Threats and Missed Opportunities

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Threats and Missed Opportunities in Smilin' Jack

Post by web-ed »

More good stuff, Phil, and very timely right now during our Smilin' Jack mini-series :D . Of course I have the whole strip from July 15, 1934 since you supplied it, but really only the spanking threat is important, and the version you have here is more legible, so I see no need to post the whole strip.

The threat from May 4, 1940 I've actually added to Smilin' Jack Spanking #5 as a follow-up.

I think Joe Patterson was really taking a chance by ordering Mosley to kill off Joy Beaverduck. For one thing, Mosley might have refused, and perhaps more seriously the readers might have resented it (see e.g. the reaction to the killing of Gwen Stacy in Amazing Spider-Man #121). This kind of thing was certainly done repeatedly by Milton Caniff, but we're still years before Steve Canyon here (1940) and I honestly can't remember Terry and the Pirates well enough to say whether Caniff had done the same sort of thing there.

There is a great problem with serials, and it is simply that since they're supposed to go on forever for financial reasons, artistic progress is limited. You can kill off Prince Hamlet in Hamlet, but only because it's a stage drama and not a television series or comic strip (one reason why the stage drama is artistically way ahead of the other two media). Can you make up for it by following the Caniff model and introducing a major but temporary character who will later be killed off? Without meaning to duck the question, I'm going to have to leave it for another day and probably a very long essay :lol: .
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Re: Threats and Missed Opportunities

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Too bad Jack didn`t take Ember down a peg with a good spanking :x nice find Phil 8-) 8-) :D :D
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Following last week's Smilin' Jack special I'm back to posting threats and missed opportunities in the reverse order I scanned them - ah more or less.

Buck Rogers December 4, 1936 This is a use of the word spanked in the same way we might read "Cubs spanked Cardinals" - not to be taken literally but representing an assertion of dominance by one over another. Really though the big guy's solution to this bad girl's shenanigans seems rather drastic better that he had actually spanked her.
BuckRogersDecember4,1936.jpg
BuckRogersDecember4,1936.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Mary Worth November 25, 1971 No just no - her husband should certainly spank her for being "tardy".
MaryWorthNovember25,1971.jpg
MaryWorthNovember25,1971.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Phantom August 21, 1949 A well-stated warning with an appropriate response.
PhantomAugust21,1949DETAIL.jpg
PhantomAugust21,1949DETAIL.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Last edited by web-ed on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modified BBC
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

More good stuff, Phil. The best is probably The Phantom, where even though we don't have an actual spanking we're reminded that masterful men spank their women, who love it :D !

The most waste has to be Buck Rogers, where the Princess could and should have been spanked literally. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Another threat from Smilin' Jack

Post by web-ed »

Later this week we're going to see that Smilin' Jack had spankings in 1940, '41, and '43. So far we know of no spankings in 1942, but Phil S. :ugeek: did manage to find a good spanking threat from October 14 of that year:

Cindy had the habit of trying to solve problems with her fists and deserved every spanking she got. She surely deserved another here but our would-be spanker simply wasn't tough enough to pull it off as Jack and Lone Jones were.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Smilin' Jack December 13, 1952
SmilinjackDecember13,1952.jpg
SmilinjackDecember13,1952.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Jungle Jim January 7, 1940
JungleJimJanuary7,1940.jpg
JungleJimJanuary7,1940.jpg (140.93 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Jungle Jim January 7, 1940
JungleJimJanuary7,1940DETAIL.jpg
JungleJimJanuary7,1940DETAIL.jpg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Jungle Jim January 14, 1940 Alex Raymond created Jungle Jim on January 7, 1934, as the companion strip to Flash Gordon. The exploits of explorer, trapper, professional adventurer Jungle Jim Bradley were designed by King Features to be competition to Hal Foster's Tarzan strip.
JungleJimJanuary13,1940.jpg
JungleJimJanuary13,1940.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
Wash Tubbs September 8, 1937 Wash Tubbs is the direct predecessor to Captain Easy. This may not be a threat or a missed opportunity but it most definitely makes for an excellent visual.
WashTubbsSeptember8,1937.jpg
WashTubbsSeptember8,1937.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
April 12, 1957 The umpire strikes back :D
Softball April 12,1957.jpg
Softball April 12,1957.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Captain Yank January 26, 1944
CaptainYankJanuary26,1944DETAIL.jpg
CaptainYankJanuary26,1944DETAIL.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Toonerville Folks December 27, 1947 So "awhile back" Sam Wortle was spankin' his wife. A detail that sent me scurrying back in the archive to look at more than a few Toonerville Folks strips. A lot of spanks aimed at juveniles but I didn't find what I was looking for.
ToonervilleFolksDecember27,1947.jpg
ToonervilleFolksDecember27,1947.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

Better Half
May 19, 1969
BetterHalfMay19,1969.jpg
BetterHalfMay19,1969.jpg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

More very interesting finds, Phil! :D I've been unable to check in since last Friday due to time constraints, and you've certainly been busy since then. I think my favorite is the one from Jungle Jim which must also be the one Tanner remembered years ago. I need to search out that post and link to yours, but of course right now I'm in the middle of doing several things at once and can't take the time to search the board.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Another threat from Smilin' Jack

Post by web-ed »

I'm not sure how many of these Phil S. :ugeek: has found all together, but I think there's one more after this. Cindy is in the mood to spank both Jack's younger brother Stretch and her daughter Cherry (of course there was a Cindy/Cherry spanking years earlier on 10/08/1941) but apparently it never happened.

Smilin' Jack, May 7, 1948
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Judging by the way Kitty is rubbing her bottom I think zjim did spank her off panel! Smilin Jack not only threating he carrys it out 8-) :lol: :lol: that umpire who like to dusk the seat of those female players make me think about all those female soft ball players being they over 18 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice Finds THANKS!!
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Smilin' Jack March 30, 1946 Back on August 7, thanks to Tanner I was looking at Wyatt Earp #5 in a digital comic book store. When I finished with that I decided to brose through a few other comics and "picked up" a Smilin' Jack. What I found sent me back to the funny pages of 1946 for one last Smilin' Jack 'spanking'. In this scene Zack Mosely combines his two greatest loves, airplanes and spanking a cartoon woman's backside, so that Simone Legreete -"the meanest woman in the world" Jack Martin calls her - could receive his ultimate female punishment. :twisted: Whether or not you consider this an actual spanking or a missed opportunity I leave to your own opinion. You may be of the notion that converting an airplane's tail section into a paddle is too over the top to consider this a spanking as opposed to a beat-down. :?:
SmilinJackMarch30,1946-Simone Legreete.jpg
SmilinJackMarch30,1946-Simone Legreete.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Smilin Jack March 31, 1946 We move from Saturday to Sunday and the swatting scene is repeated. You may recall that the airplane's pilot, Downwind, is the longtime friend of Jack Martin and that we never see his full face [so handsome, women would swoon if they saw all his good looks at the same time]. :!: Simone is captured and arrested. Almost immediately she escapes from a local jail and there is talk of possible revenge but I didn't find mention of her in the strip again.
SmilinJackMarch31,1946 Simone Legreete.jpg
SmilinJackMarch31,1946 Simone Legreete.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

Moon Mullens
May 7, 1950 A before and after scene as Willie swats Mamie intentionally. He is upset with her because she has just informed him that she let his creditors know that his new laundry business has been a success.
MoonMullens Willie-Mamie May 7, 1950.jpg
MoonMullens Willie-Mamie May 7, 1950.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
butch46163@yahoo.com

using a plane tail as a spanking tool is over the top too blame she wasn`t spanked the old fashion way over the knee :lol: :lol: Nice find SweetSpot 8-) wonder where did Simone land after being swatted hard by the plane tail :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Sweetspot. Thanks for all your diligent research,
Sweetspot wrote:Whether or not you consider this an actual spanking or a missed opportunity I leave to your own opinion. You may be of the notion that converting an airplane's tail section into a paddle is too over the top to consider this a spanking as opposed to a beat-down.
Hmmmm! Certainly not what I would consider the ideal implement for spanking a woman's backside. Maybe... the point was that Downwind was such a skilled pilot with such perfect control of his plane that he was able to use its tail on her tail and not cause a serious injury. However... I would've preferred to see a man's hand mete out her punishment.

I like the Moon Mullins one (even though I would've liked it even better if the woman getting swatted had been pretty!) The idea of a woman bending over near a carpet, while someone else is on the other side with a carpet beater seems to be a fairly popular one.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

butch46163@yahoo.com wrote:using a plane tail as a spanking tool is over the top too blame she wasn`t spanked the old fashion way over the knee Nice find SweetSpot wonder where did Simone land after being swatted hard by the plane tail
hugob00m wrote:I like the Moon Mullins one (even though I would've liked it even better if the woman getting swatted had been pretty!) The idea of a woman bending over near a carpet, while someone else is on the other side with a carpet beater seems to be a fairly popular one.
Smilin' Jack March 31, 1946 DETAIL It appears that Simone's landing zone, after being swatted by Downwind's tail-section, was a simple plop onto the field where all the chase action was taking place. Mosely's joke here seems to be that it's Downwind - a character whose face is always partially hidden - is the one who gets to reveal the face of the villain who to this point has hidden her facial features behind her hair.
Smilin Jack March 31, 1946 DETAIL #2.jpg
Smilin Jack March 31, 1946 DETAIL #2.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Moon Mullens November 19,1930.jpg
Moon Mullens November 19,1930.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Yes, the rug beater joke is used repeatedly in Moon Mullens and we've also seen it in Bozo and Out Our Way. A variation on the same gag was offered in Moon Mullens 20 years earlier.
Sweetspot

Threats and Missed Opportunities Slap Happy Edition

Post by Sweetspot »

The Gumps January 15, 1946. Slapping a woman is unacceptable in most any case that doesn't involve bringing them out of hysteria. But when a spanking is in order slapping is particularly unappealing. Instead of being slapped these naughty ladies should have been spanked and that's why I'm calling these scenes missed opportunities. 'The Chief' isn't trying to seduce 'Handsome' that's actually the character's name. But certainly the chief has the right idea when it comes to keeping Mrs. Gump and her companion under control.
The Gumps January 15, 1946 Minneapolis Star.jpg
The Gumps January 15, 1946 Minneapolis Star.jpg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Steve Roper May 29, 1952. Rolf slaps Stormy and with Steve upset and surprised by this turn of events she quickly admits that she had it coming. She could have killed the poor sap with her negligent behavior!
SteveRoper[RolfSlapsStormy]May29,1952.jpg
SteveRoper[RolfSlapsStormy]May29,1952.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Nick Haliday March 11, 1954 Nick Haliday can be described as a sea going Mark Trail. In this story the woman is insisting on accompanying her two cohorts on their illegal treasure hunting mission. The boss insists rather adamantly that her presence is not required.
Nick Haladay March 11, 1954.jpg
Nick Haladay March 11, 1954.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Last edited by Sweetspot on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Joe Palooka March 26, 1950 - A lot of conniving adult females crossed the path of Joe Palooka and his companions over the years. As far as I know none of these 'ladies' were ever spanked. I guess in Joe's world it was OK to slap but not to spank.
Joe Palooka Slap March 26, 1950.jpg
Joe Palooka Slap March 26, 1950.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Terry [and the Pirates] April 2, 1950. The leader of the rebels 'disciplines' a chronic complainer.
Terry Slap April 2, 1950.jpg
Terry Slap April 2, 1950.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Adam Ames September 21, 1959 Certainly a missed opportunity here. Who needs a spanking more than a spoiled hysterical brat a willful 'juvenile' female who slashes, scratches and screams.
Adam Ames September 21, 1959 Slap.jpg
Adam Ames September 21, 1959 Slap.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Adam Ames September 19, 1959. This is how that "hysterical" woman was treated in a 1959 comic strip. As we said - she should have been spanked.
Adam Ames September 19, 1959.jpg
Adam Ames September 19, 1959.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
The Modern Woman and How to Manage Her St. Louis Post August 28, 1910 How the hysterical 'modern' woman was dealt with in 1910.
The Modern Woman and How to Manage Her St. Louis Aug 28, 1910.jpg
The Modern Woman and How to Manage Her St. Louis Aug 28, 1910.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
Muncie Evening Press June 13, 1913. In the comic strips, as in life itself, many other types of punishment were meted out to women [a story to be told on another day my friends] but as can be plainly seen - nothing tops a good spankin' :D
Munice Evening Press June 13, 1913.jpg
Munice Evening Press June 13, 1913.jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
butch46163@yahoo.com

Didn`t these guys know the only way to deal with a woman is over the knee :lol: only scum bags would slap a woman in the face :x love those old news stories :D :D :D Think that if spanking was use today on these modern women bottom we would see a far better world :lol: :lol:
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Interesting stuff, Phil, and we're all agreed that face-slapping should have been replaced by butt-whacking :lol: !

As for Simone Legreete, I'm sure Zack Mosley thought it was no more than justice for her to get her butt whacked by an airplane tail, but despite the tail-to-tail contact, this one is not technically a spanking by the standard used for our data base - the hand or hand-held implement must make contact (or at least be about to make contact) with the buttocks.

It does remind me of a pseudo-spanking in Flyin' Jenny that if we haven't seen, we will eventually: some young brat turns the ignition in the cockpit, causing Jenny to get whacked on the behind with the plane's propeller. Alas for us, she gives as good as she gets and turns the brat over her knee, spanking him thoroughly.

The Moon Mullens scenes were both actual spankings, although only one appears on-panel. I suppose at least the second one should be posted in Gallery 2.

The Modern Woman and How to Handle her came just before the Flapper era, perhaps anticipating some of its problems with wild young women. It's actually quite interesting.

Finally, the young woman being spanked because she wanted to eloped is also of this genre. One cannot help thinking that she's better off being spanked than running off with some young lout she's too young to see through. I also wonder at the young age for legal marriage in many states at the time. :?:
-- Web-Ed