New Finds

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
Tanner

Re: New Finds

Post by Tanner »

Must commend you for your diligent research. Plan on posting the Judy of the Jungle spanking anytime soon?
web-ed
Site Admin

Judy of the Jungle

Post by web-ed »

Thanks, Tanner - I was planning to get Judy of the Jungle ready for 10/15, but I may have to push it back a few weeks because I have two big updates planned for 10/22 (Halloween Horror, 12 F/M spankings) and 10/29 (9 Weird spankings). Most of these pages are already coded, though, so maybe I can still work it in somewhere during October. We need some relief in the form of M/F stuff to counterbalance those 20 pages! I wish it were Judy herself taken OTK. Anyway, November at the latest.

I know we'd love to see a jungle girl spanked in her own book, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. I do still have quite a few Nyoka the Jungle Girl stories to check, though - maybe we'll get lucky.

[09/28 update] - no Nyoka spankings, but there are probably another hundred stories with other Jungle Girls I've yet to go over. At this point, I'd settle for another spoiled-heiress spanking.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Phase 13 of the Golden Age Search

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 7 576 Cumulative pages: 118 054

This was the last few issues of Whiz, plus a huge amount of non-Marvel Family stuff. A big goose egg - nothing! Of course I'm disappointed, especially with Nyoka (I have more to say about this under "Missed Opportunities"), but I'm undeterred. Probably the Western comics are the most boring, but I'm going to go through them all - you never know where a spanking panel may be lurking, although I mostly skip the funny-animal and horror stuff since they're not likely to yield anything useful.

Fawcett Publishing is complete now. Because all the spankings I found were in the Marvel Family books, I'm beginning to wonder if Otto Binder (who was the unofficial head writer) was perhaps a spanko, or if spanking was just a convenient plotting element for him.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Phase 14 of the Golden Age Search

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 7 243 Cumulative pages: 125 297

Nothing! This was the last of the Fawcett stuff, plus Columbia (didn't expect much there), and about 5000 pages from Fox. That was disappointing, and I'll post another Topic under "Threats and Missed Opportunities" explaining why.

I'm not done with Fox yet, though, so perhaps something will turn up there yet.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Phase 15 - A Good New Spanking Discovered!

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 7 236 Cumulative pages: 132 533

This was all Fox, my search of which is now complete, and this time I did find six spankings:

M/F: 1 (this is the only one that's going to be posted)
F/F: 2 (mean stepmother spanks daughter)
F/M: 1 (odd, sort of funny-animal)
M/M: 2 (one of these was incomprehensible, while the other - well, I've described it below)

The disappointments were (1) no Phantom Lady spanking, and (2) no Jungle Girl spanking. Now as I've pointed out elsewhere, it's not very likely that a female protagonist will be spanked, but in the case of Fox there was so much gratuitous "cheesecake" (a/k/a "Good Girl Art") and some gratuitous bondage (e.g. the notorious Phantom Lady #17) that it really wouldn't have been asking too much for them to go one step further and give us some spanking.

Phantom Lady could have been captured by a villain and subjected to this indignity just because he was a warped, evil guy (who thinks like us spankos!), or one of the Jungle Girls in the male Tarzan-type hero strips could have misbehaved and earned "traditional jungle discipline". Instead, the only jungle-spanking was between two guys, both of whom were clad only in loincloths - to a modern eye it looks incredibly gay!
Phantom Lady as close to being in spanking position as we could find.
Phantom Lady as close to being in spanking position as we could find.
phantom_lady_29_p3.jpg (209.61 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Now for the good news - I found a hitherto unsuspected M/F Romance Comic spanking! :D How I cheered when my long hours wading through more than 10,000 pages of Fox comics were at last rewarded! It's a pretty good scene with a girl who treats everyone badly - eventually her boy friend gets fed up and lets her have it. The only weak point is that the spanking doesn't really reform her, she just comes to "see the light" sort of on her own. But the spanking panel itself is nice, with her rear end pointing in the direction of the camera. I have never seen this one anywhere before or even heard about it, although it's always possible Riley over at SpankingPanels.com already knew about it.

Watch for it in November, when I'll have another series of 8 Romance Comic spankings.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Phase 16 - Another Good New Spanking Discovered!

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 6 714 Cumulative pages: 139 247

This is Comics Media and Comics House/Lev Gleason. The one spanking, which I have never seen before, came from an odd source, a series called Dickie Dean, Boy Inventor which ran in Daredevil. It is, however, a nice scene in which a female spy receives her just desserts! The OTK positioning is fair, and the spankee's name is Rosita Spano, which of course makes every one of us think Spanko!

I've a lot more Gleason stuff to go over - in fact, it will probably occupy most of Phase 17 - so we may hope to find another M/F spanking in there somewhere. Another good thing about Gleason is that they don't feature M/M stuff, which is a relief after all the ones in Fox and Fawcett!

Almost forgot - readers might want to know when they can expect to see this posted in the Comics Gallery. I don't want to hold back on any of these new discoveries, but I also don't want to run more than one of them in any single week. Therefore, it looks like we'll have Judy of the Jungle, Intimate Confessions, and Dickie Dean on successive weeks in November.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search - Lev Gleason and Croydon

Post by web-ed »

I've decided to report my findings to you by publisher rather than by phase from now on because I think it will be more meaningful that way. Accordingly, here are the results of the remainder of my search through Lev Gleason Publications and Croydon Publications.

Publisher Lev Gleason (2nd) Pages 15 155 Spankings 4
Publisher Croydon Pages 879 Cumulative Pages 155 281 Spankings 0

Croydon was a small publisher, and as far as I can tell from what I've sampled their comics were pretty derivative. Unfortunately, when they copied the ideas of other publishers, they didn't copy any spankings!

Gleason was a more substantial house, with some genuine talents and an editorial vision. The only problem is that Charles Biro, who co-edited the line and wrote many of the stories, seemed most comfortable with boys' adventures - boys competing on the playing field (as Biro had in his youth), boys assisting super-heroes (as The Little Wise Guys did in Daredevil), boys fighting crime (Crimebuster). Nothing wrong with that, but such tales have few women, few romances, and few M/F spankings.

That resulted in only 4 more spankings, all M/M :cry: I had really hoped for something better to go along with the 1 good M/F I had found previously in Daredevil. As a matter of fact, 3 of these 4 were in Daredevil also, although not in the lead feature (Daredevil himself in the early years, replaced later on by The Little Wise Guys). Obviously Charles Biro, who wrote all these stories, was no Charles Moulton (who did all the Wonder Woman BDSM). The 4th was a silly whack with the flat of a sword in Adventures in Wonderland.

In an unrelated search I also chanced upon another spanking from Blondie, but it was Blondie paddling Dagwood - unbelievable! I suppose that's life - you go forth into the world searching innocently for M/F spankings, and find strange role-reversals like that one, or Captain Marvel and Capt. Marvel Jr. M/M midget spanking (yes, both of them, to be posted on 10/29), or a jungle dude wearing only a loincloth spanking a similarly-dressed boy (I wouldn't post this one if it were the last comic-book spanking on earth).

Oh, well - there's still that good M/F one, and more publishers to search. Onward!
-- Web-Ed
Ripley

Post by Ripley »

You're doin' a great job Web-Ed! It's really a public service to all the spankos out there who enjoy the fruits of your passionate labor! Thanks
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: New Finds, and a Jungle Girl Spanked At Last!

Post by web-ed »

Ripley wrote:You're doin' a great job Web-Ed! It's really a public service to all the spankos out there who enjoy the fruits of your passionate labor! Thanks
Thank you very kindly, Ripley, and I know you appreciate these finds as much as anyone, as well as being responsible for a few yourself over at SpankingPanels.com, including some I had not been aware of.

Now for some interesting news. By rights, I should hold off on this announcement until my Fiction House search is complete, but I feel like a kid on Christmas morning and I just can't keep this news to myself because I have finally found a real Jungle Girl spanking! In fact, I've found three new M/F spankings, and my search of this publisher is not yet complete so there may be more (I hope I hope!).

Now none of these are truly great, but they're not bad either. The first isn't really a Jungle Girl spanking, because it's just a girl who gets spanked in the jungle (but we'll take it anyway!). However, I think at least one of the 2nd and 3rd spankings qualifies as a genuine Jungle Girl seat warmer! The plot is rather odd (but good for our purposes): Kaanga's mate Ann, who is always in trouble, plays so many pranks that he determines to spank her. But before he can track her down in the jungle, she has changed clothes with another girl, Betty, who's just visiting. [In fact, there's a panel in which both girls are standing absolutely buck naked in a clearing!] Kaanga finds Betty, mistakes her for Ann, and takes her OTK! So we get to see Betty spanked wearing the traditional Jungle Girl bikini outfit!!

Now if you think this doesn't qualify as a Jungle Girl spanking because technically Betty isn't a Jungle Girl, take heart: at the end of the story, after nearly being killed (again), Kaanga finally does catch up to Ann (still wearing Betty's clothes) and spanks her too! You see what I meant about at least one of these two qualifying as a Jungle Girl spanking? Hooray!! :D

P.S. I think when I finally get around to posting these, I'll have to dedicate them to Tanner, who's been wanting to see a Jungle Girl spanking for a long time!

P.P.S. [next day] I just found a reprinted version of this story which had been deliberately altered to completely remove both spankings! (The naked panel had been toned down also, but that is of lesser importance). This is the 2nd time I've seen alterations made to a reprinted version of a spanking story (for the first, look at Candy spanking #4 in our upcoming series). I'm going to have to do some more research and study on this one before I post it.

And some more good news: I found yet another quasi-Jungle Girl spanking! This one takes place in a desert, and the spankee is wearing typical British explorer clothing, but it's a good OTK scene, with paddle!
Last edited by web-ed on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: (1) Added postscript. (2) Added notes on reprinted version.
-- Web-Ed
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Eagerly await those strips. Had begun to think there might not be any.
Understand what you mean about a spanking in the jungle that is not a Jungle Girl spanking. Reemember seeing a Jungle Jim comic strip where a girl in regular clothes gets spanked by him. The spanking is not shown, just the argument leading up to it, and the aftermath where the girl is holding on to the seat of her shorts, a very chastened young lady.
For that matter, the Phantom spankings could fit into the same category as all the spankees are wearing Western or "civilized" clothes.
I remember a Phantom strip some years ago (but more recent than the spankings I have seen, maybe 70s or 80s)where there was this spoiled princess who was such a candidate for a spanking, but sadly never received one. Recall that she came on to the Phantom at one point by leaving her bikini where he could find it.
The Phantom spanking a girl in a bikini-what a delight that would have been!

[2018 note: The Jungle Jim strip Tanner refers to has finally been located by Phil S. :ugeek: . You can find it here. - Web-Ed]
Last edited by web-ed on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search: Fiction House

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 29766 Cumulative pages: 185348

Fiction House proved an exciting, if at times frustrating, hunting grounds for new spankings. The frustrations I have detailed under the "Lost Opportunities" topic, so let's talk about the new finds, which ranged from humdrum to excellent.

M/M: there were two of these, one another WWII Nazi spanking, while the other is the first (and so far the only) known spanking to occur in a Science-Fiction comic book. The only problem is that it was Flint Baker spanking his teen-age sidekick instead of a brave space explorer spanking one of the many beautiful girls Sci-Fi has always given us. Neither will be posted but both are in the DB.

F/M: three of these, of which two were inconsequential. The third, from Glory Forbes, was more interesting because the artist, Maurice Whitman, did a good job with it. Of course, it would have been better with Glory on the receiving end, and it will not be posted because the spankee is her young nephew.

F/F: a rare orientation during the Golden Age, there were two of these (one still in dispute - see the "Is This A Spanking?" poll). The disputed one is from a well-drawn strip called "The Hawk" with the participants awkwardly positioned on the floor, while the other is Firehair just barely nipping another girl on the butt with the end of a whip!

M/F: four of these! (1) Submissive girl gets spanked on a jungle expedition; (2) Wild girl causes trouble in the desert and gets spanked by a guy who says, "I'm going to enjoy this!"; (3) Girl visits jungle, changes clothes with Kaanga's mate Ann, and gets spanked in Ann's outfit! (4) Later that same story, Kaanga catches Ann and spanks her too!

At least one of these must be counted as a true Jungle Girl spanking, as announced earlier, and this is certainly big news.

This works out to about one spanking in 3000 pages, not a particularly high "spanking density". I really should try to use this to estimate how many more spankings may be out there, but I don't have enough data yet. Perhaps later when the search is mainly concluded.
Last edited by web-ed on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correct typos.
-- Web-Ed
Ripley

Re: Golden Age Search: Fiction House

Post by Ripley »

web-ed wrote:Pages searched: 29766 Cumulative pages: 185348
This works out to about one spanking in 3000 pages, not a particularly high "spanking density". I really should try to use this to estimate how many more spankings may be out there, but I don't have enough data yet. Perhaps later when the search is mainly concluded.
I am aware of each of those spanking panels you mentioned from Fiction House, and was surprised as well when I discovered them, because I wasn't expecting to see any spanking panels in Jungle or Jumbo comics. I thought maybe in Wings, Fight or Rangers, but didn't find any there. I didn't expect to find any in Planet Comics either, and that proved to be a correct assumption. So you never know when they will pop up.

Regarding estimating how many spanking panels may or may not exist in GA comics, I have done a very rough calculation, because I found your query refreshingly original and totally and naturally coming from a true Spanko's unique perspective. I always just assumed that there are as many as there are, but never bothered to try to estimate the ratio. My criteria: My calculations only involve M/F or F/F spanking panels, nothing else.
So here goes my rough calculation of spanking panels per golden age comic book:

1:150 - 1:175 So that means for every 10,000 GA comic books, we probably may discover 65-75 spanking panels (criteria outlined below). Now imagine if there are 52 pages in each of those books. That works out to 520,000 pages. That generally works out to 1 solid spanking panel per 7,000 GA comic book pages researched.

My calculations only involve M/F or F/F, nothing else. If one wants to consider other Gender or age connections, then the ratio becomes much greater, and the panels become far more common.

So if anyone could not fathom the amount of work Web-Ed has been doing to discover these amazing finds in order to share the information/data/pics with the public, now you can. I know, because I have been running similar exhaustive research into comic book spanking panels for many, many years. That is the most active core of my comic book collecting interest, well spanking panels and GGA (and the connection between the two). Kudos to Web-Ed for all his hard work, this site and this forum.
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Spanking Calculations

Post by web-ed »

Thanks, Ripley, for the compliments and your insight into this most interesting of comic-book collecting questions (how many more spankings are out there waiting to be discovered). I may well reproduce your comments at a later date if and when I delve further into this question.
Last edited by web-ed on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct typo
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search: Dell

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 16 421 Cumulative pages: 201 769 Spankings: 14

I confess I wasn't exactly looking forward to searching through Dell - it's not that I thought they were a bad company, it's just that the Dell I remember in the 60's and 70's seemed to be doing a lot of T.V. stuff, and I really wouldn't expect to find much of interest in The Rifleman or even I Spy (which did of course have an off-screen spanking, as mentioned elsewhere in these forums). But the Golden Age Dell was something completely different.

Of course, comics books got their start by reprinting comic strips, and Dell was on the scene earlier than I had realized, going all the way back to the late 1930's. In fact, the only M/F spanking I found was a reprint of Roy Crane's Captain Easy (detailed below). And I was pleasantly surprised by the contents of both the reprint and the non-reprint books: the Western and War material was generally well-drawn (Gene Autry was very good), the Indian books were respectful towards the First Americans, and we might never find some of the reprinted strips in any other place (these included Captain Easy and Terry and the Pirates, both obviously worth a look). Howdy Doody and Henry Aldrich were a chore, but I was determined to be thorough.

Not all of the Golden Age Dell issues are available, and I would not be surprised if there were a few more spankings in them, a subject to which I'll return with a new topic in this forum once my current search is completed.

Now for the stats:
M/M - 7 Nothing of interest here.

F/M - 6 These are all maternal-type spankings. One, in which Maw Green spanks both a rock-throwing boy and boy's father, is kind of humorous.

F/F - 0 As usual, this is the rarest of the types.

M/F - 1 Captain Easy came through with another spanking. It reminds me of another one in B & W I'll be posting soon - in both cases, the spankee is wearing a bathing suit, which is the next best thing to bare-bottom (which we're not going to get in a comic strip). This one's in full color, and I will be reproducing the entire page before the spanking so we can see what led up to it. It has some good after-spanking rubbing, too. Tanner's sure to love this one!
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search: DS & Eastern Color Printing

Post by web-ed »

DS Publishing was a small house, and we found no spankings at all.
Pages searched: 562 Cumulative pages: 202 331 Spankings: 0

Eastern Color Printing was more substantial, but still had only 5 spankings.
Pages searched: 5007 Cumulative pages: 207 338 Spankings: 5

M/M: 3 (the gender in one is questionable since the spanker was a machine; the other two are father/son).
F/M: 0
F/F: 1 - Hortense the Lovable Brat is spanked by her mother. Nothing for us to pay attention to.
M/F: 1 - this one, from a Famous Funnies reprint of Steve Roper, was premiered on SpankingPanels.com a while ago, but it is a pretty good spanking and will be posted in the coming weeks, but possibly not until the New Year.

Harvey is next on the list, and they were a large enough publisher that it will take me some time to get through all the available material.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search - Harvey

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 14031 Cumulative pages: 221 369 Spankings: 8

Because the Golden Age was before my time, I have learned quite a bit about it during this search. The comic books I grew up with were basically Marvel and DC super-hero, with a few war, monster, and others thrown in. Super-heroes had completely taken over the Marvel and DC lines by about 1970. Postwar GA books on the other hand were entirely different, having virtually no super-heroes, and Harvey's Golden Age output was far different from what I remember of it later in the 60's and 70's. When I think of the later Harvey, stuff like Casper, Richie Rich, Wendy, etc. comes to mind. These books certainly had their spankings, but as kiddie-stuff they aren't of any interest to us (I have documented a very few in the Data Base).

The breakdown of Harvey's GA spankings is as follows:
M/M - 6 (!) Several from Joe Palooka. Of some historical interest is the one from Kid Adonis, the first and so far the only known spanking from the legendary team of Simon & Kirby. I'm still not going to post it because I'm really tired of all this M/M stuff (it's already logged in the Data Base for those who are interested). For those who may not know, apart from having created Captain America and a lot of other strips during the 40's, S & K also pretty much created the Romance comics genre. Obviously a S & K romance M/F spanking would be of much greater interest, and if I ever find one I'll post it quickly.
F/F - 1 A rather haphazard sorority paddling, which will be posted but is nothing special.
F/M - 0 This was a relief.
M/F - 1 A reasonably good spoiled heiress piece, with the comeuppance delivered by her father. I am not the first to discover this, as it is certainly known to SpankingPanels.com and Spiritworks, but I don't think it's been posted yet unless it's in one of Spiritworks' galleries. I will certainly be posting it early in 2011.

Harvey is certainly worth further research if this becomes possible. They published a number of romance books, one of which (True-Brides Experiences #16) is among The Seven Spankings. Most of these issues are still unavailable. Then there is Green Hornet of all things - three out of the eight spankings came from this title! Only about half the issues are available, and even these scans don't have the Green Hornet strip itself because it's believed not to be in the public domain.

Harvey's war comics seemed mainly centered on the Korean conflict (which was going on at the time), and I found no spankings there. I also searched their Horror line, something I haven't always done with other publishers, and came up empty. No surprise there - I would be astonished to find a spanking scene in a Horror or Suspense comic book - but I wanted to check anyway.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search - Hillman

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 9483 Cumulative Pages: 230852 Spankings: 3

Hillman Periodicals was one of many small publishers who flourished during the Golden Age but could not survive the decline in comics sales that occurred during the first half of the 1950's. Their "spanking density" seems to have been average or below average compared to other publishers. The breakdown:

M/M - 2. One of these is father/son, the other is a strange swat with the flat of a sword. Nothing exceptional and they won't be posted, but of course they are documented in the Data Base.
F/M - 0
F/F - 0
M/F - 1. This is from Airboy, Hillman's most successful (I believe) title and for several reasons is of some interest. First, if we consider Airboy to be a War book, this would be only the third known M/F spanking from the genre. Second, although it falls into the "bad girl gets punished by good guy" category, in this case the good guy is a friend of Airboy's who was stuck on the girl prior to having his eyes opened. Third, the spanking extends over two panels and a definite number of swats is announced by the spanker! This one of course will be posted as part of the newly-discovered spanking series, but I haven't determined the date yet.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

web-ed wrote:

I just found a reprinted version of this story which had been deliberately altered to completely remove both spankings! (The naked panel had been toned down also, but that is of lesser importance). This is the 2nd time I've seen alterations made to a reprinted version of a spanking story (for the first, look at Candy spanking #4 in our upcoming series).

I've noticed this phenomenon in the past, and I always seethe when I think of the censorious prudes responsible for such abominations.

Maybe it would be of interest to note the year of publication of your altered "new find." You know, in the 1940s and '50s, spankings in the comics were common, but things seemed to come to a screeching halt in the mid-1960s. Maybe it was because of the rise of feminism, maybe it was due to the new "civil rights" era. The 1970s, as far as I know (and you must correct me if I'm wrong), had NO male/female spankings. Probably they were considered "politically incorrect."

I can point to at least one example in the movies, where a re-working of a film deliberately removed a spanking: Love Crimes (1992). I assume you know this one. In the version that was released to theaters, Sean Young (as a feisty young ADA) battles a sexual predator, played by Patrick Bergin. He captures her and carries her to his remote cabin and holds her prisoner. When she is able to, she secures a large butcher knife and prepares to attack her attacker.

In the theatrical version, Bergin stops her before she can strike, then ties her to a chair. But in the slightly longer "unrated" version, we see what the director intended, and that is a spanking. A good spanking. I think it is probably one of the best movie spankings ever, certainly the best in the 1990s. Sean Young is put over Bergin's knee and receives 23 hard handswats to her posterior, crying all the while. But the distributors decided to drop that scene from the theatrical version.

I wonder how many of those famous "publicity shots" that show spankings that did NOT turn up in the film itself, are depictions of spankings that DID appear in the original film? I'll wager the total is more than a few.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Censored Spankings, the 1970's, and Films

Post by web-ed »

I'm not sure why I didn't mention the specific years when I first did that "Jungle Girl Spanked at Last" that post - either I didn't think anyone would be interested, or I imagined I could find out more by doing some research before going into details. Looks like I was mistaken on both counts. The jungle spanking took place in 1947, and the version in which the spanking had been censored was only five years later, in 1952. All the publication details together with links to every page of both versions may be found in Kaanga Jungle Girl Spanking.

As you say, "...in the 1940s and '50s, spankings in the comics were common." There were a great many during this period, but this particular example, plus Ted Paddles Candy have recently made me wonder if the deplorable censorship of comic-book spankings began in the 50's. Comics were coming under fire then, with Seduction of the Innocent of course appearing in 1954. And yet, the spankings went on, even into the 60's and 70's (for even later examples, see the upcoming series, "Modern Comic-Book Spankings" beginning in January, although I must admit these examples are pretty off-the-wall).

Despite whatever the censorious might have wished, comic spankings were still taking place in the 70's in such comics as Carrie (from Mayfair magazine), Daredevil #120, Defenders #70, For Lovers Only #73, Howard the Duck Treasury Edition, and Super Team Family (this was a reprint of the famous 1966 "Batman Spanks Marcia Monroe" story in The Brave and the Bold). Notice that the only Romance comic in this group is For Lovers Only - Romance Comics, which had been so popular in the 50's and have given us so many spanking panels, finally came to an end early in this decade (Girls' Romance and Millie the Model were among the last that I remember).

This leaves us with some unanswered questions:

1. How prevalent were the efforts to suppress spankings in 50's (and beyond) comics?
2. If such a concerted effort were being made, why wasn't in more successful? Or was it more successful than we had thought, as the two examples from Kaanga and Candy suggest? These were both reprints (the only way we'd know for sure that the spankings had been removed) - were there story conferences we don't know about at which spankings were nixed from suggested plots, and if so, at which publishers?

I don't have the answers (yet), but if that changes, I won't keep my findings a secret.

Now, as to film spankings, I was familiar with the one from 1992's Love Crimes, but not being the expert you are when it comes to cinema, I didn't realize that the spanking only took place in the director's cut and was removed from the version that was actually distributed to theaters. I agree with you that this was one of the best movie spankings ever, and that its removal was a real shame. So who deserves the blame for spankings becoming less common in popular culture?

I'd have to say this is most probably the influence of the progressive left, which has taken over both our Universities and Hollywood. M/F spanking is not held in high regard by these elites, probably because they don't like strong men and submissive women. They really believe that "gender is a social construct" (i.e., that there are no temperamental differences between men and women) to use their own fatuous terminology. Think of all the bumbling, ineffectual men in movies or on T.V. The idea of a strong man, morally confident, spanking a deserving female, would completely horrify this bunch.

Other factors may be at work also - food for further discussion.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Golden Age Search - Holyoke

Post by web-ed »

Pages searched: 4616 Cumulative Pages: 235468 Spankings: 2

Holyoke was another small house that wasn't exactly cutting-edge as far as their content went. No M/F spankings, 1 silly M/M, and 1 fairly humorous F/M (which Riley had already documented over at the SpankingPanels.com Forum) is apparently all they had to offer. As usual, I make the reservation that there could have been more in the books that aren't available, but in Holyoke's case I doubt it.
-- Web-Ed