Adam Hughes, ebay

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
Wolfie138

Adam Hughes, ebay

Post by Wolfie138 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADAM-HUGHES-BATMAN- ... 33689e1d02

hmmm. $5500? it's nowhere near as stupid as the guy trying to get half a millon for a Balent painting, but that price for a pen sketch? I'll pass.
"one of the best adam hughes pieces you will ever see" ~ uh, no. not even close.
overbarrel49

Re: Adam Hughes, ebay

Post by overbarrel49 »

good grief :shock: it's an interesting pic............but not that interesting :lol: . thanks for posting this, phil
jimc

Post by jimc »

i keep wondering if this guy posts them thinking someone will pay some outraegeous fortune or he has trouble with that pesky decimal point thinking that the comma is a decimmal point like $6.00 would be more in line for that picture rather than anything over $50.00 would be expected and he also might keep it high so no one actually would buy it and therefore keeps it for himself or he makes it high so ebay will not take it down. I mean ebay gets some portion of the sell price i think.
Have a grerat day.
JIm
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Who knows? Is the Ford Edsel a collector's item now?
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Adam Hughes and Bidding Wars

Post by web-ed »

I don't think the Edsel is much sought-after these days, age not being enough to turn a clunker into a classic. Perhaps this is because it is said that "today, every car is an Edsel" and I agree - they're all committee-designed, soulless, interchangeable jelly beans that you can't tell apart until you get close enough to read the marque. The public taste is much derided, but not everyone is a complete idiot. There's a world of difference between the 1966 Mustang and the 1976 Granada, and it's not the 10-year age gap. People are generally smart enough to collect the first and junk the second :) .

On the other hand, there always seem to be a few people with money to throw around who will sometimes bid prices up to astronomical levels when an item is sold at auction. The '65 Corvette in the first Austin Powers film (a fine car to be sure, and certainly no Edsel!) was auctioned off for a ridiculous sum of money (I forget what the winning bid was exactly). A few years ago, I was following some classic professional microphones on ebay. Now the thing was that there was so much interest in this 30-year-old model that the manufacturer had started making them again, and these dummies on ebay were bidding up the prices on the old ones so high they could have bought a brand new one for the same price!

Of course, the "manufacturer" isn't doing any more of these Adam Hughes spanking drawings, but even so - $5500? I have to agree with everyone that this is ridiculous. I noticed that there were no bids at that price. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Wolfie - while I won't be picking up this item any time soon, as nice as it is, I think we've found another addition for Super-Spanking Summer!
-- Web-Ed
Wolfie138

Post by Wolfie138 »

as per my other post, if you thought the Hughes pic was overpriced.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/CATWOMAN-Original-P ... 1c18fae3c5
web-ed
Site Admin

$423,000.00 Seems Just a Tad Steep

Post by web-ed »

You know, I have to think maybe JimC's explanation applies in this case - the seller could have intended $4230.00 and simply had trouble with the decimal point. At least, that's what I'd like to think. Unless Bill Gates is a secret Catwoman fan, I don't think this one's going to move too quickly. In an apparent fit of generosity, the seller is throwing in the frame that houses the painting for free (for $423,000 he ought to throw in the entire building that houses the painting) :) .
-- Web-Ed
Dave Wolfe

Post by Dave Wolfe »

There is a website featuring "Stupid Comics" that often refers to the "Crazy Grandma Pricing Guide!" This is an extraordinary amount of dough some Ole Gal wants for tattered and generally worthless comic books at her garage sale.

Thanks for posting this, Wolfie-- I usually love Adam Hughes' stuff, but this is indeed --er, a lesser effort! But, perversely, I find it encouraging! :D