publicity photos... real and fake.

Any topics that do not fit under the other forums.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
hugob00m

publicity photos... real and fake.

Post by hugob00m »

There are quite a few publicity photos of leading ladies over the knees of their male co-stars. Some of them depict spankings that actually took place in the movies that they advertised... :D :D :D :D but some did not! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here's one picture of a spanking that I WISH would've happened! Shelley Winters... back when she was young and pretty... turned over Farley Granger's knee! Yummy! I love her position and the expression on her face! Does anyone have this with a better resolution?
Attachments
shelley winters and farley granger.jpg
shelley winters and farley granger.jpg (238.51 KiB) Viewed 9539 times
hugob00m

Another fake, or so I've read: So This Is New York

Post by hugob00m »

This is a movie that I haven't seen... but I read that the spanking shown in the publicity photo didn't take place in the film. @#$%! Dona Drake looked so cute in that short-skirted maid's uniform! How could a guy resist?
Dona Drake.jpg
Dona Drake.jpg (193.75 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
Revision: Vanilla Spanking posted a better copy of the spanking publicity photo, and so I'm replacing the one I had with this one. Also, Vanilla Spanking has a link to the movie itself on Youtube. I went ahead and watched it, and I can now verify that the spanking that's represented in the still does not take place in the movie.
Last edited by hugob00m on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugob00m

Another fake... sort of

Post by hugob00m »

In Getting Gertie's Garter, Dennis O'Keefe DOES put lovely Marie McDonald across his lap following a short chase around the room... but then he relents! :x :x :x :x HUH? What was he thinking? Apparently he wasn't thinking about that gorgeous derriere propped up and ready to smack! @#$%!
Attachments
marie mcdonald.jpg
marie mcdonald.jpg (242.66 KiB) Viewed 9538 times
hugob00m

Something real this time

Post by hugob00m »

Well, sort of...The Thin Man Goes Home actually did have a scene with William Powell spanking Myrna Loy... but... don'tcha think the artist's rendering makes her bottom look a bit more... voluptuous... than it did in the film?
Attachments
thinman.jpg
thinman.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 9528 times
hugob00m

another real one

Post by hugob00m »

Oh yeah! Here are a couple of publicity shots for a spanking that (as we all know quite well) really did take place in the film. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
mclintock still 01.jpg
mclintock still 01.jpg (356.89 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
mclintock still 02.jpg
mclintock still 02.jpg (300.5 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
jimc

Re: publicity photos... real and fake.

Post by jimc »

Wow b00m you have found some really great publicity stills. Like you I wondered about the non-spanking in GETTING GERTIE'S GARTER or the maid spanking as he did pull her skirt up to reveal a very spankable bottom and her expressions were great. It did really look like a very real spanking. Have a great day.
Jim
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

jimc wrote:Wow b00m you have found some really great publicity stills. Like you I wondered about the non-spanking in GETTING GERTIE'S GARTER or the maid spanking as he did pull her skirt up to reveal a very spankable bottom and her expressions were great. It did really look like a very real spanking. Have a great day.
Jim
Hi Jim. Thanks for your comments. So far you're the only one. I thought I'd get more of a response on this topic. The maid in So This is New York has such a look of shocked indignation on her face! I sort of wonder if... sometimes in a photo session, the guy really did land a couple of swats? I know I would! (Pats at the very least!) ;) ;) ;) ;)
jimc

Post by jimc »

Yes, it has always amazed me what some will comment on . Posed spanking to me is a great part of spanking art. I love spanking in movies, but the posed just seems better to me with the positioning, the expressions and even the captions seem better. In many ways I look at the posed spanking like a comic book spanking as it does exist and will not end up on the cutting room floor or be censored or have a false memory. Many of these posed pictures were used in several articles about screen spanking and in my case I did take it that they were in that movie only to find out later that it was never in the movie or it was a different movie. There is a spanking in SHE MARRIED HER BOSS, but the article I read suggested it was an adult getting spanked and looked forward to it. It was to a child actress and delivered off screen as well and I later did find another posed picture that was a genuine publicity pose from that movie and enjoyed it immensely (I am an otk fan, so all spankings to females are enjoyed immensely). I would have thought like you it would have generated more interest, but in some ways I also knew that it would not as it has been a topic that we started several years ago and also had minimum comment or people posting any more to it. I share a computer and my own collection was destroyed several years ago otherwise I would be adding more to the discussion myself. So thanks for posting them b00m and I hope you will continue as there are several that enjoy them and the size that you have posted them is so much better. Thanks and have a great day.
Jim
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

This is a lovely thread to open up. Like you and everyone here, I too loved seeing those great-looking publicity photos, promising spankings in the films themselves... but often, as you say, any "spanking" was confined to the photos and there were NO spankings in the actual films.

What's interesting is that the publicity photos were, to some extent, representative of the public's taste at the time. For example, in the silent film era, studios could release spanking photos that tickled the public's fancy with no risk of backlash. Why? Well, in that time spankings were considered a normal -- and often comical -- part of society's mores. People would watch the spanking on screen and laugh, or maybe smile quietly. The point is, almost nobody minded that a lady was getting her fanny paddled. Some examples are "Stage Struck" (1907), "Riddle Gawne" (1918), and "Her Big Night" (1926), a sophisticated comedy in which the lovely blonde Laura La Plante gets spanked in a clever case of mistaken identity. These pictures were fun to watch.

Fast forward to the sound era. As I have written here before, the year 1941 probably had more fem spanking scenes than any other year. Let's see, I can count seven (7!) American films that I know about, when an actress gets spanked, right up there on the silver screen! Obviously, the producers of the time felt that fem spankings were a major drawing card... and so, actresses were subjected to paddlings more often than ever.

Oh, by the way: b00m, that was Barry Sullivan, not Dennis O'Keefe, who turns Marie McDonald over his knee for the aborted spanking in "Getting Gertie's Garter" (1945), though O'Keefe was also in that picture.

Movie spankings continued to please audiences right up till the early 1960s... in fact, there was a boomlet of sorts, in four (4) films that made their way to our screens in that era. In "Blue Hawaii" (1961), Elvis Presley gave a pretty good spanking to Jenny Maxwell; in 1962, the India-born brit Michael Craig spanked American actress Anne Helm in "The Iron Maiden"; and in 1963, John Wayne actually took TWO (2!) actresses over his knee -- Elizabeth Allen in "Donovan's Reef" and the film that many spankos consider the touchstone: "McLintock!", where he spanks the gorgeous Maureen O'Hara. In that same film, Wayne's son Patrick spanks Stefanie Powers. So, you can see that the early 1960s produced no fewer than FIVE (5!) film spankings. I'm sure that that era is considered the Gold Standard by many spankos.

It was not meant to last, alas. After 1963 there were NO more spankings in American movies, possibly in response to society's bitter reaction to the Vietnam War. Oh, there was a totally non-erotic spanking in "Cattle Annie and Little Bitches". There have not been many since. Oh, of course since that time our society has discovered the joy of private spanking films -- at first, they were released in Super-8 films; later, on VHS; and since about 1990, we have seen them in the DVD format.

But don't let anyone tell you that these private videos compensate for the loss of spankings from the silver screen. Those of us who were introduced to spanking scenes in movies of yore remember the sensation they provided, especially among large and appreciative audiences. There was an indescribable thrill to seeing spankings in that way, connected as we were to the happy crowds around us in the theater. Sadly, we may never see an era like that again.

Cheers,
Dan
jimc

Post by jimc »

Dan, Thanks for your input on these spankings and a great timeline. I did comment several years ago that for some reason spankings did end on the Silver Screen in 1963 and was available on some European films, but back in the sixties there were no outlets to know about other spanking venues and so unless you had access to movies you would not have known about them. I did find some spankings MCHALES NAVY(BABETTE); THE SAINT(THE GOLDEN JOURNEY); RAWHIDE; BONANZA; AND TEMPLE HOUSTON that were all TV series and there were spanking threats that did abound as well. But no movies until several years later. I did hear about CINEMA SWATS much later of course and found that trove to be quite extensive. I always hope that someone does share their collection of posed publicity spankings as like many have said it was great to see major stars spanking and being spanked of course. My favorite was Fuller Brush Man myself, but I do wonder if anyone had other favorites. (We may have to get web-ed to open a poll about this) Thanks and have a great day.
Jim
hugob00m

A real one again.

Post by hugob00m »

I'm still waiting for someone else to start adding photos from their collections. So far I've only had two people even post comments.

And I thought this was going to be a thread that everybody would jump on.

I'm adding a couple of publicity shots from Look for the Silver Lining, a film that really did include a spanking scene.

Am I alone here? Should I just give up and delete this thread?
Attachments
gordon maccrae spanking june haver 2.jpg
gordon maccrae spanking june haver 2.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
gordon maccrae spanking june haver 1.jpg
gordon maccrae spanking june haver 1.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hugob00m wrote:I'm still waiting for someone else to start adding photos from their collections. So far I've only had two people even post comments.
hi Boom.

i haven't commented because i really know very little about these publicity photos and i don't have a collection of them, so there seems to be a gap in my spanking collection. that doesn't mean i don't like them, just that i really didn't have a lot to contribute. in this area, i depend on you, Dan and web-ed. now, about these latest 2 you've posted. in the first one, my first thought was that if i had her over my lap with that soft, loose dress on, i would be unable to resist raising it to see what she's wearing underneath :D . in the second, closer, view i really love the communication that's going on between them via their eye contact and facial expressions. she seems at once indignant and apprehensive and i think her apprehension is well warranted since it appears that he is about to have his hand start communicating with her bottom end :lol: . thanks for posting these. phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

overbarrel49 wrote: hi Boom.

i haven't commented because i really know very little about these publicity photos and i don't have a collection of them, so there seems to be a gap in my spanking collection. that doesn't mean i don't like them, just that i really didn't have a lot to contribute.
It's good to see any kind of comment from anyone. I was wondering whether I had made a mistake in thinking C.S.R. readers would be interested in this topic.
overbarrel49 wrote: in the first one, my first thought was that if i had her over my lap with that soft, loose dress on, i would be unable to resist raising it to see what she's wearing underneath :D . in the second, closer, view i really love the communication that's going on between them via their eye contact and facial expressions. she seems at once indignant and apprehensive and i think her apprehension is well warranted since it appears that he is about to have his hand start communicating with her bottom end :lol:
By "the first one", I think you mean the first of the most recent ones I posted. Yes, it's too bad the man didn't raise the hem of her long nightie to spank her on her bare bottom. but you have to consider that this was a 1949 M.G.M. musical, and by critics' standards back then, it was probably pretty risque that she was spanked wearing her nightie.

If you have a chance to watch Look for the Silver Lining, I'd recommend it. The spanking scene is shorter than either of us would've written, but it's still really cute. The female character is a Broadway star, (Marilyn Miller, based on a real person, and played quite well by the beautiful June Haver) and she's been offered a "serious" role. Her husband thinks she should take it, but she doesn't think it would be good for her career. During their argument, she slaps his face, and he turns her over his knee. The spanking doesn't last as long as I would've preferred, but the husband (played by Gordon McRae) at least get to put his hand across the lovely actress's thinly-clad bottom for a few swats before she gives in and agrees to do what he wants. In the film, and in the publicity stills, the spanking is shown to be in the context of a loving relationship.
jimc

Post by jimc »

Hi b00m, I hope you do not delete the thread as not many people have commented or added anything from their collections. My collection was destroyed several years ago so I can only reply or tell people about where to find some. I really appreciated the effort you made to make the spankings bigger and I really hope more people will look at the thread (but in all honesty I do not think you will as there only about 20 of us that actually comment on a regular basis and I too have had some threads that no one commented on or added anything and it was quite frustrating as I thought it was a great thread and did not get any feedback at all so I do know what you are feeling.) Over at a Tumblr site called WIFE SPANKING there was a great non spanking in the TV series THE SAINT(TO KILL A SAINT) my other problem is that I share a computer and cannot download or upload items that I would like to share either. So I know where some great ones are, but I cannot add any and that does not mean that deleting the thread will help (truth is when web-ed expanded CSR to its current form I had many conversations with him about trying to save many things that would be lost for future spankos and he was able to create the data base and do all the searches so while you may think no one is looking or paying attention there are probably some lurkers that really appreciate the time and effort that you did put into this thread. So thank you and have a great day.
Jim
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

No, b00m, please don't cancel this thread. As you said, many spanking fans have these publicity photos in their private collections, and I'm sure some of them will eventually begin to post them here.

Here are two that I have... and as it happens, in these two films, the spankings really DO occur on the big screen. First, here is a photo from the 1941 film "Our Wife," in which Melvyn Douglas spanks Ellen Drew.

And here is a photo from the 1949 film "Stagecoach Kid," with Tim Holt spanking Jeff Donnell. If you are not familiar with this movie, there are a few things you should know. First of all, Jeff Donnell, the spankee here, is female, not male as her given name might imply. The confusion here is furthered by the fact that in this film, Jeff Donnell plays a girl who is trying to pass herself off as a man. Tim Holt's character is initially fooled, but eventually he realizes her deception, and gives her a royal spanking.

Hope these two pics will help in your decision whether or not to keep this thread going.

Cheers,
Dan
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

THANKS BooM 8-) Remember seeing an young adult Shirley Temple being spanked in a still for a movie forget the name and Fred Mac Murray spanking a woman otk in a still also don't think these movies had spanking in them :x
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

The Our Wife spanking does happen in the film but it was the guy`s ex wife during the spanking with him holding her down over his knee :lol: GREAT STILLS! 8-)
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hi...Here is another publicity still with June Haver in it, this time over the knee of her co-star Mark Stevens, in the 1949 film "Oh, you Beautiful Doll." In this case, however, there is NO spanking in the actual film.

Earlier, one of you guys had posted a picture of Miss Haver from her OTHER 1949 film, "Look for the Silver Lining." In that one, of course she DID get jolly well spanked, by Gordon MacRae.

When I was much younger, I had a big crush on June Haver. I met her, in 1978, when I was writing for an old movie magazine called American Classic Screen. I arranged to meet Miss Haver and her husband, Fred MacMurray, and do a combined interview with them at their Brentwood home. They are -- check it, they are both deceased now -- they WERE two of the friendliest people I have ever met. No airs about their film careers, no, they were just normal folks. And I got a great interview from them.

Of course I wondered if I should mention anything to June about her on-screen spanking... and, as I'm sure you have guessed, I decided to say NOTHING about that scene. She had a lot to say anyway, primarily about her life as a Catholic nun... actually, a novice... right after her departure from the screen, in 1950 and 1951.

Anyway, let me know what you think about the picture I'm sending you today.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi Dan,

i did enjoy this "posed" publicity pic. however, with that dress and all those petticoats, she'll never feel the spanking. the solution to this dilemma is clear however.......bare her bottom :D . of course, i suppose that would have been unacceptable at the time the pic was taken but they could have at least moved all that extraneous fabric up on to her back :lol: . ok, so just wishful thinking on my part 8-) . thanks, phil
jimc

Post by jimc »

I have always said this was one of the best posed ones as far as positioning and expressions. Like Phil said the spanking may not have hurt, but it was such a great pose that it has always been one of my favorites. I have often wondered about Fred and June as spankos as she had the spanking in Look for the Silver Lining and this publicity still. Fred gave spankings in The Angels Sing and also a great posed one with Paulette Goodard in The Forest Rangers( and for that matter Paulette was spanked in many movies herself [NORTH WEST MOUNTED POLICE; SUDDENLY LAST SPRING; REAP THE WILD WIND; UNCONQUERED and possibly some others that I have overlooked] and I did hear something in a movie mag that her husband spanked her on occasion.) Thanks Dan for some of the other great spankings that were Our Wife I liked this posed spanking better than the actual spanking, but the actual one was not bad either. I often thought that Tim Holt was a spanko as almost all of his westerns had a spanking in them and I think that his father also had a spanking scene in one of his movies. b00m, you have already gotten more replies and posts than when I started a thread about this in 2009 I only got Dan as the lone commenter and because I could not add any pictures myself it just died so I do hope you continue this thread and maybe others will add some others. Have a great day.
Jim