Question re Frontier Romance Spanking

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
Tanner

Question re Frontier Romance Spanking

Post by Tanner »

At the top of the Spanking Comics Database there is a picture of a spanking called "Frontier Romance Spanking". It is not in the DataBase and will not enlarge so that the dialogue is readable.
Also curious about this as the skimpy costume the girl is wearing seems out of place in a Westerns comic.
Would like to be enlightened.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Question re Frontier Romance Spanking

Post by web-ed »

I was wondering if anyone would ask about this - I hope you're not sorry you did once I finish answering! You are correct in that when I have an image and use a small version of it on a page, I normally make it a hyperlink leading to another webpage containing a larger version. In this case, what with the finishing touches on the Data Base itself, and doing the four recent interviews plus one essay, I haven't had the time to create the page, which itself will require more than the usual amount of effort because there's something very special about this particular spanking. Which brings us to...

Frontier Romances #1 contains perhaps the most infamous comic-book spanking of all time. It is one of what I call "The Seven Spankings," a special group that was known to comic-book spanking aficionados as far back as the 70's [watch for a "stickie" topic on this soon]. For over 30 years, all I had apart from the title and issue number was a black & white xerox copy of the spanking panel - and then very recently I came upon the complete page containing it, and in color! So of course I couldn't resist extracting the panel and using it on the Comics DB page. Speaking of which, I've been trying to add all the current Comics Gallery material to the DB, and I think I've succeeded in doing so. Going forward, I will add items to the DB at the same time I put them in the gallery (so I don't have to go back later and put in more hyperlinks!) if they're going into the gallery at all, and this one will certainly be added to both places. That explains why it's not in the DB yet.

What sets it apart from the other six of the group, and leads me to call it "infamous", is that it was the first comic-book spanking to be viewed as deviant and criticized as harmful to children. This took place in 1954, in a book called Seduction of the Innocent, which helped pave the way for the Comics Code Authority. The spanking panel was actually reproduced in the book! I will write about this in more detail when I post the page. And when I do, I promise I will hyperlink to it both from Comics Gallery Page 2 and from the DB page. [06/02/2010 update - hyperlinks in place, and for convenience, here is another].

As to the girl's outfit: you're right in that it certainly doesn't look like it came from the Old West, because they didn't wear two-piece swimsuits back then. Even after viewing the page in its entirety, it's hard to say whether this was a modern western romance, or whether the artist accidentally drew an anachronism. We can all study it in more detail once I finally get around to posting it (probably in June).

Finally, one more thing about this panel - the posing always struck me as odd. The girl isn't really over Rick's knee, but sort of just bending over in mid-air! I was inclined to believe the artist had just messed up, until again very recently when I discovered what I believe to have been the model for this panel. Remember, you heard it here first - although this spanking is well-known, no one, to my knowledge, has ever discovered this connection before or even suspected there was one (probably no one was ever weird enough to pore over that much old spanking material before!). So keep your eyes peeled - this will be a good one (and thousands of words long, probably) by the time I get through with it! :)
-- Web-Ed