The Cane - Comparison of Materials

Spanking, Paddling, Caning (etc.) Technique. This is the place for any "how-to" questions.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

The Cane - Comparison of Materials

Post by web-ed »

With the help of an assistant (just before she was to be caned!), I finally managed to run an experiment I had been meaning to for some time: I wanted to compare the flexibility of rattan with the synthetics nylon, delrin, and lexan. The experiment consisted of suspending a 1 3/4 lb weight six inches from the point of support with the cane held horizontal (see diagram below):

The results were rattan, 1 3/4" deflection; delrin 2 3/4" deflection. We might loosely say that delrin (and I believe the results would have been about the same with nylon and lexan) is 57% "more flexible" than rattan! This is a remarkable discovery, considering how much more dense these synthetics are than rattan. [I don't have the precise density figures for delrin or rattan because I can't afford to destroy perfectly good canes to measure their density, but rattan is less dense than wood, which makes it less than 0.5 grams/cc, while delrin sinks in water, meaning it's greater than 1.0 grams/cc density - a considerable difference].

What this means to you, the caner (or canee): The high density combined with great flexibility means that the portion of a synthetic cane that extends past the target will tend to keep going and wrap around the canee's hip, which can easily cause bruising. This means you have less of a margin for error than you do with rattan - position the cane so the tip extends just beyond the buttocks (try for 1"). With rattan, you could probably get away with 2 - 3".

What about bamboo? While bamboo canes were certainly used in ancient China and perhaps other Asian countries where rattan was uncommon, and while I have seen them used myself, I don't recommend them because bamboo can split lengthwise, creating a cutting hazard. Rattan does break, but only crossways, therefore it doesn't create a cutting hazard. Delrin, nylon, and lexan are all unbreakable.

In a longer article, I mentioned that delrin, nylon, and lexan should only be used in 1/4" thickness and no thicker - they're simply too dense (i.e. "heavy"). Rattan can be used in thicknesses from 5/16" to 7/16" (8mm - 11mm) - in fact, 1/4" can be used, but I find it too light. Any thicker than 7/16" and we're basically in Singapore judicial caning territory (1/2").

One other consideration is sterility. This is probably only important if you're a pro domme who might use the same cane on a number of different people. I've never heard of any disease being communicated by means of a cane, but in theory it's possible if the skin is broken (which it shouldn't be in a proper caning) and the cane aborbs serum. Unfinished rattan could do this; I'm honestly not at all sure about varnished rattan. The synthetics are absolutely non-absorbent and therefor easy to sterilize with alcohol or a bleach solution.

Overall, then, my choice is still rattan, but if your cane is to be used on a number of different people or you want one that lasts forever, you might consider the synthetics.
-- Web-Ed