ACES

Spanking Art not from Humorama or other Men's Magazines, and not from Comics
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
willjohn

Re: ACES

Post by willjohn »

daneldorado wrote:Web-ed wrote:

Looks like you, Butch, and Phil would agree with me, though, and I think Dan will approve also when he sees it.

Right you are, Web-ed. Without getting into any political arguments, I believe most Americans -- including Miss Fonda herself -- believe it was a mistake for her to visit Hanoi when she did, and sticking up for their side against us. She has apologized, so we should let the matter drop... and enjoy the cartoon with Jane being spanked by the Duke.

Cheers,
Dan
I doubt that Wayne would have even won a fight with Jane Fonda. The way he threw a punch anybody could avoid it. Jane would probably made him cry by reminding him he did not enlist to fight in World War II while her father served in the Navy.
Wolfie138

Post by Wolfie138 »

The ACES art looks very like Alazar's.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.

Your article about the ACES Artist is fascinating.

You said early on that you don't draw, paint or sculpt anything, so, I thought I'd add some perspective from someone who does. I've done some pen-and-ink drawing. Not a lot. Nothing great. And not recently. But I know the technique. A pen-and-ink artist takes a steel-tipped pen, dips it into a bottle of ink, draws s few strokes, and then has to dip the pen into the ink again. Ir's a tedious process, but the cartoonists of the Golden Era got good enough at it that they could do great pictures and crank them out quickly. Anyone who has attempted to do pen-and-ink drawings has an immense respect for the ones who are good at it.

You mentioned that the ACES artist put more dilligence into the spankers than he did the spankees. I didnt notice that until you pointed it out, but now it really stands out to me.

I might have a possible explanation for that. For source material, an artist can use live models/photos, or memory/imagination. Pin-up artist, Gil Elvgren used to hire live models, pose them, arrange their clothing in the way he wanted, and then take their photo, so that they didn't kave to hold their pose for the entire time it took him to paint their picture. Some of those photos have surfaced recently. In his finished paintings, there would be details that he changed using his imagination.

For the money that Humorama artists were paid, I don't suppose that many of them hired live models. I've speculated that perhaps some of them, such as Dan De Carlo and Bill Wenzel might have had their wives pose for them now and then. A lot of the Humorama artists who did spanking cartoons looked like they spent more time and effort with the spankees than the spankers. I have one example I'll share:

Dan De Carlo spanked secretary.jpg
Dan De Carlo spanked secretary.jpg (580.09 KiB) Viewed 3710 times

The errant secretary is clearly the center of attention. I think he drew her first and added everything else as an afterthought. What really stands out is the beautiful shape of the woman's buttocks, and the shading that makes her look three-dimensional. The first thing I noticed about the man was the knowing leer. SHE thinks she's being punished for her spelling errors, but, nod nod wink wink, WE know he's just been looking for any excuse he could find to turn her over his knee and hike up her dress. It took me a long time to realize that his legs were wrong. Her lower ribs are supporrted by his left thigh... but her hips are levitating in front of his left knee.

I think the ACES Artist used live models, or photos for the men and the backgrounds, but he if he was worried about being "outed" as a spanko, he would be hesitant to hire a female model and ask her to assume a pose that looks like she's ready for a spanking. I think he knew female bodies well enough to draw them from memory,,, but not in as much detail.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Wolfie138 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:44 am The ACES art looks very like Alazar's.
Hi Wolfie - Good to hear from you and to know you're following the ACES article. [Everybody knows that Wolfie's art can be found under "naughtygirls" on DeviantArt, right? If not, don't forget to head over there soon for some sizzling girlie spanking! :) ]

There is indeed a resemblance to Alazar, I think when he works in pen. You have inspired me to take up that specific possibility in Part 2, which we'll see on April 28. One problem with that theory is that as far as I know, Alazar never worked at Marvel, and we know that the ACES artist did. Although some doubt could be raised based on the fact we don't have a straight path taking us from Nu-West to ACES, the trail being presumptive.

Difficulties like that are why this one was a long, hard slog.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:27 am Hi, Web-ed.

Your article about the ACES Artist is fascinating.

You said early on that you don't draw, paint or sculpt anything, so, I thought I'd add some perspective from someone who does. I've done some pen-and-ink drawing. Not a lot. Nothing great. And not recently. But I know the technique. A pen-and-ink artist takes a steel-tipped pen, dips it into a bottle of ink, draws s few strokes, and then has to dip the pen into the ink again. Ir's a tedious process, but the cartoonists of the Golden Era got good enough at it that they could do great pictures and crank them out quickly. Anyone who has attempted to do pen-and-ink drawings has an immense respect for the ones who are good at it.

You mentioned that the ACES artist put more dilligence into the spankers than he did the spankees. I didnt notice that until you pointed it out, but now it really stands out to me.

I might have a possible explanation for that. For source material, an artist can use live models/photos, or memory/imagination. Pin-up artist, Gil Elvgren used to hire live models, pose them, arrange their clothing in the way he wanted, and then take their photo, so that they didn't kave to hold their pose for the entire time it took him to paint their picture. Some of those photos have surfaced recently. In his finished paintings, there would be details that he changed using his imagination.

For the money that Humorama artists were paid, I don't suppose that many of them hired live models. I've speculated that perhaps some of them, such as Dan De Carlo and Bill Wenzel might have had their wives pose for them now and then. A lot of the Humorama artists who did spanking cartoons looked like they spent more time and effort with the spankees than the spankers. I have one example I'll share:

Dan De Carlo spanked secretary.jpg

The errant secretary is clearly the center of attention. I think he drew her first and added everything else as an afterthought. What really stands out is the beautiful shape of the woman's buttocks, and the shading that makes her look three-dimensional. The first thing I noticed about the man was the knowing leer. SHE thinks she's being punished for her spelling errors, but, nod nod wink wink, WE know he's just been looking for any excuse he could find to turn her over his knee and hike up her dress. It took me a long time to realize that his legs were wrong. Her lower ribs are supporrted by his left thigh... but her hips are levitating in front of his left knee.

I think the ACES Artist used live models, or photos for the men and the backgrounds, but he if he was worried about being "outed" as a spanko, he would be hesitant to hire a female model and ask her to assume a pose that looks like she's ready for a spanking. I think he knew female bodies well enough to draw them from memory,,, but not in as much detail.
Glad you like the ACES article so far, B00m, and you may well be right in the interesting points you raise. If I'm correct about him, the ACES Artist would have had a lot of reference materials handy as his day job (as an artist) required this, and in Part 2 (only ten days from now!) I will attempt to show that two of his male spankers were very loosely (to prevent positive identification) modeled on very well-known Marvel Comics characters that he could probably have drawn from memory! :o

P.S. from 2024: I can't believe that during this discussion last year I forgot to add a link to the special presentation, "Who Was the ACES Artist?" in two parts over on the main site in the Art Gallery. For any newcomers reading this thread, follow the link to Part 1.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.

John Buscema? Well, you've certainly made a convincing case. I had not been familiar with his name... but I sure saw a lot of his art through the years. And yes, the works of the "ACES artist" definitely match his style.

I had never heard of the "Right Angle Feature" before, but I've seen faces drawn in that style. The right angle feature can make a skinny man look gaunt, or make a muscular man look resolute. ACES spankers tend to have a clench-jawed expression of grim determination on their faces, making it look as if the spankee is in for a VERY SORE BUTT! The look on the spankees' faces seem to confirm it. :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Pen-and-ink drawings were the norm in the "Old Days", but are rare now. Felt-tipped pens produce a similar effect, and are much easier to use. In the example yiu've labled as ACES #1, I noticed something about the background that some people may not realize how amazing it is because it's in the background. The cover of the bed is filled in with little curlicues. That is hard to draw with a steel-tipped pen that has to be dipped into an inkwell. It takes an artist who is both competent and confident to do that right.

Reed spanking Sue? It does look that way.

I commend you on your extensive research. Your article was both entertaining and informative. Thanks for posting it for us.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.

There's one other thing about your article I like, besides all the research and analysis you put into it. You have more sample of his art than I've ever seen in one place.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:59 am Hi, Web-ed.

There's one other thing about your article I like, besides all the research and analysis you put into it. You have more sample of his art than I've ever seen in one place.
Thanks, B00m! I did my best and assembled the art over the course of a number of years. Some of it may have come from the Artastic Forum, but I really can't remember what the other sources were. Presumably, most of them had copied the art files from Jesse Ray's Spanking Central or perhaps Nu-West or Spank Hard. I do have a few more pieces I'm not sure of (that is I think it's Buscema but I'm less sure than I was with the ones we've just seen) - plus the article was already a magnum opus! - and I hope to share those while our memories of the other ACES works are still fairly fresh, but it looks like it will have to wait until next fall since I'm doing some more of Tim's stuff now and we have Super-Spanking Summer just around the corner.
jimc wrote:Great research on the ACES artist.I had someone else pegged as I thought it was a different artist altogether. My choice was Milton Caniff as several of the charters seemed to be more Steve Canyon and Terry And The Pirates than Marvel,but you did show compelling evidence. I did enjoy the art though whoever the artist was.great pictures that you used.
Thanks Jim, and I'm glad you joined the discussion. (My one regret is that I waited too long with "ACES" for Phil Overbarrel to see it, as I'm sure he would have enjoyed it also).

You weren't too far off in guessing it was Caniff: he was a giant who influenced (along with Noel Sickles) many, many of the great comics artists we're familiar with, including as I mentioned in the article both John Buscema and John Romita (Sr. of course!). But you couldn't have known that Ed Lee had disclosed the ACES Artist had worked for Marvel, which Caniff never did, and of course Caniff would never have modeled any spanking couples on Reed Richards/Susan Richards or Peter Parker/Gwen Stacy - and I doubt anyone but myself would ever have recognized them. I mean, who else would remember Peter Parker's jacket 50 years later? :lol:
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Remember seeing plenty of ACES drawings in Nu-West and Spank Hard magazines !!! also didn`t Nu-West use those same drawings in their spanking comic books ?