Bulletin Board Tips and Tricks

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Bulletin Board Tips and Tricks

Post by web-ed »

I don't want to clutter up this forum (CSR Feedback) with too many topics, but Dan's had so much trouble that I thought I might do a a few posts on how to use the board - helpful suggestions on how to use some of the board's features that might make things easier for at least a few of you. So for the first of these "Bulletin Board Tips and Tricks" let's look at a quick way to get to the top of a page.

On the CSR main site, most of the pages are short enough that scrolling up and down is no big deal (and I make the pages narrow enough that scrolling from side to side, which is a huge pain, is not necessary). The exception is the Fiction Gallery, where whole stories are found on one single (web) page; there I placed a "Return to Top of Page" button at the bottom of each page. But what do you do here on the Bulletin Board, where even with the ten-post-per-page limit the pages can get a little long?

You can, of course, use the vertical scroll bar. Or you can hold down your "Page Up" key (I often do this on other web sites). The "Home" key will only take you (inside the text box you're writing in) to the top of the current paragraph, which is really not very useful. You could use the "Up Arrow" key, but that's very slow and better suited to when you only want to scroll up a short way. Fortunately, the board provides built-in "Up Arrow" buttons that will take you to the top of the current page (not available when you're writing a post or viewing the list of topics on a forum, but it's not needed there anyway). It's a little small so it's easy to overlook, but it looks like this:

Note that there is one button for each post on the page (maximum of 20 selected by me; if anyone thinks we should allow more than 20 posts per page please say so because I have some options, although I forget what the absolute maximum is). This is generally the quickest way to go back to the top of the page.
Last edited by web-ed on Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change maximum from 10 to 20
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Quickly Jump from Forum to Forum

Post by web-ed »

I almost forgot I was supposed to be doing this new series, but I was reminded today when I wrote once again in the updates that you can find HugoB00m's latest O. T. Katie strip by going directly over to his gallery. But how do you do that?

Obviously, everyone is able to get there, perhaps by simply going back to the Board Index (link at the top of most pages) and finding B00m's gallery from there. But there is a quicker way: locate the "Jump to" button near the bottom of the page, hit the arrow to reveal the menu of galleries, and select the one you want to jump to:

Next thing you know, you'll be seeing O. T. Katie, well, OTK :lol: !
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

How to Create Ordered and Unordered Lists

Post by web-ed »

Each week, I put the weekly updates in an unordered (bulletin point) list that looks like this:
  • Update #1
  • Update #2
  • Update #3
How do I do that? Easy! Here's the syntax, with the square brackets exchanged for curly braces so I can get them to print:

{list}
{*}Update #1
{*}Update #2
{*}Update #3
{/list}

You can either type the brackets or (easier) use the buttons above the text box. "{list} and {/list}" begin and end the list, while "{*}" is used to indicate each list item. This is quite similar to HTML code, in fact, but I won't go into more details here. Anyone interested should study the HTML code on the Home Page of the main site to see how it's done.

Suppose you want an ordered list instead. Make these changes to the {list} code:

{list=1}
{*}Update #1
{*}Update #2
{*}Update #3
{/list}

will produce an ordered list with numbers:
  1. Update #1
  2. Update #2
  3. Update #3
Or letters, if you use {list=A} instead of {list=1}:
  1. Update #1
  2. Update #2
  3. Update #3
Well, that's it for this series unless anyone has a request for how to do something else on this board.
-- Web-Ed