Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/27/2015

Post by web-ed »

If you joined us late, we're in the middle of resuming The Humorama Series, one of the most important projects we have undertaken at CSR and certainly one of the most important in the history of adult spanking - not that I want to blow my own horn too loudly here, because as it happens we're at a low point right now. If a resumption can have a nadir, this is probably it - I lost the main picture file for this week's new cartoon somehow and have only the smaller thumbnail to share with everyone. But someday I'll get another copy and add it. No one should give up on the series because of this unfortunate setback - we have 7 more spanking cartoons to go: one by Lou Magila (the last Secretary Spanking we know about); one by Bill Maul; one by Bill Ward (the last known new "spanker"); two by George Morrice; and two by Bill Wenzel. We also have three more Humorama parodies by Tim and will wind it all up on May 15, so please stay with us!

That raises the question - where do we go from there? Well, we'll probably begin Super Spanking Summer the following week, but as far as Humorama goes, we will still have enough material for probably two more editions of Humorama Spanking Positions, plus some Models to See More of, and most interesting of all, several examples of live models being spanked! Finally, I still hope there are a few remaining undiscovered Humorama "spankers" that I will find and bring to CSR readers some day. I'll have more to say on 5/15 when the series winds up again - at least for now.

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.
  • Humorama Series #160: A third "spanker" from cartoonist Jack O'Brien with a backhand swat on a tennis court.
  • Humorama Missed Opportunities: Another half-dozen of these "spankings that should have been" from Humorama and from some other sources as well. See them all over on the Spanking in Media Forum.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i like your description of the O'Brien tennis swat as a "weak" entry. still, for a true spanker, any excuse to swat a female bottom is a good one :D . as you mention, it's not a bad gag. kinda makes me wonder if that isn't an invitation from the spankee for our "pro" to practice on her backside in a less public setting 8-) . our spanker does indeed have a look of satisfaction on his face, perhaps because of the spankee's rubbing reaction to the swat. still, i have to wonder if he wouldn't have had a bigger grin if he had been able to justify using his hand instead of the racquet ;) . losing a scan must be pretty frustrating, especially since it's such a long process to get them in the first place. still, i'm glad you were able to present this one to us. i enjoyed your recent additions to the "missed opportunities" :D . as i commented there, " i think the lesson to be learned here is that, whether they are spankos or not, men are interested in women........and one of their fondest areas of interest is the bottom ends of the aforementioned women :lol:". i particularly liked the one where Packy removes the young lady's dress to use as a matador's cape :lol: . after all, i always like to see a girl with her dress off 8-) . good updates. thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED CSR!!! Well these isn`t spanking drawings but the Women are HOT and well curved :D Wish artist Jack O' Brien have shown the swat or some pain line coming from the women`s bottom :lol: the gag is nice wonder was she bending over giving the guy a good view of her panty under her short tennis skirt :D GOOD DRAWING!!You are SOOOOOOO right that they are MISS OPPORTUNITIES :evil: Never have I seen drawing of women bottom that needed to be SPANK! Especially the Nagging Wife drawing Would love to have seen the Husband spanking her massive rear over his knees :lol: Is the woman with her bottom sticking up high on the Psychiatrist`s couch begging to be spanked? also she is bare bottom :!: a first in this series 8-) OUCH!! the woman with the burrs on her bottom PAINFUL :!: like I said so many big bottom gone unspanked :x GREAT DRAWINGS THOUGH 8-) THANKS!!
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Humorama Series #160: A third "spanker" from cartoonist Jack O'Brien with a backhand swat on a tennis court.
That's frustrating that the high resolution scan got lost! Of course, as Phil says, it would've been even better if we had a good scan AND if the man had been able to come up with an excuse to swat her with his hand... maybe to congratulate her on winning, or... to say "good try" if she had just lost. Oh well! Even in that low res scan you have, I can still enjoy the woman rubbing and the man's look of satisfaction! Heh heh!
web-ed wrote: Humorama Missed Opportunities: Another half-dozen of these "spankings that should have been" from Humorama and from some other sources as well. See them all over on the Spanking in Media Forum.

This secretary has donned a spike in a strategic location for protection - poor Packy! But she did put it a little high, thus Packy still had a "clear path to victory" so to speak - let's hope he found it. From the March, 1954 issue of Pack O' Fun.
Yes, the young lady with the spike may have intended to discourage Packy from walking up behind her and giving her a friendly pat... but maybe, he'll see her attempt to do serious harm to his hand as a legitimate reason to give her a REAL spanking! ;) ;) ;) ;)
web-ed wrote:The humor here remains obscure, but those burrs do have sharp points and it sure looks like they found their mark this time.
I suppose the similiarity, or lack thereof, between this and a spanking cartoon depends on whether you look at the discomfort to the woman's derriere (which would be considerble!) or whether it's all about a man's hand finding its target. If the men had planted cockleburs to discourage trespassers, that might be a good idea... but in the case of an attractive female trespasser, especially one with such a thin flimsy slirt, a spanking would be so much more satisfying!
web-ed wrote:This one may be the most suggestive of the bunch as it certainly appears this young lady wants and needs a good spanking! No reason she shouldn't have gotten one as we all remember cartoons in which the psychiatrist spanks his female patient.
Wow! If she isn't asking the psychiatrist to spank her, then it must be doggy-style sex she wants! In the real world, either one would be a serious breach of ethics, but in a Humorama cartoon, perhaps BOTH would be acceptable!
web-ed wrote:The gag here is that the wife's a nag! Given the size of that rump, a few swats with a handy cutting board (since this scene takes place in the kitchen) would not have been amiss.
Yes indeed! If she's been a nag, then he might do them both a world of good it he's just spank her! (And she looks like she could take a substantial spanking on that big round butt of hers!)
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/03/2015

Post by web-ed »

First the March Spanking Search Report, which pretty much isn't - we didn't find any M/F spankings, although one screwy M/M one turned up that we have no intention of presenting. It was from a magazine cover in 1918, so it won't go into the DB either. Disappointing results because I've been going through a large number of romance comics. But don't despair: I've got another 100 or so comics yet to go through in the files right now (with more coming in the future), and maybe half of them are romance comics, so something might just turn up in the next week or two. We're approaching a big milestone in the search which I'll announce next month with the April results.

Second, please do take a look at the galleries of our CSR Resident Artists Dan Rivera, Hugob00m, and Phil (Overbarrel) if you haven't already done so recently. Spring warmth has stirred all three to present us with examples of warmth of a different kind - that of the recently-spanked bottom :lol: !

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.
  • Humorama Series #161: The last Humorama Secretary Spanking we have in our files is Secretary Spanking #44. Lou Magila is the artist.
  • Tim's Humorama Parodies: Animated cartoon characters were never spanked in the Humorama spanking cartoons, but suppose they had been? The result might very well have been something like #11 - Film Stars in which Marlon Brando spanks Betty Boop!
Of course it's still possible that yet another Secretary Spanking lurks out there undiscovered, from either the classic digests (1955-60) or perhaps from Humorama's last ten years (1972-81). But for now, this is the last one we know about, and it's mighty strange although based on an earlier effort by Kirk Stiles.

Next Week: From the last secretary spanking in our files to the last new (not reprinted) spanking cartoon Humorama ever published, as far as we know: it's Bill Ward at his boob-tastic best! And we'll rustle up some more opportunities for spanking that were completely missed in the Humorama digests. :)
Last edited by web-ed on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Add March Search Report
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

it sounds like you didn't have a good month, search wise. personally, i am hoping for better as you go through the rest of the romance comics, as i'm sure you are. romance comics sure seem like a good place to find spankings! i'm also curious about the big milestone you mentioned and i'll be waiting to see what that is :D . i thought the collage by Magila was interesting. i don't remember seeing any humorama cartoons that were part drawing and part photograph. our would be spanker looks highly irritated but the potential spankee does indeed, as you mentioned, look as if she's definitely ok with the whole idea 8-) . thanks too for the information about Magila and the reminder that he stole the gag from Stiles :lol: . i really like Tim's Marlon Brando/Betty Boop spanking. as you mentioned, good OTK position and i'll add, nicely rounded bottom sticking up too :D . i also got a chuckle from the gag :lol: . i'd also like to point out that Tim did a fine job of drawing Brando and Betty.....they are both readily recognizable from the drawing ;) . it appears as if Betty's dress has been pulled up and i'm assuming the spanking is taking place over her slip. i have seen both Dave Wolfe's drawing and Boom's mcWintock but i had forgotten that he changed Betty's hair color to red which makes sense from more than one perspective :lol: . good updates :D . thanks, phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:First the March Spanking Search Report, which pretty much isn't - we didn't find any M/F spankings,
Sorry to hear that your search went so poorly last month. I hope it gets better. I would think that the Romance genre might yield some positive results... but who knows? I'll look forward to your results.
web-ed wrote:Second, please do take a look at the galleries of our CSR Resident Artists Dan Rivera, Hugob00m, and Phil (Overbarrel) if you haven't already done so recently. Spring warmth has stirred all three to present us with examples of warmth of a different kind - that of the recently-spanked bottom!
Thanks for the plug!
web-ed wrote:Humorama Series #161: The last Humorama Secretary Spanking we have in our files is Secretary Spanking #44. Lou Magila is the artist.
An odd one indeed! Not only did some cut-and-paste guy put a photo into a cartoon, but it seems to be a totally random combination! The lady is definitely not dressed for office work, and the chair she's sitting on doesn't look much like office furniture. The boss is going to spank her for miss-spelled words, but maybe a more appropriate reason to spank her would be her violation of the company's dress code!
web-ed wrote:Tim's Humorama Parodies: Animated cartoon characters were never spanked in the Humorama spanking cartoons, but suppose they had been? The result might very well have been something like #11 - Film Stars in which Marlon Brando spanks Betty Boop!
interesting combination! I think I would've paired Betty Boop up with someone from the flapper era, like maybe Clark Gable. But then... i did a picture with Betty Boop spanked by Elmer Fudd! I don't suppose that makes a lot of sense either. Maybe it doesn't matter WHO spanks Betty Boop, as long as her cute little butt gets spanked by SOMEONE! I guess the reason Tim picked Marlon Brando was because of the "method acting" gag. Marlon Brando was one of the best-known method actors of the fifties.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hi WEB-ED CSR Always wanted to see Betty Boop being spanking her facial expression would be hot :twisted: but Marlon Brando as the spanker :shock: I would think Popeye might be a better choice :lol: Brando looks to be a good spanker especially the way he smacking her upturn shapely bottom hard :D the otk is great! Glad to see Tim doing what he do best drawing Great satire spankings 8-) Lou Magila using a Humoramma model in a cartoon is kinda weird :twisted: but the gag is ok :? too bad this is the last Humorama secretary spanking drawing :( going back to Tim`s Betty Boop spanking drawing If he wanted a Film star why not John Wayne ! think it would be good to see The Duke Spanking Betty with that Mclintock shovel :lol: Thanks!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 04/03/2015

Post by web-ed »

On the last Humorama Secretary Spanking, by Lou Magila:
overbarrel49 wrote: i thought the collage by Magila was interesting. i don't remember seeing any humorama cartoons that were part drawing and part photograph.
Butch wrote:Lou Magila using a Humorama model in a cartoon is kinda weird :twisted: but the gag is ok :?
hugob00m wrote:An odd one indeed! Not only did some cut-and-paste guy put a photo into a cartoon, but it seems to be a totally random combination!
Magila was, shall we say, a very strange guy. I think Butch put it best by using the "confused" smiley, :? - that's Magila! There was typically one of his collages in most of the digests from the classic period, and for the most part they were absolutely bizarre. For a rare example of Magila's non-collage, non-spanking work, see the Missed Opportunities in Humorama I just posted today.

Here's another sample of Magila's collages, taken from the August 1967 issue of Laugh Digest:

Now, the more we try to analyze this cartoon the more confused :? we're likely to feel! First of all, only the first two of the four items listed have anything in common. As B00m said, a "totally random combination"! Second, I have no idea what Magila means by "the gal is also all HIDE" - she's not all skin, although she's showing enough, and human skin is not properly referred to as "hide" in any case. Then, Magila gave this piece a title - "Why?" - which also makes no sense unless the reader is wondering why Magila did this cartoon, and he probably is!

I conclude that it's unwise to try to analyze Magila's crazy collages :lol: !
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/10/2015

Post by web-ed »

• Humorama Series #162: The last new Humorama Spanking cartoon to be published that is known at present is this one, from Bill Ward (after a considerable absence, which we explain on the page) - Bill Ward Topless Spanking. It's nice work, although F/F - we think Ward just enjoyed drawing twice as many boobs!
  • Humorama Missed Opportunities: Another installment of this series over on the "Humorama & Other Men's Magazines" forum. This week our theme is "Pratfalls / The Behind in Jeopardy".
Next Week: I'm sure most of you will be pleased to know that it's all M/F from here on out for the last five entries in The Humorama Series. Not all OTK, but mostly. The first of the five comes from a very unlikely source - Bill Maul - and represents the only spanking cartoon he ever did as far as we know. And Tim's Humorama Parodies returns with a piece we call "Backstage" - you don't want to miss it!
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

well, the topless spanking certainly is Bill Ward and i have to agree with your assessment that he just enjoyed drawing twice as many booms :lol: . as a matter of fact, it appears to me that the spanker's boobs may just be about the same size as the spankee's bottom cheeks :lol: . i really enjoyed all the historical facts you presented with this one. i've always thought the steps Humorama took, to try to keep going during those later years, such as going with mostly reprints, was very interesting. this calls to mind the question of why they decided to accept "some" new material when reprinting already published material was obviously the policy? in any case, i do like the drawing and especially the outfits the ladies are wearing 8-) . i also like the caption with the spankee being very glad even though her expression is one of distress, as you noted, and there are tears rolling down her face :D . i wonder if a blank piece of paper placed on the reverse side of the drawing would prevent the back of the page from showing through? thanks too for the "missed opportunities". they are all sexually suggestive and focus on some pain in the young lady's bottom :lol: . of course, a spanking would have been better so they are indeed missed opportunities. still, it's enjoyable to think about the bottoms of the young women involved 8-) . good updates. thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

hi web-ed csr!!! DID YOU SEE THE OUTLANDER SPANKING SCENE ? ONE OF THE BEST IN YEARS 8-) Using a Trombone to spank a woman`s bottom with :twisted: Like the second drawing of the Trombone spanking with the guy seated behind the shapely woman using his trombone to spank her with :lol: If only he had done this with her over his knee :twisted: :lol: also like the man lighting a match off his bent over wife`s rear :lol: Eventhough Bill Ward decide to give his women Super Giant Breasts they still are Glamorous! Sad that Ward`s Topless Spanking might be Humorama`s last spanking drawing? but if it is thumbs up for a GREAT DRAWING!!! this is a hard spanking judging by the tearBs flowing from the spankee`s eyes! both spanker spankee are very beautiful with Large breast and curvy bods and though this not a otk spanking it still GREAT from Bill WARD 8-)
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Humorama Series #162: The last new Humorama Spanking cartoon to be published that is known at present is this one, from Bill Ward (after a considerable absence, which we explain on the page) - Bill Ward Topless Spanking. It's nice work, although F/F - we think Ward just enjoyed drawing twice as many boobs!
Thanks for bringing that to us (even though I'm disappointed that Humorama chose to make that their last spanking vartoon.) And I think you must be right that Bill Ward just liked drawing twice as many boobs.
web-ed wrote:Humorama Missed Opportunities: Another installment of this series over on the "Humorama & Other Men's Magazines" forum. This week our theme is "Pratfalls / The Behind in Jeopardy".
Something that pratfalls and spankings have in common is that they make the lady's bottom the center of attention, while also causing her to feel physical discomfort in that same region. Watching a curvaceous woman fall on her butt, or get a shove from a trombone slide isn't as good as seeing her get spanked, but it's sort of in a similar category.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:i wonder if a blank piece of paper placed on the reverse side of the drawing would prevent the back of the page from showing through?
I will try that, Phil, and if it works of course re-do the page. Perhaps at the time I scanned it (more than a year ago) I didn't think I could bend the page that way, or was afraid to because the issue was in such excellent condition.
butch wrote:Sad that Ward`s Topless Spanking might be Humorama`s last spanking drawing? but if it is thumbs up for a GREAT DRAWING!!! this is a hard spanking judging by the tearBs flowing from the spankee`s eyes! both spanker spankee are very beautiful with Large breast and curvy bods and though this not a otk spanking it still GREAT from Bill WARD 8-)
As I remember it, Butch, there were four Humorama magazines running that last year - Aug. 1980 to Aug. 1981 - each published quarterly, leaving us 16 issues that need to be checked. I have some of them but not all, so it is still possible that there is a later spanking cartoon, but I doubt it because Humorama was obviously in bad shape by that time. Almost by accident I discovered they were reprinting not just cartoons but even whole magazines! I hope to update some of what I have written about Humorama as we end the current series.

On a more hopeful note, I would not be surprised to find a very small number of unknown Wenzel "spankers" from Humorama's last decade. In fact, the last two cartoons I'm going to present in May are both by Wenzel. One is definitely from that last decade and I suspect the other is as well. We shall see as the years go by and (I hope) I uncover Humorama's last few secrets :) .
hugob00m wrote:Something that pratfalls and spankings have in common is that they make the lady's bottom the center of attention, while also causing her to feel physical discomfort in that same region. Watching a curvaceous woman fall on her butt, or get a shove from a trombone slide isn't as good as seeing her get spanked, but it's sort of in a similar category.
That's pretty much how I feel about it, b00m, and we can thank Robin who has pointed me toward many examples of pratfalls in Archie comics and elsewhere, not all of which we have seen yet. (But we will, sooner or later! ;) )
-- Web-Ed
bobj7188

Post by bobj7188 »

An odd one indeed! Not only did some cut-and-paste guy put a photo into a cartoon, but it seems to be a totally random combination! The lady is definitely not dressed for office work, and the chair she's sitting on doesn't look much like office furniture. The boss is going to spank her for miss-spelled words, but maybe a more appropriate reason to spank her would be her violation of the company's dress code!
Sorry to be late to the thread. Those were my thoughts exactly. I was never a fan of the insertion of photos into toons, and this is a good example of why. They rarely ever seem to fit. This one is so out of place it, it ruins the gag for me. It seems he could have found a more appropriate photo--however, I think such collages were basically an excuse to print a pic of a naked girl. I wonder if that "cut-and-paste guy" may have actually pasted the photo over the top of an original secretary in the cartoon. Is the artwork actually by Magila?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the find, however strange it may be.

bob
bobj7188

Post by bobj7188 »

This Ward toon seems to me to be an example of the practice of some editors to insert captions that don't really match the drawing. It's a good caption for a drawing in which the spankee seems to enjoy the spanking. And it's a good drawing for a caption that indicates a more disciplanary scenario. But in this case, we seem to have a disciplinary scene with a playful caption.

But still, I'm enjoying seeing what you discover, and amazed at how you keep finding this stuff.

bob
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

bobj7188 wrote:
Sorry to be late to the thread. Those were my thoughts exactly. I was never a fan of the insertion of photos into toons, and this is a good example of why. They rarely ever seem to fit. This one is so out of place it, it ruins the gag for me. It seems he could have found a more appropriate photo--however, I think such collages were basically an excuse to print a pic of a naked girl. I wonder if that "cut-and-paste guy" may have actually pasted the photo over the top of an original secretary in the cartoon. Is the artwork actually by Magila?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the find, however strange it may be.

bob
Yes, the artwork actually was by Magila, who could draw adequately but not brilliantly. He did occasionally do a fully-drawn cartoon rather than a collage. But his work was always on the strange side - you get the impression that to him it made sense in some way although no one else would think so.
This Ward toon seems to me to be an example of the practice of some editors to insert captions that don't really match the drawing. It's a good caption for a drawing in which the spankee seems to enjoy the spanking. And it's a good drawing for a caption that indicates a more disciplanary scenario. But in this case, we seem to have a disciplinary scene with a playful caption.

But still, I'm enjoying seeing what you discover, and amazed at how you keep finding this stuff.

bob
Yes, the editors would often insert a new caption with an old cartoon (most but not all the Humorama cartoons came with an artist-supplied caption in block letters at the bottom of the page which the editor might revise even for the first printing).

As to finding all this stuff - it hasn't been easy, so I'm glad you and other CSR readers are enjoying the fruits of my labor. I just hope I'll live long enough to finally learn Humorama's few remaining important secrets, like how many more undiscovered cartoons are still out there - a subject I'll address at the end of the current series, by the way.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/17/2015

Post by web-ed »

O.K.- last week I did my monthly pitch to readers to join the CSR Forum. This week, I'd like to ask any readers who haven't looked at all the great spanking drawings of our Resident Artists over here to please take advantage of the opportunity to do so. Of course, to comment on these works you must join the forum, but anyone can view the links/attachments. The RA's greatly appreciate all reasonable comments.

• Humorama Series #163: Bill Maul will not be a name familiar to most CSR readers, but he did do one spanking cartoon for Humorama: Patty Cake Spanking, in which a baker spanks his wife to the rhythm of the old nursery rhyme.
  • Tim's Humorama Parodies #7: The Humorama spanking cartoons sometimes featured spankings being applied over and above the regular routine, and that's what happens backstage when a star is spanked backstage by one of her fans.
Next Week: The Humorama Series goes back to the classic period, 1956, to visit George Morrice's second example of a husband spanking his wife on their wedding night!
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

The "Patty Cake" cartoon reminded me of my uncle's bakery, but he would never have tried that on my aunt.

She was a big lady! :!:
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i like the patty cake drawing even if he did misspell patty cake :lol: . i agree with your analysis of the OTK position. my favorite part is the total shock of the spankee at being OTK which is nicely indicated by her expression and also the position of her arms and hands :D . i too enjoyed the kicking feet and bouncing bottom which are obviously out of her control, shock or no shock :lol: . i also agree with you about the spatula......i was thinking that all the way before i took a closer look at the spanking implement. Maul missed a good opportunity there. it would be interesting to know exactly when the first appearance of this one was. it's a good drawing none the less :D . i thought Tim's drawing was certainly based on an interesting idea..........i wonder how many spankers have had this same fantasy. :D .............probably most of us :lol: my favorite part is her expression which suggested to me that the spankee, while experiencing a bit of apprehension about all this, was still finding the spanking satisfying and at least a bit arousing 8-) . i also liked the gag, which as you noted, had that Humorama flavor. i also notice that the spankee seems to have no problem with having her dress raised to expose the seat of her panties either 8-) . it does seem likely to me that they are both going to enjoy this way more than autographs :lol: . good updates this week :D . thanks, phil