Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
Sweetspot

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by Sweetspot »

I like it Dan, that's a first class touch-up job. While you took care of the over-cropping I'm afraid that my under-cropping may leave people with the impression that this strip was a collaboration between Allen Saunders and Elmer Woggon. In fact, Saunders and Woggan were responsible for the strip that appeared below A an' S in the particular newspaper I clipped. That strip being Big Chief Wahoo which would eventually metamorphous into Steve Roper. This was an early funny page clip effort of mine and I'm afraid my digital cutting wasn't very precise.

The possible meaning behind the name Tony Turkle has been mentioned several times on the board already. Let me throw in my two-cents worth. Slats runs out in the rain because the Turkle's Rolls-Ravioli has let off an explosive, gun-shot like, backfire and come to a sloppy halt right in front of the Scrapple residence. At one point Slats wants to know how many "guests" will be spending the night, Mr. Turkle says himself, the chauffer and Tony - who is in the back seat. Kee-rect! Slats, thinking Tony is a guy tells him to "...shake a leg". Obviously from the shapely gam that appears out the car door Tony turns out to be a GIRL! We share Slats surprise. Because master writer Al Capp [I'll get to that in a moment] doesn't want us to get ahead of the gag he names her Tony to help fool us concerning her gender - so the first name is all about the gag. The name Turkle besides being nicely alliterate with the name Tony is one letter removed from being Turtle so that Turtle Soup becomes Turkle Soup. You may mock Turkle Soup but I think it's a pretty good joke - but what do I know about attempting humor. The obvious target for satire even back in 1938 would have been Campbell's Soup but perhaps wary editors didn't want to poke fun at a big newspaper advertiser so we don't get Tampbell's Soup or Tony Tampbell.

I recently invested in a used copy of Maurice Horn's "over 1400 entries" World Encyclopedia of comics. Abbie An' Slats is the second entry in the book after Norwegian comic artist Hakon Aasnes [you're welcome]. According to Horn, Al Capp wrote the continuities for the first nine years beginning in 1937. The artist, Raeburn van Buren was already an accomplished illustrator when Capp convinced him to take on the steady work of comic art. Elliot Caplin took over the writing from his brother and continued in that capacity until the strip ended on January 30th (my birthday) 1971 (not my birth-year).
Last edited by Sweetspot on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Sweetspot:

Thanks for the info about Saunders and Woggon. Their names have now been removed to protect the innocent. (See attachment.)

"You may mock turtle soup...?" :D You're a funny guy, Phil.

Oh, about that catchphrase "Kee-rect!" that various A. & S. characters sometimes spout:

When I was in the U.S. Army, I had a sergeant who used that term, obviously an Abbie an' Slats fan. Only when Sarge said it, it came out: "Kee-rectum!" :lol:

Cheers,
Dan
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Web-Ed, Dan -
So perhaps Mark Turkle is a typical Al Capp word-play derived from mock turtle.

So I looked further into this continuity story from 1938 wondering if there would be a reference back to the spanking. That I did not find.

The phone rings for Mark Turkle at the Scrapple residence and it turns out to be one of his minion's wanting to know if he has made his decision about reopening a neighboring small town's cannery for use in his soup business. Turkle is about to say yes when Slats rushes outside and cuts the telephone wires to the house. Why? Because Crabtree Corners has it' own shuddered cannery and Slats would like the opportunity to make a pitch on behalf of his hometown workforce. For some reason, even though in fact no one has worked harder on behalf of the local cannery, Slats Scrapple is carrying the blame for the factory being closed. Turkle threatens to cane Slats for cutting off his call but does listen to his plea. He likes the young man's gumption and is about to strike a deal when the recently humiliated Tony Turkle comes into the room. She asks her dad if she can make the cannery decision and her dad agrees. Later she connives Slats into dropping Becky and romancing her in exchange for a decision in Crabtree Corners favor. Becky leaves town, Tony and Slats become an item and Abbie decides she must do something! She arranges for a phony Russian Prince to woe Tony. The beggar prince and Tony run off and marry. When they return Abbie inexplicably confesses her plot to Tony who in turn threatens everyone in sight - but she, as far as I can tell, is never in the strip again. No lose-ends are tied up, Becky is still gone, the fate of the cannery is unsure and Tony's sham marriage seems to be intact as the strip immediately moves on to a story about bad-guys attempting to kidnap a dog. This is true soap-opera comic-strip story-telling at its best.
Last edited by Sweetspot on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED CSR!! Abbiey And Slats had a lot of spankings in their comic 8-) only this one unlike the others isn`t as Great! it a Very GOOD!!`` Spanking only it wasn`t that exciting :) Love the build up 8-) Tony Turkle is a very Glamorous young woman and it was worth reading all those panels just to see her get her comeuppance :lol: :lol: :lol: the otk is Great!! only I wish Tony was more vocal kicking and yelling at Slats for doing something like this to her instead of that shock look on her face!! also the artist should have giving her a more bigger bottom! it a spanking scene and I think people want to see a larger target being smack :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: the after spanking I like with the now humiliated Tony rubbing her well spanked rear :lol: :lol: 8-) Very GOOD 8-)
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Banning... you say Stats, but it should be Slats.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Dan
Kee...Rect! I must have used Stats instead of Slats a dozen times over several posts. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I've edited those posts to make the appropriate corrections. Would you be willing to accept my misstep as an early April Fools Day joke? ;)
Phil S
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

In an attempt to compensate for several errors I committed at CSR over the past few days I am going to post the only April Fools Day strip gag from the newspapers that I know resulted in a spanking for an adult female. You're familiar with the spanking panel. It can be found in Gallery #2. So I'm not offering anything new in that regard but it is April 1st and what better time to share this joke than on it's 65th anniversary.
FanFareApril1st,1952.png
FanFareApril1st,1952.png (54.81 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
I must have scanned 4000 images looking for this before it finally popped into view a few months ago. I did it because it was a puzzle worth solving not because it's an exceptional find - in fact it was no find at all. Ultimately its rediscovery has value for dating, content, source and giving proper credit to the author - And, of course, as an April Fools Day gag which is why you're seeing it now as a way of saying sorry for the blunders.

To this point in time only the last panel had been published in CSR and Web-Ed had no other clues about the source other than the word April. Anyway you can read about all that on the main site. In this case the word April actually made sense [unlike the clue word Worm - but that's a story for another day] given the date and gag. However using April as a key search word proved fruitless because the gag requires the young fellow to say "...All Fool's Day". With over 20 more years of dailies and Sunday strips left in the run of this cartoon I wonder if more spankings are to be found? The connection between the theme for 4/1/52 and the fact that this is a sports-strip is pretty tenuous but I think Walt Ditzen's first love evidently would have been to do a family strip, so I guess he occasionally did straight out family gags.

Ditzen was considered by no less a cartoonist than Charles M. Shultz as the person who was most helpful with advise when Shultz was getting Peanuts off the ground.

Walt Ditzen was born in Davenport, IA, worked in Chicago for the Chicago Sun-Times as a comics editor. He also was a staff illustrator for the National Safety Council. He told his Sun-Times boss in 1945 that he wanted to try his hand at a family strip. His boss said they wanted a sports strip and Fan Fare was born. Ditzen would move to Scottsdale, AZ and continued to produce his strip until his death by heart attack in 1973 at age 59. He left behind strips through the first week of April of that year. 

Fan Fare, unlike the sports page strip Tank McNamara that premiered the year after Fan Fare ended, did not have a central character but did have a cast that represented a variety of sports enthusiasts and participants. Ditzen covered a variety of activities in his strip including bowling, golf, baseball, football, hunting and fishing and basketball. Ditzen played basketball for pay in his native IA. He was 6'4" and 230. Just before his death he had been awarded the Special Service Award by the American Bowling Congress.

Phil S  
Last edited by Sweetspot on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Potpourri

Post by web-ed »

Wow - you guys have been so active that in order to cover everything you've done, I've had to put this board on two separate tabs at the same time, one to look at what you've written and the other to write this :!: (Everybody understands how to browse with multiple tabs or multiple windows open at the same time, right? It's useful sometimes. Let me know if you need some instruction; thankfully it's not generally necessary with CSR).
  • Additional Abbie An' Slats panels - thanks, Phil, and these have been added to the relevant pages although I have not uploaded the revisions to Spanking #4 yet. I also added your description of the "Helena gets spanked" storyline. It will be uploaded and linked to by Friday.
  • Dan's improved spanking panel - I will try hard to add this to the page before Friday. Thanks, Dan, and nice job! :)
  • Fan Fare - this is another of Phil S.'s discoveries. I believe I had obtained the spanking panel from JimC's spanking Yahoo group back in 2010, but no one there (or Jim or I) knew the source. I was, of course, going to post the update eventually but completely missed the opportunity to do it for April Fool's Day, my only excuse being that I'm knee-deep in coding all the other stuff I've got planned for April - our 13th Anniversary. And I'll get around to updating the page one of these days. Thanks for doing all this, Phil, and I'll just comment that in this newer scan the spankee-wife doesn't exactly look discontented to me ;) .
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/07/2017

Post by web-ed »

Let's get right to the exciting stuff with this week's updates:
  • In honor of The Comic Strip Series on the main site, we present another example of what we call the "behind in jeopardy" over here on the Bulletin Board. And it's a queen's behind at that in this Oaky Doaks strip.
  • The Comic Strip Series continues as we begin our four-part presentation of the Oaky Doaks spanking storyline!
I also added Sweetspot's information and scan to Abbie an' Slats Spanking #4 and Dan's revision of the Tony Turkle spanking panel to Abbie an' Slats Spanking #5 (no links here because of the two-link limit in posts).

The Oaky Doaks Spanking Storyline will be presented throughout the month. I will try to rig the links so that the current one takes you to where we left off last week (we'll be seeing multiple days of the strip each week, 5, 5, 5, and then 6 the final week), but it's not like it would be hard to figure out. This remarkable find of Sweetspot's is like a Spanko's dream come true: the plotline revolves around Oaky falling under the influence of a strange potion that makes him want to spank every woman he sees :D ! Not only is it a great idea, we get to see a lot of females, including two queens, get turned over his knee!

Next, it's CSR's Anniversary again some time this month. I forgot to record the actual date in 2004 when we first went live, so future scholars and historians will only be able to conjecture when this world-shaking event occurred :lol: . The first six years were slow but steady, and I think we had something like 300 total web pages at the end of them, with this board going online in Nov. 2009. Then in 2010 JimC and I plotted the first Year of the Comic Strip, although I don't think we gave it a formal title. I got a lot of comic strip material from his Yahoo spanking group, plus I may well have had some from my Golden Age search by then, so by the time the year was over the site had doubled in size to 600 pages!

We won't be doubling the site's size again this year (we stand at approximately 1400 pages now), but we will be having the most exceptional comics-related year since 2010. I actually haven't scheduled anything beyond May, so I don't know how many new spankings it will add up to, but it will be a lot. I might say a little more about that next week.

I also like to do some special feature each April, and this year it will be a focus on birthday spankings which will begin next week. I've got plenty of drawings and videos, including birthday girls getting paddled in bars, and a very unusual mini-series of three birthday spankings I won't describe here because I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Next Week:
The Comic Strip Series continues with the second of four installments featuring the Oaky Doaks spanking storyline. And we present "A Tribute to Birthday Spankings - Part 1". :)
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!!!! The Oaky Doaks Spanking story Line Strip is one I wish would lasted a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME 8-) :D :D :D What not to like about this strip a guy going around spanking women because he hates them :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: now the hating women part is a little harsh! it should be all women are bad or Naughty and need a good spanking :lol: no truer words today :D :D :D anyway Love this strip 8-) the otk is Good although the Witch should had been planted flatly over his lap! alsoi can tell the spanking is hard due to her crying :lol: she have a very nice big bottom in that long black clingy dress :D Should have had a problem sitting on that broom as she made her escape :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: GREAT GREAT COMIC STRIP 8-) Like the woman showing her well spanked bottom to another woman :lol: :lol: :lol: Come on Oaky Spank your wife :lol: :lol:
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

It looks like the Oaky Doaks strip is off to a good start :D . There's a lot of action here......2 spanking panels, a third attempt although spanking a girl dressed as a Knight, which proved to be a mistake :lol: and then the aftermath of another girl he's spanked with a pillow tied to her bottom :lol: . In addition, the witch is looking pretty good as she rides off sidesaddle on her broom :lol: . At the risk of repeating myself, all this action sure makes me think the writer is a spanko. Additionally, the way the spanking panels are drawn just reinforces this belief. In the first spanking panel, the OTK position is really great with her head down, her bottom up high and her kicking legs, just as we like to see our spankees 8-) . She does appear to be floating a bit since his leg isn't directly under her bottom but it's still very good. In the second spanking panel, our spankee seems to have settled in on his lap and the position looks very natural to me :D . I also like the progression of here facial expressions starting with startled disbelief in the first one to the pain and tears in the second one to squalling as he lets her up. Very well done ;) . I could have done without him trying to spank her through her armor but it's still a spanking reference :lol: . I've never actually seen a girl tie a pillow to her butt but it certainly does get the point across :lol: . This is obviously a great find by Phil S. and I'll be anxiously awaiting next week's installment........along with the start of the birthday spankings :D . Great updates. Thanks, Phil
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Phil Overbarrel -
I can see why the writer of the strip made Buttercup the only woman he attempts to spank but to whom he fails to deliver a meaningful spanking. Buttercup was a strip semi-regular at this point, a common girl who sometimes found herself treated poorly by the several female royals who populated Sir Oaky's world. Buttercup had a crush on Oaky and proved over and over again to be an excellent friend. In this particular instance she has saved Sir Oaky's life.
OakyDoaksSeptember17,1943.png
OakyDoaksSeptember17,1943.png (48.31 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Buttercup was s good candidate for the spanking in armor gag.
Phil S.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.

I haven't been logged on to C.S.R. much lately, due to my busy schedule, but I had to comment on this latest update
web-ed wrote:The Comic Strip Series continues as we begin our four-part presentation of the Oaky Doaks spanking storyline!
web-ed wrote:Morgana the witch, who evidently lusts after Oaky Doaks, believes she has gotten her hands on Merlin's love potion. Instead Merlin has tricked her because the potion will actually cause any man who drinks it to immediately hate all women and to proceed to spank them. Morgana contrives to serve the hidden potion to Oaky Doaks in an after-dinner drink. He almost immediately spanks her and tosses her in a closet. She escapes in short order promising revenge on Oaky Doaks but essentially broom-flies her way out of this story.
A hate potion causing him to hate all women? An odd premise, but if it leads to some spankings, I'm not complaining!

We see Morgana in a slinky black evening gown, trying to seduce Oaky, and getting turned over his knee instead. Heh heh! Dave Wolfe has talked about the "hilarity and horniness" factor in comic spankings, and this does indeed have both elements! Morgana's upturned derriere is nicely-shaped, and although her skirt is not raised for the spanking, I imagine that the fabric is quite thin and she may possibly be not wearing anything underneath! And we get TWO panels of Morgana getting spanked! One at the end of September 3rd's strip and one at the beginning of September 4th's. Wow! What a find!

And... I notice that, during her escape, Morgana is riding her broom sidesaddle, with the broom supporting her weight at her thighs, and NOT her butt! Was the artist a spanko? This little detail seems to be something that only a spanko would've thought of.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 04/07/2017

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote:
We see Morgana in a slinky black evening gown, trying to seduce Oaky, and getting turned over his knee instead. Heh heh! Dave Wolfe has talked about the "hilarity and horniness" factor in comic spankings, and this does indeed have both elements! Morgana's upturned derriere is nicely-shaped, and although her skirt is not raised for the spanking, I imagine that the fabric is quite thin and she may possibly be not wearing anything underneath! And we get TWO panels of Morgana getting spanked! One at the end of September 3rd's strip and one at the beginning of September 4th's. Wow! What a find!

And... I notice that, during her escape, Morgana is riding her broom sidesaddle, with the broom supporting her weight at her thighs, and NOT her butt! Was the artist a spanko? This little detail seems to be something that only a spanko would've thought of.
Glad you liked it, b00m! Good observation about Morgana riding her broomstick sidesaddle (she rode it right out of this storyline, as it happens, although I'm sure I've got something else with her in the nature of a Missed Opportunity I need to schedule). We'll have to return to the question about spanko involvement in the strip when we conclude this long adventure in two weeks' time. Why the wait? Because I haven't gotten around to writing anything about it yet :lol: !
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/14/2017

Post by web-ed »

As usual I've got too much to say to fit into a post of reasonable length, so let's get cracking:
Why birthday spankings? Basically because they're the most public form of spanking and therefore something we might easily encounter. Of course, we CSR forum regulars have typically had many and varied spanking experiences in our lives, but not all CSR readers are so fortunate, and in our young years birthday spankings might be the only kind we'd ever be able to witness. Also, the idea of a birthday spanking is rather fascinating when you stop to think about it... :D So I've assembled some photos, drawings, and videos to be presented in three parts, today through April 27.

A word about the videos: I'm sure no one wants to hear me complain once again about the problems with video players embedded in web pages. However, I need to mention for the benefit of CSR readers who do not use Microsoft's Internet Explorer that while I will not shill for Microsoft's products (I think Bill Gates has gone from nerdy purveyor of bad software to cartoonish super-villain in recent years, as a matter of fact), their Windows Media Player is still the only good player that's easy to code into a webpage. The Adobe Flash Player is troublesome and requires a tool be used to generate code, and if there's one thing I hate, it's machine-generated code - by God it's ugly :x ! If you know anything about HTML, take a word processing document sometime and let the program re-format it into HTML - the resulting code is almost unreadable! (You can view the neat and clean code I write for any of CSR's pages by using the "View Source" facility of your browser. You'll even see future plans commented in the Home Page, only visible by this method (it's how I keep track of what I'm doing the next few weeks).

So if you do not use IE, you will not see the embedded players (I tried to get them to work in Firefox and failed). But do not despair, for all is not lost! I have provided links so you can download the video files and play them yourself. Use the "wmv" versions if you have Windows Media Player; otherwise use the "mpg" (MPEG-2) versions which most modern players should be able to handle. This is also the version to use if you want to burn these videos to DVD format.

The Oaky Doaks Spanking Storyline surges ahead this week as Queen Guinevere herself falls victim to Oaky's drug-induced spanking rampage, and we get two very nice OTK panels. I've got the link set to take you to exactly the point where we left off last week, but of course it won't hurt if you go back to the beginning of the story. I'm not going to say anything else about this sensational storyline right now; let's just sit back and enjoy it for the moment.

Finally, a big word of thanks to our Resident Artists, Dan Rivera, Hugob00m, and Phil Overbarrel: all three of them have pitched in to help us celebrate CSR's 13th anniversary: Dan with "Clapping Erasers"; b00m with "Cosplay," a new story featuring O.T. Katie, and Phil with his continuing mega-masterpiece "Good Marks". Be sure to catch them all in the Resident Artists sub-forum. (Sorry I can't provide links here because of the board's 2-link-per-post limit).

Next Week: The Comic Strip Series continues with the third of four installments featuring the Oaky Doaks spanking storyline. And we continue with "A Tribute to Birthday Spankings - Part 2". :)
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hi WEB -Ed CSR!!! The Oaky Doaks Spanking Story Line is SUPER HOT!!! 8-) love the women walking around with pillows strap to their bottom :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oaky and Very Hard skill Spanker :lol: but the best part is the spanking of The Queen 8-) what A Great Spanking And What a bottom she have specially in the second panel with it prop up over Oaky`s lap :D :D can`t blame The King for loving this :twisted: GREAT GREAT DRAWING! The Birthday Spanking are nice like The picture from 1949 something about that era and spanking that was wonderful 8-) The O.T Katie story is Good wonder did actresses used stunt double for a spanking scene remember reading that Joan Chen Used one in the Movie Tai Pan :twisted: THANKS!!!!!!
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Unfortunately the spanking of Queen Guinevere is my weakest Oaky Doaks clip in terms of the quality of the image. Not only that but before I emailed these clips to Web-ed last Fall I hadn't yet realized that I had a tool at my disposal to adjust the balance of the shade - live and learn! I really should go back and see if I can pull up something better. If it was from say, Blondie, I would have plenty of options but the number of papers that syndicated Oaky Doaks through the AP syndicate makes for a much smaller pool to draw from. The quality of the clip is dependent on the type of preservation the individual newspaper copy received from the publishers. So my choices are limited by syndication numbers, war time paper drives, holes in the collection - down in the paper's morgue and readability, etc.
Phil
Chief Strip Researcher
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi Web-ed.
web-ed wrote:The Comic Strip Series continues as we present part two of a four-part presentation, the Oaky Doaks spanking storyline!
This is a fun story... in spite of the important panel being sort of blurry.

I think that perhaps there is some more evidence the artist is a "spanko". So far, the pretty women have been spanked in frame, with their shapely bottoms propped up high, whereas, the not-so-pretty ones are shown afterward, wearing pillows tied to their backsides.
web-ed wrote:Finally, a big word of thanks to our Resident Artists, Dan Rivera, Hugob00m, and Phil Overbarrel: all three of them have pitched in to help us celebrate CSR's 13th anniversary: Dan with "Clapping Erasers"; b00m with "Cosplay," a new story featuring O.T. Katie, and Phil with his continuing mega-masterpiece "Good Marks". Be sure to catch them all in the Resident Artists sub-forum. (Sorry I can't provide links here because of the board's 2-link-per-post limit).
Also, thanks for the plug.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

OakyDoaksOctober2,1943.png
OakyDoaksOctober2,1943.png (43.07 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Hugo Boom
I trust you will find this copy from the "Moberly Monitor" to be less blurry. Looks like it doesn't even need to have the shading balanced.
Even though your post was addressed to the Web-ed and not to me please allow me to take a moment to gush over your Katie strips that I'm just now reading starting from the beginning. Your use of humor is outstanding. It goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway, that the art is superb. The formatting is above reproach and the storyline is a true classic. :D
Phil S.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Phil S
Sweetspot wrote:I trust you will find this copy from the "Moberly Monitor" to be less blurry. Looks like it doesn't even need to have the shading balanced.
Yes, that is a better scan of the queen getting spanked!
Sweetspot wrote:Even though your post was addressed to the Web-ed and not to me please allow me to take a moment to gush over your Katie strips that I'm just now reading starting from the beginning. Your use of humor is outstanding. It goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway, that the art is superb. The formatting is above reproach and the storyline is a true classic.
Thanks for the very nice compliments!