A Custom Fit

The cartoons of Overbarrel. Reader comments strongly desired!

Moderator: overbarrel49

Forum rules
Only Overbarrel's art and relevant comments should be posted here.
overbarrel49

A Custom Fit

Post by overbarrel49 »

good, sound advice
good, sound advice
001.jpg (440.94 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
hi everyone,

we are starting a new toon today and so i thought i'd make a few comments about it before posting the first 2 pics. when a couple gets married, regardless of their ages, there are lots of adjustments to be made. every person is different and couples getting married have to try to meet the needs of their new partner while getting their own needs met at the same time.....emotionally, physically and of course, sexually! then when you add spanking to the mix it just adds another factor that has to be balanced. still, with a little work, lots of discussions and by keeping their partner's needs in mind, a couple can usually set up their marriage so that it is "A Custom Fit" for them..........which just happens to be the name of our new toon 8-) .

ok, now about the 2 pics we're starting wit this week. when young people get married, they often times get advice from their parents although i have it on good authority that this advice is often ignored :lol: . it's funny how smart my folks got as i got ;) . anyway, here's the advice our bride and groom got in this case :D . i hope you enjoy the new pics. phil
overbarrel49

Re: Turn of Events

Post by overbarrel49 »

but then, what do parents know, right?................LOL
but then, what do parents know, right?................LOL
002.jpg (371.41 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Turn of Events

Post by web-ed »

Well, we're off to a promising start as our newlyweds have been given some good parental advice - which they promptly ignore :lol: . What "A Custom Fit" means to me is that there are a multitude of ways to fit spanking into a marriage, and our young groom here is going to have to figure that our for himself, it appears.

Incidentally, Phil, you can split these posts off into a new topic if you wish from your Moderator Control Panel.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Re: A Custom Fit

Post by overbarrel49 »

web-ed wrote:Well, we're off to a promising start as our newlyweds have been given some good parental advice - which they promptly ignore :lol: . What "A Custom Fit" means to me is that there are a multitude of ways to fit spanking into a marriage, and our young groom here is going to have to figure that our for himself, it appears.
hi web-ed,

yeah, i was betting on promptly ignore all the way.........it just seemed reasonable from my own past history :lol: i would agree with your definition of custom fit 100%. there are as many tastes in spanking and spanking relationships are there are people participating so you need a custom fit to make both partners happy..............even if the weren't originally thinking about including spanking :lol: . Steve will indeed have to figure this out for himself and, due to his lack of experience i think he's going for a more direct approach than his dad had recommended 8-) :lol: .
web-ed wrote:Incidentally, Phil, you can split these posts off into a new topic if you wish from your Moderator Control Panel.
thanks for the heads up on that. i had fully intended to start a new topic for this before posting them but just completely forgot.................habit i guess :roll: . i had just discovered my mistake and was wondering what the best way to fix it was so your info about the moderator control panel was very timely and i have fixed it now :D . thanks, phil
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

I know this is only fantasy but there is always trouble when parents interfere in a newlywed couple's affairs & this has trouble written all over it! :roll:
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

willjohn wrote:I know this is only fantasy but there is always trouble when parents interfere in a newlywed couple's affairs & this has trouble written all over it! :roll:
hi Willjohn,

well, i don't know that the parents are interfering as much as advising here but i'm betting that somebody's bottom is gonna be in trouble here pretty soon :lol: . thanks, phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hi... It looks like both Steve and Tina are in a doubting mood. Neither wants to agree with their parents that spankings have a place in marriage. :D

But the parents are convinced that, not only are spankings appropriate in a marriage, they are necessary! It sure looks like both women (Tina and her mother-in-law-to-be) will be on the receiving end of a spanking (or two or three) during the run of "A Custom Fit." Lookin' forward to seeing that, and also hopin' that each spanking will have an audience! :D

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote:Hi... It looks like both Steve and Tina are in a doubting mood. Neither wants to agree with their parents that spankings have a place in marriage. :D
hi Dan,

yeah, i've heard it said that young people will often ignore advice from their parents :lol: . after all, they wouldn't want to learn from their parents mistakes when they can make them themselves :lol: .
daneldorado wrote:But the parents are convinced that, not only are spankings appropriate in a marriage, they are necessary! It sure looks like both women (Tina and her mother-in-law-to-be) will be on the receiving end of a spanking (or two or three) during the run of "A Custom Fit." Lookin' forward to seeing that, and also hopin' that each spanking will have an audience! :D
we will see how the story unfolds.............i wouldn't want to give too much away this early 8-) . we still have a couple more set up pics which i will post on Friday. i'm glad you like it so far though :D . thanks, phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Ahhh yes! I love it when you do Romantic Comedy! Romantic Comedy spankings are my favorite kind, and you're so good at it!

So... here we have a couple who are just about to get married... each one getting some last-minute parental advice... the bride from her mother and the groom from his father. And both her mother and his father have some experiential knowledge regarding marital spankings!

I can see several directions you could go from this beginning... maybe even including flashbacks of the two sets of parents when they first got married. As for Tina... :D :D :D :D I can tell already... THAT GIRL IS HEADED TOWARDS A SPANKING! But there's a question there too... Is her man going to wait until their honeymoon and spank her in the privacy of the cabin, or will she provoke him beyond all reasonable patience at the reception and find herself getting embarrassed (and maybe even em-BARE-ASSED :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) in front of all the guests?

Whether the spanking takes place in public or private... I'm hoping that it will begin with Tina still in her wedding dress!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hugob00m wrote:Ahhh yes! I love it when you do Romantic Comedy! Romantic Comedy spankings are my favorite kind, and you're so good at it!
hi Boom,

thanks for the compliment :D . i think you and i are kindred spirits when it comes to the romance of spanking ;) .
hugob00m wrote: So... here we have a couple who are just about to get married... each one getting some last-minute parental advice... the bride from her mother and the groom from his father. And both her mother and his father have some experiential knowledge regarding marital spankings!
yeah, they are each getting some good advice from their parents.............including some about spanking. too bad kids have a tendency to ignore such advice :lol: .
hugob00m wrote:I can see several directions you could go from this beginning... maybe even including flashbacks of the two sets of parents when they first got married. As for Tina... :D :D :D :D I can tell already... THAT GIRL IS HEADED TOWARDS A SPANKING! But there's a question there too... Is her man going to wait until their honeymoon and spank her in the privacy of the cabin, or will she provoke him beyond all reasonable patience at the reception and find herself getting embarrassed (and maybe even em-BARE-ASSED :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) in front of all the guests?
yep, there are indeed several directions that this could go but i'm not telling at this point :lol: . it's funny how just starting a fantasy like this one gets everyone's imagination going :D .
hugob00m wrote:Whether the spanking takes place in public or private... I'm hoping that it will begin with Tina still in her wedding dress!
again, i'm not telling but i will say that some of the questions will be answered on Friday when i post the next installment 8-). i am glad this beginning got everyone to fantasizing about this situation though :D . thanks, phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Steve thinks she may be a bit pushy
Steve thinks she may be a bit pushy
003.jpg (350.22 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
hi everyone,

i have posted 2 pics again this week to finish setting up the new toon :D . sometimes it takes young people a long time to realize just how smart their folks were but i think Steve is already starting to suspect that his dad was right........at least about some things.......... :lol: . i hope you enjoy this week's episode. phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Ok, now he's sure
Ok, now he's sure
004.jpg (377.93 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Wow! Her nagging would be just about enough to dirve any man nuts! He didn't dust befire vacuuming... He cut the grass too short... And (GASP!) he put the clothes on the hanger facing the wrong way! Yeah. There are some women who think that such "rules" about housework were handed down on stone tablets along with the Ten Commandments. Of course, we men think, just as long as stuff gets cleaned... what does it matter which way clothes are facing on the hanger?

Perhaps, as seems to be the case in this story... these houswork "rules" are just a way for the woman to estblish dominance. And, in Tina's case, it just isn't going to work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And... there's always that OTHER reason to spank a woman! ;) ;) ;) ;) You've drawn Tina with a nice little target, and I think her man is going to REALLY ENJOY spanking her!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hugob00m wrote:Post by hugob00m » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:42 pm
Wow! Her nagging would be just about enough to dirve any man nuts! He didn't dust befire vacuuming... He cut the grass too short... And (GASP!) he put the clothes on the hanger facing the wrong way! Yeah. There are some women who think that such "rules" about housework were handed down on stone tablets along with the Ten Commandments. Of course, we men think, just as long as stuff gets cleaned... what does it matter which way clothes are facing on the hanger?
hi Boom,

yep, it would drive a man nuts and coincidentally, that's just what mom was trying to tell her :lol: . those are all things i have run across in my own experience btw. i will say that they were presented in a different manner with a different attitude, however or there would have been some blistered bottoms included 8-) . i DO hang the clothes on the hangers facing the way Karen wants them. my reaction when she first mentioned this was, "what the hell is the difference". on further reflection, however, i could see a couple of good reasons for complying...........1)because it keeps both of us doing it the same way and 2) because she asked me nicely to do this for her and didn't give orders or boss me around. i cut the grass how i like however :lol: . i don't mind doing things her way, especially when it comes to housework since that is one of her areas of responsibility. i do mind being ordered, bossed around or given some "attitude" and in those cases, red bottom cheeks were often the result ;) .
hugob00m wrote:Perhaps, as seems to be the case in this story... these houswork "rules" are just a way for the woman to estblish dominance. And, in Tina's case, it just isn't going to work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
it's certainly not going to work the way Tina's been going at it and i think she's about to figure that out..............the hard way :lol: .
hugob00m wrote:And... there's always that OTHER reason to spank a woman! ;) ;) ;) ;) You've drawn Tina with a nice little target, and I think her man is going to REALLY ENJOY spanking her!
there again, Steve may not realize that yet but i think he's about to figure it out 8-) :lol: . glad you're enjoying the toon so far :D. thanks, phil
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Jesus wept! Does she ever shut up? Only two ways to go here, a bare arsed spanking or a divorce!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

willjohn wrote:Jesus wept! Does she ever shut up? Only two ways to go here, a bare arsed spanking or a divorce!
hi Willjohn,

i have to admit that i chuckled for several minutes after reading your post :lol: :lol: :lol: . i guess i might have overdone it a bit on tina's complaining.........i'm gonna call that "exaggerating for effect" :lol: . she'll be shutting up any minute now 8-) . thanks, phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Wow! Little Tina is on a tear, nagging her new hubby like a shrewish termagant. Although this story is printed on a page, I swear I could hear that nagging in my ears! This is due to your outstanding artwork, including the captions.

And speaking of captions... Looks to me as if you, Phil, are challenging our friend b00m with your loquacious speech balloons. For years, b00m has drawn panels in which the people seem to be secondary, while the huge speech balloons slowly take over the whole panel. Now, in A Custom Fit, you're doing the same thing! Ah well, as long as your prose is this well-written, your methods probably won't inspire any demonstrations outside your door.

Looking good, Phil. Can hardly wait for the spanking(s) to begin!

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote:Wow! Little Tina is on a tear, nagging her new hubby like a shrewish termagant. Although this story is printed on a page, I swear I could hear that nagging in my ears! This is due to your outstanding artwork, including the captions.
hi Dan,

yeah, as i have mentioned to some other folks, i might have overdone it a bit on her nagging and as i told Willjohn, i'm calling it "exaggerating for effect" :lol: . i'm sorry if it was so bad that you could actually hear it :o :lol: :lol: .
daneldorado wrote:And speaking of captions... Looks to me as if you, Phil, are challenging our friend b00m with your loquacious speech balloons. For years, b00m has drawn panels in which the people seem to be secondary, while the huge speech balloons slowly take over the whole panel. Now, in A Custom Fit, you're doing the same thing! Ah well, as long as your prose is this well-written, your methods probably won't inspire any demonstrations outside your door.
yeah, again, you are not the only one to mention this. Dave Wolfe commented that i might consider using a separate page for the dialog. it seems to me that my toons have similarities with comic books as i do them now except that the people who publish comic books are less wordy :lol: . in this case, i figured it was ok on the first 4 pics since there wasn't any action anyway...............just people standing and talking...........and i wanted to make sure everyone knew what was going on. when we get to the spanking, hopefully i will be able to restrain myself and keep the dialog to a minimun ;) .
daneldorado wrote: Looking good, Phil. Can hardly wait for the spanking(s) to begin!
that should be coming right up..............or at least the spanking process :D thanks, phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

daneldorado wrote:Looks to me as if you, Phil, are challenging our friend b00m with your loquacious speech balloons. For years, b00m has drawn panels in which the people seem to be secondary, while the huge speech balloons slowly take over the whole panel.
I'll admit that Dan is right about me. I have looked back at some of my cartoons and realized that, in some cases, what I used a whole paragraph to say could've been condensed to a couple od sentences. However... in this case, I don't believe you're guilty of the same verbosity as I tend to be. The point here is to emphasize how unbearable Tina's nagging has become, and I think you've succeeded.
daneldorado wrote:I swear I could hear that nagging in my ears!
Yes. You have been quite effective on portraying the young lady's shrillness in print. She is clearly earning the punishment she's about to get! :D :D :D :D
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:Jesus wept! Does she ever shut up? Only two ways to go here, a bare arsed spanking or a divorce!
Being rather socially conservative, Willjohn, I can't support a divorce under these circumstances. Therefore, by a process of elimination, it will simply have to be "a bare arsed spanking" :lol: !

I got here rather late in the day I'm afraid, Phil, so everyone else has already covered the main points. As an expert on the comics medium :ugeek: , I will add my two cents' worth on the question of the "loquacious speech balloons," however. In general, it's very easy to overwrite comics, because depending on the size of the panel, there are two hazards to watch out for: (1) Writing so many lines that the art is obscured, or (2) Writing so many lines that the pace of the story, which is controlled largely by how fast the reader moves from panel to panel, is slowed down too much (of course the difference in subject matter between successive panels also controls the pacing) .

The first of these shouldn't be a problem for the artist/writer, since he presumably will not cover up the best portion of his artwork with a lot of speech balloons! The second is more tricky - I have found that a rather "standard" sized panel in a comic book, say 1/6 to 1/4 of a page, really only has room for two or three rather short lines of dialogue. In fact, probably the greatest limitation of the comics medium is that it cannot sustain extended dialogue the way the stage play and the movie can (the play and the movie being closer to comics than prose or poetry are). Early comic strips really struggled with this, and featured tiny panels crowded with dialogue balloons because you had so little space on a newspaper page. [In the 1980's, Alan Moore showed that you could however sneak in extended monologues by switching to first-person narration and using captions instead of balloons. This has some pitfalls of its own we don't need to get into here.]

Still, I think your crowded panels are defensible here for two reasons: first, they are largely expository, thus it's o.k. for the forward motion of the story to be slowed down a bit, and second, although this is surely the comics medium it's not exactly a comic book, and therefore perhaps the rules can be stretched a bit. Digital formatting provides both opportunities and limitations that I don't think anyone, even myself, has given enough serious thought to. Maybe the presentation on the computer is different enough to constitute a third branch of comics, along with the strip and the book - or maybe I'm making too much of this and eventually digital comics will come to be seen as no different than the strip or the graphic novel.

Anyway, I'm sure the panels will be less crowded as the action begins to pick up and Tina learns the hard way the truths her mother tried to tell her. :)
-- Web-Ed