The Humorama Spanking Cartoons - Where We Stand as of 2015

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

The Humorama Spanking Cartoons - Where We Stand as of 2015

Post by web-ed »

217 cartoons are currently listed in the DB. One, Mayer's Mr. Burbank's Home Remedy, is not confirmed as Humorama. One Wenzel cartoon is not confirmed either, but it has not been presented except in the Forum and is not in the DB for this reason. How many more are there?

When I first brought the series to a stop in August 2013, I estimated there were 10 more cartoons from the classic period of 1956-1960
and an unknown number (I had insufficient data to make an estimate) from Humorama's final decade, 1972-81. Since then I discovered the 11 cartoons we've just seen, 3 from the modern period (2 Wenzels and 1 Ward), 7 from the classic period, 1 that isn't a true "spanker"(Squeegee Spanking from 1955), and one I'm not sure of yet but believe dates from the modern era (Bill Maul's patty-cake spanking). That means by my original estimate there should be 3 more from the classic period and an unknown number from the modern era (I still lack critical data for the latter to make a good estimate, but I think the number cannot be high at this point).

About 60 digests remain to be searched from the classic period. Of course, most of these will have either familiar cartoons or none (the last 3 digests I've located had none at all - a major disappointment). I promise to keep searching, but I'm afraid it will still be a while before we have all the answers. However, I would say most of the pieces to the puzzle of Humorama are now in place. The first true OTK spanking cartoon dates from July 1955, and at this point I would be surprised to find another from this year. The great mass of "spankers" appeared from 1956-60. Then something happened, and Humorama went mostly reprint until about 1972 (Ward still seems to have new material in the 1961-71 period, but no known "spankers"). In '72, the digest era appears to have come to an end and Humorama only published full-sized magazines from that point on, but there were some new spanking cartoons, mostly by Wenzel but at least one by Ward and possibly some by others (e.g. the Patty-Cake spanking mentioned before). It does seem that whoever was editing the last four Humorama titles came to see that spanking sold copies, but by the very end, sales were down despite this and the full-frontal nudity on display by the models, and I have discovered at least one full issue that was reprinted as an exact copy just a few years later except for the models.

I will update Humormama: An Afterword to reflect the new information that has surfaced since I published it two years ago.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Humorama - Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by web-ed »

A quick companion piece to the earlier post. So where do we go from here?
  • I keep searching digests from the classic era, 1956-60. As a matter of fact, after failing to find anything at all in three consecutive digests, only two hours ago I discovered an unknown spanking cartoon by Herc Ficklen from 1957 :D ! I've still got between 50 and 60 digests to look for, so the search will continue, obviously at a painfully slow rate, and we can state that the Humorama Series will return at some future date! 8-)
  • I also need more information on the final decade, 1972-81. I would not be surprised if there are still a small number of spanking cartoons by Bill Wenzel out there, and of course we'll take anything else we can find as well.
  • There were several non-cartoon spankings (posed by live models) in Humorama as well (one was a movie still). I'd like to wait a while longer before presenting them since there could still be another one out there. These would not be part of the Humorama Series but would have to be called something else.
  • I've got about 50 more cartoons to do a third and probably fourth installment of Humorama Spanking Positions. Again, I've been holding off in the hopes of concluding my research before doing this.
  • I've got dozens of new cover scans I've simply been too busy to add to the Cover Gallery. I know that's really a side-project, but a few people like it and there's always the chance that someone may discover CSR by being taken to the Cover Gallery by a search engine. In fact, that's already happened!
  • I also have many, many reprinted versions (or original versions if we started with a reprint) of cartoons we've already seen. Not as exciting as discovering a new cartoon, but still interesting (and fun!). We will probably see these get posted now and again over a long period of time - I haven't decided yet what we'll be doing once fall arrives in September.
So it looks like it will be a few years before we finally can say we've seen all the cartoons. Until then, Humorama fans should rummage around the Humor Gallery page or the Humorama Cartoon DB to see what's out there.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Re: The Humorama Spanking Cartoons - Where We Stand as of 20

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

you've shown us a lot of Humorama spanking cartoons and given us a ton of historical information over the years and i've enjoyed it all. it would seem from what you say, that there is still a ways to go and i don't mind waiting . i have confidence that at some point in time, CSR will be the only place where a person can go to get a complete look at Humorama spanking toons.............complete with details about history, covers, artists, editors, and any other details one might want to know :D . that will be a day well worth waiting for. thanks for all your hard work :D . phil