Good Marks

The cartoons of Overbarrel. Reader comments strongly desired!

Moderator: overbarrel49

Forum rules
Only Overbarrel's art and relevant comments should be posted here.
overbarrel49

Re: Good Marks

Post by overbarrel49 »

willjohn wrote:Nice legs, promise of things to come.
Hi Willjohn,

I'm glad you enjoyed the view of her legs 8-) . I thought it was an important part of the pic, which is why I posted the plain pic this time ;) .
willjohn wrote:Flimsy knickers will not last for long.
You are right.......and I think she knows that :lol: . Thanks, Phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

web-ed wrote:Oh yeah, those sheer panties provide very little protection from a spanking - besides, they'll be coming down before too long :twisted: !
Hi web-ed,

I think we all agree with you on this point :lol: . In this case, those sheer panties are a calculated risk on Barb's part :roll: .
web-ed wrote: As for the words: well, here is the great limitation of the comics medium, which we've discussed before and I think here in your gallery - extended dialogue, Shakespearean soliloquies, etc. just don't work very well. You can manage them in prose, in classical drama, and if you're careful, in modern drama, but not in comics because each panel offers only so much space before you're stomping all over the visual elements. I remember when Will Eisner did Hamelt's famous soliloquy from Act III in comics form for a demonstration, he had to stretch it out over many panels, varying the character's posture the whole while, in order to make it work at all.
Yeah, I think you are right. Dave Wolfe suggested to me that I might consider putting the words on a separate page in situations like this one where I am attempting to tell a detailed story. I'm not sure just how that might work and I was thinking about getting Dave to give me a more detailed explanation of how to do this. On the one hand, I want to get in all the necessary details but on the other hand I don't want to turn this into an illustrated story. Of course, most of my stories don't have so many words in them.
web-ed wrote:We even saw an example a few weeks ago, with the remake of "I Met My Master" as "A Man for Amy" where the second artist left less space at the top of some of his panels than Joe Maneely did in the earlier version, forcing the letterer to trim some of Stan Lee's dialogue. (Link here for reference).

It's a tough nut here, Phil, so I'll just say "thanks" for including the plain version for everyone to study.
For the remainder of this toon I may just include the plain pics anywhere I think they are necessary. After that, I'll just have to see how things go in future toons. Thanks, Phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Web-ed wrote:
As for the words: well, here is the great limitation of the comics medium, which we've discussed before and I think here in your gallery - extended dialogue, Shakespearean soliloquies, etc. just don't work very well.
This "wordiness" is the bane of comic strip artists everywhere... but it can be overcome. The idea is for the artist to realize, right from the start, that he or she will perforce be restricted in the amount of verbiage so that the artwork is not overwhelmed. A few years ago, when b00m was publishing his OTKatie toons, many panels would contain so many words, they would crowd out the pictures. I think I did point that out to him once, and he did not take it well, so I never brought it up again. I probably shouldn't be carping about Phil's work now, but this time at least I am not the first one to bring it up. :|

Perhaps the best approach is for us to admit that anything we want to say can always be said in fewer words. By all means, if you have something important to say, say it. But let us never forget that in cartooning, the pictures are the most important thing.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote:This "wordiness" is the bane of comic strip artists everywhere... but it can be overcome. The idea is for the artist to realize, right from the start, that he or she will perforce be restricted in the amount of verbiage so that the artwork is not overwhelmed. A few years ago, when b00m was publishing his OTKatie toons, many panels would contain so many words, they would crowd out the pictures. I think I did point that out to him once, and he did not take it well, so I never brought it up again. I probably shouldn't be carping about Phil's work now, but this time at least I am not the first one to bring it up. :|
Hi Dan,

The problem with restricting the dialog in my toons is that these are usually taken from my fantasies, many of which are quite detailed. Also, while I can do some things to limit the number of words, the thoughts and feelings of the players are just as important as the artwork. In this case, where the girls are discussing all this, the dialog is often the most arousing part, which makes it even more difficult to find places to make cuts. Perhaps what I need is a different format, rather than the comic book style that I normally use but I can't imagine what that would be. As far as your comments go, this is all a valid discussion, which I pretty much started myself and I see no reason for you to refrain for saying what's on your mind.........especially considering your experience in such matters ;) . Thanks, Phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: the Problem of Extended Dialogue

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:The problem with restricting the dialog in my toons is that these are usually taken from my fantasies, many of which are quite detailed. Also, while I can do some things to limit the number of words, the thoughts and feelings of the players are just as important as the artwork. In this case, where the girls are discussing all this, the dialog is often the most arousing part, which makes it even more difficult to find places to make cuts. Perhaps what I need is a different format, rather than the comic book style that I normally use but I can't imagine what that would be.
I wanted to make sure this point is emphasized, Phil, which is why I've quoted it above. The inability of comics to sustain extended dialogue is, in my opinion, the great weakness of the medium. It may even be a fatal weakness in that I remain unconvinced comics can reach the artistic heights of other literary forms. The fact is there's plenty of "talk" in most good stories. Let's take a well-known example from perhaps the greatest play ever written, and see what happened when Will Eisner, creator of The Spirit and Blackhawk, as an experiment once attempted to render Hamlet's famous soliloquy (Act III, scene 1) into comics form:

Copyright 1985 Will Eisner. First published in June 1981 (Web-Ed's collection).

I think Eisner pulled it off pretty well, although we should remember he was trying to show young artists how the expressive use of body posture and facial expressions becomes more difficult as the accompanying words become more significant - you really can't edit Will Shakespeare down to make more room for your drawing! - rather than attempting to adapt the entire play. Can you imagine how many pages of art would be required to get us through all five acts of the play? :o

As a writer, I can state from experience that even when writing pure prose (fiction) you need to be as economical as you can, although there's no need to overdo it as I think Hemingway did, for example. At the same time, however, without extended dialogue you're going to be severely hamstrung. You won't get very far in drama without some good speeches, although Hollywood tries by substituting karate-chopping and things being blown up for human interaction (you might say by substituting directing for writing). It doesn't succeed.

I have only scripted one issue of a comic book, and while I over-wrote it slightly, since I was already an experienced writer by that time I didn't do it too badly, and I quickly learned from the finished pages just how much could be fit into one panel (the comic's name cannot be revealed here, alas). I had several M/F and F/F spankings planned for mainly humorous effect in the future, but sadly the first issue was also the last so they were never drawn.

Back to our original problem: I can't really suggest a good solution as I can't think of another way for you to tell the kind of stories you want to. You could do basically illustrated stories like Hal Foster did with Prince Valiant, but I think you'd still have exactly the same problem with getting the necessary dialogue in. Perhaps the best you can do is continue as you have done, making any small changes you can to minimize the difficulty with the dialogue.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

I just had to chime in and say that I appreciate the nice back and forth dialogue on this topic. My own thought would be that it's important for Phil to stay true to his fantasies. I would think that's the fun part! (In fact I know it's the fun part.) I really enjoyed the pictures of the three girls just lazing around and talking about spanking. That was very sexy. I also thoroughly enjoyed both versions of the latest chapter. I think you made a good-call in offering the plain view minus the dialogue as it allowed for a very attractive shot of our spankee to be. Thanks for contributing in such a happy way to my life in spanking.
Phil (Sweetspot)
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Sweetspot wrote:I just had to chime in and say that I appreciate the nice back and forth dialogue on this topic. My own thought would be that it's important for Phil to stay true to his fantasies. I would think that's the fun part! (In fact I know it's the fun part.) I really enjoyed the pictures of the three girls just lazing around and talking about spanking. That was very sexy.
Hi Phil,

I think your comments above have hit at the heart of my problem. On the one hand, I want the pics to be big enough to show as much detail as possible and on the other hand, even though I have a tendency to be wordy, I still want to get as much detail in the dialog as possible.......and all in one pic. I always have a problem limiting the dialog in my pics but since we've gotten to the girls discussing their spankings, the problem has intensified. I always wanted to know what girls discussing their spankings would be like and I always found fantasizing about it to be very arousing.......just as these talks no doubt are for the girls involved in them. I think that what makes these discussions so arousing is the realism of the details they are talking about so I find it difficult to find places to make even minor cuts in the dialog. I also don't want to do many more pics so I can spread the dialog out because I only have so much time and the pics do take some time to complete. Perhaps posting the plain pics when the dialog is excessive is the best solution I can come up with. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics of the girls talking. There's no spanking action in the pics themselves but I did think they were necessary to keep the story flowing and it's nice to know not everyone was bored with this part :D .
Sweetspot wrote:I also thoroughly enjoyed both versions of the latest chapter. I think you made a good-call in offering the plain view minus the dialogue as it allowed for a very attractive shot of our spankee to be. Thanks for contributing in such a happy way to my life in spanking.
Phil (Sweetspot)
Thanks for your comments about this. It just seemed a shame to cover up so much of Barb and I thought this way we could enjoy looking at her 8-) .As I said, I may include the plain version in some other posts if I think it's necessary. I'm glad you're enjoying the story :D . Thanks, Phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi everyone,

As Barb continues with her narrative, it appears that the time has come for her to summon her courage and follow through with her plan :oops: .........hesitantly :lol: . I hope you enjoy the new pic . Phil
moment of truth
moment of truth
060.jpg (384.17 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Although I didn't have any of Barb's body covered up this time and it's not nearly as bad as the last one, I still thought it was worth posting the plain pic again. Phil
Attachments
060 pl.jpg
060 pl.jpg (308.65 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Good Marks #60

Post by web-ed »

Two observations, Phil:

1. It certainly looks like you were keeping in mind last week's conversation regarding long speeches, for you managed to get the speech balloons here well below the characters in the main part of the composition. I think we're glad to have the wordless panel version also, but it's less necessary this time around since our view of spanker and spankee is unobstructed. And speaking of that view:

2. This situation is unbelievably hot :shock: ! That moment when the spankee knows she has no choice but to surrender completely and go over the spanker's knee is probably what females most fantasize about. I think you did a very good job at rendering that "weak in the knees" feeling on Barb's face every woman experiences just before her spanking begins. And of course there's not a red-blooded male in this audience that wouldn't love to be in Phil's place just about now (I see you must feel the same way since you named this character after yourself (and Phil Sweetspot, of course)) :lol: !

And congratulations on the one-year anniversary of Good Marks! :D I was a little premature with this last week, but I checked again and this chronicle of collegiate corporal punishment began on Friday March 11, 2016. This one deserves to go into the book of spanking world records!
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

web-ed wrote:Two observations, Phil:

1. It certainly looks like you were keeping in mind last week's conversation regarding long speeches, for you managed to get the speech balloons here well below the characters in the main part of the composition. I think we're glad to have the wordless panel version also, but it's less necessary this time around since our view of spanker and spankee is unobstructed. And speaking of that view:
Hi web-ed,

Part of the problem with last week's pic was that it was poorly planned. I wanted to make the shot a close as possible which left no room for words without covering up Barb's legs. This week's installment was better from that perspective and I was able to get the words on the pic without covering up our spanker and spankee. Sometimes, even though the words aren't in the way of the pic, the added clutter they cause spoils the overall look of the pic and that's why I decided to post the plain version this time. It just seemed to me that adding the words on this one ruined the overall feel of this pic. In the plain version, with all the empty space surrounding our spanking couple, I get the feel of the privacy of this moment between them and I think that is largely lost once the words are added. Of course, that could just be me.
web-ed wrote:2. This situation is unbelievably hot :shock: ! That moment when the spankee knows she has no choice but to surrender completely and go over the spanker's knee is probably what females most fantasize about. I think you did a very good job at rendering that "weak in the knees" feeling on Barb's face every woman experiences just before her spanking begins. And of course there's not a red-blooded male in this audience that wouldn't love to be in Phil's place just about now (I see you must feel the same way since you named this character after yourself (and Phil Sweetspot, of course)) :lol: !
I'm glad to hear that you think this pic is hot :D . I agree with you and I think this kind of submission is quite arousing for both spanker and spankee. When both partners realize that the spankee is exposed, vulnerable and about to submit to having her bare bottom spanked, they are each having different emotional reactions even though both find it arousing. I have to think that your theory that most girls fantasize about the moment when they have to crawl over their spanker's lap is probably right on the money. Our college friends will be discussing this to a certain extent as Barb goes on with her story 8-) . Thanks for the compliment on Barb's "weak in the knees" expression :D . I thought it worked well in this situation too. I'm sure all of us would love to be in Phil's position right now. Having been in this position before, I can say that it's sometimes hard to maintain a determined expression when my natural tendency is to grin like a Cheshire cat :lol: .
web-ed wrote:And congratulations on the one-year anniversary of Good Marks! :D I was a little premature with this last week, but I checked again and this chronicle of collegiate corporal punishment began on Friday March 11, 2016. This one deserves to go into the book of spanking world records!
It really wasn't my intention to use up an entire year on this toon but, as I've said before, sometimes these stories take on a life of their own :lol: . Besides, it didn't really seem to matter just how long it was and I didn't hear anyone complaining 8-) . Thanks, Phil
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Nice, very nice and both editions are very hot! This is just how I imagine, in a best case scenario, the moments before a discipline or consensual spanking should look and sound!

Phil S.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Sweetspot wrote:Nice, very nice and both editions are very hot! This is just how I imagine, in a best case scenario, the moments before a discipline or consensual spanking should look and sound!

Phil S.
Hi Phil,

I'm glad you think I got this one right :D . From the comments I've been getting, both men and women are finding this one to be hot 8-) . I just love it when folks can make a connection with one of my pics. Thanks, Phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi everyone,

It looks like Barb has done all she can to control the intensity of her spanking and has now turned that control over to Phil :D .........by turning herself over 8-) ......HEH HEH! I hope you enjoy the new pic. Phil
bottoms up
bottoms up
061.jpg (352.14 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Phil.

It's been a while since I had a chance to log in, so I'm going to comment on your recent posts, starting with the first panel of Barb's narrative.

Wow! I really loved panel 59! (the one with and the one without dialog!) The one with dialog gives us the context of the picture within the overall context of the story, and lets us know what Barb's thoughts were at the time and after the fact. The one without dialog gives us a clear view of Barb's legs... and her cute round posterior! And those nearly-see-through panties! Heh heh! Even if she had left them on, she wouldn't have had much protection from a spanking! I'm reminded of something that was said on Danny Kaye's old T.V. show in the '60s. I don't remember the exact words, but it was to the effect of, "I'll wear something diaphanous to distract him." And the response: "No. He'll see right through it!"

She's doing her best to show him how submissive she is, to lessen the severity of the inevitable spanking she knows she deserves to get. Will it work? Actually, I sort of hope so! She hasn't been as naughty as Xandra or Anne, and she doesn't need to be punished as harshly as they did. On the other hand... I definitely wanted to see her turned over her boyfriend's knee, just because the target area is too good to neglect!

Panel 61 shows her in position to be spanked! Yummy! Just what I've been wanting to see! And I notice that, at least for the moment, Phil has set the ruler aside. Oh yes! If I was in his place, I would definitely want to feel some hand-to-buttock contact!

Great new developments in your story! Lots of fun! (Well... except for the spankees! Heh heh!)
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Good Marks #61

Post by web-ed »

Oh wow, Phil - you've provided us with many fine OTK scenes over the years, but you've certainly never surpassed this combination of bottom-up OTK positioning with a superbly rounded and proportioned rear end! :D This is the scene we've been waiting for, oh, ever since Barb made her first appearance wearing jeans that struggled to contain her generously-proportioned posterior :lol: . I'm not sure how many hours you had to work on Barb's figure here, but however many it was, it was worth it! If I were building an Overbarrel Gallery over on the main site (unnecessary since this one here is easier for you to deal with) I would be strongly tempted to use this panel as the - I'm not sure what the word is! - frontspiece perhaps, for it. (Every CSR Gallery index page has a photo or drawing on it to symbolize what it is before we get to the thumbnails).

Now we get to watch as Barb must hold her beautiful behind high up in the air while Phil reddens it with a good dose of his palm. And of course the ruler is always there should he need it. This is spanking! :)
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Frontispiece? Or maybe, a logo?

Right you are, Web-ed. This lovely work of art belongs on the front page of something.

I agree with everything you said about this magnum opus. Oh, maybe the position of Phil's right hand, in the OTK panel. To each his own and all that, but I would like to see his hand about three inches higher. Otherwise, it could look as if he is launching a thigh spanking. "Lisa," the girl I spanked most often in my scene days, told me that a thigh spanking is about twenty times harder than a spanking on her butt, and she recommended that I spank her bottom rather than the top of her legs. Come to think of it, somewhere I have a DVD in which Claire Fonda describes the perfect target as "right on the jeans pocket." I think she's right.

Phil O, you are the master when it comes to OTK placement. You've got Barb positioned perfectly over Phil's (not you... the other Phil :D ) lap, her stance is ideally placed for a solid ass-warming. I don't care if Web-ed says your "Good Marks" story is over one year old now, hell, let's make it TWO years! This quality of spanking toons should not hide under a bushel.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hugob00m wrote:Wow! I really loved panel 59! (the one with and the one without dialog!) The one with dialog gives us the context of the picture within the overall context of the story, and lets us know what Barb's thoughts were at the time and after the fact. The one without dialog gives us a clear view of Barb's legs... and her cute round posterior! And those nearly-see-through panties! Heh heh! Even if she had left them on, she wouldn't have had much protection from a spanking! I'm reminded of something that was said on Danny Kaye's old T.V. show in the '60s. I don't remember the exact words, but it was to the effect of, "I'll wear something diaphanous to distract him." And the response: "No. He'll see right through it!"
Hi Boom,

I'm glad you enjoyed pic 59. I personally thought it was a very stirring pic 8-) . I was particularly pleased by your comment that you enjoyed both the one with the dialog and the plain pic :D . On the one hand, I thought the dialog was absolutely necessary to keep the story flowing but on the other hand, the plain pic tells a story all by itself and almost doesn't need any dialog. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought this pic was pretty arousing in both forms :D . I had to laugh at your story from Danny Kaye's TV show :lol: .
hugob00m wrote:She's doing her best to show him how submissive she is, to lessen the severity of the inevitable spanking she knows she deserves to get. Will it work? Actually, I sort of hope so! She hasn't been as naughty as Xandra or Anne, and she doesn't need to be punished as harshly as they did. On the other hand... I definitely wanted to see her turned over her boyfriend's knee, just because the target area is too good to neglect!
I've been getting comments from viewers that they would like to see Barb spanked ever since she first appeared in her jeans early in the toon. While many of these people thought she really deserved to get a blistered bottom, I never did really think she did anything all that bad. I have a hunch that her shapely spank spot is the real reason everyone wanted to see her get a spanking :lol: .
hugob00m wrote:Panel 61 shows her in position to be spanked! Yummy! Just what I've been wanting to see! And I notice that, at least for the moment, Phil has set the ruler aside. Oh yes! If I was in his place, I would definitely want to feel some hand-to-buttock contact!

Great new developments in your story! Lots of fun! (Well... except for the spankees! Heh heh!)
I really liked the view of Barb in place, OTK, waiting for her spanking and I was hoping everyone else would too :D . There's something about that magnificent bottom sticking up and those legs dangling that just appeals to me 8-) . I agree with you that I would be wanting to spank her with my hand too.......for that more intimate feeling 8-) . I'm glad you've been enjoying this toon :D . Thanks, Phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

web-ed wrote:Oh wow, Phil - you've provided us with many fine OTK scenes over the years, but you've certainly never surpassed this combination of bottom-up OTK positioning with a superbly rounded and proportioned rear end! :D This is the scene we've been waiting for, oh, ever since Barb made her first appearance wearing jeans that struggled to contain her generously-proportioned posterior :lol: . I'm not sure how many hours you had to work on Barb's figure here, but however many it was, it was worth it! If I were building an Overbarrel Gallery over on the main site (unnecessary since this one here is easier for you to deal with) I would be strongly tempted to use this panel as the - I'm not sure what the word is! - frontspiece perhaps, for it. (Every CSR Gallery index page has a photo or drawing on it to symbolize what it is before we get to the thumbnails).
Hi web-ed,

As I told Boom, there's something about the combination of her round rear end sticking up and he feet dangling that I find very appealing and I'm happy to hear that you did too :D . Your comment that this is the scene we've been waiting for goes right along with what I told Boom about viewers wanting to see Barb get a spanking ever since they first saw her in her jeans...........I think we have general agreement on this issue:lol: I'm also pleased that you think this view is one of my best :D . From the comments I've been getting, it appears that this one is going to be a favorite :D .
web-ed wrote:Now we get to watch as Barb must hold her beautiful behind high up in the air while Phil reddens it with a good dose of his palm. And of course the ruler is always there should he need it. This is spanking! :)
We will indeed be watching as her spanking proceeds and I hope everyone will enjoy it 8-) . Thanks, Phil
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

daneldorado wrote:Frontispiece? Or maybe, a logo?

Right you are, Web-ed. This lovely work of art belongs on the front page of something.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the nice compliment. All I did was to do a pic that I found appealing and it looks like other folks agree :D .
daneldorado wrote:I agree with everything you said about this magnum opus. Oh, maybe the position of Phil's right hand, in the OTK panel. To each his own and all that, but I would like to see his hand about three inches higher. Otherwise, it could look as if he is launching a thigh spanking. "Lisa," the girl I spanked most often in my scene days, told me that a thigh spanking is about twenty times harder than a spanking on her butt, and she recommended that I spank her bottom rather than the top of her legs. Come to think of it, somewhere I have a DVD in which Claire Fonda describes the perfect target as "right on the jeans pocket." I think she's right.
Don't be concerned about the placement of Phil's right hand. He's just enjoying feeling around.........and demonstrating his dominance to miss Barb 8-) . With an ample ass like that for a target, he won't be thinking about any thigh spanking ;) . The spanking will indeed be right where that jeans pocket would be :D .
daneldorado wrote:Phil O, you are the master when it comes to OTK placement. You've got Barb positioned perfectly over Phil's (not you... the other Phil :D ) lap, her stance is ideally placed for a solid ass-warming. I don't care if Web-ed says your "Good Marks" story is over one year old now, hell, let's make it TWO years! This quality of spanking toons should not hide under a bushel.

Cheers,
Dan
Again, thanks for the nice comments :D . I do think the proper OTK placement is really key to a good spanking pic and in this case, I wanted to show that Barb knows, from prior experience, just how Phil wants her to position herself 8-) . I spent a lot of time planning this one and getting the camera angle right so it's nice to know everyone thinks it turned out so good :D . I had never intended for this toon to last for a year and I doubt it will make it for a second one. On the other hand, it's not over yet and you never can tell just what might come up ;) . Thanks, Phil