publicity photos... real and fake.

Any topics that do not fit under the other forums.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
daneldorado

Re: publicity photos... real and fake.

Post by daneldorado »

Speaking of good over-the-knee spanking photos, this one from The Iron Maiden (1962) got a lot of attention back in the day. The India-born Brit Michael Craig put American actress Anne Helm over his lap and walloped her gorgeous behind for trying to sabotage his eponymous steam engine. This spanking is really in the film, though some of us wish it could have lasted longer. My recollection is that Anne gets only four quick swats, then it's over. Nevertheless, this OTK picture has been praised for its wonderful positioning.

I liked the picture so much that I recreated it, cartoon style, here.

As usual, I claim NO copyright ownership of this image. Okay, maybe my drawing. But the photograph might be protected by copyright law elsewhere.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

As I recall, Dan, that scene from Iron Maiden was a good one (I'm sure it was in your old Cinema Swats video series, still available by the way). But I like your cartoon version better as it is idealized (and the spankee's skirt is raised) :D .
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Dan. Sorry I didn't comment on this one right away, but lately, I seem to get interrupted every time I log on to C.S.R.
daneldorado wrote:Speaking of good over-the-knee spanking photos, this one from The Iron Maiden (1962) got a lot of attention back in the day. The India-born Brit Michael Craig put American actress Anne Helm over his lap and walloped her gorgeous behind for trying to sabotage his eponymous steam engine. This spanking is really in the film, though some of us wish it could have lasted longer. My recollection is that Anne gets only four quick swats, then it's over. Nevertheless, this OTK picture has been praised for its wonderful positioning.
I've never seen the whole movie, just a short clip of the spanking scene. You're right. It's way too short. I read somewhere that the spanking is mentioned later... but I can't confirm it.

Anne Helm looks gorgeous in the posed still! Thanks for finding such a nice, clear, high-resolution copy!

I like your "cartoonized" version of the still too.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi Dan,

While this is a great photo from the movie, I think the modifications you made in your drawing are superior :D . I much prefer seeing the spankee with her dress raised and the seat of her panties sticking up..........not that this is a surprise to anyone :lol: . Thanks for sharing this. Phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

As we were saying earlier in this thread, the movies used to bring us scenes where a naughty woman or girl is getting spanked. It happened in hundreds of films, and almost always there would be a "publicity still" of that scene issued, to the press and to private collectors.

The very first screen spanking that I remember seeing is this one, from the Paramount production "There's Magic in Music" released in 1941. I probably caught sight of it about 20 years later, on one of those TV channels that would screen old movies late at night. The spanker here is Allan Jones, and he is spanking Susanna Foster, a young actress whose primary talent was singing, in a glorious soprano voice that was justly celebrated in the middle years of the 20th century. Susanna was best known for her portrayal of the young diva "Christine" in the 1943 version of "The Phantom of the Opera."

The spanking scene in "There's Magic in Music" was very, very good. Jones sits down, puts Susanna over his knee, and whales away with his bare hand. I forget how many swats are seen to land, but my recollection is that there were plenty, by motion picture standards. Fifteen or sixteen, I think. Oh by the way, you may know that this film went through a title change later, to "The Hardboiled Canary."

I copied the spanking scene onto my drawing board, and you can see the results here.

Neither the Chicago Spanking Review nor I claim any ownership rights to the photo above. It is probably still under copyright by Paramount Pictures.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote:I copied the spanking scene onto my drawing board, and you can see the results here.
Hi Dan,

I must say that I like your version of this much better than the original photo since it shows the young lady's dress pulled up, exposing the seat of her panties to the hand of the spanker :D . This is, of course, exactly how it should be 8-) . Thanks for sharing this. Phil
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Dan and CSR Friends
I have always been captivated by this particular still that offers a good representation of the actual spanking that takes place in the movie. I am particularly attracted to Miss Foster's facial expression that not only captures her mid-spanking angst but also shows the rather unique results of her head having been recently and repeatedly dunked into a bowl of soapy water. Wow Dan! your copy is exquisite to say the least. You've managed to remove the unnecessary clutter while enhancing the image of the adorable spankee. Thanks for sharing.

I was considering doing a bit of research on "Hard-Boiled Canary" a film that bombed at the box-office and almost immediately thereafter became "There's Magic In Music" at the insistence of the film's star Allan Jones. But I really can't top the research that Harry of Vanilla Spanking has already accomplished. Although the October 2016 post I link you to provides information on a variety of movie spankings, of importance to our current discussion is the fact it contains, at several points, interesting details about Susanna Foster's spanking in the 1941 movie [Including a clip].
https://mainstreamspanking.wordpress.co ... he-movies/.
Phil S.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: There's Magic in Music

Post by web-ed »

I'm surprised to find I didn't comment on this one earlier. I don't remember the film but perhaps with Sweetspot's link I can download a copy of the spanking scene and re-code it for CSR's readers. Thanks for ferreting it out for us, Dan.

Alan Jones looks to be an effective spanker, but he should be remembered also for his fine singing voice and for appearing in the Marx Bros. film A Night at the Opera. He was also the father of singer Jack Jones, still alive as of this writing I'm glad to say. :)
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

This is sort of a "publicity photo". It's a still of a spanking session from Firm Hand Spanking featuring Belinda Lawson turned over Richard Anderson's knee. Of course the most intereting thing about this posed photo is that Ms, Lawson has a lovely backside. It's just beginning to redden under Mr. Anderson's hand.

Something else of interest here is that, although they were involved in an actual spanking video, this picture was clearly posed. There is none of the motion blurring you'd see in a single frame of a film or video. (That is one thing I like about posed stills: no motion blurring) So how is her hair flying as if she's tossing her head wildly? My guess is that there must be a powerful fan just out-of-frame.

I really like this still!

belinda lawson as naughty schoolgirl.jpg
belinda lawson as naughty schoolgirl.jpg (118.99 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Good photo and Ms. Lawson do have a very curvy bottom!!! only wish she was kicking her legs wildly as her rear is being set on fire :twisted: :lol: :lol:
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

At Vanilla Spanking, there was an article about Kiss Me Kate performances in 1968. That included a television broadcast featuring Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence.

The article included this lovely still:
Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence.jpg
Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence.jpg (91.83 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Today, (31 December, 2023), Spanked Hortic II posted this photo of Amber "Pixie" Wells.

amber.jpg
amber.jpg (198.77 KiB) Viewed 2303 times

I haven't seen her for a while. I suppose she must have retired from spanking videos and spanking photo-shoots.

I'm grateful for the time that she spent getting spanked in front of a camera, and I miss her.
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

From memory it was around the time she got married.
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

hugob00m wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:25 am At Vanilla Spanking, there was an article about Kiss Me Kate performances in 1968. That included a television broadcast featuring Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence.

The article included this lovely still:

Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence.jpg
This reminded me of a visit Goulet & Lawrence, who were married at the time paid to Australia around about 1970. They appeared on a "Tonight" type show where guests spent time in the "Green Room" before being interviewed. Robert was well-liquored when he came on air but nowhere near as much as Carol who seemed to have trouble standing up. It was a different time.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, WillJohn.
willjohn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:34 pm This reminded me of a visit Goulet & Lawrence, who were married at the time paid to Australia around about 1970. They appeared on a "Tonight" type show where guests spent time in the "Green Room" before being interviewed. Robert was well-liquored when he came on air but nowhere near as much as Carol who seemed to have trouble standing up. It was a different time.
I heard that their marriage was a turbulent one. Maybe Goulet considered the role of Fred Graham/Petruchio a golden opportunity to spank his wife in public. :D :D :oops: :D :D
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Goulet only lived to be 73. Lawrence is still going at 91. She was still married to him when he died.
hugob00m

Look for the Silver Lining

Post by hugob00m »

These are a few publicity photos that represent an actual spanking that took place in the movie.

First, there's a shot of David Butler, the director, demonstrating how he wanted the star, June Haver, to be spanked.

june haver 1.jpg
june haver 1.jpg (99.55 KiB) Viewed 878 times

Her male co-star, Gordon MacRae, is watching intently. Do you really believe he needed that demonstration? I think maybe Butler just wanted a chance to put the lovely June Haver across his lap! ;) ;) ;) ;) Haver looked dubious.

So then, Gordon MacRae tried his hand:

june haver 2.jpg
june haver 2.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 878 times
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Another behind the scenes photo of June Haver turned over Gordon MacRae's knee:

june haver 3.jpg
june haver 3.jpg (120.73 KiB) Viewed 878 times

And another:

june haver 4.jpg
june haver 4.jpg (175.91 KiB) Viewed 878 times
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Here's a frame from the movie itself with June Haver over Gordon MacRae's knee getting a short, but very enthusiastic spanking,

june haver 5.jpg
june haver 5.jpg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 833 times

And here is another camera angle of June Haver getting spanked.

june haver 6.jpg
june haver 6.jpg (104.07 KiB) Viewed 833 times

Gordon MacRae seemed to be enjoying himself. I think I'd be happy if I was in his place! ;) ;) ;) ;)
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Wow - did I have a lot of catching-up to do!

On the Belinda Lawson photo: you know, B00m, I believe it was Firm Hand's practice to take actual still pictures along side their videos (or even in place of them, in their early days), so I think what we're looking at is a photograph, not a still extract, probably taken with an SLR. At a shutter speed of, say, 1/350 of a second, there wouldn't be any blurring as Miss Lawson tosses her hair due to the stinging of her behind. A great picture! :D

On KMK with Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence: I think I have a newspaper clipping advertising this broadcast that I never got around to posting. It was clipped at the time by Mike D. I'll have to hunt it up again as I think it was among the scans I had that were corrupted by a failing hard drive about three years ago. From what we can see, it looks like they staged the all-important spanking pretty well! :lol:

I've really sort of neglected KMK material in general because I didn't think most CSR readers were all that interested in it and because Chross used to have a huge collection (not sure if it's still out there). I guess it's something else I need to think about, although I'm already overwhelmed and we'd have to give up something else to see the KMK stuff.

Willjohn's recollection of their appearance on Australian TV was certainly interesting. I'm a student of the American musical theatre, and I could tell you about the day Goulet auditioned for Camelot in 1960 (he was cast as Lancelot in his star-making role), but I didn't know that he and Lawrence had, let us say, a fondness for the grape.

On Amber Wells: she was one of the brightest stars of spanking videos, that's for sure. I believe she retired a few years ago, and recently even Richard Windsor, who knew her personally, said he had lost touch with her.

On Look for the Silver Lining: It was probably the late 60s when I first saw the spanking scene, and of course was completely blown away by it. These are fantastic pictures, B00m! I especially like the one with director David Butler demonstrating to Gordon MacRae how to spank June Haver. He must have been a very conscientious and discerning man to realize the importance of getting the spanking right, even to the point of apparently giving Haver some actual spanks, judging by the position of his hand and the expression on Haver's face. I think it's fair to say that any of us here would insist on the same "hands on" approach to directing a scene like this. ;)
-- Web-Ed