Missed Opportunities in Humorama

Spanking cartoons in the Humorama Digests and other men's magazines.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Recently Discovered Sexual Innuendo

Post by web-ed »

I really thought I was done with these for awhile, but I discovered these two only in the past several weeks.

Art by Al Kaufman, from Broadway Laughs (July-Aug 1954)

Art by Jack O'Brien, from A Laugh A Minnit (1954).

The first of these is similar to a cartoon by Kirk Stiles I posted several years ago, in which a burglar obviously has some sinister intentions for a woman he's tied up. This cartoon is less objectionable than that one, but it's certainly in questionable taste as Mr. Bigley apparently has some groping on his mind.

The second of these is really raunchy, and I'm surprised that O'Brien, whose work should be familiar to CSR readers by now, could get away with it in 1954. I don't have the time to launch into a discussion right now, and perhaps that's for the best as I think everyone understand what the problem is with these. They are quite interesting historically, however.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Re: Recently Discovered Sexual Innuendo

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.
web-ed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:11 am They are quite interesting historically, however.
Yes.
web-ed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:11 am I'm surprised that O'Brien, whose work should be familiar to CSR readers by now, could get away with it in 1954.
I'm surprised too. The first girl looks like she's about to be groped, but could there be any other purpose for tying the second girl in that position than to rape her?

And the caption of the second one is odd too. Why would she even check into a hospital for ingrown toenails? I would think that ingrown toenails would be handled in the doctor's office, if they've become infected. Maybe they could be taken care of by a pedicurist if it isn't too bad yet!
butch46163@yahoo.com

Re: Missed Opportunities in Humorama

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

The office Manger looks like he about to grab the woman`s breasts while she is tied up :twisted: Doctor about to go full gyno on the woman with ingrown toe nails :twisted: :lol: :lol: would have prefer to see both women in a spanking position :twisted: Good find!!
web-ed
Site Admin

Tex Brands his Fiancee - Again

Post by web-ed »

You'll be glad to know, Butch, that I do have a lot more cartoons with women in spanking positions (mainly bending over, of course), but I haven't posted them as I thought I would eventually get around to "Humorama Spanking Positions III". I don't see that happening this year as when we get to summer I'll pause the "Missed Opportunities" in favor of "Humorama Models".

For today it's back to Behinds in Jeopardy and to old Tex and his branding iron in this colorized version of "Tex Brands his Fiancee":

Sex to Sexty 21, art by Pierre Davis.

And then we have a silly sat-on-a-cactus scene from Flirt sent to us by that champion of the jeopardized behind Robin:

Art by Peter Driben.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Two More Pratfalls

Post by web-ed »

Two more pratfalls now, engineered by sneaky men with banana peels:

Art by Bill Ward. From Joker (Jan. 1967)

Art by Stanley Rayon. From Good Humor (Feb-March 1949).

Not as good as spankings, of course, but still humorous. I'm generally not collecting these any more unless they're really good, but I still have some in the files.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi. Web-ed/
web-ed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:25 am For today it's back to Behinds in Jeopardy and to old Tex and his branding iron in this colorized version of "Tex Brands his Fiancee":
Sometimes spankers like to use the hyperbole, "I'm gonna blister your behind!" or spankees say they feel a "searing" pain. It's not so funny if the burn is literal

A cartoon branding is a SLIGHTLY humorous, but I sure wouldn't want to see it played out by real people!
web-ed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:25 am And then we have a silly sat-on-a-cactus scene from Flirt sent to us by that champion of the jeopardized behind Robin:
Also, kind of funny as a cartoon. but I wouldn't want to see a real woman fall on a cactus.
web-ed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:34 am Two more pratfalls now, engineered by sneaky men with banana peels:
Pratfalls aren't as much fun as spankings. but these two involve a certain degree of exposure. However, I think it would be a LOT MORE FUN if the man fell on a banana peel, learned that the pretty woman dropped it, and spanked her for her carelessness! :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hearing that splat sound as those women bottoms hit the floor is exciting!! don`t like seeing a beautiful falling on a Cactus but seeing her across a man`s lap having them pulled out is Nice :twisted: :twisted: Good find 8-) 8-)
web-ed
Site Admin

If They're Going to Bend Over Anyway...

Post by web-ed »

A subject near an dear to many of our hearts is women bending over. I did a whole tribute to it over on the main site including many examples from The Benny Hill Show. Human nature (male human nature) being what it is :lol: , the subject did come up now and again in men's humor mags. If a spanking was implied, we're in "Bend Over, Get a Swat" territory (this goes back to burlesque), but sometimes it's simply the male desire to view women in this position that drives the humor. Let's see two examples from the 1950s now.

The first of these is extraordinarily weak, based on the unlikely moniker of "Ben Dover," and we must all have see jokes based around it before.

Art by Bill Horn, from Good Humor (May 1953).

If your gag is that laborious, you shouldn't belabor the point even further. The caption should have read something like, "No, you don't understand - my name is Ben Dover!"

Perhaps she should apologize for her hasty conclusion, then try to make things right by handing him a paddle and bending over for real.

Artist unknown, from Nifty (December 1957).

This guy's got bending over on the brain, and we can't really blame him. Who among us has never, in his youth, looked at a group of women doing aerobics or some other exercise in which they had to bend over every now and then? I wouldn't go very far out of my way just to see something like that these days, but it was far different during my formative years and into my twenties.

This second type of cartoon did turn up in the Wolf Books every now and then, and I've got some other examples saved up for another "Spanking Positions" special if I can ever get around to it.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.
web-ed wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:01 pm he first of these is extraordinarily weak, based on the unlikely moniker of "Ben Dover," and we must all have see jokes based around it before.
I think, if I was stuck with that name, I'd introduce myself as "Benjamin", or use my middle name... if it wasn't something even worse!
web-ed wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:01 pmPerhaps she should apologize for her hasty conclusion, then try to make things right by handing him a paddle and bending over for real.
That would work for me.
web-ed wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:01 pm This guy's got bending over on the brain, and we can't really blame him.
The lady in the second cartoon looks prettier than the other one. And those motion lines indicate she has a wiggle to her rear end. If the instructor can't find an excuse to give her a little swat, and all he can do is watch her... I'd be hoping for a gust of wind! ;) ;) ;) ;)
butch46163@yahoo.com

Thhe female Golfer have a very spankable bottom :D :D
web-ed
Site Admin

Behinds, or at least One Behind, in Jeopardy

Post by web-ed »

The first of these is basically the standard "shot to the behind". We've seen them before, and this early example may be a little more subtle with the high point probably being Doc's after-the-shot sly, satisfied grin.

Art by Serrano, from Dolls and Gags Vol. 3 #6.

Well done by Serrano. I do have more of these, but I'll probably save them for that "History of the Spanking Cartoon" article I'm always threatening to write.

The next one is about twenty years later, and is really quite strange - I'm not even sure her behind is in any actual jeopardy:

Art by Richard Riley, from Sex to Sexty #28.

O.K., so his wife's ass reminds him of his mother-in-law. But so what? :? If that's all the gag there is, it's not enough because we have no idea why his wife is posed that way (not that we object to the pose itself ;) ). If she's putting herself into position for a paddling, or some other activity, why is her husband sitting in a chair reading the paper? It really makes no sense.

We don't remember seeing other cartoons by Richard Riley, but of course we may have seen some that we simply didn't pay much attention to. He and Jack Flynn seem to be somewhat influenced in their overall approach to cartooning by Stanley Rayon, who drew women with absolutely gorgeous, generous-sized busts and behinds and pretty much let the rest of the cartoon take care of itself. Bent over that odd-looking ottoman (or is it a coffee table?), her bottom is raised nice and high for the application of a paddle - so where is it? Riley could have used the exact same caption but drawn the husband with paddle in hand and it would have been a much sexier (and better) cartoon!
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

I see two possibilities the bent-over woman reminds her husband of her mother.

1. He thinks her arse is increasing in size to be like her mother's matronly bum,

2. He thinks her mother is an arsehole.
butch46163@yahoo.com

don`t understand the mother drawing! but I can tell the Doctor like giving the woman a needle in her behind :twisted: :lol: :lol: Great finds!!1
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.
web-ed wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm The first of these is basically the standard "shot to the behind". We've seen them before, and this early example may be a little more subtle with the high point probably being Doc's after-the-shot sly, satisfied grin.
Even though I'm pretty sure that you or I would rather apply a paddle, or the palm of a hand to a pretty lady's backside than jab it with a needle... the fun part is that she would have to bare it! :D :D :D :D

Here's another inoculation joke by Dean Yeagle.
flu shot.jpg
flu shot.jpg (108.81 KiB) Viewed 435 times

About the other cartoon, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I like the way the artist drew the lady's round butt.
web-ed wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm O.K., so his wife's ass reminds him of his mother-in-law. But so what?
I think WillJohn is probably right about why she might remind him of her mother.
web-ed wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm If she's putting herself into position for a paddling, or some other activity, why is her husband sitting in a chair reading the paper? It really makes no sense.
Kneeling that way, it looks like she's willing to let him paddle her... or maybe she's interested in "doggy-style" sex. Either way, it doesn't make sense that her husband would be more interested in whatever he's reading.
web-ed wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm Bent over that odd-looking ottoman (or is it a coffee table?),
An ottoman or a coffee table? At first glance, I thought it was a stainless steel cooking pot, like this:
steel pot.jpg
steel pot.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 435 times
But why would she be scrubbing it on the living room floor? And why would she be naked?

That guy needs to put his book down, give his wife a good solid spanking, and then take her to the bedroom to satisfy her sexual needs!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Shots to the Behind

Post by web-ed »

Yes, I've had the Dean Yeagle one in my files for a while now - he did it well, a modern take on an old classic!

You know, that "furniture" does look a bit like a cooking pot, but an extremely large one. I suppose we should stop concentrating on the props and get back to concentrating on those spankable behinds! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi,, Web-ed.
web-ed wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 am You know, that "furniture" does look a bit like a cooking pot, but an extremely large one. I suppose we should stop concentrating on the props and get back to concentrating on those spankable behinds!
Yeah. It distracted me at first, because it looked out of place. Usually you see pots like that in restaurants or institutional kitchens rather than homes. And why would a woman be scrubbing it on the living room floor? Naked?

But, all that aside... she has a nicely-rounded butt!
web-ed
Site Admin

Two from Harvey

Post by web-ed »

Two examples from Harvey, who of course did all the Casper and Wendy stuff as well as Sad Sack. First, they really goofed with their "corporal punishment" gag, which should have been a M/F spanking given by an army corporal (and was, in a cartoon by Felix Andrews we saw years ago).

From Fun Parade (Sept. 1956). Was it so hard to have the second part of the caption read "the corporal I was out with last night gave me a spanking!"?

Then a somewhat better gag featuring a poke to the behind from Dave (Davy) Berg. Berg did a number of cartoons for Humorama, but unfortunately no "spankers" - he must really not have been into it.

From Army Navy Fun Parade #82 (1957). The girl does at least say "Ouch!" so perhaps we can imagine that painted hand giving her a good swat.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed.

I suppose the "corporal punishment" gag might've been funnier if she had been rubbing when she taked about it.

On the other one, did the pointing finger swat the lady or did it just poke her? Either way, her reaction was cute!
butch46163@yahoo.com

The Corporal Punishment gag could have been better if the female Wac had pain lines and stars coming from her bottom ! the finger pointing one also!!Nice finds!!
web-ed
Site Admin

Two Mismatched Missed Opportunities

Post by web-ed »

These two don't have anything in common, but I'm short on time so let's get them out there.

Not much is known about this first one. It was sent to me by long-time contributor/helper Bishop Berkley, whom I just realized I left off today's Honor Roll because I'd also left him off the list of contributors on the Home Page all these years - what a screw-up! :oops: Well, that'll be fixed shortly. Meanwhile, this cartoon is pretty well done with a sexy female but it would have been better had the patient spanked the nurse (obviously):

The second one is obvious but still welcome: why not have a college girl wearing a 1930s gym outfit acting as a football center? Watching her hike the ball was fun, but it would have been better if our unseen quarterback had brought a trusty fraternity paddle along.

From Film Fun (November 1934). Dig the old-style leather helmet! :)
-- Web-Ed