Dixie Dugan

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Dixie Dugan

Post by web-ed »

We're going to see Dixie herself get paddled this week - she's mistaken for a kid trying to sneak into the circus - but there were other paddlings in the strip as well. Those that occurred on-panel are going to be recorded in the data base, but since they're not going to be presented on the main site I'll go through them here.

1. Dixie's brother Sammy joins a fraternity and gets hazed. Yuchh! :P This took place on 11-14-1943 and was discovered by Andre.

2. Dixie discovers two boys paddling and otherwise hazing each other. They are trying to prepare for joining a fraternity in a few weeks. This was 09-01-1935.

Then there was an unusual storyline, also discovered by Andre, that had a lot of spanking but unfortunately of boys. I don't have the exact year, but it looks like the 1930's. Dixie's father inherits a private school ("Spoiled children from 'soft' homes" as we're told), and Dixie joins the staff as a teacher. A young man named Beaunash is the school's athletic director and official spanker. Dixie and the other women are quite taken with him. At one point, six or seven boys are lined up outside his office waiting for their spankings. No girls were spanked during the storyline as far as I can tell.

The interesting thing is how much attention was given to spanking. But is it merely that writer J.P. McEvoy was firmly
convinced that spanking was a good way to discipline children? Nothing in the storyline suggests it was anything
more, nor do the many spankings of Dixie's niece Imogene, a good number of which seem to occur off-panel.

Speaking of which, Imogene got an unusual swat on 12/08/1935. Refusing to obey her dance teacher, Miss Lightfoot, and generally creating havok in the dance studio, Miss Lightfoot suggests a "limbering up" exercise - placing her hands on the floor - to Imogene. Imogene does, and gets a good whack from Miss Lightfoot! The interesting thing is that Miss Lightfoot herself demonstrates the correct bending-over position which reminds me of that Bill Ward cartoon and also brings to mind paddling Miss Lightfoot. :)

Miss Lightfoot bends over. Unfortunately, no one had a paddle handy. © McNaught Syndicate

Bill Ward did it better!

Imogene apparently gets spanked by her mother off-panel some months later after she gets into a fight during a dance recital.

So what are we left with? Dixie Dugan was a very pedestrian strip that had two good M/F spankings and a third (#2 in CSR's numbering) that was off-panel but was well-motivated, which is why I posted it. Of course, the strip had a fairly long run, only dying in the 60's, which means there could be another good spanking in it some place. McEvoy at some point turned the writing over to his son - did the son inherit his father's "interest," if it was that, in spanking? If Chief Strip Researcher Phil Sweetspot :ugeek: or I find anything more, you'll read about it here.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Re: Dixie Dugan

Post by Sweetspot »

Web-Ed has dedicated space in the Forum for the comic strip Dixie Dugan. I'll take advantage of that to off-load a few minor items I've been holding on to for a while now. First up let's see how Dixie responds when a handsome young fellow threatens to get rough with her. It's not a threat of a spanking but I would guess her response would be very similar had it been. May 14, 1930
DixieDuganMay14,1930NoseSmack.jpg
DixieDuganMay14,1930NoseSmack.jpg (65.59 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
June 25, 1941 Mickey and Dixie are indirectly threatened by the bad guys. On this particular adventure she is apparently a "writer" of some sort after the big story out at a logging camp.
dixieDuganJune25,1941DETAIL.jpg
dixieDuganJune25,1941DETAIL.jpg (86.32 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
The item known in Gallery 2 as Dixie Dugan 2 could use an upgrade even though it is in fact an off-panel punishment.
:arrow: http://www.chicagospankingreview.org/co ... ing_2.html
September 11, 1948
DixieDuganSeptember11,1948DETAIL.jpg
DixieDuganSeptember11,1948DETAIL.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Dixie Dugan September 13, 1948
DixieDuganSeptember13,1948DETAIL.jpg
DixieDuganSeptember13,1948DETAIL.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Dixie Dugan September 14, 1948
DixieDuganSeptember14,1948St.Louis.jpg
DixieDuganSeptember14,1948St.Louis.jpg (113.5 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Dixie Dugan September 15, 1941
DixieDuganSeptember15,1948DETAIL.jpg
DixieDuganSeptember15,1948DETAIL.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

"Then there was an unusual storyline, also discovered by Andre, that had a lot of spanking but unfortunately of boys. I don't have the exact year, but it looks like the 1930's. Dixie's father inherits a private school ("Spoiled children from 'soft' homes" as we're told), and Dixie joins the staff as a teacher. A young man named Beaunash is the school's athletic director and official spanker. Dixie and the other women are quite taken with him. At one point, six or seven boys are lined up outside his office waiting for their spankings. No girls were spanked during the storyline as far as I can tell." - Web-Ed

I've bungled this badly :oops: and placed most of my responses concerning Dixie Dugan under the wrong heading :( only noticing my mistake after the fact :x [Not to worry, Phil - I moved them over here so they're just above this post now - Web-Ed] Anyway, I just have one more thing to add. A storyline, as noticed by Web-Ed, from early 1933 that involved Pop Duncan inheriting a private school did only feature young males receiving spankings [all off-panel]. Because of that fact when I first looked at this story [in late 2016 I would guess] I dismissed it as not significant to my funny pages scanning efforts. But there was enough evidence there to strongly consider that the gals were getting spanked by Mr. Beaunash just like the guys.

Dixie Dugan January 16, 1933 This panel sets up the entire storyline for us in a nutshell. Notice that the 'bigger' class includes both males and females and shows all of the students sticking out their tongues as their greeting to the adults who enter the room. :o
DixieDuganJanuary16,1933.jpg
DixieDuganJanuary16,1933.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

Dixie Dugan January 25, 1933 "Setting up exercises" is Beaunash's little code name/inside joke for spanking and notice here that he uses the gender neutral word kid instead of boy. :!:
DixieDuganJanuary25,1933.jpg
DixieDuganJanuary25,1933.jpg (70.07 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
Dixie Dugan February 10, 1933 Keeping in mind just what Mr. Beaunash's job entails, when he asks Dixie if she needs any help with her students he wants to know if any of them need to be spanked. When Dixie notes the uniform odd behavior in her class she does indeed call upon the school's disciplinarian for assistance. ;) The students are practicing the secret hand signal they have developed for their secret but co-ed club that is dedicated to bringing Dixie and Mr. Beaunash together as a couple 8-)
DixieDuganFebraury10,1933.jpg
DixieDuganFebraury10,1933.jpg (52.89 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
Last edited by Sweetspot on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

A few of points, Phil:

1. I wasn't sure if you had discovered these independently of Andre or not, and I only mentioned him because I already had his scans in the files. Also, there wasn't any issue of credit involved, since the spankings were off-panel and couldn't have been posted even if they were on-panel.

2. I'm not sure if you "bungled" or not - you did post about six examples under this topic and then I moved them under "Missed Opportunities" with the idea we'd keep this thread for Dixie Dugan alone. [Later] O.K., now I see what you meant - you posted the "Dixie" stuff under Missed Opportunities. No problem - I can move it back here, but it will take its place in chronological sequence, before this post.

3. Maybe some of the girls were spanked after all. If so it apparently only took place off-panel, and it wouldn't have helped us even if it had beein right out in the open, as Imogene's sometimes were.

4. I still wonder if there might have been any more spankings in Dixie during its later years. :?:
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

O.K., now to these new examples.

1. "A good smack in the" - nose? This is terrible :x ! No gentleman would ever threaten to strike a lady in any manner (I don't consider a legitimate spanking to be "striking"). Was McEvoy simply too timid to bring up spanking at this early date (1930)? It's hard to see why he should have afraid to mention spanking since there had been four M/F adult spankings in the strips prior to this time (Harold Teen/Lillums Lovewell, Cole Oyl/Olive Oyl, Somebody's Stenog (father/Cam), and Texas Slim. Dixie seems quite taken with his masterful (sort of) declaration - would she have swooned if he'd threatened a spanking as he should have?

2. The spanking threat from 1941 - this is later, of course, and "spanking" is mentioned right out loud! These bad guys have some good ideas :lol: !

3. DD Spanking #2 - I was hoping we'd be able to update this one some day. It was an interesting scene, which is why I posted out, but without the spanking being on-panel I couldn't count it for the purposes of the Data Base. I will add these scans to the page - good job! :D
-- Web-Ed