Spankings in Archie Comics

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
jimc

Re: Spankings in Archie Comics

Post by jimc »

Yes the veronica spanking had it moments, but really had too much impact to be a good spanking panel, there was another story where veronica had been warned if she messed up a deal in the works for one of her father's companies she would enter the deal with a ping pong paddle. As always happens with veronica she does get in trouble, but while she does bring her father the ping pong paddle and is holding at such an angle that she does know how he would use it she does get out of her well deserved spanking it was still a great image to think of. as there were only 2 actual spankings to Betty and Veronica (there were off strip and some other f/m that we have no use for at CSR that were around), but they were not as good as some of the strips or some other comics that were done by DSD. So even though they were the most spankable they did not have the stories that should have happened. Oh, before i forget there was a surfing episode where Archie was trying to be a life guard and working together they foiled the attempt by Archie to be bothered by all the females and the winner of the job was their biggest competitor and so all the boys were not going to be available and Jughead asks to borrow their board and they say sure just on one condition that he give each of them a couple of good whacks with the board and it showed them bending over to get them. Great scene in their bathing suits.
JIm
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

I hate it when writers teases us by not showing the spanking! wouldv"e been nice to see Josie getting her bottom smack by her father for poor grades also like to have seenthat spoil brat Alexandra get the spanking of her life boy" she deserves it.
web-ed
Site Admin

Some Pratfalls from Archie Comics

Post by web-ed »

O.K., it's officially Homecoming Month at CSR (October 2015) when we're going to return to Riverdale High, and as part of the festivities, I'm going to do three posts under this topic of items closely related to spankings. First up are Pratfalls.

Now of course pratfalls are not as good as actual spankings, but we sometimes get some good rubbing afterward that looks like it might have been due to a spanking ;) . Here are four examples (and thanks to Robin for finding these):

1. Archie the Gentleman (publication details unknown):

2. Betty and Veronica go Ice Skating, from Betty and Veronica Annual Digest Magazine #9 (October 1993):

3. Betty Tries Out for Cheerleading, from Betty and Veronica #38 (September 1958). Script by Frank Doyle, who also wrote some of the actual spankings we've seen in Archie comics, pencils by Dan DeCarlo, and inks by Rudy Lapick.

4. Suzie takes a pratfall, from Suzie #89 (October 1952, creative personnel unknown)

Characters are copyright AP.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, Suzie was published by Archie but was a year or two older than the Riverdale HIgh gang. Nonetheless, she got spanked at least once (see it in Comics Gallery 2) and was obviously not too old to be turned over her father's knee as strongly suggested by one panel (mentioned below). We'll see one example (in two weeks) which strongly implies she got spanked by her employer, and Robin located an extremely suggestive post-spanking panel which I am still trying to identify. Suzie appeared in at least three titles, so tracking down all her appearances is going to be difficult. Fortunately, a number of issues of her own title, Suzie, have recently become available, which is how I found this one.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

nice prat falls. there is indeed something about girls falling on their butts that's a little appealing and it definitely always makes me think that i have a much better way to make their bottoms sore :lol: . i have to admit that i don't remember the Suzie character but i was intrigued by what you had to say and i'll be looking forward too seeing what you have concerning her in the upcoming weeks :D . thanks, phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Behinds in Jeopardy from Archie Comics

Post by web-ed »

For our second of three special features during Homecoming 2015 we have some examples of what I call "Behinds in Jeopardy". Not spankings, but significant I think because spanking humor cartoons probably evolved from this humble beginning, and we do sometimes get some pain stars or rubbing. Once again we are indebted to Robin for providing these examples to us, although it's likely I found some of the Suzie stuff.

1. Betty and Veronica kick some ass - literally!
A paddle might have been nice, but wasn't handy. Publication details unknown.

2. Betty gets the hook! At least I think it's Betty - it's hard to tell with her head covered. But I believe this is from
Archie Comics #28 (Sept-Oct 1947) in which case it's a Betty & Veronica story with art by Irv Novick, who worked for MLJ/Archie during this period. This is of course basically the old "Bend over, get a swat" gag from the days of burlesque.

3. Veronica Gets the Needle, from Betty and Veronica #144 (December 1967):

4. Too Much of a Good Thing - I don't know what the story is here - could have been pratfalls. Looks like Veronica won't be sitting too comfortably for a while. The publication details are unknown but this appears to be from the '40's.

5. Suzie Gets a Swat - Let's go back to Suzie, who as I mentioned last time was published by Archie Comics but was not part of the Riverdale High gang. She was a year or two older and was probably based on Bill Ward's successful Torchy.

Suzie bends over - can a good swat be far "behind"? (We've got a whole bunch of examples of Suzie facing away from us and bending over as a special feature in Comics Gallery 1).
From Suzie #50 (Fall 1945).

Her niece Angela delivers the "swat" although it's more of butt-to-butt contact. Notice that Suzie threatens Angela with "a licking" if she doesn't behave: :o

Angela places some cacti in Suzie's bed, and Suzie sits on them just as Veronica did the pin cushion, and Angela pays the price - in the last panel, she's taking the train home and sitting on a cushion.

Suzie spanking Angela was a lot like Fritzi Ritz spanking her niece Nancy, or Katy Keene (an Archie Publications character we'll be seeing on the main site later this month) spanking her little sister. As a matter of fact, Angela does get a spanking from an irate man on-panel in another comic, but because she's a child it won't be shown on CSR. If I haven't put the details in the Comics Spanking Data Base yet I will do so eventually.

6. Suzie Finds a Boat - You'll notice that Suzie has a rather full bust - this was the late 40's, and there was a definite tendency at this time, continuing into the 50's, for greater sexualization of the characters in comics and humor cartoons. Perhaps we'll take up that subject another day.

Suzie #57 (June 1947)

No bending over in this one, but at least we get some nice pain stars:
Characters are all copyright AP. :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

as i said with the pratfalls, these all give enough attention to the victim's bottom to make my mind think of spanking for sure :D . of course, that's not necessarily a difficult task :lol: . my favorites are Veronica and Suzie rubbing after their incidents 8-) . if you'll notice, Betty is giggling as Veronica rubs her bottom and that seems like evidence to me that one female friend might just giggle while watching her female friend getting a spanking..............just as has been happening in my toons ;) :D . thanks, phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Pratfalls, Behind in Jeopardy, and Missed Opportunities

Post by web-ed »

We're in our third week now of Special Features during Homecoming Month (2015). Before getting to some Missed Opportunities, I'd like to present one more pratfall and one more behind in jeopardy which I just recently discovered. Because of this additional material, I'm pleased to announce that we can extend these features one more week and conclude with more Missed Opportunities next time :D !

1. Suzie and Ferdie go Bowling, from Suzie #55 (1947, probably February - no idicia available)

Those bowling alleys are pretty hard, too - ouch!

2. Suzie and Ferdie take Angela to the Beach, from Suzie #70 (August 1949):
Low-level humor, sure, but we love it anyway! :lol:

Ferdie is Suzie's boyfriend, by the way, while Angela is her niece. Of some interest is that Suzie spanked Angela at least twice, while a man she was pestering did so once (see the Comics Spanking Data Base over on the main site for the details). When we also remember that Suzie was spanked at least once on-panel and is shown in a different after-spanking situation, and her back-up feature Ginger was also spanked off-panel (! - we'll see it here next week) it makes us regard this strip with great interest. I've searched about half the issues in her own title, but Suzie made some other appearances as well and I expect it will be some time before they're all available to me as Archie comics from the Golden Age are still hard to find. Let's all hope there's some more (adult) Suzie spankings out there. 8-)

3. Archie Being a Man (publication details unknown, found by Robin):

Good for you, Arch! Now you can continue your manly ways by taking Veronica firmly over your knee as soon as the two of you are safe from prying eyes (except ours!) :lol: .

4. Betty's father, Mr. Cooper, issues a possible spanking threat (found by Robin):

5. The Girls Bend Over: (found by Robin)
Archie should have brought a paddle along.

6. Betty Has No Discipline (we can suggest a remedy!):

Also found by Robin.

7. Nursery Time: Because the Archie comics are still copyrighted material, I can only present part of this story in which Betty seems to go slightly bonkers but manages to get the upper hand with Ronnie in the end.

Archie could have spanked Veronica right here ;)

Of course, we're all wondering if Veronica's father applied some paternal discipline in the form of a spanking once the police officer explained to him what she did :D . As for Betty, she manages to wind up with Archie, at least for now.

All the material here is copyright AP. And again, thanks to Robin for finding most of it.

Next time: more missed opportunities, featuring Betty, Veronica, Suzie, and Ginger! :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

you have presented us with several suggestive situations here :D . i think my favorite is Archie "being a man" by carrying Veronica off. both her position and the angry look on Archie's face certainly do suggest that he might be hurrying off to find a secluded spot to turn her over for a spanking.........i can almost picture her with her head and her panties down and her bare bottom up for such an event :lol: . the conversation between Betty and her dad is certainly suggestive of a young lady that is in danger of getting a good spanking too :D . I don't know exactly what Archie is thinking about as he watches the girls bending over but i know what would have been on my mind..........yours too apparently :lol: . in the last one you presented, you mentioned that we all wondered if Veronica's dad gave her a spanking after talking to the cop. that's certainly true although it seemed to me that Betty definitely deserved a good spanking too 8-) :lol: . thanks for sharing these with us. Phil
jimc

Post by jimc »

There was another Veronica one where she is telling Archie and Betty that she has her father wrapped around her finger and all she has to do is sit on his knee like when she was little and the end shows her spraying her father and he calling out that he will see Veronica in his den and while Archie and Betty are walking away they tell her just to go in and sit on his knee facing downwards and it will be all right. I would loved to have seen the spankings mentioned in the panels I also hope you find the one about the girls bending over and asking Jughead to give them a couple of good hard whacks. Suzie is indeed spankable like Katy Keene and I hope that there is another of Suzie being spanked. I read in the database about Suzie spanking her niece , but I had never seen it. I think there was a pin-up with Betty walking to school with a hand print on her bottom and Veronica was laughing at it and Betty said something like it was real because her father had found out she had used all his ties to make her jeans into colored flares. Have great day.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

jimc wrote:There was another Veronica one where she is telling Archie and Betty that she has her father wrapped around her finger and all she has to do is sit on his knee like when she was little and the end shows her spraying her father and he calling out that he will see Veronica in his den and while Archie and Betty are walking away they tell her just to go in and sit on his knee facing downwards and it will be all right. I would loved to have seen the spankings mentioned in the panels I also hope you find the one about the girls bending over and asking Jughead to give them a couple of good hard whacks. Suzie is indeed spankable like Katy Keene and I hope that there is another of Suzie being spanked. I read in the database about Suzie spanking her niece , but I had never seen it. I think there was a pin-up with Betty walking to school with a hand print on her bottom and Veronica was laughing at it and Betty said something like it was real because her father had found out she had used all his ties to make her jeans into colored flares. Have great day.
Jim
You know, Jim, I think I've seen that first one you mentioned with Veronica - I'll have to check if I ever get 5 minutes. Haven't seen the surfboard incident yet although it reminds me of the spanking from Venus #2 in that the spankees ask for their swats (and a scene from one other still unidentified comic in my files). I'll try to remember to send you the one with Suzie spanking Angela. Finally, you remembered the Betty incident exactly except that it was a foot print instead of a hand print. I like it better your way, but in any case we'll see it today - next post! :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

More Missed Opportunities in Archie Comics

Post by web-ed »

Time for Part 4 of this special series we're running during Homecoming Month (Oct. 2015).

1. A Strategic Footprint - this is the one JimC. mentioned just above, although he recalled it as a handprint, which would have been better as surely Mr. Cooper would have spanked Betty, not given her a swift kick. Perhaps it was thought that a handprint might be too suggestive of something other than a paternal spanking. Discovered by Robin.

2. Even Veronica knows she needs a spanking! The publishing details of this self-spanking panel are unknown. Discovered by Robin.

3. This one is wonderfully suggestive as it implies an actual spanking did take place: like Bill Ward's Torchy, Suzie changes jobs frequently. Applying for a job with a swami as his assistant, he offers to give her what she received on her last job. Suzie looks back at her still-stinging behind, implying that what she got on her last job was a good spanking :lol: ! Then when he offers to double her "salary," Suzie thinks "I hope he doesn't double it in the same place" which obviously refers to getting twice the spanks! This one is believed to be the work of the waggish Bill Woggon. If you look carefully at the first panel, it just might be that Suzie is rubbing her sore bottom even there.

From PEP Comics #58 (October 1946). Characters are copyright AP.

4. Ginger Snapp plays one practical joke too many: I found this while searching through Suzie comics (her own title) in issue #64 (August 1948). Ginger was the back-up feature, and the first thing that struck me is that this is the same character we've seen previously in Star Comics (or at least the same name), which is odd because Star was all-reprint after a certain point and I believed their material came from Victor Fox, not Archie, which was obviously still around and still owned its material. Yet another conundrum from the mysterious Star Comics that I hope to unravel some day.

You can see Ginger in some Star appearances here. And come to think of it, she had her own book for a while (published by Archie). More stuff to look into...

Anyway, here is the 6-page Ginger feature in its entirety. Ginger very clearly gets spanked by her dad :D !

Gotta love that last panel! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i thought it was too bad that we didn't have any details on #2. i'd like to know what's going on and it almost looks like the talk balloons have been cut off?? i agree with you that #3 is certainly suggestive :D . there has definitely been a spanking at her last job. now i'm wondering if there is a comic depicting that. she is definitely rubbing her spanked bottom in the first panel and the way she's looking back along with the pain stars indicates that in the panel where he says he'll give her what she got a her last job :D . then there's more bottom rubbing in the silhouette and of course, he hope that he doesn't double it in the same place :lol: she's a shapely young lady and i like this one best ;) . it's also obvious that Ginger got a spanking from her father in #4 :D . thanks for the history and information on this one. no wonder figuring all this stuff out is so complicated. thanks, phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I liked your addition to this topic this week.

The first panel, however, looks to me like Betty got a kick instead of a spanking... Although I do remember seeing a comic panel that had a shoe sole being used as a spanking implement. Doesn't seem like one I'd want to use. I would've rather seen a handprint on the seat of Betty's britches! ;) ;) ;) ;)

The second one is intriguing. Maybe something will eventually turn up on that one. It looks like they're on a stage with instruments... Maybe Veronica just found the perfect percussion sound that they've been needing for one of their songs... and Archie is going to have to do a drum solo on her derriere! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Not likely, but that would be the kind of story I would come up with!)

We'd all rather see an actual spanking than an implied one... but, as implied spankings go, this is a really good one! Susie is already rubbing in the first panel... (I'd like to see the beginning of this story!) And then, she says she wouldn't want to get what she got on her last job... still rubbing her backside... AND some stars! Then there's that silhouette shot of her changing clothes and hoping she doesn't get double what she got in the same place! I suppose there might've been some kind of stupid pratfall earlier in the story and that's why she's rubbing her butt and hoping she doesn't get more of the same... but I prefer to think that her previous boss would've had the sense to turn her over his knee at least once before sending her on her merry way! ;) ;) ;) ;) That clingy maroon dress she's wearing just looks too good for anyone with the slightest of spanko tendencies to pass up!

And finally there's Ginger Snapp. (Hmmmm! That hair looks familiar... but no! I didn't copy it when I started drawing my O.T. Katie strips!) Again, an implied spanking... but it's so clearly implied that there's no likely alternative explanation for why she's rubbing her bottom and why there are stars! I'm not so much a fan of parental spankings. I would've preferred it if Mr. Jirkey had been the one to spank her... and even better than that, if he had been drawn as a handsome young man that Ginger would've felt some attraction toward! But, in spite of that... She looks so cute standing there rubbing her tender bottom! :D :D :D :D

Thanks for finding and posting these rare moments in comic book history!
jimc

Post by jimc »

hi web-ed, I love the Archie finds and Ginger and Suzie. I would imagine that Suzie's last job where she got spanked would be the issue that she did get spanked that you have in the database. Using Google search I put in Betty Cooper spanked and I got the Betty one and the Veronica ones that we have been discussing. Also some place called archiefans.com has a lot of the things as well and you might be able to find the other issues you are looking for. I was aware that it was a footprint, but I did not like that Betty's father had kicked her although I like b00m's comment about using a slipper to spank her would be more exciting to us. Ginger's story is like a lot of other comic stories I have seen over the years with similar results I remember an Audrey one, a little dot one and the other Candi that you have in the database. I do enjoy the choices for Archie and Veronica; Karsten's Veronica has a really great bottom and the other one is how most everyone wanted to see Veronica was another great find as well. Have a great day.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

b00m wrote:And finally there's Ginger Snapp. (Hmmmm! That hair looks familiar... but no! I didn't copy it when I started drawing my O.T. Katie strips!) Again, an implied spanking... but it's so clearly implied that there's no likely alternative explanation for why she's rubbing her bottom and why there are stars! I'm not so much a fan of parental spankings. I would've preferred it if Mr. Jirkey had been the one to spank her... and even better than that, if he had been drawn as a handsome young man that Ginger would've felt some attraction toward! But, in spite of that... She looks so cute standing there rubbing her tender bottom! :D :D :D :D

Thanks for finding and posting these rare moments in comic book history!
You're welcome, B00m, and I knew you'd like seeing a spankee with red hair :lol: ! Paternal spankings are generally not the best because they're purely disciplinary, but they're still a lot of fun! I still intend to locate that Suzie story from which I have only an apparent after-spanking panel. It's probably a paternal disciplinary spanking, but still, we'd all like to see it. :D
JimC wrote:Also some place called archiefans.com has a lot of the things as well and you might be able to find the other issues you are looking for.
Thanks, Jim - I'll check it out.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Wilbur and Society

Post by web-ed »

O.K., I'll be honest and admit right now there's no spanking or even much of a missed opportunity here, although we do get to see Linda in a bending-over position in one panel. (Brief review: Wilbur is Archie Comics' in-house Archie-imitator, with Wilbur of course as the Archie character and Linda as Veronica, or perhaps a composite of Betty and Veronica :? .) But one of the interesting things about comics and other examples of popular culture is that they invariably reflect the broader culture more simply and directly than serious art does, and while searching the latest issue of Wilbur to become available at Digital Comics Museum (#4), I came across a scene I found rather interesting. (By the way, I'll certainly ramble on at length about the 1950s when I finally get around to charting "The History of the Spanking Cartoon" which I hope to write while we're all still here.)

Now before presenting it I want to state again that I strive to be apolitical here at CSR. I read about politics, I write about politics elsewhere (not using the name "Web-Ed" obviously), and our lives are suffused with politics these days to such a degree that what we all need is a break from them. I mean, "Papa" John recently lost control of the company he founded, Papa John's Pizza, because he said something on a training phone call that someone else unreasonably took offense at. Something is seriously wrong when people are losing their jobs because they hold the "wrong" political views. We're badly divided as a nation (in America) along political lines, and I don't want to alienate perhaps 50% of my readers by turning CSR into yet another political outlet, of which there is no shortage.

And yet...the following example tells us something about the past (1945), a past that is still within living memory, when things were quite different than today. I think it's important to learn from history, even at the risk of being just a little - I'm wearing out the word - political. I'll try to make it as little as possible.

Let's visit "The Weaker Sex" from Wilbur #4 (Spring 1945), a simple story in which Wilbur, trying to impress Linda with his masculine prowess, fails miserably as she proves to be better at pretty much everything than he is. One skill she possesses I found to be of particular interest.

Linda easily outshoots Wilbur in Wilbur #4 (Spring 1945).

Now Wilbur is such a bumbling fool he makes Archie Andrews look cool and competent by comparison :lol: , and I have seen enough competitive women shooters to know that basically women can shoot as well as men (although there's no female equivalent to someone like Jerry Miculek), so the point here is not that women can be excellent shooters. The point is how Linda obtained her skill - as captain of the Girls' Rifle Team. Yes, boys and girls, shooting (with real, live ammunition) was until comparatively recently a common competitive sport at the high school level.

That's right: boys and girls carried rifles (unloaded, of course) to high school with them. It was a common practice in suburban America. And no one shot up the classroom of a teacher he disliked, much less went on a horrifying killing spree. Was this in pioneer days of the one-room schoolhouse 180 years ago? No, this was in early (and even later) post-World War II America. (I think the situation in Britain and Australia was similar, but can't speak with authority about it).

There is only one conclusion: the "easy availability of guns" in no way causes school killings or any other kind of violence. Something else has gone wrong with our society. What that something is, I won't go into here or any other place on CSR because it's just too far afield from spanking, but it's time to stop blaming inanimate objects for what is in fact a rise in untreated mental illness or more often, unrestrained evil.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Unintentional Innuendo in Katy Keene

Post by web-ed »

Katy Keene, just to refresh everyone's memory, was an Archie Comics strip of the "Single Girl" type, something in the mold of Dixie Dugan or Fritzi Ritz. It was known for encouraging readers to send in fashions for Katy to model which the artists would then draw in the strip, and we'll see an example of that here. I can't say that it was the first strip to do this since I've never been interested enough in the depiction of fashion in comics to research it, and it certainly wasn't the only one to do it (in the superhero genre Supergirl and the female Legionnaires followed suit years later), but it may well have been the best known. There were several spankings in Katy, but unfortunately s far as I know they were all of "Sis" (as Katy's little sister was known) by Katy, much like the numerous Fritzi Ritz / Nancy spankings in that strip. (I have documented two of them in the DB and have one more in the files but haven't presented them since Sis appears to be about 10 years old).

What we have here - Katy rubbing her sore rear end after apparently going through a "behind in jeopardy" type of situation - was labeled "Butt Sex" by Mitch O'Connell, from whose blog it was extracted by Alan. We prefer a spanking interpretation, of course, and like to imagine that Katy's boyfriend had taken her OTK. :)

Thanks to Alan for sending this one in. © Archie Publications
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

I do not think the cartoonist is familiar of the reaction of sensitive skin to liniment. I remember a football game where the first aid man slapped some liniment on the hip of an injured player. From lying on the ground the footballer jumped three feet into the air.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Katy Keene's Sore Rear

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:I do not think the cartoonist is familiar of the reaction of sensitive skin to liniment. I remember a football game where the first aid man slapped some liniment on the hip of an injured player. From lying on the ground the footballer jumped three feet into the air.
That's an interesting point, Willjohn, and I do believe you're right. It's been many years since I used liniment myself - as I remember I overdid the preacher's bench curls and my biceps were killing me the the next day - but this raises the question of what should the freshly-spanked spankee do if she's really sore? (This is most often called "aftercare" in the spanko community, in case anyone didn't know and wants to do some research on the subject). Arnica has often been recommended, but honestly I didn't keep any on hand for spanking parties or private spanking sessions when I was doing those things so I don't have a personal opinion on the subject. I think that medical science regards claims that arnica reduces swelling to be unproven. (I haven't given up on spanking sessions, by the way, but I don't have time for them right now, and as for spanking parties I will have more to say about that subject soon).
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Bending Over Gag in Archie

Post by web-ed »

I don't know exactly how old this gag is but it's been around for awhile. I also don't know where I came across this, although it may have been sent to me by Robin. The gag revolves around recognizing someone by a part of her anatomy other than her face. ;)

Jughead is puzzled as Archie declares, "It's Veronica!" The artist is unknown. © Archie Comic Publications
-- Web-Ed