Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i like the new, clearer, scans of the Roy Lance spanking. the story itself is good, where our spankee deserves the spanking she is getting :D . as you noted, it would have been better if her bottom had been better defined. also, it looks to me as if her legs are a bit too short for the rest of her body? in any case, it's a good story and a good spanking panel. i also enjoyed your comments on the history of this. it is interesting that they could get away with reprinting this and just changing the names. it makes me wonder if contracts with artists and laws concerning this kind of thing in general were just less clear in those days. of course, it could be that no one noticed or no one gave a shit after 15 years? i also enjoyed you analysis of our rather submissive spankee. interesting..............i guess no 2 potential spankees are alike ;) . you mentioned that the entire comic was recolored. what i noticed is that the person who did the coloring was apparently not that good at staying within the lines..............or do you get some sort of bleed on the coloring during the process of printing these? i also liked the "Bridgette" spanking. it certainly has an interesting history :D . we don't know what's going on here but the spanker is obviously pretty irritated and because of that is doing a good job of spanking her as indicated by the color of her bottom cheeks, while our spankee looks very embarrassed to be face down, with her bottom bared, getting a spanking :D . i'm not sure why her top is pulled up to bare her breasts..............except for the edification of the male viewers :lol: . that would seem to serve no purpose for the spanking itself. i was wondering if you knew why Oxken removed the spankee's mother from the scene? personally, i think it might have been interesting to see her reaction to the spanking 8-) . more good updates this week :D . thanks for providing them for us. phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED CSR!!!!! AS much as I love seeing head strong women getting their bottoms spanked soundly in a comic this spanking in Roy Lance is reaaly nice 8-) the second scan is more clearer :D plus the guy watching is laughing and talking!!!! the redrawn version is better! anyway the storyline is kinda strange with the heroine trying to figure out who to obey :lol: the otk position is good wish there was pain line showing the spanking is hard :lol: all and all this is a GREAT spanking in comic and with a twist The hero Roy is not the one giving the spanking :twisted: Bridgette have a really nice big bottom and I`am glad the guy doing the spanking choose to pull down her pants :D he looks like he means bussines :lol: this is a Hot drawing plus with Bridgette`s breasts showing makes it SUPER HOT 8-) THANKS!!WANT to see more spankings from Fiction House 8-)
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/23/2015

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:it is interesting that they could get away with reprinting this and just changing the names. it makes me wonder if contracts with artists and laws concerning this kind of thing in general were just less clear in those days. of course, it could be that no one noticed or no one gave a shit after 15 years? ............... you mentioned that the entire comic was recolored. what i noticed is that the person who did the coloring was apparently not that good at staying within the lines..............or do you get some sort of bleed on the coloring during the process of printing these?
To answer your first question, Phil, copyright laws have always been a little murky, although they're clearer now than they were at the time (Congress rewrote the law back in 1978, I think it was). Lawsuits and threats of lawsuits went on all the time in the comics industry (I've told the story of one or two of them over the years, for instance when explaining who the Spider-Woman character was). But even then, there was really no doubt that both the Roy Lance character (he had a continuing strip in Jungle Comics when this story was first printed) and the story itself were under copyright, presumably by Fiction House. But remember that Fiction House was primarily a book publisher which wanted to cash in on the then-profitable comics industry, so they farmed out the actual production of their comic material to the Iger-Eisner studio. That means it's just possible that Iger-Eisner held the copyright to the stories and art but not the major characters(!) and this would explain why Iger, 15 years later, felt that as "Art Editor" for Ajax/Farrell (an unusual title, by the way, as "Art Director" would be more typical) he could legally use the story and art as long as the "Roy Lance" name didn't appear (the likeness was probably seen as less of a problem).

Even that last is a tricky point. The old Harvey Green Hornet comic book is no longer under copyright, but the character itself still is. So could I try to make some money for CSR by republishing those old Harvey issues? Even if I took the name "Green Hornet" off the stories, I'd still be left with a character wearing a green coat and muffler, with a gas gun and "hornet's sting" weapon and a Chinese manservant! It would be pretty obvious who it was, and the Green Hornet copyright holder would undoubtedly sue me. Roy Lance was a lot less distinctive-looking as a character, so Farrell could probably get away with it.

The Green Hornet copyright is a problem for me in another way, too - those old Harvey comics had some spankings in them (including Green Hornet #36), and while I have been able to review digital scans of some of them, the Green Hornet strip has never been digitized because of those very same copyright concerns, so I just don't know if GH himself ever did any spanking.

As to your second question, the problem was with the color bleed during the printing phase rather than the coloring process itself, which was done by an artist using a brush and special inks. Briefly, back in those days and in fact all through the years we were growing up reading comics, they were printed by a four-color process which was rather complicated. Basically, four different color photographic negatives had to be produced (one each for black, red, cyan, and yellow) from which color plates were prepared (metal in the early days, later on switching to crappy plastic). Each sheet of paper would be rolled through four different presses in succession, getting one color printed at a time on both sides. Since different plates were used for the different colors, you can imagine that the alignment was not perfect and sometimes notably off, as you noticed here.
butch wrote:WANT to see more spankings from Fiction House 8-)
Me too, Butch - in fact I suspect we all would :lol: ! I talked about Fiction House a little before in response to Phil's question. As I mentioned, they were primarily book publishers and they only published 6 comic-book titles on a regular basis. Nonetheless, these 6 titles were known for their "Good Girl Art" and, consulting the Comics Spanking Data Base into which I built a search by publisher capability :geek: , we see that they had 18 spankings :!: , of which 7 were M/F. I have checked all the available FH titles, and offhand I don't know how many are left. I'll probably recheck and get back to everyone as I discuss in a future article how many more Golden Age spankings I think may still be out there.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i had a hunch that copyright laws would be a bit vague but didn't really know about Fiction House and them farming out the comics portion of their operation. i'm betting there are lot of other "arrangements" i am unaware of too so i'll probably just keep asking such questions. as for the color bleed, now that you've explained the process i can understand. lining it all up 4 times just sounds like it won't work perfectly. thanks, i appreciate the education :D . phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Very nice job, Web-ed, with the "Roy Lance spanking." I'll admit that this one confused me for a good while, because in the penultimate scene (1940 version), the eventual spanker argues with Joan, saying: "You forget, Joan, I'm directing this troupe!" The argument goes on back and forth, and eventually he puts her over his knee and spanks her. I'm confused because, while you and your correspondents have called this "a Roy Lance spanking," it does seem that John Abbot, not Roy Lance, is the spanker here.

Not that it makes a lot of difference. Joan does get spanked, and that is what we like. Oh, and thanks loads for getting a new, better scan of this comic strip. It makes a world of difference, doesn't it? :D

Cheers,
Dan
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Comics Update: Roy Lance Spanking. We discovered this story was reprinted 15 years later, which gives us a nice new scan plus quite a few questions that we take a stab at answering.
I liked the new clearer scan, and the history that went with it.

Poor Joan! She's the most compliant, obedient heroine I've ever seen in a comic book story...and she gets spanked anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: The writer set her up in a no-win situation, where her obedience to the experienced jungle guide puts her at odds with the director ot the picture she's working on! (Now, if I was writing a story like that, I think I'd have her finally agree to do what the director tells her to do... and then, while following his orders, she would do something to earn herself a spanking from the guide! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
web-ed wrote:A most unusual item involving three different artists: Bridgette gets Spanked.
I've never heard of the character, Bridgette, until now... but she's certainly done something to get that bald-headed bearded guy riled up! That's a very red bottom she has there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 01/30/2015

Post by web-ed »

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.

The last of five updates this month features Oxken once again modifying a spanking drawing, this time Dave Wolfe's classic "Dagwood Spanks Blondie," and a new version of one of the four spankings from Roy Crane's Captain Easy.
  • Comics Update: Dagwood Spanks Blondie #3. Oxken gives us his variation on Dave Wolfe's original drawing.
  • Comics Update 2: a new version of Captain Easy Spanking #4.
Next Week: We had a lot of fun with last year's Romantic Spanking Month in February, so we're going to do one again this year. I don't have as many previously-undiscovered spankings from romance comics - only two more have surfaced in the past 11 months - but I do have the long-awaited revelation for Valentine's Day of the details behind the mysterious "Secretary Swats" panel I posted several years ago, plus some other updates to existing pages and some special features. Be here next time for a new scan of Campus Romances #2 and a spanking with no pictures from Romantic Adventures #16! :)
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Nice to see a smiling Blondie with a reddening arse.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i like the Dagwood/Blondie spanking. it's just what most of us have been thinking should happen for decades so what's not to like :D ........at last indeed :D . it's a great OTK position and i love the way Blondie is kicking her legs just a bit :D . i also like the happy expression with just a hint of evil on Dagwood's face :lol: ............typical Wolfie grin if you ask me ;) . Blondie is very shapely in this toon, especially her nicely rounded bare bottom and i think the loving smile on her face tells the story, even without the dialog 8-) . i am a very big fan of Wolfietoons and i'm assuming that Oxken is too since he chose Dave's drawing to modify :D ;) . thanks to Dave Wolfe for making our fantasies come true and to Oxken for the modifications :D . i like the Captain Easy too. i just love it when the girl getting the spanking really deserves it and when she really gets it good :D . i love her reaction and expression when he takes her in hand and the horses in the background are a riot :lol: . i also like that she calls for help although none is forthcoming :lol: . the spanking scene is wonderful........good OTK position and he's really wailing the daylights out of her :D . i also like the way she's rubbing as she tells the man that the spanker is going to kill him 8-) . nice new scan and i'm glad that you were able to verify your initial guess about the date of this being in the 1930s. very good updates again this week :D . thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!!!! At LAST is right It about time Dagwood give his beautiful wife Blondie a spanking 8-) ! if only this was a punishment spanking that would have her yelling for him to stop 8-) Remember a strip some years back where she whacks on on the rear with a broom! the otk is great with Blondie`s plump tush up high especially in the second drawing :lol: the look on Dagwood`s face as he spanks his wife is a pure joy :lol: Always wanted to see Blondie get a spanking I belive their daughter Cookie got one as a teenager but never Blondie :x anyway Super great drawing from OXKEN 8-) !! Captain Easy really did geef her the spanks judging how she rubbing her burning rear :lol: Like how the hero Captain Easy explains to her how he is not going to kill her but give her a good spanking! CLASSIC! can`t understand why he said he going to be a mother to her? maybe because back in the days Mothers was the ones who gave spankings to their bad offsprings when neeeded :lol: anyway the over the knee is good as Captain Easy clearly is wailing the heck out of her backside :lol: that skimpy outfit she wearing add no protection :lol: BIG THUMBS UP TO ROY CRANE ON THIS DRAWING ! EXCELLENCE 8-) THANKS!
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Thanks, Web-ed, for the fine updates this week. I am especially fond of the Wash Tubbs/Captain Easy strip, especially now that you (and Richard Windsor) have found an excellent -- AND extensive -- new, high definition scan.

It's quite true what you say, about certain supporting characters in old comic strips somehow "taking over" and becoming the stars. You've mentioned Popeye and Nancy, and I would add Snuffy Smith to that group. Originally, that strip was called "Barney Google" and Snuffy Smith was just a friend of Barney's, merely a supporting character. But Snuffy apparently struck a chord with the public, and the later strips were all titled "Snuffy Smith."

The spanking panel, as you have said, is quite good. Proper over-the-knee positioning and exactly four (4!) onomatopoeias to indicate that the spanking was lengthy. Somewhere there is another Roy Crane toon, dated much later than this Captain Easy, where another character (who looks exactly like Captain Easy) is spanking some other unlucky female, and in that one Crane lets us see THREE (3!) panels that show the spanking.The date for that toon is 1944. Guess folks liked seeing naughty females getting what they've got coming, in the 1940s.

Thanks again, and... Keep the Faith!

Cheers,
Dan
oxken

Post by oxken »

Firstly a big apology for not having responded earlier. I'm afraid I am erratic and tardy but I seem to be increasingly absent minded too and managed to forget my password within two weeks of setting it. Anyway enough excuses.

I wish I could draw, but I can't. So I am driven back to photoshop modifications. I am always nervous about modifying modern drawings and I didn't recognise that Dave Wolfe had done the original Blondie cartoon. I hope he regards my effort as homage - I loved the original, but I do have a preference for girls bent well over and I saw a chance to adapt the original.

I do tend to remove everything that isn't directly involving the action in hand. A big part of this is that it makes the job a lot easier - very often, completing the background to match the modified action is harder than the main modifications - at least for someone with my very limited drawing skills. But I think maybe I also believe in The Spanking, The Whole Spanking and Nothing But The Spanking. So I have a tendency to undo cropping (I mean cutting off the edges of the picture!) and removing background

Apologies to anyone who preferred the original to one of my modifications and enormous apologies to any artist whose brainchild I butchered.

Oxken
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/30/2015

Post by web-ed »

butch wrote: can`t understand why he said he going to be a mother to her? maybe because back in the days Mothers was the ones who gave spankings to their bad offsprings when neeeded :lol:
Probably, Butch - you may remember the Phantom said the same thing about "Being a mother to you" when spanking Zagra. I think that year was 1937, a little later than this one.
daneldorado wrote:Thanks again, and... Keep the Faith!
You're welcome Dan, and I think you'll like Romantic Spanking Month, featuring as it does M/F OTK spankings from romance comics.
oxken wrote:I do tend to remove everything that isn't directly involving the action in hand. A big part of this is that it makes the job a lot easier - very often, completing the background to match the modified action is harder than the main modifications - at least for someone with my very limited drawing skills. But I think maybe I also believe in The Spanking, The Whole Spanking and Nothing But The Spanking. So I have a tendency to undo cropping (I mean cutting off the edges of the picture!) and removing background

Apologies to anyone who preferred the original to one of my modifications and enormous apologies to any artist whose brainchild I butchered.
First, thanks for explaining your goals to everyone so they don't have to rely only on my surmises! I don't think Dave Wolfe would object to your modifications, although of course artists can be understandably upset if they feel their existing work was bastardized rather than a new one coming into being. I print your modifications and those of Pablo because I think they enhance or perhaps just emphasize the originals. And judging from Phil's response, CSR readers are generally favorably disposed:
overbarrel49 wrote: i am a very big fan of Wolfietoons and i'm assuming that Oxken is too since he chose Dave's drawing to modify :D ;) . thanks to Dave Wolfe for making our fantasies come true and to Oxken for the modifications :D .
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

my take on the drawing by Sassy Bottoms
my take on the drawing by Sassy Bottoms
confirmation 3.jpg (144.88 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
the Missus in Distress by Sassy Bottoms
the Missus in Distress by Sassy Bottoms
CP5.JPG (105.6 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
oxken wrote:I wish I could draw, but I can't. So I am driven back to photoshop modifications. I am always nervous about modifying modern drawings and I didn't recognise that Dave Wolfe had done the original Blondie cartoon. I hope he regards my effort as homage - I loved the original, but I do have a preference for girls bent well over and I saw a chance to adapt the original.
hi Oxken,

i have spoken the words in your first sentence many times.............i could never draw either. instead of modifying drawings, i use Poser and Photoshop to do my own but the idea is the same............the computer programs take the place of drawing skill :lol: . you are certainly not alone in doing modifications of existing drawings and there are even some folks who CAN draw who modify drawings too...........Funbun comes to mind in that category but there are others. i haven't talked to Dave Wolfe about this but i figure that he is flattered that you chose one of his drawings............assuming he's seen your version. in addition to modifying drawings, artists will sometimes be so taken with a drawing by another artist that they will do a drawing of their own which emulates the original in an attempt express their admiration. i haven't modified any drawings but i have done some in honor of another artist's work. the drawing i have posted here is by Sassy Bottoms and is one of my all time favorite spanking drawings. my understanding is that it is titled "the Missus in Distress". if that's not the original title i apologize to Sassy Bottoms but i do think it's certainly a fitting title :D . a few years back, i did one intended to emulate and express my admiration for this drawing. it wasn't my intention to duplicate her drawing but to do a similar drawing to pay tribute to hers ;) . i am posting it here for comparison. is it the same as the original.......no and that was never intended. do i like it as well as the original.............no again..........i just did the best i could to pay tribute to the original. do i feel bad that mine isn't as good as the original.............no again............i did the best i could to produce a good spanking pic and now there are at least 2 that are similar so i feel like i have added to spanking art with this and i think you should feel the same about your work. phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

First of all, let me say I'm delighted that you featured two M/F spanking panels of old-time comic strip characters!
web-ed wrote:Comics Update: Dagwood Spanks Blondie #3. Oxken gives us his variation on Dave Wolfe's original drawing.
O.K. so this wasn't from the actual strip... but the drawing by Dave Wolfe and Oxken's modification of it are a whole lot of fun!
web-ed wrote:Comics Update 2: a new version of Captain Easy Spanking #4.
Mmmm! I like that one too! Ha ha! "Oo how 'e spank!" Do you have any idea what the story was that led up to that spanking? The dialog that we do have would indicate that she falsely accused him of something... and that he was almost put to death for it. I'd like more of the story, if you know it.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/30/2015

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote:First of all, let me say I'm delighted that you featured two M/F spanking panels of old-time comic strip characters!
web-ed wrote:Comics Update 2: a new version of Captain Easy Spanking #4.
Mmmm! I like that one too! Ha ha! "Oo how 'e spank!" Do you have any idea what the story was that led up to that spanking? The dialog that we do have would indicate that she falsely accused him of something... and that he was almost put to death for it. I'd like more of the story, if you know it.
Yes, I know that your preference is for M/F, b00m, as is my own and that of most of the regulars around here. We'll be seeing a good amount of M/F until Super Spanking Summer rolls around and the level of F/F goes up because that's what most artists draw. And even then, I do have some M/F ones to share.

As for the Captain Easy spanking, I wish I did have more of the story but I don't. Getting more information on any of the more than 300 comic spankings I've posted in Comics Gallery 2 is always on my agenda, but of course not necessarily at the top of the list at any given time. If I find out more in the future, I'll definitely post the information. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 02/06/2015

Post by web-ed »

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.

The Second Annual Romantic Spanking Month kicks off this week:
  • Comics Update: This one's here on the Forum because no actual spanking is pictured even though one does take place - it's in a text feature of Romantic Adventures #16!
  • Comics Update 2: a new version of Campus Romances #2 in which a college graduate learns one more lesson over an older man's knee!
Next Week: Just in time for Valentine's Day I finally reveal the details behind the mysterious "Secretary Swats" panel I posted several years ago, plus Tim chimes in with his parody of spankings in romance comics! Be here next time for all the romantic rump-roasting! :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i'm glad to see romantic spanking month :D . i liked the story you posted and i commented on that in the "threats and missed opportunities" forum. i'm glad you were able to get the new scan of Campus Romances #2 and verify all the information about it :D thanks too for including the cover so we could see what it looked like. i have to say that our spankee certainly needed a good spanking 8-) . as you mentioned, the spanking panel has some problems with it but i guess it does at least get the point across :D . you are absolutely right about Dick looking like Clark Gable too and i'm betting that's no accident, considering how he handled the situation. good updates............i'll be looking forward to the next installment of romantic spanking month :D . thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!!! FINALLY FEBRUARY IS HERE!'' MEANING SPANKING ROMANCE MONTH 8-) What a weird name for a story Papa Spank? when it wasn`t the father who did the spanking :? This was a good story about a spoil girl getting a well deserve spanking from her father employee with him watching approving !what a great time to live in :lol: THANKS For the info about sending letters to comics! The spanking in Campus Romance might not been well drawn but the storyline is GREAT 8-) Jean Mother was right her bratty daughter really needed a father :lol: wonder if Dick would spank her also :D Next to Westerns you can find plenty of spankings in Romance stories back in the day I spent lots of money buying romance novels and books looking for spankings :D found a bunch :lol: wish the artist have gave us a back view of Jean`s spanking :lol: GREAT!
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:The Second Annual Romantic Spanking Month kicks off this week:

Comics Update: This one's here on the Forum because no actual spanking is pictured even though one does take place - it's in a text feature of Romantic Adventures #16!
Comics Update 2: a new version of Campus Romances #2 in which a college graduate learns one more lesson over an older man's knee!
I was happy that both spankings featured this week in the update were M/F! A mother's boyfriend... someone who will probably become her step-father... isn't exactly my favorite situation. On the one hand, the spanking was done in a very business-like fashion... cutting down on the possible creepiness factor... but... it also made it totally unromantic. The young manager, working for the girl's father and spanking the girl DOES have some nice romantic potential! It's been done a lot... but that's because it works! Hmmm! I wonder if I could rip off... pardonez moi... HOMAGE that idea for one of my stories?