Humorama Artists Who Should Have Done Spankers

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Humorama Artists Who Should Have Done Spankers

Post by web-ed »

This might seem light a pretty thin excuse for an article - in fact, I'm not even doing it in the "Articles" section of the main site - but because I now have something like 27,000 pages of Humorama digests in my basement, I thought some people might like to see the work of Humorama artists who didn't do any spanking cartoons, but should have.

1. First up is this four-panel work that was originally spread over the bottom half of two successive pages in the May 1965 issue of Zip. I'm not sure who the artist is - maybe "Isigo" - but he gives us a variation on a gag we've probably seen before (I wonder who first came up with it?): doctor gives a plain-looking woman a shot in the arm, beckons a young, sexy thing into the office, and when she emerges we see he gave her the shot in her gluteus maximus! Not quite a spanking, but sort of in the same ballpark - ouch! :D

2. Somewhat similar is the gag with a slingshot or pea-shooter used to deliver a stinging missile right on target. In this case, it's the relatively tame water pistol, taken from a May 1963 digest (I forgot which). The artist here is Robert Q. Sale (Siegel), who did that excellent Combat Casey / Torchy Finnegan spanking in Combat Casey #7. Sale shows once again that he knows how to draw a sexy girl, making us wish he had done a sexy spankee! I'll probably use this one again when I write up the history of the spanking cartoon - this kind of gag is sort of a precursor to the true "spanker".

3. Felix Andrews did only a few cartoons for Humorama, but I've included him here because he did a spanking cartoon for a non-Humorama publication which I thought was pretty sexy. If he could do it over there, why couldn't he have done one for Humorama, where editor Abe Goodman was known to be sympathetic to spanking (and I believe he was in fact a true spanko).
I'm not sure what the gag is here, unless the well-endowed Indian lass is about to be groped.

4. Davy Berg is best remembered today as a long-time humor cartoonist for MAD. He was something of a prodigy, having entered the Pratt Institute at the age of twelve. He worked at MAD's publisher EC back when they were doing four-color comics, but I never felt he was a good fit in their non-humor books. He was a fair humor cartoonist and I'd say a good girlie cartoonist as we'll see below. He did in fact do one comic-book spanking - Alice spanked or nearly spanked by her own enlarged rag doll in Alice #10 - but I never posted it because Alice is about 10 years old (refer to the Comics Spanking Data Base for more details - it isn't hard to find this one on the 'net if you want to see it). Here he gives us one of Humorama's few bare bottoms, but alas, it isn't being spanked :( .

5. Jefferson Machamer was one of the prolific mainstays of Humorama, from perhaps the late 40's through the 50's. I really think he may have had almost as many cartoons in the digests during those years as Bill Ward did! He had an interesting and distinctive style (our friend Jim Linderman has sung his praises over at Vintage Sleaze) - his women look like modern-day female body builders, who didn't exist at the time, and they all have Vulcan-style pointed ears, even though Machamer died in 1960 - years before Star Trek! His great weakness is in his gags - they're just not funny, and many times the women seem to be in a peevish mood, unjustified by anything I can see. The feeble gag in this cartoon, about not being able to charge on a checking account, is actually one of his better efforts.

Machamer lived through the first four years of spanking cartoons at Humorama, yet never did one himself - why will probably always remain a mystery.

An inside joke - the reading material on the coffee table consists of various Humorama digests. :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Re: Humorama Artists Who Should Have Done Spankers

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

interesting look at the non spanking humorama artists :D . in the Felix Andrews cartoon i too have no idea what is supposed to be going on but i like to think that the Indian lass has just been told she's getting a good spanking :D . seems to me that the nudist colony drawing would be a good subject for Doc Cylon to enhance. the woman in the Machamer drawing seems oddly shaped.............perhaps the body builder you mentioned.i did notice all the mags on the table :lol: . as i said, this was an interesting look. thanks for posting this. phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Nice posting Phil 8-) Love the last drawing of the wife complaing to her husband about not getting a charge from her checking account :D If ever there was a need for a woman to be spanked this was it :lol: Did Don Flower ever drew for Humorama? Don`t think he ever drew any spanking! THANKS!!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Machamer and Flowers

Post by web-ed »

butch46163@yahoo.com wrote:Love the last drawing of the wife complaing to her husband about not getting a charge from her checking account :D If ever there was a need for a woman to be spanked this was it :lol: Did Don Flower ever drew for Humorama? Don`t think he ever drew any spanking! THANKS!!
Don Flowers drew many cartoons with sexy girls, but I don't think he ever worked for Humorama. If he had, it would probably have been before the true "spanker" got started there. There is a published collection of his work. I may pick it up some time if I can find it cheap enough.
Last edited by web-ed on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had to correct the idea that Flowers had cartoons published by Humorama.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

The Glamor Girls of Don Flowers

Post by web-ed »

I finally did pick up The Glamor Girls of Don Flowers. There are no spankings, and I get the impression that Flowers never considered drawing one. He was a good cartoonist, but I have to say that I don't think his style would have lent itself to drawing a first-rate spanking cartoon. Here's an example:
Don Flowers marriage counsellor joke - very different from the marriage counsellor scenes of Kirk Stiles and George Morrice, although this wife obviously needed a good hard spanking.
Don Flowers marriage counsellor joke - very different from the marriage counsellor scenes of Kirk Stiles and George Morrice, although this wife obviously needed a good hard spanking.
don_flowers_marriage_counsellor_small.jpg (178.13 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
You can see that Flowers was half-illustrator, half-caricaturist. But unlike, say, Dan DeCarlo, he has a very angular style, almost all straight lines and few curves (Alex Toth and a few others have this characteristic also). What I find most interesting is that with all these straight lines, Flowers' figures look anything but stiff. But good-looking as his women are, they don't have the rounder, fuller bottoms of DeCarlo or Wenzel which were ideal for spanking.

As to his conceptions, you can see how differently he handled the idea of a marriage counsellor compared with Stiles and Morrice, who had the counsellor demonstrate the effective technique of OTK spanking to the husband!

We now must return to the question: did Flowers ever work for Humorama? I haven't seen anything of his in the Humorama digests from the mid-50's on, although he could have done something in the very early days (1938 on) . It seems unlikely, though, because Flowers was already doing Modest Maidens in 1931 and was busy enough with it that he had to give up Oh, Diana!. Eventually, the Hearst organization convinced him to leave AP and move over to Hearst's King Features Syndicate, where he turned Modest Maidens (still owned by AP) into Glamor Girls. Flowers worked on Glamor Girls all the way through the prime spanking period at Humorama (1955 - 1962) and beyond to his death in 1968. Therefore, I don't think he did anything for Humorama.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

a re-captioned cartoon by Martin Filchock

Post by hugob00m »

Since we are running so low on actual Humorama "spankers", I thought I'd try re-captioning a couple of non-spanking Humorama cartoons to make it seen as if a spanking had just taken place, or was about to take place. Here's one by an artist I don't know much about: Martin Filchock.
filchock cartoon with new caption.jpg
filchock cartoon with new caption.jpg (110.91 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
It's possible that the artist may have already had a spanking in mind! The boss's gesture, patting his thigh, could be an invitation to sit on his lap... or to lie across it. Either one would be fairly common in Humorama cartoons... But would those other men gather in the doorway like that to watch the young lady sit on the boss's lap? Maybe, but I don't think so.

The original caption was impossible to read, and so I made another one. If "Miss Plushbottom" is about to get a birthday spanking from her boss, rather than a punitive one, then maybe those guys at the door aren't just there to watch, but waiting for their turn! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hugob00m

Another re-captioned cartoon drawn by "Camill"?

Post by hugob00m »

I don't know anything about this artist, and I've never seen a spanking cartoon drawn by "Camill", but he does seem to like women with big round bottoms!
camill stepdaughter.jpg
camill stepdaughter.jpg (199.2 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
I didn't like the original caption, but I loved the butt on the woman! If the artist won't draw her in the process of getting spanked, the least I can do is add a new caption with the implication that she has been spanked, and will probably be spanked some more. :D :D :D :D
hugob00m

...and another re-captioned one by "Camill"

Post by hugob00m »

I think I may have found this one without the original caption already.
camill discussion.jpg
camill discussion.jpg (283.65 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
Maybe the artist wasn't thinking about the man wanting to spank the woman, but the curve of her butt and the apprehensive look on her face sure put a spanking into my mind! ;) ;) ;) ;) What naughty thing might she have done? I don't have any speculation at this time... Maybe it's for no other reason than that she has such a tempting target!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi Boom,

I enjoyed the captions you added to these toons so much, I really don't even care what the original ones were :lol: . If these pics aren't spanking related, they sure missed a good chance and you have certainly proved that :D . thanks for sharing these with us :D . Phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

this would've made a good Detective spanking story :D :D :D :D
hugob00m

a re-captioned cartoon by "Andrews"

Post by hugob00m »

I don't know anything about this artist, except for the signature on the side. I like the way he drew the woman in the bikini, along with the disgusted look on the other woman's face and the wistful look on the man's
andrews dressed like that.jpg
andrews dressed like that.jpg (651.73 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
hugob00m

boltinoff re-captioned

Post by hugob00m »

Alright, the caption is a little lame, but the girl looks like she needs to be spanked for SOMETHING! ;) ;) ;) ;)
boltinoff bar.jpg
boltinoff bar.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi Boom,

that sounds like as good a reason for a spanking as any to me :lol: . thanks, Phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Great job on all of these cartoons, B00m! Henry Boltinoff did a few cartoons for Humorama but no "spankers".

As for Felix Andrews, he did quite a large number of cartoons at Humorama - several dozen I'd say - but no "spankers" there unless there's one still lurking in those last few issues from 1955-1960 I'm trying to track down. As I mentioned in the post that began this thread, he did however do one spanking cartoon for another publication, and we'll be seeing it this year - probably now in the fall - as part of the ongoing Rivals of Humorama series. He has quite an unusual style in which the backgrounds look like what they are - an artist's background - rather than whatever they're supposed to represent.

Oh wait - I almost missed the ones by Gamill (first name still unknown - and it is "Gamill" with a "G" even though it looks like a "C" (I saw one of his original drawings somewhere). This one I've seen before somewhere in Humorama. Gamill did wonderfully ponderous buttocks on his women, and I would call it almost a tragedy that he did no spanking cartoons. Same thing for a Ward-imitator named Stark, who did a number of cartoons with spankable ladies, yet no spanking. I believe Gamill did one with a bondage theme, but I can't remember now if I ever posted it here on the Forum or not.

Finally, with Martin Filchock - he was around both at Humorama and in other digests. I do in fact have three of his cartoons posted here on the forum, which I'll link to here:

The last of these is of course the closest to an actual spanking. These are all in the "Missed Opportunities in Humorama" topic.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

A re-captioned cartoon by Bill Ward

Post by hugob00m »

With the grimace on the man's face, and the woman's delectable backside, I think this caption is more appropriate than the original one...
ward 30 a.jpg
ward 30 a.jpg (106.87 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
hugob00m

A re-captioned cartoon by Bill Ward

Post by hugob00m »

This girl looks like she needs to be spanked... whether she deserves it or not!
ward 07a..jpg
ward 07a..jpg (234.23 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
hugob00m

A re-captioned cartoon by C. Massey

Post by hugob00m »

I don't know anything about this artist, except that he drew the central character with a nicely inviting rear end!
massey.jpg
massey.jpg (405.14 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi Boom,

You've posted some really interesting pics here :D They may not have any spanking in them but all of these naughty girls have nicely shaped bottoms and I certainly have no trouble imagining all 3 of these young ladies getting a spanking :lol: I love the idea of the guest of honor showing up for her birthday party in her birthday suit :D . She certainly has the attention and approval of the men who are her potential birthday spankers :lol: The other 2 girls in the pic seem very jealous and I have to figure they are upset because they didn't think of doing this :lol: . All 3 of these are very appealing drawings but I think I like the one of the young lady on the bed best. First off, being an old guy, I like the outfit she's wearing :D . Secondly, I love the fact that she's admitting that she's been a naughty girl which, I might add, goes really well with the expression on her face 8-) . What I like most is the way the artist has depicted the slip/night gown she's wearing. He's made the fabric looks so soft and flimsy and it just appears to hug her bottom nicely as gravity acts upon it :D :D . It's a very sexy drawing as our naughty girl waits, longingly, for her man to come home and take her in hand 8-) . I also like the motion lines indicating that she's moving her legs back and forth. I think that was a really nice touch under the circumstances. Thanks for posting these, Phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Hi B00m - these are all great enhancements! The Ward cartoons look familiar to me although I don't have any publication information on them (even keeping track of the "spankers" is difficult enough). Ward was actually a pretty good gag man although your captions are an improvement.

As for "C. Massey" I have no idea who he was, although he has a good technique and I suspect this may be an alias. I'm pretty sure Humorama did not publish any of his work. I think we'd all have loved to see a spanking cartoon from this guy, whoever he was. :)
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Re-captioned cartoon by Wenzel

Post by hugob00m »

Here's another cartoon that originally had nothing to do with spanking. My caption is sort of lame... but I think it fits the girl's pose and the expression on her face.
wenzel 75.jpg
wenzel 75.jpg (194.53 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
I don't know whether any guy has ever gotten an offer like this... but I certainly wouldn't turn her down if I was that guy!