Threats and Missed Opportunities

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Re: Threats and Missed Opportunities

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

The President of Turkey spanking overweight women :twisted: wonder how that would play out today :lol: I could see some modeling company or movie studio trying something like that ! but I think they too would fear all from all the back lash from women groups and lawsuits :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice find 8-) Papa spank isn`t that what Batman said to Cat woman once :twisted: not to sound :twisted: but I wish Lois instead of being a baby went back to her teenage years meaning plenty of spanking from Superman :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Sweetspot wrote:Web-ed
Is this the Superman threatens Lois Lane comic book scene you're referring to? Yes that's Lois Lane being bottle-fed in Superman's arms. Going against his clearly expressed orders she has tampered with the professor's youth reenergizing machine and ended up being transformed, outwardly anyway, back into an infant.
SupermanThreatensLoisLane.jpg
I've written an ongoing rant about the catchphrase Papa Spank if you haven't read it yet and it sounds like something you might be interested in check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=621
No, the only threat I was referring to was the one in the strip: "As a matter of fact, I ought to spank you!" Now, Mort Weisinger did make some mention of a story like this one (see The Superman Spanking Letters - I can't focus my eyes any more to find the link).

I did read your "Papa Spanks!" posts and recommend them to any CSR Readers who may see this.

Gotta close my eyes for a while now.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Missed Opportunities - Kerry Drake

Post by web-ed »

Well, our very odd "Kerry Drake" mini-series - odd because two different strips had been mis-identified as Kerry Drake - ended last week, and because I was once again under the gun I couldn't post this timely spanking mention that actually came from the strip, but here we go:

From the Kerry Drake strip, Nov. 3, 1947. Art by Alfred Andriola. © Publishers Syndicate. Scan by Phil Sweetspot.

So there are two possible reasons for spanking Julep: first, she seems to be disobedient and willful (that's a surmise on my part), and second, it's going to be her birthday.

We still hope to find some other spankings in Kerry Drake eventually.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Julep's brother doesn't spank her because he says she can keep D.D.T. in line. However said D.D.T. is about to get rid of Muskie just because he wants to leave the gang. Since Julep is doing such a lousy job of keeping D.D.T. in line I say go ahead and spank the young lady 8-) .

Here's the only other spanking threat I've found from the actual Kerry Drake comic strip.
KerryDrakeDec18,1958.jpg
KerryDrakeDec18,1958.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
In December 1958 Mindy and Kerry are newlyweds. Eventually [1967] Mindy gives birth to quadruplets! Here Mindy is suppose to stay indoors because there's a prowler [stalker] in the area who seems to have a special interest in her. Even though she's sure Kerry will spank her she heads outside anyway. It should go without saying that if I had a spanking panel it would be posted.
KerryDrakeDec18,1958#2.jpg
KerryDrakeDec18,1958#2.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Whoever handled formatting the funny page at the Alton, IL daily sometimes got sloppy. The Drake and Cobb strips were switched and mislabeled more than once. I found a switch in early January 1971 and after that every once in awhile. I Only recently found our Jeff Cobb spanking panels correctly labeled in a Hamilton, OH newspaper.

Although I realize that Superman has a lot of super-hero resources available to use during a "rescue" mission I found it almost painful to see him stop a plunging Lois Lane by grabbing one of her upper-arms. How'd he not pop that arm right out of its socket :?: I consider the robot spanking of Lois Lane actually a Superman spanks Lois spanking. The robot is merely a convertible that Sup' uses for the spanking. A robot converted to use as a spanking implement the same way a hairbrush is converted from hair brushing to it's preferred use of spanking a naughty woman.
Last edited by Sweetspot on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Kerry Drake Threat

Post by web-ed »

This Kerry Drake spanking mention is much more interesting than the earlier one, Phil - look at the expression on Mindy's face! The little minx - she really looks like she wants Kerry to spank her! :lol:

About the Superman/Lois spanking - I think you're right, and the robot is merely an instrument (or implement) since after all Superman is guiding it remotely (and why didn't Lois suspect that was the case? How likely is it that the robot would have "accidentally" spanked her on its own?). But it's still frustrating as we lose the dynamic of an out-in-the-open spanking such as we saw very recently again with Olivia Hill. Lois needed to get several more spankings openly from the Man of Steel, back in the prime days of her comic book (say 1958-70, the end of the Silver Age).

I do have three spankings of Lois by either Superman or Clark which will be presented during the next month, one of which is already known to CSR readers since it's by Hugob00m. The other two I hope will come as a pleasant surprise to most, as there's something about seeing Lois getting spanked that just feels so right :lol: !
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Etta Kett Threat

Post by web-ed »

Since we're currently doing a five-part series on Etta Kett over on the main site (Part 2 is this week), let's take a look here at the only spanking threat in the strip Phil Sweetspot has located thus far:

Etta Kett, July 24, 1935. Scan by Sweetspot. © King Features Syndicate.

Terry mistakenly clonks Etta on the head with a club - with only a slight modification, he could have given her swats with a paddle :lol: ! And she's wearing shorts, too.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

The only post 1930' spanking mention I know of in Etta Kett.
EttaKettAugust1,1945.png
EttaKettAugust1,1945.png (42.37 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
There are at least five OTK M/F spankings to be found in the comic strip Etta Kett in the 1930s :D. So why would all the spanking action come to a sudden stop after Paul Robinson had previously been using spanking gags year after year :?: I'm guessing that for one, the joke of Etta getting her comeuppance with a spanking wore thin for Robinson as the decade of the '30s started to wear down. He unfortunately seemed to have a problem coming up with an original gag that would involve spanking Etta and anyway one M/F spanking per year in a strip not named Oaky Doaks is really quite unusual. So the idea of him letting it go for a few years does seem a possibility. But two I think that if Robinson intended to renew Etta's spanking down the line in his strip that notion was spoiled by World War II.
So Etta joins the war effort with mixed results. She does complain, early after the U.S. enters the war, about how ten of her boyfriends have been drafted but she does her patriotic part and pitches in at one of her dad's factories [The Kett family's wealth varies wildly over the years]. She also did her part in the war by entertaining the troops...lots and lots of troops :lol: I would imagine that after maturing his leading lady this way Robinson found it more difficult to have her spanked like a high-schooler even though in the later years of the strip Etta did indeed find herself back in high-school.
etta-kett-war-effort1-berkeley-daily-gazette-nov-25-1942.jpg
etta-kett-war-effort1-berkeley-daily-gazette-nov-25-1942.jpg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

And three the strip makes a dramatic change moving from the forties into the 1950's. Etta is no longer to be found in a range of jobs from airline stewardess to movie stand-in or in a long series of broken engagements to be married. Instead she settles down...down and down even further all the way back to high school. In a future post I'll show you how she starts out as a young woman who must be in her mid-twenties but ends up 48 years later as a typical and stereotypical comic teen. One would think that Etta the high school senior would be a good candidate for spanking but as in most of the other pretty-girl teen strips of the second-half of the 20th century that fate is only ever vaguely implied.

Below is the last Etta Kett I could find and it offers the usual family oriented innocent gag. As of November 2, 1974 the strip abruptly ends in every newspaper I have available through my archive [Paul Robinson had died on September 21, 1974. at the age of 78]. The strip is listed, according to some resources, as ending on November 24th but I can't prove it.
EttaKettNovember2,1974.jpg
EttaKettNovember2,1974.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
Last edited by Sweetspot on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

I notice in the first example, Phil, that Etta says "Don't tell Dad!" which makes me think she might have feared Spanking #6 if he knew the chance she had taken. And she doesn't deny that she deserves it!

Now on to the important question I am going to have to raise myself when we reach Spanking #5 and that you just asked now - why, if there were five spankings in Etta Kett from 1933 to 1936, were there no others during the next 38 years of the strip's run? For the most part, I agree with this conclusion of yours:

"One would think that Etta the high school senior would be a good candidate for spanking but as in most of the other pretty-girl teen strips of the second-half of the 20th century that fate is only ever vaguely implied."

But I still wonder about the era in which Etta returned to high school. The 1950's was a prime period for more spankings, especially early in the decade, and we saw Veronica Lodge spanked as late as the 1970's! Is it possible that Etta got spanked without any of the key words you were searching for being used? And for that matter, even in the 40's when Etta entered the workforce she might have been spanked by someone - her dad, a boss, a boyfriend. I would have to say it's still possible that there is an undiscovered spanking of Etta out there someplace... :)
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

That's exactly why I prefaced my conclusions by writing "...at least five OTK M/F spankings' ". Forty eight years of a strip means there are thousands and thousands of Etta Kett dailies and Sunday comics to look through and although my search from the mid- twenties to the late forties has been pretty exhaustive I still have plenty of panels yet to look at. Which I will most likely get to some day but for now I'm still having to much fun following hunches and leads and looking for additional information on strips already in the data base. I think that even into the 1970s Mr. Kett seems to be of a mind to spank Etta when he feels she has earned a trip across his knees. But as I said the references are more vague than to have him come right out and say, "You're not to old to take over my knee young lady!"
EttaKettJuly1,1970#1.jpg
EttaKettJuly1,1970#1.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
EttaKettJuly1,1970#2.jpg
EttaKettJuly1,1970#2.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
As a spanko "the message" to me is pretty clear, if Etta doesn't come home before her curfew time she's going to get the same treatment that Susie Q. Smith got from her father when she missed her deadline two dates in a row - you know, pain stars, tears, a big BAW!! coming out of her mouth. Note to Etta - Be aware of the possibility that Wingey might just be bringing you home late on purpose. I bet he would be pretty excited to hear all the details about how your dad spanked you for missing curfew - just saying ;)
web-ed
Site Admin

The Better Half

Post by web-ed »

Here's another missed opportunity - in the sense that the spanking occurred off-panel - that Phil S. :ugeek: discovered in The Better Half:

The Better Half, May 16, 1962. Scan by Sweetspot touched up by the Web-Ed. © The Register and Tribune Syndicate

It reminds us of the Reamer Keller cartoon we presented last year:

Cartoons like these reminded young wives that "going home to mother" was not always an option. We may hope their husbands later reinforced Momma's teachings with some firm spankings of their own - the surest way to a happy marriage! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Here's an interesting variation on the topic at hand of what happens when a grown up daughter leaves her husband and runs home to mother (taken from the 12/19/1963 column of advice-giver Edan Wright).
EdanWrightDecember19,1963.jpg
EdanWrightDecember19,1963.jpg (58.08 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
So in this case it's mom who gets the spanking :lol: Note also that Edan Wright commends the husband for using "old-fashioned common sense" in handling the situation - Edan was no Ann Landers :D
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Before we get to far removed from the Jeff Cobb strip let me offer a rather pedestrian threat and a mere mention that took place.
JeffCobbFeb28,1963.jpg
JeffCobbFeb28,1963.jpg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
JeffcobbMarch1#2,1963.jpg
JeffcobbMarch1#2,1963.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
Attachments
JeffCobbApril7,1965.jpg
JeffCobbApril7,1965.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Nice Find Sweetspot 8-) The man should have made his Son in Law Spank his daughter for her bad behavior in front of him and his wife :twisted: also love the comic strip where the woman have rush back to the Hospital for fear of getting a spanking from her Supervisor :twisted: wonder was it male or Female :?: :lol: I think it Male :lol: :lol: :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

I liked all of these, Phil! Grandpa looked pretty serious about his spanking threat, and "supervisor spank" as he should any tardy nurse! The advice columnist was right on, also.

When I get around to our series on newspaper spankings, I believe I have some mentions of spanking by Ann Landers or Dear Abby to go along with the pile of material you discovered. Maybe we'll do them after we finish up the current Comic Strip Series - and I haven't even calculated when that will be yet! :?
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Sweetspot.
Sweetspot wrote:Here's an interesting variation on the topic at hand of what happens when a grown up daughter leaves her husband and runs home to mother (taken from the 12/19/1963 column of advice-giver Edan Wright).
EdanWrightDecember19,1963.jpg
So in this case it's mom who gets the spanking :lol: Note also that Edan Wright commends the husband for using "old-fashioned common sense" in handling the situation - Edan was no Ann Landers :D
Hmmmm! That is an interesting column! No Ann Landers indeed! Landers and her sister Abby used to disparage husbands who spanked their wives, making little or no distinction between a well-deserved disciplinary session and domestic violence!

This mother deserved to be punished for coddling her daughter... but we aren't told if the daughter ever got spanked too. Perhaps her husband picked up a cue from his father-in-law and spanked his young wife as soon as she got back home!
web-ed
Site Admin

Missed Opportunity from Flash Gordon

Post by web-ed »

Flash Gordon is the kind of adventure strip that you can easily picture having a spanking in it - and it did, although Flash wasn't the spanker (see Flash Gordon Spanking #1). No others are known at the present time, but we can't say there aren't any more. If it does have another spanking scene, it would probably run a lot like this threat from September 1, 1942:

Discovered and scanned by Sweetspot. © King Features Syndicate

Familiar setup: a queen misbehaves herself, and right in front of the strong action hero. Could the correct course of action be any more clear? It's spanking time! :lol: Flash even says so - yet holds back here for some reason, leaving readers then and now bitterly disappointed.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Threats from Scorchy Smith

Post by web-ed »

Since we're doing the only known spanking from Scorchy Smith this week on the main site, it makes sense to present this threat from the strip at the same time. This was also discovered by Chief of Strip Research Phil Sweetspot :ugeek: .

Scorchy Smith, October 13, 1936. Scan by Phil S. © AP Syndicate

"You're stalling - c'mon, let's have it, or I'll spank you!"

It's a nice, direct threat which unfortunately was not carried out. The artist here is Noel Sickles, who drew no actual spankings as far as we know. It would be front-page news if he had (and of course something may still turn up), for he was the great influence on some of his contemporaries, most notably Milton Caniff.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

I've added a different archive to my inventory of sources and I've already gathered a fair amount of interesting, if not, Grade-A material. Let me start by sharing an improved look at the Scorchy Smith threat.
ScorchySmithOctober13,1936Detail.jpg
ScorchySmithOctober13,1936Detail.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
For some reason I missed the addition of the Flash Gordon threat that Web-Ed placed above. Here's a very similar threat to the same backside given only a few weeks earlier.
FlashGordanAugust12,1942.jpg
FlashGordanAugust12,1942.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
FlashGordonAugust12,1942Detail.jpg
FlashGordonAugust12,1942Detail.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Here's an interesting missed opportunity that I'm anxious to share. Candy is probably better known to us at CSR as a several times spanked comic book character but she also starred in her own newspaper strip. I offer this with minimal comment because I'm more interested in hearing what others have to say about it than I am offering my own remarks. :D
CandyMay19,1948.jpg
CandyMay19,1948.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Candy

Post by web-ed »

This is a great spanking discussion taking place between two female characters, Phil! Of course teen-age girls would talk about being spanked by their boyfriends, or other girls getting spanked, but her we see Ella Mae actually acting out the spanking. And best of all is Candy's reaction - obviously she would like a masterful boyfriend to spank her, too :lol: !

I'm not sure who the artist is here - Harry Sahle started the newspaper strip, no surprise since he did the comic book, but this isn't his style and the the signature here looks like "Lorr," which corresponds to no comics artist I can think of. Perhaps Elmer Groggin was still writing the strip and deserves the credit for the spanking emphasis. :?:

I have completed my search of Candy's own title and can state categorically there are no further spankings in it. However, it's possible although unlikely that she got spanked in some other comic. I don't think there are too many Quality issues from that period that I've missed, but it's possible there are still a few from Police Comics (which strangely enough is where Candy first appeared). The comic strip appears to have begun in 1944, but I don't know when it ended. It would certainly be interesting if there's a spanking (preferably of Candy) in there someplace. :D
-- Web-Ed