New (?) toons to ponder

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: New (?) toons to ponder

Post by web-ed »

This is pretty weird! The Herc cartoon you posted two days ago is one I only discovered myself yesterday :o . I was very sure no one else had ever seen it and I was even thinking of using it for the finale of the Humorama Series, but I'll use something else now because I would like it to be something that everyone hasn't already seen.

Next, the Quentin Miller "when psychology fails" cartoon had been posted here once before - by you - and by a complete and total coincidence it is also today's entry in The Humorama Series (I chose it several weeks ago because I plan the updates several weeks ahead). :!:

Finally, the Harry Jones cartoon is one I can't believe you managed to pick up in the past - I only found it myself a few weeks ago in an obscure magazine not at all known for spanking cartoons. I won't give the publication details here because there's time enough for that next year when I present it (it's not Humorama), but I think it's very clear that Harry Jones was not a spanker, as you surmised. He's also not a particularly gifted cartoonist, I'm afraid, and in fact made the "wrong hand mistake" because he swiped the secretary's figure as well as the idea of a secretary spanking from Bill Wenzel, probably after already drawing the spanker using his right hand! Bad way to plan your composition.

It was in fact swiped from Wenzel's first secretary spanking (and Humorama's first OTK spanking cartoon, although I have called it Secretary Spanking #26 in the Humor Gallery). You can see this for yourself very plainly:

Actually, Dan, this cartoon was in your personal collection at one time and maybe still is, although you never posted it here, which is yet another crazy coincidence. It first appeared in July 1955, while Jones' copy showed up 6 months later in January 1956.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Here's a drawing without a signature, but it's obviously one of Wenzel's.
Wenzel 31a.jpg
Wenzel 31a.jpg (242.87 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
The lady is nicely-curved, and the men in the crowd are certainly enjoying the show. I believe this drawing may have accompanied an article advocating the leglization of "wife-spanking". Ah, yes! A worthy cause if there ever was one. I have no idea what magazine it might have been, much less any information about a possible publication date.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I have no idea what magazine this may have been taken from. Dave Wolfe posted it on his "Wolfietoons" blog, and he didn't know the source either, just that Dick Williams drew it.
williams 1a.jpg
williams 1a.jpg (138.18 KiB) Viewed 9323 times
I think it must've been insoired by this publicity still for Suddenly It's Spring.
suddenly its spring.jpg
suddenly its spring.jpg (16.46 KiB) Viewed 9323 times
The pose is the same and the clothes are the same except for the man's hat, and the dreadfull color of his pants. From what I've read, Suddenly It's Spring didn't actually feature a spanking scene, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen it. If anybody knows anything about what magazine article this illustration was meant to accompany,please fill me in!
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

These are fine finds, B00m - thanks for sharing them! I think I may have seen the Suddenly It's Spring one somewhere before, but I don't know the details. I'll have to do some research, or perhaps Dan knows more about this one. I don't remember it being on his old Cinema Swats video, though.

Dick Williams certainly seems to have based his work on that earlier publicity still. It certainly looks like it came from a magazine, but which one? Much as I'm grateful to people who scan old spanking drawings, I sure wish they'd include the publication info in the file name - it would make things much easier. I suppose many of them are not spankos and don't realize the level of historical interest in these things.

Now as to the Wenzel drawing - I had never seen it before but have managed to trace it to an article by one Edgar Noble titled "Let's Legalize Wife Spanking," and I have a two-page reproduction, but I can't identify the magazine. I think I'll put some more time in trying to find out what it was before presenting it. Anyway, you've got the best part here - by the way, did you or Dave enhance the coloring? It was originally printed with a pink-orange accent tone, which reminds me of the Humorama Digest covers since they always had one accent color.

From the subject matter, I would guess this one dates from the late-60's to very early 70's. We know Wenzel was still active during the 70's, and in fact was still doing occasional new "spankers" for Humorama (I have one more of these in my files we'll see in May). Wenzel, like Ward but unlike Stiles, Morrice, DeCarlo, or Homer as far as is known, did spanking cartoons for non-Humorama publications, and this was certainly one of them. I also have a Wenzel spanking cartoon from 1956 for one of these publications, and I hope to get around to posting it eventually as I believe it's another original discovery of mine. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Some 'toons for Dan

Post by web-ed »

These are mainly for Dan, but I decided to post them here where everyone could see them because they give a fuller picture of what the Humorama non-spanking cartoons were like. These have a common theme of showing plenty of leg, and nobody is more appreciative of nice legs than Dan! Enjoy, everyone :!: :D

1. Bill Wenzel, from the June 1962 issue of Gaze.

2. Dave (Davy) Berg, best remembered now for doing "The Lighter Side of..." for many years in Mad magazine, was a pretty good girlie cartoonist, and it's a real pity he did no known "spankers".

3. The great Dan DeCarlo!

4. Frank Beaven, who had more signatures that anyone else who comes to mind, and who did a few spanking cartoons.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi everyone,

we've had a lot of activity here the last couple weeks. Boom, I too saw that drawing by Dick Williams posted at the Wolfietoon blog. you must have a really good memory to have connected it with that article or ad for the movie with Fred MacMurray . i sent Dave Wolfe a link to this page so he can check this out. maybe he'll have some more information for us once he sees this. i do agree with you that the photo of the spanking is undoubtedly Williams inspiration. the similarities are just too close. web-ed, i liked all the drawings you posted here too. there isn't any spanking but i do love to see a girl with her dress pulled up :D . i like the idea of the girl testing the "air holes" :lol: . not only humorous but also, there's just something about seeing something that you aren't supposed to that appeals to me 8-) . thanks, phil
daneldorado

Re: Some 'toons for Dan

Post by daneldorado »

Wow! Many, many thanks, Web-ed, for posting those toons with girls flashing their legs! I've got many early pics like these, but none whatsoever that were printed after, say, 1960. But actually, WHENEVER stuff like this gets posted, I immerse myself in it immediately, regardless of what year it is.

You offer three (3) toons that show pretty girls lifting their skirts for us. (I do not include the "test pilot" toon because in that one, the girl's hands are not doing the lifting.) And obviously, the one I like the most is the one by DeCarlo. I love his artwork, and he certainly seems to know the proper positions for this sort of art.

Since you yourself, Web-ed, are a fan of girl spanking -- now I think of it, you are the NUMBER ONE fan of spanking pics! -- I assume you understand how a fan fetish can grab your attention and hold onto it for a long, long time. This "cheesecake" fetish has been my constant companion for lo these many years.

I've been able to collect some pretty good pictures of skirt-lifting girls of late, but they are all photos. In case you care, here's a couple.

ImageImage

As for more toons of this type, I haven't seen any lately. But I do recall seeing one toon, a splash page from a "Plastic Man" comic (must have been from the 1940s) that shows a "bad girl" (e.g., a villainess who is in excellent physical shape) and she is trying to hitch a ride from a passing car. As you know, back then some ladies would lift their skirts to stop a car, and usually that maneuver would be successful. :D Anyway, in my feverish mind I recall that in the "Plastic Man" toon, the lady's hitch hiking position revealed that she was in Excellent shape. :lol: Must have been the prettiest "bad girl" ever. Anyway, I would give anything to have a copy of that pic in my hands.

Thanks again, Web-ed... for everything.

Cheers,
Dan
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:These are mainly for Dan, but I decided to post them here where everyone could see them because they give a fuller picture of what the Humorama non-spanking cartoons were like. These have a common theme of showing plenty of leg, and nobody is more appreciative of nice legs than Dan! Enjoy, everyone
Dan isn't the only one who enjoys a pair of shapely feminine legs. In fact, I suppose that the appeal of a spanking cartoon to non-spankos would be the fact that they usually showed the skirts raised and the legs kicking. One of my favorite leg artists among the Humorama cartoonists is one you didn't include this time. Bill Ward always drew some nicely-shaped legs on his women AND he did such a wonderful job showing the shine of their stockings.
ward 07a..jpg
ward 07a..jpg (199.24 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
Here is one example of a Ward cartoon with shiny black stockings.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Bill Ward and Kicking Legs

Post by web-ed »

Ah hah! Now I know why you always did those kicking legs in your early animations, b00m! (The interested reader could probably find these most easily by searching (use the search box on the home page) on "b00m" and then following all the links that contain "humorpage" in the address, or to put it another way, that do not contain "viewtopic" in the address ("viewtopic" means it's a page here in the CSR Forum).

Because Ward became so boob-crazy as the years went by it's easy to forget that he also did a fine job drawing nice long legs and nice round butts! The legs especially were emphasized during his early "glamor girl" work in the 1940's. In those days, he mainly pencilled, so he had to get his effects that way or rely on the pen and brush of his inker (perhaps he inked his own work some of the time). The drawing you've selected for us here shows Ward at his best, probably from the late 50's, demonstrating his great skill with the conte crayon. The sheen on the gloves and stockings is amazing!

Also, Ward tended to draw kicking legs more often than the other Humorama artists when doing a spanking cartoon. My only problem with this was that he didn't always confine the motion to the knee joint, often allowing hip flexion on one side which pulled the buttocks out of alignment. How many spanking cartoons Ward drew all together is something we may never know (he did 38 we know of for Humorama).
-- Web-Ed
Dave Wolfe

Post by Dave Wolfe »

Hiya, Boom!

Y'know, I'd seen that Fred MacMurray movie poster a long time ago, but never made the connection to the Dick Williams illustration! There's no doubt it was the "model!" In fact, I think I'll call it a "swipe," which Mr. Williams certainly didn't need to do!

Thanks very much for the heads up, i think I'll do a blog entry about "swipes" and feature your discovery! hey, next time you drop over, say "Hi!" :D
web-ed
Site Admin

More Leg toons for Dan

Post by web-ed »

Here's a couple of items I set aside a while ago.

1. This is from George Morrice's peak years at Humorama (1956-57). Morrice did a lot of spanking cartoons, but he did some skirt-raising ones too, as in this example from the January 1957 issue of Comedy:

2. This one came from e-bay. It's some sort of reproduction of the cover from the June, 1951 issue of Titter. This and other of Robert E. Harrison's girlie publications did have occasional spankings during this period, but they were mostly girl/girl. I have a few of them, but they tend to be expensive. What spankings I do have from them we'll surely be seeing one of these days.

-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i like pics of skirts being raised just fine :D . i particularly like the one in Titter.............both the look up her skirt and the pained expression on her face ;) . the girl is very nicely drawn. do we know anything about the artist? thanks, phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:hi web-ed,

i like pics of skirts being raised just fine :D . i particularly like the one in Titter.............both the look up her skirt and the pained expression on her face ;) . the girl is very nicely drawn. do we know anything about the artist? thanks, phil
I don't have a picture of the original cover (this was a mousepad someone was offering for sale!), but Peter Driben did most of the Harrison covers of that period, and this looks like his work. He must have been fairly successful at that time. He may have done a few covers for Humorama too, but that would have been at this time or a few years earlier in the 40's, before the "classic" era of the familiar cartoons of the 1956-60 period which seem to have been printed four times.
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

GREAT FIND 8-) Love the cover art for Titter ! what a view :D :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote:Here's a drawing without a signature, but it's obviously one of Wenzel's.

The lady is nicely-curved, and the men in the crowd are certainly enjoying the show. I believe this drawing may have accompanied an article advocating the leglization of "wife-spanking". Ah, yes! A worthy cause if there ever was one. I have no idea what magazine it might have been, much less any information about a possible publication date.
I finally tracked this one down, b00m! It's from the March, 1965 issue of Jem, and we'll be revisiting it when I do my article on spanking in men's magazines. I've decided to simply add a page for each new spanking, thus making it an open-ended (we may hope!) article. Everyone will be glad to know that in addition to this one I've got about a half-dozen others in the hopper just waiting for me to find the time to write and code them :geek: .
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Bill Wenzel

Post by hugob00m »

Here's a Bill Wenzel cartoon I haven't seen on C.S.R. yet:
Wenzel 117.jpg
Wenzel 117.jpg (206.55 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
butch46163@yahoo.com

GREAT Find :D :D :D
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

This cartoon doesn't contain a spanking...
apr 1.jpg
apr 1.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
...but what do you think this boss is going to do next?
butch46163@yahoo.com

the boss should use a small hand paddle on that secretary behind :D :D :lol: :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Bill Wenzel

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:37 am Here's a Bill Wenzel cartoon I haven't seen on C.S.R. yet:

Oh, this is a fine one, B00m, a little reminiscent of that one in which the cop is spanking the girl for walking on the grass, I believe. (Too tired to look it up right now in the middle of the night). I would guess it was done some years later, perhaps in the mid-to-late 1960s, but I wonder where it appeared? No new Wenzel spanking cartoons are known in the Humorama digests of this period (he did a bunch in 1973 but this isn't one of them), but then I haven't searched them all yet. I hope we can nail down the original source one day.

This one
I recognize as coming from Charley Jones' Laugh Book, and I believe I once found a copy of it but was disappointed to find no spanking inside. I mean, how much more provocation does a boss need to justifiably spank his secretary? ;)
-- Web-Ed