Threats and Missed Opportunities

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Oaky Doaks: Queen's Behind in Jeopardy

Post by web-ed »

This month we're presenting "The Oaky Doaks Spanking Storyline," a very long series (21 days' worth of strips) that revolved around spanking, and during its course not one but two different queens got spanked! So this would be the time to present a third queen in Oaky Doaks, not getting spanked, alas, but whom we'll shortly see gets a sore behind anyway :D .

I found this reprinted in the November, 1946 issue of Famous Funnies during my ongoing Golden Age comics search and later identified it as having been reprinted from the Oaky Doaks strip of Sunday May 30, 1943. The story is pretty self-explanatory; Oaky throws a rock through Queen Nicotina's window and, unlikely as it sounds, manages to hit her in the butt with it:

No, it's not as good as a spanking, but it's always fun to see a pretty young queen with pain stars (it's really only one star here) that show she's still feeling the effects some minutes later! :)
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Re: Threats and Missed Opportunities

Post by Sweetspot »

Web-Ed -
Be it a snowball, loose floor slat, side of a shoe whatever brings stars - I'm all in!

When it came to spanking it seems, a not-under-a-spell Oaky Doaks had mixed feelings.
OakydoaksMarch14,1956.png
OakydoaksMarch14,1956.png (43.37 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
OakyDoaksSeptember24,1960.png
OakyDoaksSeptember24,1960.png (39.26 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
OakyDoaksSeptember26,1960.png
OakyDoaksSeptember26,1960.png (53.21 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Oaky's Ambivalence

Post by web-ed »

It's really funny to see Oaky so reluctant to spank Princess Pomona, considering how many other women he spanked over the years. Of course, we only have one scene where he's not drugged and still gives the spanking, but he does sort of threaten Pomona in that other scene you discovered - one we're going to share on CSR in May since it clears up the mystery of another spanking panel I posted back in 2010.

I've been very busy coding the Oaky strips through next week's update plus other stuff, but I'm going to have to find a few minutes to consider the question of exactly what writer Bill McCleery's attitude was toward spanking even though our current series seems to leave little doubt. (So far I have found no evidence that anyone else ever took over the writing, but I still have another source to check).

Interesting strips, Phil - thanks!
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

A rock thrown through a window certainly isn't as good as a spanking but, like you, I do like the pic of her with the pain stars around her bottom :D . It appears that the strips posted by Phil S. are from 2 different time periods and even if there isn't any actual spanking, spanking is mentioned in all 3. That, along with all the other spankings, sure makes me think that the writer is a spanko and I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on this subject next week. Of course, I guess it could be that he just understands that other folks like to see a naughty girl getting a spanking but my money's still on him being a spanko ;) . Thanks, Phil O.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

As the recently named C.S.R. [Chief of Strip Research] of CSR I thought I'd better start living up to that lofty title so I did some looking about for birthday spanking mentions in the newspapers which I'll wait to share until Web-Ed has finished up his Special Series :P (to avoid duplication). I've also given the strip of the month more attention, yes I've clipped a few more Oaky Doaks.
It seems that a female's rear end is never fully safe from being smacked in this fantasy strip. Although I would never endorse striking another person with a whip, I don't cringe at the idea of a pretty girl getting a light taste across her bottom.
OakyDoaksMay13,1940.png
OakyDoaksMay13,1940.png (72.7 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
In this Sunday strip from 1946 a well intentioned Sir Oaky is rudely introduced to a couple with an ah...shall we say alternate medieval life-style.
OakyDoaksJune23,1946.png
OakyDoaksJune23,1946.png (203.37 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Phil S.
Chief of Strip Research
Last edited by Sweetspot on Fri May 26, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Maybe Oaky should have shown him a very fun way to hit a woman spanking :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Two Oaky Examples

Post by web-ed »

Two more interesting fruits of your research, Phil. Like Butch, I think a spanking-good opportunity was missed in the second one where the woman slaps Oaky after he was only trying to help her. Also, this is the kinkiest scene we've looked at so far - the female wanting to be slapped (or better, spanked) does cross a psychological line, and as you know we'll see hints in the Oaky Spanking Storyline that three of his spankees appreciated the OTK treatment. I believe this to be highly significant, and we'll return to the subject as the storyline concludes.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Spanking Threat in Ayer Lane

Post by web-ed »

CSR Chief of Strip Research Phil Sweetspot has not only found a lot of new spankings, he also came across many a new spanking threat! I think Phil is lukewarm about these, and I admit to a certainly ambivalence as well - it's always going to be frustrating to see someone throw away a golden opportunity to turn a comic strip lass over his knee, but it can be interesting and the threats are more fun :lol: . We'll be seeing quite a few of these in the future, where possible during the same week we feature an actual spanking from the same strip.

This week that's not possible, so let's take a look at the obscure strip Ayer Lane. There's some cute dialogue here as we will see:

Ayer Lane from 12/28/1946. Scan by Sweetspot modified by Web-Ed.

Ayer threatens (actually he promises, which makes it more interesting) Debby with a spanking, and she replies "It's worth it!" You have to wonder if periodic spankings are part of their lives together...

Actually, if I found myself in a life-or-death situation with almost any woman, I'd probably say the same thing Ayer does here :D ! What do you have to lose when there's a fair chance you're not even going to live through the typhoon, or the earthquake, or the episode of Ally McBeal, or whatever the disaster is anyway? And if you do survive, she'll probably be so grateful she won't even protest that trip over your knee...

There are no known actual spankings from Ayer Lane, alas. :( Had Ayer followed through, the strip might have been more popular. :lol:
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Brick Bradford Threatens Beautiful Brat

Post by web-ed »

What can I say about Brick Bradford? The strip was around for 54 years(!) yet I believe it's almost forgotten today. It was basically a sci-fi/adventure strip with Brick sometimes traveling to the future, which was a novelty at the time it debuted. The cover below, from a collection of reprinted strips, perhaps suggests the nature of the series:

No spankings are known to have occurred in the strip, but Phil Sweetspot found this very explicit threat from 04/14/1941:

Brick Bradford, April 14, 1941. Scan by Sweetspot; modified by Web-Ed.

"Stop grinning or I'll let go these controls and give your the spanking you deserve!"

Now it's just possible that ol' Brick's brawn was more effective than his brain - it's a futuristic space ship that has to be piloted with manual controls? For Heaven's sake, Brick, throw on the auto pilot and throw that brat over your knee :lol: ! And I think we have to deduct a few points for the creative team's (William Ritt, Clarence Gray) failure to find any double-entendre in their title, "On the Throne of Titania" (what I could have done with that one :lol: !). The suggestive possibilities are endless.

But at least Brick comes right out and says that June deserves a spanking. :)
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Bloke I worked with in the 1960s who was probably born in the 1920s used to talk about someone being "in more trouble than Brick Bradford."

I never knew who Bradford was.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Notice June is standing wonder does that Space ship only have one seat :?: :lol: :lol: like to know what other Naughty Things bratty June have done to deserve a SPANKING :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice Strip even though no spanking :(
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:Bloke I worked with in the 1960s who was probably born in the 1920s used to talk about someone being "in more trouble than Brick Bradford."

I never knew who Bradford was.
That's interesting, Willjohn. I'm wondering how thorough this strip's distribution was. It seems to me that there was another distributor involved before King Features - a smaller one that dealt with smaller newspapers. Perhaps Brick Bradford never made it to Australia's major newspapers.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

After reading this I have only one comment, "GRRRRRRRR"! :x . What's the matter with these people :lol: . Thanks, Phil
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

The current series on the main-site is all about spanking scenes illustrated by the very accomplished Don Flowers. In addition to the three spanking panels being offered from Diana Dane/Oh! Diana there was also an off-panel spanking that was published in October of 1938. The Danes - Diana and her dad Elmer - plus their loafer friend Dooley were in the habit of vacationing out in the wilderness. On one occasion they brought home a bear cub. In the summer of 1938 they brought home the Beavers - Mr. Beaver and his daughter Beulah Beaver who would eventually be so homesick that they returned to the woods in spite of Diana's best attempts at civilizing them. While living with the Danes Beulah innocently entered into competition for the affection of several of the young men that Diana had her eye on. This made Diana particularly anxious for Beulah to settle down to her studies and stop dating. Though evidently ultimately successful in spanking Beulah that success came at a physical cost to Mr. Beaver. Don Flowers didn't hesitate to show an OTK spanking in his strips but in this case the gag is in the outcome not in the spanking itself so we only get to see a partial result of what happened.
"Poor Beulah's getting a spanking" Diana tells her father
Oh,DianaOctober25,1938.png
Oh,DianaOctober25,1938.png (31.12 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
"Beulah seems a bit subdued since her spankin'" says Elmer Dane.
Oh,DianaOctober26,1938.png
Oh,DianaOctober26,1938.png (33.92 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
Last edited by Sweetspot on Sat May 27, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Diana Dane

Post by web-ed »

Phil - thanks for posting these. We're obviously on the same wavelength because I was going to post them here next week anyway. (This week was going to be Bringing Up Father, but I didn't get to it yet).
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

From memory "Bringing up Father" was a naff strip about a henpecked businessman and his social climbing wife.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Bringing Up Father

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:From memory "Bringing up Father" was a naff strip about a henpecked businessman and his social climbing wife.
Indeed it was, Willjohn, at least pretty much - the man's name was Jiggs, who after winning the Irish Sweepstakes still wants to hang around with his old friends, but his social-climbing wife Maggie has some other ideas.

Let's take a look at them now from 1944 and see what they're up to:

March 1, 1944. Scan by Sweetspot. ©King Features Syndicate

Jiggs is certainly henpecked here, but he doesn't threaten the melodramatic Maggie with a spanking as he probably should have. Phil S. has searched through a number of episodes and so far found no spankings, but he did turn up the scan above and one other that may be of some interest.

Now let's see an actual spanking threat, not from Jiggs but from Maggie's older sister! :D This one took place earlier, in 1935:

January 18, 1935. Scan by Sweetspot. ©King Features Syndicate

So Jiggs gets a little relief courtesy of his sister-in-law.

Bringing Up Father was a very early strip, dating back to 1913, and continued under creator George McManus until he died in 1954, after which time it somehow managed to carry on under other hands until 2000. It was never one of my favorites, but it was certainly an American original.
Since the strip was around for 87 years, it's always possible there was a spanking somewhere, but so far Phil hasn't found one.
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Jiggs & Maggie had a daughter who was astonishingly pretty considering her parents did not have a look between them.

I don't remember her ever being spanked. Jiggs was usually on the end of violence from the bad tempered Maggie.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:Jiggs & Maggie had a daughter who was astonishingly pretty considering her parents did not have a look between them.

I don't remember her ever being spanked. Jiggs was usually on the end of violence from the bad tempered Maggie.
Yes - somebody did a parody many years ago in which Jiggs really got beaten up, but I can't remember now who did it or where it appeared.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Jiggs and Maggie had a young adult daughter named Nora who appeared with her parents in the very first strip back in 1912. George McManus liked to dress Nora up in the latest fashions of the day and used her to stand in juxtaposition to her fashion conscious but fashion-challenged mother. Nora acted with a certain maturity that alluded both of her parents. She was a poor candidate for a spanking since she was often Jigg's valuable ally who tried to alert her father in regards to his wife's manic-depressive behavior. Maggie was still beating on him in the mid-1970s.
BringingUpFatherAugust22,1975.jpg
BringingUpFatherAugust22,1975.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
The Bringing Up Father strip was satirized at least twice in Mad Magazine. Once after having taken one beating too many he files for divorce and ends up tossing his money at multiple show girls. In another parody he simply can't take the abuse any more and turns the table on Maggie with a show of psychotic behavior that involves hiring thugs to keep his house in order.

According to an early Jiggs biography, as told by McManus, Jiggs was born in Ireland and immigrated to the U.S. where he married a waitress who served him generous amounts of corn beef and cabbage. He made his money in selling bricks [used in New York street brawls]. In early 1939 he had $500,000 in the bank - could have been when he won the Irish Sweepstakes. McManus described the backbone of the strip as being the humor derived from the incredulousness of this low-brow couple trying to blend into high society [a fish-out-of-water Beverly Hillbillies type story] - Maggie out of her need for acceptance and Jiggs because of his misguided role as being his abuser's enabler. Anyway, Jiggs may have been genuinely in love with Maggie but it also looks like he was just as genuinely afraid of her unpredictable nature.
BringingUpFatherAugust28,1940.jpg
BringingUpFatherAugust28,1940.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 3154 times

By the mid-'80s the couple took on a more contemporary look and politically correct relationship. Instead of giving Jiggs a black-eye Maggie seems genuinely bemused by her husband's little attempt at humor. Anyway, I think he was kidding ;)
BringingUpFatherJanuary16,1987.jpg
BringingUpFatherJanuary16,1987.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 3154 times