashooters. This young lady, painted by Edward Runci, looks like she's about to get stung on her cute little backside by a bee.
Attachments
beesting.jpg
beesting.jpg (223.7 KiB) Viewed 8835 times
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hugob00m wrote:I'm not quite sure where to post this. It isn't a Humorama picture, but it sort of fits in the same topic with women doing pratfalls, getting goosed by trombones and getting shot with peashooters. This young lady, painted by Edward Runci, looks like she's about to get stung on her cute little backside by a bee.
hi boom,

i have no idea where this belongs either, except on CSR :lol: what i can state with certainty is that i like it :D :D . thanks for sharing it with us. phil
hugob00m

Re: Missed Opportunities: Vikki Dougan!

Post by hugob00m »

In case any of you don't already know, Vikki Dougan was a model and an actress. She was best known for wearing a backless dress... cut clear down to her butt-crack. Her reason for doing so was that she didn't have the spectacular boobs to compete with Jayne Mansfield or Jane Russell... but her shapely bottom was a real attention-getter. Her acting talent wasn't all that great either... but WOW! All the male eyes would follow her whenever she appeared wearing an outfit that showcased her marvelous derriere!

Considering that she seemed to enjoy using her... "assets" to gain notoriety, WHY didn't anyone ever do a movie, an episode of a TV show, or even a photo session that featured Vilkki getting her lovely posterior spanked?

I hadn't thought about Ms. Dougan for quite a while, and then I ran across this photo of her:
vikki dougan 1.jpg
vikki dougan 1.jpg (112.23 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Now THERE is a missed opportunity!
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

I remember the Vicki Dougan song but did not realise she was a real girl.
"Vicki turn your back on me, come on darling just for me
"Cause there is something most appealing, that your eyes are not revealing.."
hugob00m

Re: Missed Opportunities: Vikki Dougan!

Post by hugob00m »

Hi WillJohn.
willjohn wrote:I remember the Vicki Dougan song but did not realise she was a real girl.
The Limelighters. I looked up that song and listened to it again. It had some funny lyrics and, of course I liked the topic!

Vikki Dougan was and still is real. Apparently she's still alive at the age of 91.
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

She had a very nice arse. She made a few films, unfortunately I do not think any of those films involved a spanking.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

willjohn wrote:She had a very nice arse. She made a few films, unfortunately I do not think any of those films involved a spanking.
It's a shame! She and her publicity agent wanted for her butt to be the center of attention, and what better way to do that than a spanking?
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

willjohn wrote:I remember the Vicki Dougan song but did not realise she was a real girl.
There's an odd coincidence regarding that song: It was performed by the same singers who sang the opening theme of McLintock!
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Had forgotten that song completely! The Limeliters another forgotten group from that period, not the greatest music, but still much better than the swill coming out now.
Great picture of the voluptuous Vikki! Oh, just imagine her getting a hard spanking over that thin wet dress in a movie! One thing for sure, if the scene had required multiple takes ,she'd be eating standing that evening!
By the time that song came along, movie spankings may have fallen out of favor with the industry. McLintock can be seen as a
Last Hurrah, can't think of many afterwards. Not that so many films didn't need one. Imagine Mrs. Robinson getting spanked in The Graduate! Or mini-skirted Mom in Harper Valley PTA!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Vikki Dougan

Post by web-ed »

Good one, B00m! I know I've seen this before and in fact I remember downloading it, but it's not in any of my CSR files and I don't know why I didn't think of its potential as a "missed opportunity". Vikki was sure made for spanking! According to IMDB she was in an episode of Sea Hunt, and I think there's a good chance she would have worn a swimsuit there but I haven't seen that show in years and don't remember that particular episode.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Another Behind in Jeopardy

Post by web-ed »

This one is by Frank Beaven, who did a number of spankers for Humorama (six are known). You have to admire the aim of the bloke in the downstairs apartment who manages to shoot this girl in the behind with a champagne cork, and through the ceiling yet!

No spanking, but at least we get another sore rear end. :) It reminds me a little of a scene in one of those Home Alone movies where a female burglar gets shot in the butt with a small rubber ball. I actually have that scene on my A-V computer (I have a separate computer I built myself for audio and video editing), and we will eventually see it in the Video Section on the main site, but of course I've been unable to prepare it for a variety of reasons. Some day...
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Too bad this beauty wasn`t over a knee wwhat a figure :D :D also how powerful is those corks :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

The girl's floor must have a bad termite problem if a cork can be fired through it :roll:
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

willjohn wrote:The girl's floor must have a bad termite problem if a cork can be fired through it
Termites? That might be part of the problem. Those champagne bottles must be under some serious pressure to pop a cork through the ceiling drywall (or lath and plaster if it's an old building) and then through the sub-floor and floorboards of the apartment above, and still have enough velocity to hit the girl's bottom hard.

Physics problems aside... I still like that there's a shapely girl standing there rubbing, with some pain stars radiating from her cute round backside.

Of course I would've liked it even better if her discomfort had been the result of a spanking... but, Hey... as Mick Jagger said, "You can't always get what you want."
web-ed
Site Admin

Two Behinds in Jeopardy from the Wolf Books

Post by web-ed »

As I'm starting another series of spankings in Humorama's rival publications over on the main site, I thought it appropriate to get some of the other "Rivals" material that I've been holding on to out there for everyone to see. I scanned most of these years ago. Two modest examples follow.

First, the old "spear" gag from an unknown issue of Nifty:

The artist signed his name "H. B." and looks like Henry Boltinoff to me. Boltinoff did some cartoons for Humorama, but no "spankers". We've certainly seen this gag before, among other places in The Inferior Five, where Dumb Bunny had her posterior poked a couple times with The White Feather's bow.

Then it's branding time in the old west from a September issue of Wham!, year unknown:

Art by Harry Mace, who is unfamiliar to me. I believe I took the picture from Ebay.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.

Hmmmm. Regarding the guy with the spear... I suppose the clear implication was that he was poking the girls with the point. However, I saw a story once featuring the incompetent superheroine, "Empowered", with a guy who was using the flat side of his spearhead as a paddle. To me, that would be a lot more fun.

The artist gave the girls cute round rears without much covering. No wonder they got so much attention in that area.

The girl who's about to get branded has a nice round posterior. No wonder the cowboy wants to stake his claim to it.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Super nice rear but branding it would be cruel :twisted: :o :o Good find 8-) 8-)