Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i noticed in last week's pic by Joe Shuster that the man in the background watching the spanking seemed to be very small. this time the spanker seems small in comparison to the spankee and it actually looks to me like the same spankee only this time she's getting spanked by the small man who was in the background last week. do you know if this week's story was continued using the same characters? i like the over all shape and appearance of all of Shuster's spankees so far but the expressions of his spankees seem to be pretty subtle if you can see them at all. this week, while still subtle, her expression seems to indicate some pain and there's even a tear on her face. i'm finding both the drawings and the information you're posting with them to be very interesting :D . good job discovering the new scans of the secretary spanking by Frank Beaven :D . the spanker in this one seems suitably indignant but the spankee's expression is less telling..............perhaps she's thinking about what she's gonna buy with that raise :lol: . i have to agree with you about the spankee's expression in the one by Homer Provence............she does indeed look skeptical :lol: . personally i think this expression is much funnier than the gag. i do like the drawing of the spankee though along with her OTK position and the way her dress, panties and hose look. it all seems very sexy to me :D . i think the position of those long lower legs is interesting too...........as if she's not quite sure if she should stay or jump up and run :lol: . you won't find any tears in my eyes after hearing that you will have to extend the Humorama series another month :D . good job finding 4 more even if they were unexpected ;) . good updates again :D . thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED!! Really enjoy seeing Frank Beaven spanking Drawings and this one is nice! looks like the spanker is giving his secretary a good solid spanking! judging by the way his hand is landing on her bottom :lol: too bad her facial expression doesn`t show pain or struggle!maybe she just going to grin and bear and let her boss enjoy! :lol: Good otk and a plump bottom on the seretary! like it! The other Secretary spanking drawing from Homer Provence man secretary spanking was really popular day then is great! only wish the spanker had use his hand instead on that book1 :twisted: anyway the secretary by far is very nice looking and glamorous she kinda look like a gangster moll from a paper back novel or from a romance comic! unlike the spanker who look like one of Decarlo`s drawing :lol: great over the knees with the spankee`s dress pulled up showing her lace panty fitted nicely on her tight perk rump :D her facial expression to me make this drawing ! it look as though she saying what other choice I have but to accept this spanking from my boss :lol: humiliating!!! this would have beeen better in front of a class! :lol: love the plot from Joe Shuster Night of Horror as a woman under the spell of a hypnosis is made to strip and crawl between his legs for a spanking :twisted: like I said last week this remind me of Stanton! the woman is very shapely with a big rear and I can see by the tear in her eyes that the spanking hurts!!! being the man is short this seem like the best way to spank such a tall woman :lol: Joe Shuster still in his later day continue to draw beautiful women!! and this is a good drawing! THANKS 8-)
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:i noticed in last week's pic by Joe Shuster that the man in the background watching the spanking seemed to be very small. this time the spanker seems small in comparison to the spankee and it actually looks to me like the same spankee only this time she's getting spanked by the small man who was in the background last week. do you know if this week's story was continued using the same characters?
Despite the resemblance of these characters to one another, they are supposed to be different people. The small man (the husband in Nights of Horror #4) is not supposed to be Gerardo, the sinister stage hypnotist from Nights of Horror #6. Shuster did tend to use the same models for some reason - perhaps he didn't feel that the material deserved the effort to create new physical types. Many of the women resemble Lois Lane and her sister Lucy Lane, although with bigger busts, and some of the male characters resemble Superman himself!

However, I should mention that next week's update will feature the same Gerardo again, as there were two spankings in "Slaves of Gerardo".
butch wrote: man secretary spanking was really popular day then is great!
Yes, the noble tradition of spanking your secretary was honored many times at Humorama, comprising almost 20% of all their known "spankers"! I really love secretary spanking myself, and I think most everyone here agrees with you, Butch, that it's a great thing. You'll be glad to know I still have 3 secretary spankings left for the series, and we'll be seeing the first of them, by George Morrice, next week. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/29/2013

Post by web-ed »

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.
  • We continue our series on the spanking art of Joe Shuster with the second one from Nights of Horror #6, Slaves of Gerardo.
  • Humorama Update: A new scan of Dan DeCarlo's Secretary Spanking #2, provided by Steve W, gives us a surprising bit of information - Humorama briefly revived Wink magazine as a digest! We'll be seeing more of Wink as it was in the 1940's at a future date.
  • Humorama Series #133: And while we're on the subject of spanking secretaries, one we never get tired of, we begin a nine-part mini-series of cartoons by George Morrice with Secretary Spanking #36. Bad spelling is once again the compelling reason a young woman must submit to corporate corporal discipline!
I added a few more "Missed Opportunities" for spankings with some jungle girl, Blackhawk, and Lois Lane that might be of interest to CSR readers.

The nine Morrice cartoons we're going to see should be new to most CSR readers, as I don't believe I've ever seen any of them on the web before. Since my understanding of Humorama's history is not entirely complete, it's barely possible that Morrice's cartoons were not reprinted as frequently as those of the other Big Six cartoonists. I say that because most of these cartoons were taken either by Steve W. or myself from their first appearances back in the 50's, and none of these last 9 were collected by Mike, who was actively seeking them in the 60's. But whether they were reprinted or not, they're good to have, and one of the surprising revelations of the past two-and-a-half years of Humorama research is just how many "spankers" Morrice did.

The recent extension of the Humorama Series has put me in something of a quandary: I was planning to start a series of Humorama pastiches by Tim this week, but now I've had to push it back since I'd prefer to run them continuously until the end of the main series (#147). Also, I may have to begin Super-Spanking Summer III while the Humorama Series is still ongoing, something I'd hoped to avoid because of the difficulties I had last year running two major series at the same time. We'll have to play that one by ear as we get into June.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into finding anf researching this stuff!
web-ed wrote:We continue our series on the spanking art of Joe Shuster with the second one from Nights of Horror #6, Slaves of Gerardo.
Like so many of the Joe Shuster drawings, the spankee is cute and appealing, but the spanker sort of spoils it. Oh well!
web-ed wrote:Humorama Update: A new scan of Dan DeCarlo's Secretary Spanking #2, provided by Steve W, gives us a surprising bit of information - Humorama briefly revived Wink magazine as a digest! We'll be seeing more of Wink as it was in the 1940's at a future date.
Oh yeah! I really like the high resolution scan of this picture! I've seen it many times before, but this one shows all the details that were lost in the poorer scans!
web-ed wrote:Humorama Series #133: And while we're on the subject of spanking secretaries, one we never get tired of, we begin a nine-part mini-series of cartoons by George Morrice with Secretary Spanking #36. Bad spelling is once again the compelling reason a young woman must submit to corporate corporal discipline!
The quality of the art isn't up to the standards of Decarlo, Wenzel, or Ward... in fact it's not even as good as some other Morrice cartoons... and the gag is really cliche-ed, even for those days. However, as a historical record of Abe Goodman's humor magazines, it's worth knowing about. Thank you for posting it.
web-ed wrote:I added a few more "Missed Opportunities" for spankings with some jungle girl, Blackhawk, and Lois Lane that might be of interest to CSR readers.
I enjoy the "Missed Opportunities". I like to imagine how one of us would've handled those stories. I think that a lot of those old Lois Lane stories would've been so much better if Superman (or Superman in his Clark Kent guise), Perry White, and maybe even Jimmy Olsen had put that bratty reporter over their knees! I think a great closing panel would be one with Lois trying to type her latest scoop in a standing position because it hurts too much to sit down! It's too bad that the only time we ever saw Lois in an OTK position was when Superman had his robot "accidentally" spank her.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

very interesting historical information about the "Nights of Horror". again we have a very lovely spankee drawn by Shuster and again we get a very poor look at the spankee's face and again her hair is all in the proper position as if she was standing up rather than bent over. i do like the spankee's bottom with the nice panties and her dress neatly pushed up. you mentioned that the spanker looks "butch" but personally i think she's just totally terrifying :shock: :lol: . i don't know what's exactly going on with these drawings but something isn't right. there isn't one of these drawings by Shuster so far that looks to me as if he had started from scratch and drawn the whole scene. many of the spankees look as if they have either been drawn first, before the rest of the scene.............or added after the rest of the scene was done. looking at the small man who was the spanker in last week's drawing and the way he's holding his hands and at first i wondered if he was trying to put some kind of spell on the spankee. then i got to looking at last week's drawing and the hands are the same although the position of the arms are different. i can't help but think that Shuster is using some time saving devices rather than drawing all these scenes from scratch..........perhaps tracing certain elements from one drawing to another to save time. that would explain a lot about the heads of the spankees and his hands. i don't draw so i am at a disadvantage here so i'm hoping that Dan or Boom have some ideas on this and might be able to clear this up for me. i have, of course, seen this Dan DeCarlo secretary spanking many times before but i was highly pleased with all the new information you posted with this version :D . from what i gather, the end of these sorts of mags was almost upon us at this time. it's interesting just what kinds of things folks will try in hopes of keeping a business going when it seems the end is near. it looks to me like you have a really complete collection of these here at CSR :D . i was happy to see the Morrice "secretary" spanking that i had never seen before and even happier to learn that you have 8 more for us :D . i like this one with the nicely shaped young lady held over the desk and i thought the slip was a nice change of pace. i had the same reaction to the passer by that you did................as if this sort of thing happens all the time and she has no interest UNLESS.....her bottom is the one being spanked :lol: . the spanker is a wimp though. i would be letting her know that there is a progression to these spankings and that i would be raising her slip the next time...........and her panties would be coming down the time after that 8-) . it sounds like we have a lot to look forward to in the coming months :D . thanks for your continuing efforts to bring them to us. phil
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

I wonder if others seek another meaning than a sore hand for baldy in the George Morrice cartoon complaining about "not being able to keep it up for much longer."

Keep what up, sir? :oops:
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED!! Hav`nt seen any works by Doctor Cylon in some time hope he to see him soon 8-) Joe Shuster`s Night of Horror is very Twisted! and Slaves Of Gerardo is very strange! seem that in this drawing the man has this large tough looking woman to beat this young woman with a switch either as discipline or to break her! kinda like those Olga movies I watch on video :lol: anyway the drawing is good from Shuster with the girl bending over the table bottom out having her bottom whip soundly with that switch but to me it feel more B&D art than spanking art meaning this is more harsh and dark than the spanking we seen him draw in Superman! Don`t understand the Boss in George Morrice Sceretary spanked for bad spelling if I had a sceretary that I could spank for miss spelling a word I never grow tired of turning her over my knees :D well in this case over a desk :lol: The spanking itself is great like how the boss is whacking her bottom as she look in shock 8-) also like how another sceretary is walking by trying not to look! Wish the spankee had a much larger bottom and was otk but being over that desk is nice :lol: can`t get enough sceretaries spanking drawings! 8-) Now the boss in Dan Decarlo`s drawing knows how to spank a bad sceretary over the knees :D don`t know if this woman was new to the company but it seem the boss didn`t care! Great over the knees position with the spankee`s well shape rear up high! also love her long legs! think that the boss arm is to high meaning it would look kinda wierd when he bring it down! :lol:great animation of this well drawn spanking art from DeCarlo! Can`t wait to see the Super Summer Spanking Drawings!! 8-)
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/05/2013

Post by web-ed »

butch wrote:Hav`nt seen any works by Doctor Cylon in some time hope he to see him soon 8-) Joe Shuster`s Night of Horror is very Twisted!
I don't have anything else of Dr. Cylon's in my files, Butch, I'm sorry to say. I'll drop him a line soon and see if he's got anything more for us - I was always amazed at how much work he was producing for a while there. As for Nights of Horror, yes it is indeed very twisted, and the non-spanking stuff is even more so. We'll be seeing five more spanking examples in this series including this week's Eternal Bondage.

Before I get to this week's updates, I don't want to forget to announce that we are indeed fortunate that two of CSR's Resident Artists, Phil and B00m, are both in the middle of presenting new series in their respective galleries! Most of those who follow this update topic probably already know that, but just in case here are the links to
B00m's new O. T. Katie adventure
and Phil's A Walk in the Park.

Also, it's time for the March Report:
Pages searched: 2764
Total: 411298
Comic Spankings: 2

Interestingly, although I've been searching mainly through Golden Age Romance comics in digital format, the only thing I found there this month was the complete version of a spanking scene I first posted years ago, from Cowgirl Romances #1. I'll post the context for this one some time in the future. The first new spanking I found was online in some French comic - it's F/F but we will get around to it eventually. The second new spanking was one I had suspected existed for several years, but as the book was unavailable in digital format it has taken me all this time to find an affordable copy. I'm going to keep the details secret for now, but it was an Atlas Romance comic, and I suspect there may some others from that line although I don't have any other hot leads.

And as I mentioned last time, while searching for the one remaining Humorama spanking cartoon by Bill Wenzel I knew existed, I accidentally uncovered three more :) ! These are quite modern compared to the others and appear to date from the 70's (first appearance, that is). So six new spankings plus more information about a seventh made this a pretty good March!

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.
  • The Joe Shuster series continues with Nights of Horror #9, Eternal Bondage. And we relate how New York City confiscated Nights of Horror in the name of decency.
  • Humorama Update: A new scan of Dan DeCarlo's Spanked Jaywalker. We still don't know the date this cartoon first appeared, but now at least we know the date of its last appearance - May, 1981 - some 20 years after DeCarlo had left Humorama!
  • Humorama Series #134: We continue our George Morrice mini-series with one of the few cartoons that did not come from the collections of Web-Ed, Mike, or Steve W: Tiptopper's Newlywed Spanking, in which a young couple gets their marriage off to the best possible start!
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i really enjoyed all the historical background on New York City and the "Nights of Horror". i thought it was all fascinating research on your part and i appreciate all the effort it to bring it to us :D . i just hate that sort of censorship bullshit and i always thought that people who lived through WWII really ought to know better :x ................but i digress. i thought the pose of the spanker in this pic was very reminiscent of Superman..........not hard to see Shuster's background here :D . i too like the OTK position better and thought the spankee looked a bit stiff. her knees probably should have been on the floor in this position actually. i'm not sure just which version of DeCarlo's jaywalker spanking is the one you have posted first, but i sure do like that gag the best. we so seldom see any humorama dialog where the spankee actually says ouch as if the spanking really hurts :D . of course, i do like funbun's alterations on this one :lol: . again, you latest find carries some good information with it. i had no idea that there were any humorama publications around as late as 1981. i liked the gag on the Morrice newlywed spanking :lol: it has to be a pisser for a newly married young woman who was hoping to find a strong willed husband to take care of her :lol: . the OTK position could have been a little better but over all i agree with you that it is a satisfying spanker :D . btw, thanks for all the time you spend to go through so many pages each month in pursuit of these ;) . thanks for the plug about my new toon too. as near as i can tell they always get many more views than comments which is not a big surprise as that's pretty much what i get from my toon groups too. still it's nice that you mention it :D . thanks, phil
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Before I get to this week's updates, I don't want to forget to announce that we are indeed fortunate that two of CSR's Resident Artists, Phil and B00m, are both in the middle of presenting new series in their respective galleries! Most of those who follow this update topic probably already know that, but just in case here are the links to
B00m's new O. T. Katie adventure
and Phil's A Walk in the Park.
Thanks for the plug! I've already got some nice comments on my latest instalment of my current story, and now, maybe more people will see it.
web-ed wrote:The Joe Shuster series continues with Nights of Horror #9, Eternal Bondage. And we relate how New York City confiscated Nights of Horror in the name of decency.
I'm not into bondage myself, but I really hate censorship! I probably wouldn't have bought Nights of Horror myself, but I'd never try to prevent something like that from being sold.
web-ed wrote:Humorama Update: A new scan of Dan DeCarlo's Spanked Jaywalker. We still don't know the date this cartoon first appeared, but now at least we know the date of its last appearance - May, 1981 - some 20 years after DeCarlo had left Humorama!
Oh yeah! I'm always happy to see a nice, high-resolution scan of a Decarlo spanking cartoon! And the way this young lady looked, I'm sure that if she hadn't been caught jaywalking, someone would've come up with another excuse to spank her shapely backside!
web-ed wrote:Humorama Series #134: We continue our George Morrice mini-series with one of the few cartoons that did not come from the collections of Web-Ed, Mike, or Steve W: Tiptopper's Newlywed Spanking, in which a young couple gets their marriage off to the best possible start!
Even though Morrice's artwork isn't up to the standards of Wenzel, Stiles, or Decarlo, it IS a very funny gag... and a great way for the couple to start off their married life.
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!!! Love the differents scans of Dan DeCarlo`s JayWalker Spanked :lol: and for the first time the spankee doesn`t look like Betty or Veronica :shock: the otk is great and is her facial expression like how is she saying ouch when being spanked meaning it hurts :lol: Great great spanking drawing From Mr. DeCarlo! another good spanking drawing to me is George Morrice Newlywed Spanking now the gag is excellence only I think The Groom Father should have told him to spank his wife to show whose boss instead of his mother :lol: make me think is the mother spanking his father :lol: anyway the over the lap is good the spankee doesn`t have a large bottom like the one in DeCarlo`s Jay Walking spanking ! but since this is a DD spanking it good! 8-) Think this is the best way to start a Marriage 8-) Joe Shuster`s Eternal Bondage is more whipping than spanking but since the whip is hitting the woman on her bottom it might classified as a spanking just like a belt whipping which I wish the guy was using! having the woman face down over the bed is good only there should have been some pillows under her to prop her bottom up :D the guy in the drawing kinda looks like Superman :lol: seen some of Mr. Shuster`s fetish drawing before both M\f bondage and F\M bondage and whipping really love the otk spanking drawing of women better! so I`m saying this is a nice drawing! :twisted: THANKS!!
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/12/2013

Post by web-ed »

The Joe Shuster Series and George Morrice mini-series continue this week, and we start a new series of Humorama pastiches from Tim, who has created 11 cartoons with something close to the look and feel of the classic Humorama "spankers". This is pretty much the pattern we're going to follow with the updates for the rest of April.

• I posted three more missed opportunities for spankings in Humorama cartoons over in the Humorama section of this board.
  • The Joe Shuster series continues with Nights of Horror #11, Web of Evil. And Nights of Horror makes it to the U.S. Supreme Court!
  • Humorama Update: A new scan of Dan DeCarlo's Young Secretary Spanked.
  • Humorama Series #135: We continue our George Morrice mini-series with a spankee who wants her spanker to keep his eyes closed. You'd think she might realize it was in her own best interest that he be able to take accurate aim for the target.
  • Humorama Pastiche #1 by Tim: We inaugurate a new series of Humorama-like cartoons by Tim, beginning with Wife and Mistress. We'll be running these, with some interruptions, as a special treat until the end of the Humorama Series itself.
Last edited by web-ed on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to Humorama cartoons
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Where does that girl get off telling her boyfriend to keep his eyes shut? Does she think he is kissing her?
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I enjoyed your update this week!
web-ed wrote:I posted three more missed opportunities for spankings in Humorama cartoons over in the Humorama section of this board.
On the Kirk Stiles one, a more appropriate caption might've been, "Well, if you insist on having a SIT-DOWN STRIKE, I may have to STRIKE you where you SIT DOWN!
web-ed wrote:The Joe Shuster series continues with Nights of Horror #11, Web of Evil. And Nights of Horror makes it to the U.S. Supreme Court!
Not a great drawing... but the historical information was fascinating.
web-ed wrote:Humorama Update: A new scan of Dan DeCarlo's Young Secretary Spanked.
I love that cartoon! And I'm glad to see such a good scan of it!
web-ed wrote:Humorama Series #135: We continue our George Morrice mini-series with a spankee who wants her spanker to keep his eyes closed. You'd think she might realize it was in her own best interest that he be able to take accurate aim for the target.
I reminds me of a romance novel I once read an excerpt of. The hero spanked the heroine and lifted her skirt to do it. When it was over she seemed more outraged that he... as she put it, "Saw me... down there!"
web-ed wrote:Humorama Pastiche #1 by Tim: We inaugurate a new series of Humorama-like cartoons by Tim, beginning with Wife and Mistress. We'll be running these, with some interruptions, as a special treat until the end of the Humorama Series itself.
Ha ha! A great idea! I may have to contribute a "Humorama-style" drawing before you end this feature!
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i have to agree with all your complaints about this week's drawing by Joe Shuster. also, i kept wondering where the spankee's arms are. the information on the supreme court was totally fascinating. it sound from your break down that most of them didn't really even understand exactly what they were voting on or at least why it was important. thanks for going to all the trouble to give us this info :D . it looks to me as if you've managed to get a very complete collection of this DeCarlo secretary spanking and i really like the clarity and detail of this last one :D . good work. thanks for the George Morrice eyes shut spanking. i don't remember seeing this one before. odd gag and odd OTK position too. still, it's a spanker so i'll take it :lol: . i like the way Michael has done a parody of a humorama magazine :D . i think it's a great idea. i also like the expressions on the girls faces as well as the OTK position but my favorite is the way he's drawn the flimsy fabric of their dresses so that they really outline those bottoms :D . i'll we looking forward to the others in this series. good updates again. thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hi WEB-ED CSR!!!!!! Want to let you know that there is a spanking of Francine by her husband Stan on American Dad in an episode call The Missing Kink :lol: not to give away any plot but the spanking she gets is otk 8-) :D It is airing this weekend on the television network or you can get a sneek peek of it on youtube :lol: Thanks for the imfo about why the Supreme Court wanted to destroy Joe Shuster fetish magazines :x didn`t know that the censorship was that strict at that time! :x anyway this week drawing from Mr. Shuster Web Of Evil isnt such a bad drawing although It would have been much better to see the woman spanked across her Aunt`s lap with the hairbrush :lol: I believe Mr. Clancy wanted to add some humiliation to this drawing by have Shuster draw the woman in an Arkwark position by having her twisted so that her very large bottom is thrusted up high for the hairbrush :lol: think the woman should have had something largerer like a paddle or strap! good drawing! Like the reaction of the woman who wanted her date to close his eyes while he spank her in George Morrice drawing maybe she made a deal that he could spank her on the panty only if he doesn`t look :lol: the spankee do have a nice size rear an though she not fully over his knees this is a good drawing! like how the guy is spanking with his eyes close!!! Dan DeCarlo`s Young Secretary Spank is one of his best works 8-) The otk is great and the young secretary facial expression is outstanding as she looks up at the older woman! the older secretary do miss those days being spank across her boss`s knee :lol: also like the young secretary snug tight panty! great drawing from MR.DeCarlo 8-) another great drawing this week is Tim Wife and Mistress spanked! talk about a good fantasty! really like how both women are across their lover`s knees being spanked at the same time :twisted: this is one cool guy! like how both shapely women are laying nicely across his knees as they are being spanked soundly :lol: but to me it the fantasy itself that makes this drawing stands out! GREAT GTREAT DRAWING FROM TIM :lol: 8-) 8-)
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

I was pleased to see that the unfortunately named US Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter got a mention this week.

I remember reading years ago that Felix had a system for deciding if a book was indecent or not. If Felix got an erection he deemed the book to be obscene. The older Felix got the more liberal
censorship of books in the USA became. 8-)
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

willjohn wrote:I was pleased to see that the unfortunately named US Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter got a mention this week.

I remember reading years ago that Felix had a system for deciding if a book was indecent or not. If Felix got an erection he deemed the book to be obscene. The older Felix got the more liberal
i guess that's why they call it the "high" court :lol: . phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 04/12/2013

Post by web-ed »

On Tim's Humorama Pastiche:
hugob00m wrote:Ha ha! A great idea! I may have to contribute a "Humorama-style" drawing before you end this feature!
We'd all love to see you take a whack at this, b00m!

On the U.S. Supreme Court's decision against Nights of Horror:
overbarrel49 wrote:the information on the supreme court was totally fascinating. it sound from your break down that most of them didn't really even understand exactly what they were voting on or at least why it was important. thanks for going to all the trouble to give us this info :D .
willjohn wrote:I was pleased to see that the unfortunately named US Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter got a mention this week.

butch wrote:Thanks for the info about why the Supreme Court wanted to destroy Joe Shuster fetish magazines :x didn`t know that the censorship was that strict at that time! :x
I doubt that the Framers of the Constitution, wise as they were, realized just how intense the assault on American freedom would be over the years. Certainly those who hoped the courts would become "the bulwark of our freedoms" as I believe someone said, were to be bitterly disappointed as time after time the courts upheld expansive interpretations of what were supposed to be very limited government powers (see for a recent example Chief Justice Roberts' ruling on Obamacare, which fundamentally alters the relationship between citizen and state, and ignores the responsibility of the Court to strike down legislation plainly beyond the power of Congress to enact).

Butch mentioned that he didn't realize how strict censorship used to be. The tendency of the courts before 1960 had been to accept the power of the states to punish obscenity, the only real limits being on prior restraint (as I noted on the page) and on the Federal Government, which was largely restricted to forbidding the sending of obscene materials through the mail (a very serious offense). So censorship was generally allowed and considered, incredibly enough, a matter to be left to the local police. This was the state of the law at the time of Kingsley Books v. Brown.

During the 1960's, the courts began to chip away at the power of local police to decide on their own what constituted obscenity, and began to substitute their own wacky ideas, culminating in Miller v. California (1973). Such undefinable "standards" as "appeals to prurient interest," "has no redeeming social importance", and the always-confusing "average person applying contemporary community standards" (Miller) has left obscenity law a complete muddle today, with no one knowing what could be considered obscene. In general, Federal prosecutions are rare these days, but here in Illinois about twenty years ago a comic shop was prosecuted for obscenity and found guilty. The focus on child pornography (a legitimate target for authorities, unlike material that only involves adults) and limited prosecution resources have probably done more than any recent court decisions to aid the cause of freedom.
butch wrote:Want to let you know that there is a spanking of Francine by her husband Stan on American Dad in an episode call The Missing Kink :lol: not to give away any plot but the spanking she gets is otk 8-) :D It is airing this weekend on the television network or you can get a sneek peek of it on youtube :lol:
Thanks for the heads-up, Butch! :) I really meant to record this one on Sunday night, but I was so tired I forgot! I followed your alternate suggestion and downloaded the clip from YouTube (provided by Fox itself, so they can't complain when I present it on CSR!). I've never liked American Dad, so I would have missed this completely if you hadn't advised us of it. It's not a bad scene on its own, although Fox included another scene that I really hated because it had some gratuitous animal abuse that wasn't the least bit funny and which I will certainly edit out before presenting the clip on CSR.

Later update: I was later able to view the episode on demand, so I've got the whole thing now.
-- Web-Ed