Threats and Missed Opportunities

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Threats and Missed Opportunities

Post by web-ed »

I'm going to try to reconstruct here a post that I made somewhere between 12/10 and 12/24 that was then lost on 12/24.

First, we have a positional situation in which Miss Rourke trips over a tree root, almost winding up over a young man's knee:
Could be a Freudian slip (of foot rather than tongue) - maybe Miss Rourke secretly longs to be taken OTK. I'd like to think so, anyway :) .

Then we have three panels from (what else?) Wonder Woman! The first is another Holliday girls sorority initiation, complete with paddles:
The blonde girl on the far right is holding a paddle which is hard to see because the image has been slightly truncated due to its large size. Since there is no actual paddling shown, this scene won't make it into the Data Base or the page on which I've been compiling the Holliday sorority paddlingss.

When an emergency arises, Etta Candy rounds up the Holliday college girls to respond:
"Come on girls! Bring your ropes and paddles!" At least they're properly equipped to meet any bondage and spanking emergency they may run into.

Apparently, even girls who graduated from Holliday college years before and are now successful career women are not exempt from the paddle:
"You should be paddled." Yes indeed, Etta, Lana should be paddled - and then you and the rest of your Holliday girls. Bend over! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Don't Ever Say "Flick"!

Post by web-ed »

I can't honestly call this a missed opportunity for a spanking, but I thought it might be good for a laugh. Now, there is an old rule in comics scripting, and that is that you never use the word "flick" or any of its variations. Why? Let's see:

The problem is that comic-book printing was never that reliable, and the danger with "flick" is that the "l" and the "i" will run together forming a "u" and with disastrous consequences! You can see why the variations such as "flicker" are absolutely no good either.
I guess the writer of this story, taken from Fantastic Comics #1, never heard of the rule. Even so, "Flick" is a pretty strange choice for a man's name. Luckily for him, the printing came out fairly clearly. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Ginger, Phantom Lady, and Fantastic Four

Post by web-ed »

Here are three more missed opportunities for some good spankings:

1. Ginger was another Archie-imitator- she's got red hair and a two-syllable name just like he does. In this scene from Ginger #8, her father blows his stack. If Ginger weren't out of reach, there's a strong implication that a spanking would ensue, for as Ginger says to a beat cop, "You have no idea how warm Daddy will make it if we go home!"

2. Phantom Lady is one of those super-heroines everyone always wanted to see spanked. That never happened, but she does take a pratfall here in Phantom Lady #16. In the following panel, a villainess comes up behind PL with a shovel, but unfortunately applies it to her head rather than her behind, so I guess that qualifies as a missed opportunity.

3. I think we might have seen a color version of this one before, but here is the original art from Fantastic Four #28 in which The Thing (Ben Grimm) threatens the X-Men's Marvel Girl (Jean Grey) with a spanking and very nearly gives it to her. This was certainly a missed opportunity for Marvel's number one spanking superhero to rack up his third spanking of a superheroine (the other two were his teammate Sue Storm in FF #38 and Moondragon in Marvel Two-In-One #62), although it would have been the first chronologically.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Green Mask, Wambi, Lois Lane, and Blackhawk

Post by web-ed »

Time for some more Missed Opportunities in which comic-book bad girls weren't spanked, but should have been!

1. The Green Mask was never a first-rank superhero - you really have to be "The Green Gladiator" or something other than "mask" - and we see another of his shortcomings here as he blows a perfect opportunity to administer some OTK discipline. If a bad girl shot at me, as one does here in Green Mask #4, I'd feel morally entitled to turn her over my knee before turning her over to the police :lol: !

2. Wambi the Jungle Boy was another in a long line of boring (to me) jungle types. He was a back-up feature to Kaanga for years in Jungle Comics, and here in issue #72 is faced with a wild Jungle Girl who really needed taming. She doses a local native Chief with some drug, then tries to stab Wambi with a knife. If he'd had the sense of his elephant Tawn, he'd have taken down her bikini and given her the spanking of her life! Actually, the last panel implies she's going to receive some form of punishment, but we don't get to see what it was. :(

3. Lois Lane is no stranger to these pages, having needed to be spanked by Superman on numerous occasions. This example comes from a silly "imaginary story" in Lois Lane #65: Lois marries Lex Luthor, who seems to have gone straight but is secretly the notorious Lexo. Here Superman and Lois both agree that she must pay for her crimes, but neither suggest the obvious (to us) answer of good old-fashioned corporal punishment! And Superman can't seem to figure out that as Lois is married to Lex Luthor and has teamed up with Lexo, Luthor and Lexo (good alias there, Lex!) must be one and the same! :lol:

4. Blackhawk is one character who would seem to be the ideal spanker: dashing aviator and leader of men (The Blackhawks) who often encountered bad girls. My researches have only uncovered one actual spanking, and even there I don't have any publication details. Here is one of many opportunities Blackhawk missed for administering some much-needed discipline, from Military Comics #29. It's quite likely that Bill Ward did some of this art, by the way:

Nice girls don't shoot tommy-guns at the Blackhawks, and after being disarmed this one is even shown lying face down (and fanny-up) on a bed, in a pose that should make any red-blooded male think of spanking! Why Blackhawk didn't rise to the occasion will forever be a mystery. :)
-- Web-Ed
daddy27_98

Post by daddy27_98 »

I think there was a missed opportunity in Teen-Age Love #57. In the story "Day of Heartbreak," a blonde vamp named Mimi tries to steal Gus from his girlfriend Andrea. A cat fight ensues that is rather one-sided as Andrea easily gets the best of the cute blonde vixen. First Andrea trips Gus who holds Mimi as if they have just been married, causing Mimi to ruin her hairdo and bikin When Mimi tries to hit Andrea, Andrea trips her, dunking Mimi again.

In the next pages, Mimi storms off to fix her hair and get a new bikini. (Why would a bathing suit shrink in the water? LOL). Gus and Andrea make up and he swears she is the only girl for him. But the blonde is not done. We hear someone in water calling for help as they are drowning. Valiant Gus jumps in to save the person. Little does he know Mimi set a trap. She grabs him and kisses him underwater. A helpful person tells Andrea the "drowning" person is really Mimi, who can swim like a fish. Andrea jumps in the water, yanks the blonde's hair causing her to sallow a bunch of water almost really drowning her. Andrea then "saves" the blonde by dragging her onto the beach and pumping water from her lungs.

Missed opportunity? Why couldn't Andrea have dragged the blonde to the beach and put her over her knee and given her a good spanking. It would have been totally realistic. LOL Andrea seemed to be able to easily handle Mimi. And Mimi was being completely submissive to Andre by the end. Mimi's arm dangles down when Andrea has her in a headlock, she is not struggling. And she just lays there when Andrea is sitting on top of her. The cat fight was good. A spanking would have been better.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.28 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (159.83 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (173.26 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
Last edited by daddy27_98 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daddy27_98 wrote:Missed opportunity? Why couldn't Andrea have dragged the blonde to the beach and put her over her knee and given her a good spanking. It would have been totally realistic. LOL Andrea seemed to be able to easily handle Mimi. And Mimi was being completely submissive to Andre by the end. Mimi's arm dangles down when Andrea has her in a headlock, she is not struggling. And she just lays there when Andrea is sitting on top of her. The cat fight was good. A spanking would have been better.
hi daddy27_98 and welcome to CSR. from your description i would say that you're right and there was indeed a missed opportunity here. i don't know if you have these pics in a bigger size but the way they opened on my computer i had trouble reading them. thanks for posting them anyway and i hope to see more comments from you as we go along. thanks, phil
daddy27_98

Post by daddy27_98 »

overbarrel49 wrote: hi daddy27_98 and welcome to CSR. from your description i would say that you're right and there was indeed a missed opportunity here. i don't know if you have these pics in a bigger size but the way they opened on my computer i had trouble reading them. thanks for posting them anyway and i hope to see more comments from you as we go along. thanks, phil
Hi overbarrel49. Thanks for the welcome. The original scans I made were better but they were too big to upload. I made them smaller but I degraded the images. I will try to make better images and upload them.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Welcome to the board, daddy27 - we're glad to have you! :) Thanks for posting what is truly a missed opportunity to give that scheming blonde minx the spanking she surely deserved. It's definitely a Charlton romance comic, but I don't think it's Teen-Age Love #57, which must have been in your mind because of the excellent spanking scene it contains in its lead story and which is available in our Comics Gallery 2 (you can reach it very quickly from the Comics Spanking Data Base by searching on "Teen-Age" as a Title). It may however be from roughly the same period (1968) and is almost certainly from the years 1966 - 1973. Seven spankings are already known from Charlton during that period, so why not one more? :) (It's easy to search by time period and/or publisher from the CSDB query page for anyone who's interested in trying). I have searched what must be hundreds of Charlton romances from 1956 - 1966 and found no spankings, my theory being that Comics Code Administrator Mrs. Trulock really came down hard on spankings during this time.

Now as to your trouble with the images, they do take a bit of doing. It's tricky: if the uploaded images are too large they will end up truncated or at least with horizontal sliders, which are a real pain. phpBB provides no guidelines, but from experience Phil has the uploading process down pat. As an alternative, you can also link images using an external source like Dan and I do. Dan uses Image Titan while I use a directory I created called "forum" on this site, which means it isn't truly "external" (the name isn't secret, but there's no way for anyone to upload to it except myself). So you could use an outside image host the way Dan does or send your images to me for upload, which would be no problem for me but would delay your post until I get around to uploading the images.

If you decide to link the image, I have found that 600 pixels in width will appear un-truncated in your post here. Even 700 px. might work, but 900 px. is a little too wide.
-- Web-Ed
daddy27_98

Post by daddy27_98 »

web-ed wrote:Welcome to the board, daddy27 - we're glad to have you! :) Thanks for posting what is truly a missed opportunity to give that scheming blonde minx the spanking she surely deserved. It's definitely a Charlton romance comic, but I don't think it's Teen-Age Love #57, which must have been in your mind because of the excellent spanking scene it contains in its lead story and which is available in our Comics Gallery 2 (you can reach it very quickly from the Comics Spanking Data Base by searching on "Teen-Age" as a Title). It may however be from roughly the same period (1968) and is almost certainly from the years 1966 - 1973. Seven spankings are already known from Charlton during that period, so why not one more? :)
Hi Web-Ed. You are right I was thinking of the great spanking from # 57. The missed opportunity I wrote about here is in Teen-Age Love # 56. The one right before the issue with the spanking on the beach. Maybe two consecutive issues with spanking would have been too much to ask for but given the time period and the comic, a spanking would not have been out of place.

Thanks the advice on the images. Let me see what I can do.
web-ed
Site Admin

Biggest Missed Opportunity in Wonder Woman

Post by web-ed »

Since we're in the middle of Super-Spanking Summer III, this would be a good time to present what had to be the biggest missed opportunity for spanking (in terms of quantity) in the entire history of Wonder Woman. These two scenes are from Sensation Comics #43 (July 1945). In the first, Etta Candy and her Beeta Lambda sorority are hazing their initiates by taking them blindfolded to a haunted mansion called "Ghost House":

Art by Harry Peter (with probable assistance). Copyright DC Comics Inc.

I came very close to adding this to the Beeta Lambda sorority paddling page and to the Comics Spanking Data Base, but it's not clear that any of those stupid-looking "barrel stave" paddles are being applied here even though paddling is explicitly mentioned. Blast Harry Peter and his ignorance of paddles and paddling! So I decided to put it down as another missed opportunity. Note that one of the girls says that she "doesn't mind spanking"!

But that wasn't all: one of the terrified initiates is kidnapped by some bad guys who (I think) are using Ghost House as a hideout. Wonder Woman saves the day as usual, but has some strict words for Etta:

Copyright DC Comics Inc.

Yes, you got that right: Wonder Woman says that the entire sorority deserves a spanking! Now if only she'd actually followed up on it. Can you picture Etta over WW's knee getting what she deserves with a dozen girls lined up behind her waiting their turn? As it is, we're left dreaming about the the mass-spanking (maybe even a mass-paddling) that could have been, right up there with the one from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The script for this wasted chance is credited by DC to Joye Murchison, who was William Marston's assistant, but Marston's hand is certainly evident - perhaps he plotted or co-plotted the stories Murchison scripted.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Yes, you got that right: Wonder Woman says that the entire sorority deserves a spanking! Now if only she'd actually followed up on it. Can you picture Etta over WW's knee getting what she deserves with a dozen girls lined up behind her waiting their turn? As it is, we're left dreaming about the the mass-spanking (maybe even a mass-paddling) that could have been, right up there with the one from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
...And it would've been even better if a male character in the story had overheard Wonder Woman's comment and decided to take matters into his own hands! Perhaps the dean that Etta mentioned, the one who let them off, instead of doing what needed to be done. Or maybe one of the cops who arrested the bad guys. (I'm just guessing that there must've been some cops called to arrest the bad guys, even though no cops or bad guys are shown in those particular panels.)
web-ed
Site Admin

More Fun With Bulletgirl

Post by web-ed »

Bulletgirl has appeared in this forum before - sorry I don't have the links handy, and we can only do two in a post anyway, but you can always search on the CSR Home Page with the Google search box. I always wanted to see her spanked, but I'm not sure we should attach any special significance to that, as I wanted to see just about every superheroine spanked. Still, there may have been something special about Bulletgirl: she never seemed very bright, and it made me want to see Bulletman spank some sense into her.

At this point, I have gone through all or nearly all of Bulletman's adventures, and it looks like Bulletgirl never got spanked. She did, however, get her bottom warmed by an unusual method, and will see that scene in a moment, as soon as we get through some preliminary groping.

From Master Comics #74.

I really think the intention here was innocent - sometimes even the most capable artists, under deadline pressure, don't see the implications of what they've drawn. I don't remember now whether the ghostly figure shown on the splash page was intended to be expressionistic or not - probably it was - but either way, it would've been better if the second finger of his right hand had not been curling around Bulletgirl's bosom.

Now let's take a look at Master Comics #40 (July 1943), where Bulletgirl, by sitting down in the wrong place at the wrong time, probably wasn't able to sit down anywhere else for a while.

Bulletgirl needs a rest, and unwisely decides to sit down in a chair whose presence there should have seemed suspicious. Bulletman shouts a warning, but too late.

The chair had wires running to it, which should have set off alarm bells. The electric current does in fact get Bulletgirl's notice: the panel shows electric sparks coming off the chair's back, but as the wires are connected to the chair's seat and not its back that makes no sense. It's not Bulletgirl's back but another part of her anatomy which has come into contact with the chair, and the current is obviously now surging through Bulletgirl's buttocks! :o

Bulletman wastes no time coming to the rescue (I'd have waited a bit longer myself), and freed from the chair, Bulletgirl rubs the affected area and admits, "I'm sizzling!" Unfortunately, a very small panel was used to convey this important action, so it's hard to see any details.

Bulletgirl gets her seat sizzled in Master Comics #40.

No, it's not a spanking, but it's kind of fun and I'd rate it a bit higher than, say, a simple pratfall. The man who dreamed up this "electric chair" was the story's villain, the Gag Man, who bears a suspicious resemblance to the Prankster, a Superman villain who had been introduced the year before.

Just for reference, here's the entire page. You can't click on images here in the forum to enlarge them, but you can right-click on them and save them to your computer where they can be displayed at their full size.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Moon Girl - Obvious Opportunity for Spanking

Post by web-ed »

Today (2/21/2014) I've posted Modern Love #3 in Comics Gallery 2. This was a difficult one to track down, because starting from mere suspicion I had to find an actual copy of this rare book and check it out (no digital scans available prior to this except of the cover). Of interest to comics historians is the fact that Modern Love was a pre-New Trend EC title, and one of only three Romance Comics they ever published. EC also had one superheroine, Moon Girl, and I'd like to focus a little attention on her now.

Moon Girl #5 (Fall 1948) Copyright William M. Gaines

Moon Girl was obviously modeled after DC's Wonder Woman, but she never really took off, and with superheroes generally in decline, her book was soon changed into A Moon, A Girl, Romance... (the new title being chosen to convince Postal authorities that it was really the same book as before, which it wasn't in terms of content, so that EC could continue to use their 2nd-class mailing permit - for young people who don't remember 2nd class, you couldn't just go to the P.O. and send something 2nd class, you had to have a permit to do so). Interestingly, this title did have a spanking scene in A Moon, A Girl, Romance #9 and so we have to wonder if there could be a third and final EC spanking somewhere in the three issues of Saddle Romances.

But confining our attention to Moon Girl for a moment, what an obvious superheroine for a shorts-down spanking! Maybe we can commission one some day. In the mean time, we'll have to pretend that the villianesses on the cover of Moon Girl #5 (Fall 1948) are warming her fanny with that ray gun. :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

interesting speculation :D . i hope you find out for sure one of these days and that you turn out to be right. also, thanks for the trip down memory lane concerning the second class postal rate...............geez i feel old :lol: . thanks, phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Spanking in Romantic Adventures #16

Post by web-ed »

There was a spanking in Romantic Adventures #16, but it wasn't pictured, nor did it take place off-panel. How is that possible? It was part of a text filler! Let's take a look at it now:

It's a fairly standard spanking-plot: spoiled rich girl runs into boy she can't intimidate (often employed by her father), and gets spanked! As usual, she's very pleased with him afterward. Of course we all wish this particular plot had been used for one of the stories with art, but you can't have everything. In one respect we were lucky: had the title not been "Papa Spank!" I would probably have never known there was a spanking in it. (I do look at the text pages, by the way, but in the two seconds I allow for each page I can only read 10 words).

O.K., so why were text fillers like this found in comic books of the time? As I mentioned regarding Moon Girl in an earlier post, comics publishers had to obtain and keep 2nd-class mailing permits for their titles, because comics were sold by subscription as well as on the newsstand (I had a few subscriptions myself through most of the '70's). You couldn't just declare you wanted to mail your comics 2nd class, your permit had to be approved by the Post Office. Since 2nd-class had been developed for magazines, comics publishers had to convince the P.O. that their comics were magazines. The P.O. decided that if a comic had at least two pages of text, it could qualify as a magazine. Consequently, comics of that period have two pages of what is in effect text filler.

Another obscure comics fact brought to you courtesy of CSR :lol: !
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

as you mentioned, this is a fairly standard spanking plot.....................but a good one none the less :D . who among us doesn't like to see the snotty rich girl get spanked 8-) . i also loved your "obscure comics fact" :D . i had no idea this was the case so i have once again been web-ed-ucated ;) . thanks, phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Missed Opportunities in Romance Comics

Post by web-ed »

Let's see five more examples of missed opportunities for spankings, mostly from Romance Comics in honor of 2016's Romantic Spanking Month.

1. Implied spanking threat from Alley Oop (thanks to Michael to sending this in a while back along with an actual spanking from the strip).
Date unknown. Of course, spanking isn't mentioned explicitly, but it sure seems to be on Oop's mind, and Ooola is pretty quick to comply with his command!

2. Crazy melee scene from Big Shot #81 (Sept. 1947) - Skyman story, art by Ogden Whitney: If you look at this one panel out of context, it almost appears that the girl in the yellow dress (Fawn) has just either been given one hell of a paddle-swat by the guy in the green jacket, or else that the yellow-skinned guy is trying to spank her with the wrong hand:

Things become a little clearer (not much) if you look at the entire page:
Actually, Fawn and the others are prisoners and the yellow-skinned guy is a guard whom the guy in the green jacket has just hit over the head with a club (not a paddle).

3. Campus Romances #1 (1953, reprint). This is a convoluted story, but Martha certainly seems to be causing trouble enough that Phil says, "I don't think she ought to get away with it". Unfortunately, he doesn't do anything to correct her bad behavior:

On the next page, things look more promising - Phil gets very determined, knocks down some guy who gets in his way, and puts Martha over his shoulder! He should have given her a few whacks right there when her fanny was sticking out, and then put her over his knee properly when they got home:

4. O.K., when a story's title explicitly names one of its female characters a brat, I think we have the right to expect to see her get spanked :lol: ! Alas, that didn't happen in Radiant Love #4 (April 1954), art by Eugene Hughes.
Radiant Love indeed - what was needed was some radiant heat from this brat's backside, and from Arlene's too!

5. Lastly, we have an explicit spanking threat from Ten Story Love vol. 34 #196 (July 1954).
Our guy here steals a kiss from the girl, who likes it but sprays him with a garden hose! "I ought to spank you" he says, but doesn't :x .
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I just recently discovered a comic-book heroine called "Empowered", by an artist I never heard of before: Adam Warren. Apparently, while he was doing some commission work involving superheroine bondage, he started thinking about a character of his own, with a built-in explanation of how a super-powerful woman could wind up partially dressed and tied up by the villain. Her costume makes her invulnerable to bullets and explosions... up to a point. Uhhh... I guess it can only take a certain number of hits until it begins to shred, leaving her powerless... (I haven't been able to read a whole story, just single pages here and there.)

Also, she's kind of a klutz and she has self-image issues... (She thinks her butt is too big!)

If I had created a superheroine like that, I'd come up with all kinds of excuses for her to get spanked... but, unfortunately, this seems to be the closest Mr. Warren has come...
empowered 1.jpg
empowered 1.jpg (220.96 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
empowered 2.jpg
empowered 2.jpg (222.94 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Now tell me... who wouldn't want to turn this super-chickie over his knee?
empowered 3.jpg
empowered 3.jpg (74.64 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Interesting find here, B00m (especially appropriate for Super-Spanking Summer :) ) - I'll have to look further into it when I can. Not sure when that will be. I'd have to say all that spear-to-the-behind contact qualifies as one or more spankings (I think it was pretty funny how he kept finding "good reasons" to swat her), so it will have to go into the Data Base when I have more of the particulars.
-- Web-Ed