SpankingPanels.com

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

SpankingPanels.com

Post by web-ed »

One of the good things about running a non-commercial site is that I don't have to view other sites as rivals who are taking away my business, because there's no business to take away! CSR loses money by design, so if I fail to sing the praises of another good spanking site, it's either because I haven't seen it or I just haven't had the time to think about it.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted some rare items I found at SpankingPanels.com, and while I fully credited them as the source, I wanted to take some additional time to make sure CSR readers are fully informed about this outstanding new site, which has also been mentioned on Chross's Board.

Anyone reading this is certainly familiar with CSR's Comics Galleries and (probably) those few other sites that feature quantities of comic-book spankings. I say "few" because while many spanking sites have occasionally featured comics (this week I'm presenting something I found at the House of Richard Windsor, not normally a source for comic spankings), those of us who really specialize in this material are indeed few in number. So what sets Spanking Panels apart?

First, they don't use the scanned materials available on the internet; rather, they rely exclusively on original sources in their possession. This means they have more complete information available to them about those spanking issues than they would if they relied on someone else's scans. [For CSR, I use the original source if it's in my collection (Hellcat gets caned; Lois Lane spanks Linda Lee robot), then I go for a reprint (Li'l Abner), and finally I resort to a scan.] It also means they can insist on a quality source, in some cases having the original printed copy professionally restored or seeking out a better copy. This is particularly difficult with Golden Age books, which are relatively rare compared to postwar titles especially in the higher grades, and in many cases objectively scarce, with not too many copies in existence. Obviously, in addition to being lovers of spanking, they are also serious collectors of Golden Age comics

SP's insistence on using original materials exemplifies their overall concern for quality. While I have mentioned their elaborate and unique rating system, I think this is what really registers on me. They are willing to sacrifice quantity or "being first" in order to maintain high standards. For example, after I posted the Rusty Ryan spanking, which I thought was known only to me, I found out they had their own copy of Feature Comics #132, but had withheld publishing the spanking panel while they tried to upgrade it.

And that again reinforces the point with which I began this topic: as spankophiles, comic collectors, and just plain lovers of spankings in the comics, we are colleagues striving together toward a common goal, not rivals, and we should all stick together. I don't know whether I can find my reprint of The Saint #5 before the folks at SP post their (superior original) copy, and I don't care: we're both trying to bring the best in comic spankings to the public, and that's what really matters.

So please do yourself a favor and check out Spanking Panels if you have not already done so. They also have a forum in which I'm going to post myself once I'm finally talked out here! :)
-- Web-Ed
Ripley

Re: SpankingPanels.com

Post by Ripley »

Just found this topic, and I thought it was very nice of Web-Ed to say such nice things about SpankingPanels.com, of which I'm affiliated of course. You're absolutely right, it's no race for us to post everything first. It all takes time to get to. In regards to the recent Hit #27, I personally picked up a low grade, 2.5, last January, 2010. I don't know when it will be that comics turn to be photographed (too fragile for scanning). There's an art to scanning Golden Age books because the spines can be damaged further so easily. Some books are expensive to upgrade upon, so there's some that I make do with lower grade copies. However, I always have my eyes on the look out for upgrades and duplicates. One can't have too many spanking panels.

Anyway, I think very highly of the Chicago Spanking Review, excellent site, and excellent Database. Web-Ed's done so much research, I don't know how you have to to work or live. Keep up the great site.
Ripley

Post by Ripley »

typo correction ---> I don't know how you have time to work or live (with so much ongoing research). Time is also a strain on me and a few others too.
:shock:
web-ed
Site Admin

SpankingPanels.com Is Gone

Post by web-ed »

During the recent 10th Anniversary Celebration, I mentioned in Where Do We Go From Here? that we'd lost a number of spanking sites during the year. One I didn't mention then was SpankingPanels.com, which many of us here on the CSR Forum used to visit and even contribute to, and which I was technically moderating during the past 18 months. There hadn't been a lot of activity lately, probably because due to some technical issue many of us could not see the posted attachments but only linked images. That made it impossible to comment when someone else attached an image because we couldn't see it. Ripley was unable to find the cause and as I was Moderator but not Administrator I could not investigate further myself.

However, that problem was not what led to its disappearance. SpankingPanels was technically a forum like this one, which means that it had to have a parent site, in this case spiritworks-art.com. (The reason is that forums require numerous tables (little data bases) inside a data base, and basically, if you haven't got a website, you haven't got a data base that anyone can get to). The same thing was true of The Artastic Forum, whose parent was Underground-Animations.com, or this forum, whose parent is chicagospankingreview.org. It looks like spiritworks-art.com was not renewed, so all the files, directories, and data bases were scrubbed, meaning that SpankingPanels is gone for good unless someone preserved a complete backup of both the tables and the attached files. Sensing trouble, I used to wonder sometimes about trying to save SpankingPanels by making it a sub-forum over here, but it would have been a tough job - read my description of my attempts to save The Artastic Forum three years ago if you want to know what would have been involved technically.

I hadn't mentioned this before because I wanted to find out more about what happened, but alas I've come up empty. Perhaps The Spirit decided to retire from doing spanking art. I know very little more than what I'm disclosing here to CSR readers, and I promise I'm not withholding the full answer, which I truly don't know. Perhaps we'll hear from Ripley or The Spirit eventually and they can explain. As it is, all we can do is mourn the loss of yet another spanking site, and really the only one other than CSR that specialized in comic-book and strip spanking.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Web-ed: Thanks for giving us that info about SpankingPanels.com. It's good that someone we trust (i.e., you) has looked into the problems and come up with a reasonable, cogent answer.

I used to post messages to that site. Haven't for a while now, and your brief message just told me why. You see, I'm so dumb that it never occurred to me that the guy running that site is the same guy who used to post as The Spirit. I was attentive to his website for a while, and even offered a toon or two. But whenever I would see some original art by The Spirit, it was clear that his only interest in this hobby of ours is in F/F pics. That's right, girls spanking girls. That configuration is okay I guess, but only as a second feature. M/F pics are much more my "bag," as we used to say when I was young. :D

Early on, I asked The Spirit, flat out, why it is that all of his spanking toons were of females spanking females. I don't know what I expected him to say, but it sure wasn't THIS:

"Oh, are they? Well. I'll have to look into that."

Now I ask you. Wouldn't YOU know, if all your artwork was done in the same style? Maybe he felt embarrassed by my question, as if it had never occurred to him that anyone would ever notice his preoccupation with F/F. But to my knowledge, he never changed.

As you know, there are several guys in our "scene" who like F/F as much as they like M/F. I don't happen to be one of them, but that's okay, 'cause we all like M/F too. And didn't b00m hint at his tastes to us in one of his OTKatie toons when Clorene is threatening Katie with a spanking? And Katie nonchalantly replies: "I'm not worried. b00m never draws F/F!" Classy way of letting us know, b00m... if you happen to be reading this.

Maybe someone like Jung or Freud could explain to us just WHY the majority of us prefer to see males spanking females, but I don't have a clue. All I know is, I love M/F!

Anyway, Web-ed, thanks again for the information about SpankingPanels.com. You can bet that sooner or later, some of us would wonder about it.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

thanks for the update on spanking panels. it seems to me that over the last 10 years, many spanking sites i really liked have gone by the way side.............sigh. in some cases, the owners, who had gone into them with much enthusiasm, either got tired of them or got too old to run them, or had personal problems or physical problems or something but in other cases, the just petered out for reasons that remain a mystery. our longevity is one of the things that makes CSR so remarkable. i can't really think of another spanking site that has lasted this long without fading. thanks for your efforts to save spanking panels and also for keeping CSR fresh for us :D . phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

It's a shame SpankingPanels.com couldn't be saved. Like C.S.R., SpankingPanels.com gave the reader a nice high-resolution scan of the pages that featured pretty women being spanked, AND provided synopses of the stories that led up to the spankings.

I tried a couple of times to register for their forum, but something went wrong and I wss never able to access any of the attachments on any of the posts by forum members.

Regarding Dan's comments about the Spirit's preference for F/F spankings, I once read something he wrote saying that it was beause he liked drawing women, and he'd rather put one woman in the submissive position and another woman in the dominant position than to put a man into his picture. I suppose that's a valid explanation. However, for me, seeing a man in the picture (or drawing a man, if it happens to be one of my own pictures) gives me the opportunity of imagining myself in his place. That's the reason I prefer M/F in comics... or in movies... or in any other representation of a spanking.

I hope somebody saved some of the attachments that were postd on the forum that I never got to see.
Wolfie138

Post by Wolfie138 »

even Wayback doesn't seemt o help, some of the archives get to the Forum page but the authentication is stuffed :-/
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Spirit's F/F Preference

Post by web-ed »

daneldorado wrote: As you know, there are several guys in our "scene" who like F/F as much as they like M/F. I don't happen to be one of them, but that's okay, 'cause we all like M/F too. And didn't b00m hint at his tastes to us in one of his OTKatie toons when Clorene is threatening Katie with a spanking? And Katie nonchalantly replies: "I'm not worried. b00m never draws F/F!" Classy way of letting us know, b00m... if you happen to be reading this.

Maybe someone like Jung or Freud could explain to us just WHY the majority of us prefer to see males spanking females, but I don't have a clue. All I know is, I love M/F!
hugob00m wrote:Regarding Dan's comments about the Spirit's preference for F/F spankings, I once read something he wrote saying that it was because he liked drawing women, and he'd rather put one woman in the submissive position and another woman in the dominant position than to put a man into his picture. I suppose that's a valid explanation. However, for me, seeing a man in the picture (or drawing a man, if it happens to be one of my own pictures) gives me the opportunity of imagining myself in his place. That's the reason I prefer M/F in comics... or in movies... or in any other representation of a spanking.
The Spirit is an interesting guy, although I never enjoyed any private communication with him, just a colloquy or two over on SpankingPanels. Maybe b00m's explanation is correct, and he just liked drawing women, but he also had a great reverence for the classic M/F spanking scenes such as Spirit/Ellen and Combat Casey/Torchy Finnegan, because he took the time to go over them with photoshop, so it's hard to see why he would never draw M/F on his own.

It's an interesting coincidence that the subject of orientations (M/F etc.) is coming up here just as I'm getting rolling with my "Whys of Spanking" series, which will get into the subject in some depth. But the preeminence of M/F is easily explained by the fact that it can always suggest a heterosexual male dominant female submissive interaction, which means it can have erotic overtones for a greater portion of the general population than any other - and eroticism rules :!: F/F can be enjoyed not only by lesbians but by straight men and women (a few of the men imagining themselves in the submissive role, but the majority not). F/M is certainly less popular as female Tops and male Subs are relatively rare among the general population, and most of the rest don't care for it (although scenes like Aunt Bossy spanking the Ghostly Trio in Casper the Ghost do have a certain humor, they aren't erotic for most people). The appeal of M/M is the most limited of all: there are some non-gay men who are interested in it, but it's basically part of the gay subculture, which is welcome to it. It was, however, very common in comics as we'll see in a moment, probably because of a misplaced sense of humor as well as the ever-present threat of paternal discipline in the Golden Age.

My curiosity aroused by this question, I just queried Comics Spanking Data Base by orientation (one of the features I'm proud to say I built into it). Here are the results by orientation in order of decreasing frequency:

M/M - 256 (39%)
M/F - 252 (38%)
F/M - 090 (14%)
F/F - 065 (10%)

TOTAL - 663

Yes, M/M is so far the most common orientation among the 663 spankings I have recorded in the DB - :x As I said, there was a lot of paternal discipline as well as bad paddling humor in older comic books. And please don't remind me of the Superman Revenge Squad spanking the Junior Revenge Squad - one of my own discoveries that I wish were not.

There is some compensation in the fact that M/F is basically tied for first place :) .
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: SpankingPanels.com is Gone

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:it seems to me that over the last 10 years, many spanking sites i really liked have gone by the way side.............sigh. in some cases, the owners, who had gone into them with much enthusiasm, either got tired of them or got too old to run them, or had personal problems or physical problems or something but in other cases, the just petered out for reasons that remain a mystery. our longevity is one of the things that makes CSR so remarkable.
Yes, it's too bad, but that's what happens. In the case of SpankingPanels, it's a reasonable deduction that there was some kind of problem that made it impossible for the people behind it to continue. And thanks, Phil, for mentioning CSR's longevity as a favorable contrast - I'm not going anywhere any time soon unless a higher power decrees it :) .
hugob00m wrote:I tried a couple of times to register for their forum, but something went wrong and I was never able to access any of the attachments on any of the posts by forum members.
Yes, I remember that you were one of those affected, b00m. The strange thing was that even I was affected, and I was Global Moderator by the time that happened! Ripley never found the problem, which might have been a corrupted data base or perhaps a bug in the code that failed to recognize our permissions.
hugob00m wrote: I hope somebody saved some of the attachments that were posted on the forum that I never got to see.
I doubt that anyone did, although I'm sure I have some of the early ones by Dave Wolfe, our own Dan, and of course my own. The problem is I'm sure I don't have them in one place, so it will be a long time, if ever, before I try to assemble them. Some of the "spanking position" stuff I also posted as a special feature here in Comics Gallery 1, so those are certainly still around.
wolfie138 wrote:even Wayback doesn't seemt o help, some of the archives get to the Forum page but the authentication is stuffed :-/
Thanks for trying, Wolfie! :) For the benefit of everyone else, Wolfie is referring to the Wayback Machine site which stores old web pages. It's useful for digging out the truth when some politician takes an embarrassing admission down from his website :lol: , but it never occurred to me to use it for much else! The way it must work is to deploy a robot to request web pages and then archive them in a data base somewhere, probably depositing any images in a special folder (we don't generally put binary data like images into data bases, for reasons that don't concern us here).

Now this works just fine for static pages (pure HTML) like the CSR main site. It might even work fine with javascript, because the robot can record the script and your browser can execute it later (after you've requested the page from Wayback). But PHP script is a different matter, and that's what we use here on this Forum (and I'm sure on SpankingPanels as well). The robot can't get the PHP code because all it ever sees is the HTML returned by the site after the PHP executes on the server. It has a second problem in that it can't access the tables except the same way any user would, indirectly by requesting a page. (When you do anything on this Forum, you are accessing the tables, but only indirectly as the PHP script executes).

This means the robot could request any forum page by acting like a user, and that page could be stored. But in the case of SpankingPanels, guests were apparently quite limited, so the robot, not being a registered user, could only get to one page! This is the page you can still see on Wayback Machine, and it's amazing that even that much still worked. As for the attachments, they were no doubt stored with encrypted names in a file the robot didn't have access to, so they're not available on Wayback either. I did manage to extract one image from that single page as a memorial:

Farewell!
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED CSR!! Sad to see Spankingpanel.com go :( use to post there awhile back! anyway The Spirit did have some pretty good F\F spanking drawings! like the Lady Wrestler who spanked her rival in the Ring or two Tribal women settling their differnce via otk spanking in the Jungle! I belive he did draw some M\F spanking saw it in his book! Hope to see CSR Stay a Long time!!! THANKS!
sunflower309

Post by sunflower309 »

hugob00m wrote:Regarding Dan's comments about the Spirit's preference for F/F spankings, I once read something he wrote saying that it was beause he liked drawing women, and he'd rather put one woman in the submissive position and another woman in the dominant position than to put a man into his picture. I suppose that's a valid explanation. However, for me, seeing a man in the picture (or drawing a man, if it happens to be one of my own pictures) gives me the opportunity of imagining myself in his place. That's the reason I prefer M/F in comics... or in movies... or in any other representation of a spanking.
what b00m said! I imagine myself in the spankees position a lot of times. and I would not care to be spanked by another woman. only male spankers for me please!

sunflower