Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/17/2017

Post by web-ed »

This week's updates: I would have done the Susie Q. Smith ones in January with the others from that strip, but I think I had completed all the coding for the January updates before Phil Sweetspot found them - yes, Phil's researches are ongoing, so we may have to revisit a strip from time to time. As a matter of fact, I'm still not sure what order we'll be seeing them in after about mid-May, but the main thing for strip-lovers is that we will have something every week for a long time.

The second spanking from Abbie an' Slats is a good one, and the improved scans make it even more enjoyable to see a scheming witch get her deserved comeuppance. :)

This is the strip that will be our focus the next two weeks when we'll revisit spanking #3, of which we had only one panel when we posted it back in 2010, and then spanking #5, which is a brand-new discovery of Phil's and a very fine scene that only CSR Resident Artist Dan Rivera remembered. It's taken 7 years, but we'll see it at last, on the last day of March - don't miss it!

There are two other known spankings from Abbie an' Slats, but they both involve juveniles and will not be posted on CSR, although of course they'll go into the data base. These will be discussed next time.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

HI web-ed,

I had to chuckle at the sight of Susie climbing out the window with her dad standing there, holding the hairbrush :lol: . There can be no doubt about what happened once her feet hit the ground :D . Susie's reference to howling is hilarious too......not to mention prophetic :lol: . In the Abbie an' Slats strip, Jackie certainly deserved a good spanking, which is just the way we like it :D . We may not know the entire story but from what we do know, it would appear that most all of these people are involved somehow which makes it even more satisfying that she gets spanked in front of them 8-) . The OTK position is pretty good but I think his legs are spread too much, which seems to be a common happening in drawings like these. Still, it's a good spanking panel and I like the way her kicking legs are drawn. The new scans are better of course and I'm not sure if it's the drawing or the scan, but I'm disappointed by the lack of detail in the facial expressions. From the dialog, Jackie is crying during the spanking but I don't see that in her expression at all. Also, the onlookers expressions seem pretty much blank, which I doubt would have been the case under these circumstances. Even in the next panel, where there is a pretty close shot of one of the female onlookers, there is little detail in her expression as she listens to the 2 men discussing Jackie's spanking, which again, seems unlikely. Anyway, I'm tempted to conclude that the artist missed some great opportunities. I also think he missed some good opportunities as far as the body positions of the 2 girls watching. Perhaps they are just standing there squirming a little as they watch another girl getting spanked but I would have thought that at least one of them would have had her hands clasped behind her instead of in front :lol: I do like the fact that Jackie is shown walking away, rubbing her bottom :D . Good updates :D . Thanks, Phil
hugob00m

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/17/2017

Post by hugob00m »

I haven't had much time to log in recently, so I'm commenting on the last three weeks or so of your updates.
web-ed wrote: The second spanking from Abbie an' Slats is a good one, and the improved scans make it even more enjoyable to see a scheming witch get her deserved comeuppance. :)
Mmmm! I really liked that one! The spankee was very pretty AND very deserving of her punishment! Many thanks to Sweetspot for finding a better scan, as well as some extra bits of the story that provided some context to the spanking panel.
web-ed wrote:I've decided to do the Abbie an' Slats spankings in order, so spanking #1 is featured this week with a new scan.

Becky and Slats spy Margie and Larry together on a bench. We see that she's still feeling the effects of the spanking (always good), and she even admits to them that she's been spanked! Best of all, the spanking convinces her that he's just the guy she wants! Once again, a good spanking leads to a successful romance -- hooray!
This could've been part of Romantic Spanking Month... if the month had lasted longer! I love the dialog, especially the part where she's describing to her friends what just happened! 'Boy! He's strong!" She obviously appreciated the fact that he was willing to apply some discipline when needed.

Again, thanks to Sweetspot for the better scan and a bit of context! Also, now I can see why the old scan you had before was so indistinct. The scene took place in the dark, so that the characters were very darkly shaded... almost silhouettes... and someone probably tried to lighten the picture and lost all the detail.
web-ed wrote: a revisit to Mary Worth #2 - the second of two known spankings from that strip. New scans!

The camera angle in panel 5 is both unusual and delightful as we get a close-up view of her rear end getting smacked while she protests vainly, "You sadistic monster! I have never been so humiliated!" What makes this better than most comic strip scenes is that Wally ignores her protests and goes right on spanking! Yay - she deserves each and every smack for her scheming ways!

Now let's take a look at the following episide, where we see the spanking's aftermath. Mary Worth looks on with approval as the "junior miss jezebel" rubs her sore bottom (we love scenes like that). In fact, she's still rubbing her sore bottom in the last panel - a fine ending to an excellent strip spanking!
Yeah! I don't suppose the censors would've allowed Button to be spanked on the seat of her panties (much less her bare behind, which is what she had clearly earned!), so I'm happy to see that she was wearing a tight pair of slacks that showed off the contours of her shapely derriere! And it looks as if the fabric was thin enough that she felt the sting of his palm!
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED CSR!!! Like how Suzie Q dad is out side holding a hairbrush while she is climbing out the window :twisted: :lol: it always dad waiting at the door as they try to sneak it after curfew :lol: :lol: :lol the Howl joke is perfect :lol: :lol: :lol: there should have been a panel where she is over dad`s knee howling as he spanking her with the hairbrush :lol: :lol: :lol: think Suzie`s boyfriend Caz want to spank that girl he hit on the rear with a snowball :twisted: :lol: :lol: maybe horse play ;) ;) :lol: :lol: Very Good Spanking in Abbie And Slat 8-) the otk is good think a curb is too low for otk maybe a bench or car hood :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the Spanking is Great and hard there should have been stars coming from Jackie`s bottom when Scrapple was spanking it :lol: :lol: the after spanking is also good with bottom rubbing and stars 8-) Thanks for a much clearer scan 8-) 8-) :D
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/24/2017

Post by web-ed »

The Comic Strip Series continues with Next Week: The Comic Strip Series continues as we reveal the long sought-after fifth spanking from Abbie An' Slats! It doesn't get much better than this, folks, so please be sure to join us. :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

I must say I like this week's story :D . Not only does Mr. Smith's naughty bride richly deserve a good spanking but her PR people deserve what happens to them too...............fists for the men and a well placed palm of the hand for her :lol: . I actually liked the off camera start to the spanking. He may have taken his bride to discuss this matter in private but everyone knew what was going on once it started and then they all rush in to actually see her getting spanked 8-) . It was a public, private spanking..........how fitting for a girl seeking publicity :lol: . First we see the onlookers hearing him spanking her, then we see her getting spanked with everyone watching, then we get to see the lightening bolts emanating from the place it felt like she was getting struck by lightening as she rubs her stinging bottom. Other than showing more than one spanking pic, I don't see how the artist could have done any more to present us with a good spanking :D . The last panel is just gravy as Mr. Smith clobbers the men threatening him :lol: . I like it :D . Thanks to you and Phil S. for this one. Phil O
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB ED CSR!!! Don`t know why Alley didn`t turn OOOLa over his knee isn`t that what she wanted to see him try :lol: :lol: :lol: This week Abbie and Slat Spanking story is good Great Build up! leading to the spankee a very Beautiful starlet getting it otk first off panel the in front of witness 8-) 8-) the spanking is nice only wish we not only got a front view but a back view of the spanking :lol: :lol: love the after part where she getting off his knee the lighting bolts OUCH! 8-) 8-) GREAT SPANKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

"Incidentally, Raeburn Van Buren may have been a spanko. We already have two spankings from "Abbie 'n Slats," and I hope and pray that before I die, I get to see once again the greatest comic strip spanking ever: The scene where Slats puts a spoiled heiress over his knee and spanks the daylights out of her because she offers to kiss him, and he says: "I'd wanna kiss you if you was Becky, but you ain't Becky." With that, she slaps him -- hard. In two seconds, she is over his lap, getting the spanking of her life.

But that strip has never been posted to this or any other spanko board, to my knowledge. I hope I get to see it again, someday.
Cheers,
Dan
"

Dan -
Your hopes and prayers have finally paid off. I'm so glad you've made it alive and kicking to the day when you can finally gaze with your artist-weary eyes upon "the greatest comic strip spanking ever:"

A little preview to whet your spanko palette. OK more of a tease than a preview...
AbbieAnSlatsJuly27,1938.png
AbbieAnSlatsJuly27,1938.png (44.48 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
If the first one whet your appetite and or palette the next ones may cause you to whet your pants!
AbbieAnSlatsJuly28,1938.png
AbbieAnSlatsJuly28,1938.png (53.37 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
$40,000 in 1938 is equivalent in value to $670,644.44 in 2017 [you're welcome]
AbbieAnSlatsJuly29,1938.png
AbbieAnSlatsJuly29,1938.png (51.69 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Phil S.
Last edited by Sweetspot on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Abbie An' Slats Spanking #5

Post by web-ed »

I'm sure everyone's appetite has been whetted by this scene, Phil.

For everyone else: I'm going to say more about Phil S.'s methods next week so I'll probably end up repeating myself, but one of his great pleasures has been to search for and locate a spanking scene that was remembered by someone else but that has hitherto been unavailable. As we will see next week with Abbie An' Slats #5 and on many subsequent occasions, he has enjoyed considerable success (after considerable effort) in finding these scenes.

Dan was the only one who remembered this scene which as we now know dates back to 1938. As a matter of fact, Phil S. and I tend to think similarly, and I had already encoded Dan's post from 7 years ago (quoted above by Phil) in the webpage we'll be unveiling next week. This one's for you, Dan :D !

I've also compiled an index of the 7 known spankings from Abbie An' Slats, and that's in the page as well. Spankings #5 and 6 will be discussed next week also. And that brings us back to a point Dan raised: was Raeburn Van Buren a spanko? (Or perhaps Elliot Caplin, the strip's writer?).

It's very hard to say. Adult spanking is such a natural thing :lol: that over the course of more than 30 years, it's not really surprising if a strip racks up seven of them - that's only about one spanking every five years. Yet they are very intense scenes, for the most part. I have never uncovered any evidence that either Van Buren or Caplin were spankos, but then again, you didn't shout that sort of thing from the rooftops back then, and even now most of us prefer that the whole world doesn't know we're into spanking.

So I toss it to the readership for discussion, especially after we see the excellent Spanking #5 next week: were either of these men spankos :?:
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/24/2017

Post by hugob00m »

Hi. Web-ed.

Great new finds! And my thanks go out to Sweetspot too!
web-ed wrote:a spanking threat[/url] from Alley Oop.
Great threat... too bad he never followed up on it! Oola had such a nice spankable rear, and a bit of an attitude at times!
web-ed wrote:New scans from Abbie an' Slats
I'm really glad that you were able to get a better resolution scan of this comic, and a bit of the story as well. Mr. Smith figured out how to handle his publicity-seeking young bride, didn't he? A good spanking ought to get her picture in all the movie magazines!
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

AbbieAnSlatsJuly30,1938.png
AbbieAnSlatsJuly30,1938.png (45.15 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

OMG! You're beginning to post this story ALREADY? I wasn't expecting this until Friday.

Now that you have started to post the "ultimate" comic strip spanking story, I have already DL'd the first panel to my files. Looking forward to seeing the rest.... :)

But are you sure about the year, 1938? The "Lona Burner" story in Abbie an' Slats wasn't published until 1945....

Cheers,
Dan
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Dan -
I'm convinced of the publication year of these strips being 1938 for three reasons:
1) The year doesn't show up particularly well in the four strips I rolled out over the last four days - in an attempt to duplicate the original feel of a daily strip - but when Web-ed places the two more important strips in the main site you will note that the year [given to display the copyright] will be much more visible.
2) I would have to have copied the date wrong no less than four times in order for it to be incorrect.

3) Originally I discovered these strips based on key words from the information you provided. After that, to more easily find the rest of the story, I have to narrow the search by entering into the archive the date of the strip as close as I can get it - and I entered 1938.

If you are saying you remember reading these strips sometime later than 1938 and I have been assuming you did, perhaps they were reprinted later. I've been thinking if you were like me you went to the library as a part of a misspent youth to explore all things spanking and discovered it in a dusty archive collection or on microfiche. You certainly have a remarkable facility for remembering the details of these strips.
Phil S.
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/31/2017

Post by web-ed »

O.K., after a lot of advertising, this is the week Sweetspot and I finally present the 5th spanking from Abbie An' Slats - so let's post the link here and then get on with things:

The Comic Strip Series continues as we reveal the long sought-after fifth spanking from Abbie an' Slats - wow :o !

I hope nobody thinks I've overhyped this one - Phil S. has made many other exciting discoveries, some of which we've already seen and most of which we haven't, plus I have one or two of my own to present - but this is a very fine scene, as Dan remembered, and I don't think anyone other than Phil S. and maybe Andre was anywhere close to discovering it. The preceding discussion between Dan and Phil S. raises the interesting possibility that the scene was reprinted some time after 1938, and if that happened in a comic book it's possible I'll still run across it in my continuing search through Golden Age comics. (Remember that comic books started out by reprinting newspaper comic strips).

I think I will add at least one of the strips Phil has presented here to the page. Also, I've put a complete index of all 7 known spankings from Abbie on the page as well.

I've been promising for a long time to talk about Phil S.'s search methods, and this would seem as good a time as any. (Don't hesitate to amplify or correct anything I write here, Phil). Phil basically does two kinds of searches, targeted ones aimed at strip spankings remembered by his fellow spankos (like the one we're presenting today - these are his favorites) and general searches through the newspaper archives. I could be wrong, but I think Phil at times uses some kind of optical character recognition to help him find words like "spanking" in a strip, especially where there was no indication we would expect to find a spanking there. This has resulted in some remarkable new discoveries, as well as the revelation of a strip's identity in those cases where it was still a mystery.

In most cases, Phil was the first one to make the discovery and deserves credit for it, even where these scenes have appeared someplace else. Primacy in the spanking world isn't quite the same as in the scientific one, so Phil gets the credit even if someone else was first in print. Blame me - there's simply no way I can get something posted right after it's discovered, and I think I've had some of these scenes in my possession now since October. When I discover something new or someone sends me their discoveries, either I collect them for a long series like the one we're doing now, or I hang on to them for a long time trying to identify their origins if unknown (not an issue in this case). I'll talk a little more about this, which is a regret of mine, during the April anniversary. The amount of effort Phil has had to put into this is enormous, and we all owe him a huge debt of thanks. JimC and Tanner will be glad to know that he has found at least one scene that each of them remembered and that was on my official CSR search list.

Next, let me briefly mention the sixth and seventh spankings from Abbie An' Slats: Miss Pulsby spanks Bratly Snootworthy (03/09/1952), the only F/M scene, and "Bathless" Groggins spanks Baby Betty. (08/19/1949). Both of these are fairly well done, but I'm posting less F/M stuff than ever and Bratly might be a little young (wish he'd been an 18-year-old female), and Baby Betty is definitely underage. They're in the data base, though, and I will provide copies to anyone who requests them (if I can find them - send me an email or PM if you're interested).

Next Week: The Comic Strip Series continues with the first five daily strips from the Oaky Doaks spanking storyline. Yes, this daily comic strip featured an entire storyline that revolved around spanking! And in order to present it, we are going to reprint 21 days worth of the series throughout the month of April - you won't want to miss a bit of it! And that's not all as I hope to present some other things during April as we celebrate CSR's 13th anniversary.

See you then :D !
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Thanks a million, Web-ed (and Sweetspot), for posting that long-lost strip from Abbie an' Slats that shows the rich girl, "Tony," being put over Slats' knee and spanked like the naughty girl she is. The memory of that strip haunted my young life and now, as an old geezer, I still remember it with great fondness. By resuscitating toons like this one, you are doing your part to... wait for it... Make America Great Again! :D

Naturally I was also happy to see your posting of ANOTHER old Abbie an' Slats toon, the one where the baldheaded John Smith spanks his gold-digging young bride, "Lona Burner." But this new pic, with Slats Scroggins and "Tony" Turkle, is ever so much better... partly because here, we see the spanking in full profile with "Tony"'s back slightly arched, her pretty legs provocatively displayed kicking the air, and the pain lines are simple straight lines rather than the lightning bolts utilized in the John Smith toon.

By the way, the reason I keep putting the name "Tony" in quotes is because, to my latter-day mind, a girl with a name like that usually spells it Toni, with an "i." Maybe that was a post-WW II variance. Anyway, you and Sweetspot have made your case, that this toon originated in 1938, regardless of how often it was later reprinted.

You say the spanking panel was first printed on August 2 of 1938. Yes, I can see the boxed "8-2" at the bottom of the third panel. But a little research by yours truly shows that August 2, 1938 was a Tuesday. I'm pretty sure that Abbie an' Slats was printed on a daily basis, so that begs the question: What happened to Monday's strip? It's not an idle question, because my so-called "amazing" powers of recollection tell me that, after Tony "comes on" to Slats and he rejects her offer of a kiss, there is a brief dialogue where he tells her: "Sure, I'd want t'kiss ya if you was Becky. But you ain't Becky." That comment so infuriates Tony that she hauls off and slaps his face. And that is WHY he spanks her. The slap is shown here, but the setup dialogue is not. Please understand, I am beyond grateful for what you HAVE brought us; but the panels from Monday, August 1, 1938 would have given us a more thorough understanding of the story.

Web-ed, you are a great man to have worked so hard to bring us these great nuggets from the past, all these years. And I can see that you are preparing to bring us an Oaky Doaks toon which promises to add more spanking pics to the commonweal. Bless your heart for doing so much to keep our memories alive.

Cheers,
Dan
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

That's on me. I can't explain the omission. Your memory may go back to a comic strip from 1938 but my memory can't recall what went wrong in 2016! Good thing you caught that or it may have been another 7 to 79 years before the August 1, 1938 panels saw the light of day.
AbbieAnSlatsAugust1,1938.png
AbbieAnSlatsAugust1,1938.png (41.46 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

The next order of business is to establish the correct date of Abbie an' Slats spanking #4.
AbbieAnSlatsMay18,1957.png
AbbieAnSlatsMay18,1957.png (42.69 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Helena Forbush gets Rocky and his girlfriend Buzz suspended from school for several months. This takes the school's star player off the baseball team. The situation is unfair and intolerable but evidently Helena's father is the dean or principal of the school and is extremely indulgent in granting his daughter's requests. Helena is a student. I didn't catch if it's college or high school but the name of the school is simply Crabtree Corners [the home town in Abbie An' Slats]. Abbie is usually pretty inconsequential, if not down-right counterproductive, in this strip particularly considering she's gets top billing but in this case she has some dirt on Mr. Forbush [In their youth he proposed to Abbie but then jilted her] and he is more than willing to let Rocky and Buzz back in school rather than have that "scandal" come to light. Evidently he also comes to his senses in dealing with his headstrong and selfish daughter.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/31/2017

Post by web-ed »

Thanks to both of you: Dan, for causing all this to happen by remembering the otherwise-forgotten "Slats spanks Tony" scene, and for mentioning the missing strip of Aug. 1 (I thought Phil had simply chosen to leave it out for editorial reasons and never asked him about it :oops:), and Phil of course once again for doing all this work. I will add the Aug. 1 strip tonight and upgrade Spanking #3 (Helena) in time for next week's update.

Without the efforts you two put forth, we'd probably never have seen this great example of comics spanking unless it was reprinted in a comic book at a later date and I finally found a digital copy of it (which so far hasn't happened).

Oh, and about the name "Tony Turkle" Dan: I keep thinking it reminds me of something, but I just can't nail it down. It could be a play on the name of someone who was known at the time, but that time is alas getting to be very long ago, just barely within living memory. Think how few young people of today would know that "Lola Burner" was a play on "Lana Turner".
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

Well, I'd have to say that this week's update did indeed live up to all the hype :D . Just as Dan's been telling us for the last 7 years, it's a great spanking scene:D. Of course, as we've discussed before, knowing the history behind the spanking just takes it to another level and this one was a good story 8-) . You, Phil S. and Dan have already made most of the pertinent comments about the spanking panel itself and I agree with your comments so I won't deal with any of that other than the spankee's expression. I agree with your assessment of her expression but it's a bit disappointing. As you said, spanking is all about the humiliation of the spankee, which doesn't really show up until the panels following the spanking and I think the artist missed a good opportunity here. I think what's even more impressive than this spanking scene is all the effort it took from a whole team of CSR members ;) . Dan remembered all this.....Phil S. obviously went to a great deal of trouble to find all these strips.....and you planned and executed bringing all of these strips to us :D . My hat's off to all of you. Thanks for all the hard work :D . Phil O.
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hi... I don't expect that all the members of the artistic community will agree with me on this... :roll:

The panels from the comic strip "Abbie an' Slats," which were posted here from 1938, unfortunately had the right edge cropped off, probably from an accident occurring from all the copying over the years.

The spanking panel is so good, it would be a great shame to see it remain in that "overcropped" condition for the rest of eternity. So, I have taken it upon myself to correct it using Photoshop.

It isn't a major job. All I needed to do was touch up the left edge of the spankee's hair and Slats' left elbow, and I am sending you a copy of the resulting picture. I hope you will like this, though I am certain that not everyone here will agree that I have done the right thing.

Some will say that I have "corrupted" an established piece of artwork. Okay, I see your point; but I don't think it applies here. The reason is, I am sure that Raeburn Van Buren was too much of a consummate professional to submit his finished work to his editor with the edges sloppily cropped off. No, that cannot be the way Van Buren intended his artwork to look. So I assume that the cropping was done accidentally (as mentioned above) and I have endeavored to recreate his masterwork by adding a little of the spankee's hair (her left side, our right) and a small portion of Slats' elbow. Not a daunting task, and the vast majority of the original panel is preserved.

Again, Web-ed and Sweetspot, thanks very much for finding this lost classic and restoring it to its rightful place: Here, among the appreciative spanking fans.

Cheers,
Dan