Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

the pin up work from Baron von Lind is indeed top notch and i agree with you wholeheartedly that the ladies from that era still look good to us today :D . nice coloring by Doc Cylon as usual and he sure has a way with making those bottom cheeks bounce in his animations. i like the Wenzel secretary spanking. good otk position and i particularly like the position of her legs which appear to be dangling. the expanse of flesh above the hose is always nice too :D . i too like her unhappy expression as well as the annoyed expression of the spanker. good coloring in the Oxken version and the removal of the background makes the whole scene pop. do you have any idea about the date of the original publication of this? the hose and garter belt of the spankee indicates that it's pretty old but the very narrow tie on the spanker makes me think it might have been in the early to mid 60s. good observations about the Kirt Stiles drawing. the almost non existent bottom on the spankee is the first thing that jumped out at me. as for the gag..............i see nothing wrong with spanking the little woman for over spending :D . i have a tendency to agree with Dan about Mosley being a spanko. as you remarked, there's nothing conclusive here but i do like the "enthusiasm" of the spanker. you commented about the otk position being awkward but sometimes when you're trying to give an unwilling girl a "yank and spank" sort of spanking things don't go as well as you would like. in my own experience i have noticed that when a girl is really struggling it's sometimes all you can do to hold her down and get the swats landing on her bottom and i can see this being the case in this particular panel. Mosley may have been just trying to depict this sort of struggle between spanker and spankee and that might account for the otk position. of course, it could be that this is just what i would like to think but in either case, i prefer to think he was a spanko :lol: . good updates. thanks for all the hard work. phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED!! WOW another beautiful Cowgirl being spanked by Doctor Cylon!!! This is a great drawing by Baron Von Lind and as always Doctor Cylon knows how to deal with a bad girl especially a female Outlaw :lol: Love the way her bottom is bouncing and turning red from the paddle strokes! Saddle sores :lol: Bill Wenzel Secretary spanking is nice good otk position of the secretary nice to see the spanker is using the right hand to spank with this time 8-) Also love that two other secretaries are standing at the door watching and that the tall blonde woman seem to be holding her bottom meaning she must have been on the recieving end of a few panty whackings herself. :D Would love to see how the boss`s son deal with these ladies when they mess up! Maybe he uses a cane on their bottoms :lol: Kirk Stiles Wife spanking is nice being the spankee is pretty love how she say ouch that to hard for a hat while her husband spanks her tush Classic :lol: the over the knees position is ok but her legs is cramp on that sofa! I also don`t like the panty she is wearing I thought they were shorts.She have a big bottom juding by her thick legs and small waist and top!! Love her facial expression :D Zack Mosley must be a spanko seeing that there where plenty of spankings in his Smilin Jack comic strips 8-) As much as I love the spankings in his comics the otk position are way off Seem that most of the women are floating in the air while being spanked :lol: #10 is great and the spanking giving to Cindy is hard! but the otk position is some what off look like Lone Jones is trying to hold on to Cindy as he spanks her :lol: The best over the knee spanking I saw was when Cindy Spanked her daughter. Any way love this week drawings THANKS!!!!!
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Wow, Web-ed, thanks a lot for all the credit you gave me! It's true, for years I have tried to corral all the Smilin' Jack cartoons I can find, with the intention (natch) of finding all of Zack Mosley's spanking panels. For a while there, I even corresponded with Mosley's widow, who lives (or lived) in Texas, I believe.

As for my supposition about Mosley being a spanko: Google tells us that The Adventures of Smilin' Jack ran for not-quite 40 years. (October 1, 1933 to April1, 1973.) You have demonstrated TEN (10!) panels in which Jack -- or a friend -- is spanking a lovely young lady. Now, math has never been my strong suit, but... isn't that more than one spanking panel for every four (4) years of the strip's existence? Then I will ask, what other comic strip has been so bountiful with its spankings?

Of course, right off the bat I am excepting such stuff as The Katzenjammer Kids and Little Iodine, since for those comic strips, the spankings actually seemed to be their whole reason for existing in the first place! But those spanks were directed at little kids, were not in the least sexually arousing, and were of a totally different genre altogether.

Wouldn't it be fun for us -- you, me, the other members -- to be magically transported to, oh, let's say 1941. We could rummage through all the comic books available to us, and find every single spanking panel ever published! The reason I selected the year 1941 is because that year, there were at least SEVEN (7!) American films that included a scene that showed a lovely lady being spanked. No other year has been so accommodating to our shared passion.

But you, Web-ed -- YOU have been the next best thing to being transported to the past... because you have brought the past to US! God bless you my friend, and long may you spank!

Cheers,
Dan
hugob00m

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/27/2012

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:The tenth spanking from the comic strip Smilin' Jack certainly makes us wonder if creator Zack Mosley was a spanko, as Dan Rivera, who provided this scan, has long maintained. Dan also suggested that because we had previously counted a double-spanking only once, we should go back and renumber all the old spankings, which we have now done. We also revised the Smilin' Jack index (located on the same page with spanking #9). A lot of work, but worth it for the strip that must have had more adult M/F spankings than any other.
There still seems to be conflicting evidence on whether Zack Mosley was or was not a spanko. On the side of saying he was, there's she number of spankings he put into his strip... One more than we previously thought! And, unlike Captain Marvel, where men and children were subject to spankings too, the spankees in Smilin' Jack were invariably pretty women... usually spanked by the men who were the most attracted to them. (except for one mother/daughter spanking)

Another thing that makes me think Mr. Mosley was perhaps "one of us" is the way he draws the women. The pretty ones always have such nicely-rounded backsides. Surely a man who appreciates the shape of a feminine derriere that much must've at least given his favorite woman a pat now and then... at the very least! ;)

The thing that has always bothered me is the positioning. The newest one that Dan found is better than the rest. At least the man is sitting on something instead of standing with his knees only slightly bent and the woman levitating in front of him! Maybe in some of those other strips, the women were using a flying harness, like Lucy had in an old episode of I Love Lucy. :lol: Does anyone remember that?
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

A great Doc Cylon this week, what a cute bottom.Liked the play on words-not "saddle sore" but instead we could say she is "paddlesore!" LOL
The spanking for overspending on a hat is indeed something that could have been on I Love Lucy. Only we would not have gotten to see Lucy's underwear on TV
The other secretary spanking is a good one, and I have seen it elsewhere.
Whether or not Zach Moseley ever had any actual experiences with spanking we of course do not know, but we do know he was fascinated by the topic, and certainly believed that errant females needed their rumps roasted.
I seem to remember another spanking I saw in that strip. Think it was not Jack but another guy who when he upends the woman and spanks tells her something like "this will be something you will remember for a long time."
The names of women in the strip are memorable, like Sable, Sulky, and Sizzles.Now I have to think that a girl called Sizzles is likely one who needs a spanking !
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/27/2012

Post by web-ed »

daneldorado wrote:But you, Web-ed -- YOU have been the next best thing to being transported to the past... because you have brought the past to US! God bless you my friend, and long may you spank!
Thank you very much, Dan. Most of the comments this week revolved around Smilin' Jack and whether Zack Mosley was one of us. An interesting discussion, and I don't have anything more to add at this point. Tanner raised the intriguing possibility that there may have been an eleventh spanking in the strip - that would be a tremendous find if it exists!

Dan also raised what I call the spanking density question:
"isn't that more than one spanking panel for every four (4) years of the strip's existence? Then I will ask, what other comic strip has been so bountiful with its spankings?
The answer is none (that we know of), and of course not including the "little girl" strips or Katzenjammer Kids because they are of a "totally different genre altogether". We can only conclude that either Mosley was a true spanko or if not that he at least "believed that errant females needed their rumps roasted" as Tanner put it.

Phil asked in reference to that Wenzel secretary spanking
overbarrel49 wrote:do you have any idea about the date of the original publication of this?
Still no solid information on the date, but I'd guess it was 1955 or '56 based on Wenzel's style which had changed by '57.

I'm about out of classic strip spankings for the moment, and in fact I've only got one other minor item remaining from the Golden Age, but of course the search continues, albeit at a slow pace. I do have a couple of spankings from the British strip The Gambols and some modern comics spankings, after which we may well have Super-Spanking Summer II.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 02/03/2012

Post by web-ed »

For links please visit the Home Page (click on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page to get there).

January searches:
  • Humorama Search - Found one new version of an existing Homer cartoon. I still believe there's at least one more out there, and will be getting my hands on a few more of the old digests.
  • January Golden Age Comics Search - 2887 pages searched, bringing the total to 347,998. No new spankings.
This Week's Updates:
  • A Julius Zimmerman drawing of a girl with a spankable bottom who gets pinched by Doctor Cylon.
  • We confirm the details of the first Bill Wenzel secretary spanking cartoon and add a new scan.
  • Humorama Series #74: applied psychology from Kirk Stiles takes the form of a psychology book applied where it's needed most!
  • Collegeboy sent us a one-whack spanking with a broom from Ella Cinders.
  • Another single-swat scene, this time on video from I Dream of Jeannie. Although Barbara Eden never got the full-bore OTK treatment as we would all have loved to see, she does yelp delightfully after getting one little swat with a clipboard here. Robin pointed out the clip was available on YouTube, and we edited it down to its essentials so our viewers can enjoy the spank without wasting time.
  • The Silver-Age Supergirl Spanking Search has come to an end. As everyone including ourselves predicted, no Superman/Supergirl spanking exists, even though we extended the search well into the Bronze Age. Even if you're not interested in the details, you might want to follow the link because we've added some examples of missed opportunities, and to ease our collective frustration, a fake image of what would have been the most spectacular super-spanking of all time: Superman spanking Supergirl, complete with added pain stars!
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED!! This is really a dark day for fans of comic book spanking :( NO SUPERGIRL SPANKING :cry: !!! Can`t understand why is it that super heroines are never spank but male hero are :? Superman was spank so was Robin but no Batgirl or Supergirl :evil: sure Wonder Woman was spank in some of her comic but she never got a full over the knee spanking that I believe she crave from a man Steve Travor :lol: Maybe comic book writers fear that spanking a super heroin was degrading to females although plenty of women was spanked in movies tv shows and comic books back then or maybe they felt that since these women now had super power no man would dare lay a hand on them :lol: Anyway here`s my thought on this week spanking arts! Julius Zimmerman Girl with the spankable Bottom get pinch by Doctor Cylon is good and with a bottom like that Doctor Cylon done the right thing in pinching it!! :lol: Remember when it was a time guys use to pinch girls with beautiful well shape bottoms to let them know how much we liked it oh how times change :lol: Also Zimmerman women kinda look like Ward`s large breasts and rear! Bill Wenzel secretary spanking is also good nice bottom on the spankee great position but I notice the spanker`s legs are spread wide apart and the spankee is somewhat between it :lol: her neck is also twisted.Love Kirk Stiles`s Psycholgy Book Applied spanking Being the spankee is tuck under the arm of the spanker to be spanked something I love seeing especially in movies like Forsaking each others and The Falcon and The co-ed Where the women was tuck under the arm of the spanker to be spanked 8-) Great large panty covered rear on the spankee seem that the doctor is holding her with no problem and enjoying himself although if I was him I would have been using my hand to spank that big bottom of her`s with instead of that book but that was the joke :lol: great drawing from Mr. stiles! Never seen Ella Cinder comic strip befor now and it too bad she wasn`t spank and how great this strip would have been to see her giving that old lady a much deserve over the knee spanking for all the abuse she gave her not only being swat with a broom but also kick in the tush :lol: Like how the characters are drawn Ella remind me of Nancy`s Aunt in the comic . Jeannie should have gotten more than one swat with that Clipboard and the writers of this show should have made her get spanked on a few episodes unlike Bewitched who could zap away to escape a spanking Jeannie was under her Master order so Major Nelson could do what ever he wanted to do to that bottom! Maybe even have her zap him a Hairbrush to spank her with :lol: Well it was good to see her bottom whack just once :D
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Shame about Supergirl.
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Another great week.Agree that Barbara Eden could have used more than just one smack. Too bad there never was a full-fledged spanking of her in her flimsy Jeannie costume.
Though there was no Supergirl spanking found, the fake totally captures the feel and texture of comic book spankings from back in those days. It was absolutely the right choice to have her spanked over her costume, rather than try to make it contemporary by baring her bottom. Find oneself saying it just could have happened back then in a comic.
Actually, I am all in favor that when it comes to spanking superheroines that it be over their costumes, which are usually tight-fitting, skimpy,or both
PAM! first time I have ever seen a girl's name used to illustrate the sound of a spanking. A nice variation.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

while i can understand the temptation depicted in this week's Doc Cylon modification, i too would have preferred a nice hand or paddle ;) . i don't understand what power it is that prevents the young lady from falling over however...............it seems to defy the law gravity..........in more ways than one :lol: . i like the new scan of the Wenzel secretary spanking and especially the confirmation that this was the first Humorama spanker. great information :D . i like Boom's observation that it got enough of a favorable response for Wenzel and the other artists to continue doing them ;) . Stiles must have been looking at an old Norman Rockwell print before he did this one. i do like the idea of "applying" that idea, and the book to a grown woman :lol: . i like the pleased look on the spanker's face too. i'm not a fan of this position but it seems pretty well done at that. thank for posting the original art too. i never heard of Ella Cinders. interesting comment on the times even if there is just one swat. the clipboard swat for Jeannie is a good idea :D . too bad they didn't take it a little farther, or at least show the swat landing. as you noted, it wasn't a surprise not to find a Superman/Supergirl spanking. i appreciate all the effort it took to look and all the history you've presented along the way. thanks, phil
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Just another thought on the Superman/Supergirl spanking. Can you imagine how much a spanking from Superman would hurt! Maybe there should be a panel added- an after the spanking one, showing Supergirl with a pillow tied to her bottom, pain stars, and her standing up eating, not able to sit.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 02/03/2012

Post by web-ed »

Tanner wrote:Just another thought on the Superman/Supergirl spanking. Can you imagine how much a spanking from Superman would hurt! Maybe there should be a panel added- an after the spanking one, showing Supergirl with a pillow tied to her bottom, pain stars, and her standing up eating, not able to sit.
That might be beyond my meager artistic abilities, although if I can find a suitable Supergirl pose I'll think about it. I suppose almost any standing-up pose could work - then I'd just have to find a drawing of a pillow somewhere. Perhaps I could use that one Jack Cole drew under the gangster girl's bottom after Plastic Man spanked her.

Your idea reminds me that somewhere I have an actual panel of Zatanna rubbing her bottom (after having taken a pratfall). If I can find the issue, I suppose I could rewrite the dialogue to make it look like a post-spanking panel - a rather twisted :twisted: idea!
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 02/10/2012

Post by web-ed »

For links please visit the Home Page (click on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page to get there).
  • Doctor Cylon switches briefly to photography, where he shows that a picture of a bare-bottomed girl needs the same enhancement as a drawing: some nice red coloring in a strategic location!
  • We update a Kirk Stiles cartoon of a woman who gets spanked for raiding the chocolate box with a new scan from Dan Rivera and an altered version from Oxken.
  • Humorama Series #75: more from Kirk Stiles but without a caption. All we can say for sure is that the spankee has a mighty surprised look on her face!
  • A Humor Section extra: new Humorama Cover Gallery! I've been able to obtain many cover scans even of books I don't own, so I decided a cover gallery was in order. Honestly, there is a dual purpose in my doing this: I want the covers out there for the pure enjoyment it may bring us to revisit these old digests, so out-of-step with modern times, and also advertise those few I'm starting to offer for sale on our sister site CSW. In fact, I'm going to have to post a topic announcing the availability of these digests for sale to try to drive some more traffic over there. That does NOT mean I'm going to commercialize CSR! Apart from occasional links to CSW, nothing is going to change - CSR will still be all-free and ad-free (except for the Links Page). I'm not criticizing blogs and sites with ads up and down both margins of their pages, because I understand their need to raise money, it's just that I couldn't bear to do that to CSR, so my solution is to create a 2nd site (CSW) which is almost pure advertising, leaving CSR uncontaminated. In the end it may not prove to be practical, but I wanted to try.
  • From Mike's collection is a spanking threat in Rex Morgan, M.D. that he cut out from the Milwaukee Sentinel back in the 50's. This one's been waiting a long time to see the light of day again! Now it's true that this is only a threat and not an actual spanking, and for that reason it won't be placed in the Comics Spanking Data Base, but I still consider it a rare and worthwhile item. Mike cut out and preserved many interesting newspaper items over the years, from a professional Kiss Me Kate rehearsal I've never seen before to local and national advice columns that mention spanking! I don't know when I can get around to these items, but I will, sooner or later.

And readers may rest assured that this does not mean I don't have any more comic spankings! Not only do I have a couple of spankings from the British strip The Gambols, I've also got enough foreign comics and modern comics examples to keep us busy for a while, plus enough "fan art" to launch another Super-Spanking Summer!

If that weren't enough, I have traced or deduced the existence of five more Golden Age spankings that have never been seen anywhere on the internet as far as I know! :D Unfortunately, these are all rare and somewhat valuable books, and either I have not been able to find copies yet or I could not afford the price (hundreds of dollars) of those I have found. But I shall never rest until I have obtained all five of them and brought them to the pages of CSR!
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

Doc Cylon sure does have an eye for bottoms that should have been spanked even if they weren't originally :lol: . he has indeed nicely colored the bottom of this happy spankee :D . ok, i have questions about the "chocolate" spanking by Kirk Stiles. the original post and the 7/11 update have been cropped so that his signature no longer appears although you had no trouble telling that it was done by Stiles. in the first one with the "chocolate" gag, posted by Dan, his signature is clearly visible. then in the Gee-Whiz update, also provided by Dan the signature has again been cropped out. if you look closely right above the quotation mark that starts the gag, you can see the dot for the I in Stiles. the rest of his signature is underneath the caption. i don't know what's going on here but if i was Stiles, i think i'd be pissed at having my signature cropped out :lol: . perhaps, as you mentioned, this is an early work and he hadn't yet learned to put his signature away from the edges :?: . anyone got any thoughts about this? i highly approve of the Oxken enhancements to this one :D i guess Stiles just liked fat thighs :lol: . i like the other Kirk Stiles spanking too. the spanker just looks really pleased with himself as if he finally got around to a spanking that's long over due. one thing is certain, it's come as a total and unwelcome surprise to the spankee :lol: . good though by the good Doctor Morgan. too bad it was just a threat. i like the idea of the cover gallery. i took a quick look at it and i have a feeling i'm gonna find it very interesting..............great idea :D . good updates as usual. thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED :!: Really really love your collection of the many Humor magazines that you posted and all I can say is those were the good old days when seeing drawings of wives secretaries and any other kind of women being spanked was the norm and artist such as Bill Ward Dan Decarlo Kirk Stiles along with many others ruled. 8-) Too bad they don`t use spanking no more in drawings today :cry: wish I Knew who this lady is with the most beautiful butt muffins I ever seen redden by Doctor Cylon who to me done a great job was it over the knees or with a paddle ? :lol: By the way did she thank him for spanking her because she was bad and needed it or that she was glad it was over ? :lol: :lol: The Kirk Stiles woman get spanked for Raiding Chocolate seem to be a remake of the woman husband acting like her father :? Mr. Stiles didn`t do a good job drawing the spanking in this one even though the woman is well shaply nice breasts and figure the spanking is way off look like he is spanking her thighs instead of her bottom :? also don`t like the panties she wearing or is that her dress? the spanking position is alright and he is using the right hand to spank with :D only I think this could have been better! Thumbs up to Oxken for doing a much much better drawing :!: Great otk position were this time you could see the spankee bottom :lol: Nice lace panties 8-) Love the second Kirk Stiles spanking although I don`t have a clue why she is being spanked :? Unlike the first drawing the over the knees position is excellent nice large panties bottom very spankable! the only flaw is the spanker is spanking with the wrong hand! Maybe because he had to use it to hold her legs downs to stop her from kicking something I love seeing a woman do while being spanked telling me the spanking is hurting her bottom :lol: also love the shock look on her face :shock: making this a great drawing from Mr. Stiles :!: :!: Rex Morgan should have giving Lila a spanking for feeling sorry for herself because she blind :lol: Maybe it would have been offensive because she is married ;) Great threat but wish there was a spanking to follow! Can`t wait to see all the spanking comic you got from around the world!!!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 02/10/2012

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote: ok, i have questions about the "chocolate" spanking by Kirk Stiles. the original post and the 7/11 update have been cropped so that his signature no longer appears although you had no trouble telling that it was done by Stiles. in the first one with the "chocolate" gag, posted by Dan, his signature is clearly visible. then in the Gee-Whiz update, also provided by Dan the signature has again been cropped out. if you look closely right above the quotation mark that starts the gag, you can see the dot for the I in Stiles. the rest of his signature is underneath the caption. i don't know what's going on here but if i was Stiles, i think i'd be pissed at having my signature cropped out :lol: . perhaps, as you mentioned, this is an early work and he hadn't yet learned to put his signature away from the edges :?: . anyone got any thoughts about this? i highly approve of the Oxken enhancements to this one :D i guess Stiles just liked fat thighs :lol: .
Phil,
Glad you liked this week's updates. As for Stiles' signature, here's my reconstruction:
  1. Dan's 1st version with chocolate gag and signature I believe to be a photostat of the original printing. I don't know exactly which digest it was in or what year it was, but I would guess it was 1958-59. It must have been printed on an interior page, so no truncation was needed.
  2. Dan's 2nd version is from what was almost certainly the cartoon's 2nd appearance, on the splash page of the Oct. '65 Gee-Whiz. Since it was on the splash page, Abe Goodman needed to make room for the masthead and indicia. He had two choices: reduce the art so it would fit in a smaller area, or truncate it. He chose the latter, which I believe was his usual practice. So this was entirely Goodman's doing and in no way Stiles' fault (by 1958, Stiles had already been in the business for more than twenty years, so he knew where to place his signature).
How did Stiles feel about it? He may very well have been pissed off, as you suggest, but he was powerless to do anything about it: publisher Martin Goodman owned all the rights as well as the physical artwork once he paid for the cartoon the first time (and the maximum Stiles could have received would have been $15.00, since I know that's what Dan DeCarlo received). In theory, Goodman could probably have reprinted the cartoon without so much as paying a reprint fee, although I know Humorama did in fact pay the artists a 2nd time when their cartoons were reprinted. Biographical information on Stiles is scant, but I believe that in 1965 he had recently moved to Florida and was teaching art there, and that he was no longer selling cartoons to Humorama, so perhaps he just considered it part of the past.
butch wrote:The Kirk Stiles woman get spanked for Raiding Chocolate seem to be a remake of the woman husband acting like her father :? Mr. Stiles didn`t do a good job drawing the spanking in this one even though the woman is well shaply nice breasts and figure the spanking is way off look like he is spanking her thighs instead of her bottom :? also don`t like the panties she wearing or is that her dress?
Butch,
You're right about it being a remake but it's in the other direction: the "Raiding Chocolate" came first (see my explanation/timeline above). Abe Goodman sometimes rewrote the caption when he reprinted a cartoon. Either he thought the 2nd gag was better or he was trying to obscure the fact that the cartoon was in fact a reprint.

Stiles usually did draw shapely breasts, but with undergarments as with much else he was woefully inconsistent. This is one of those cases where they don't look like cami-knickers and it doesn't look like a half-slip either, which is why I suggested it might be pantyhose. I'm going to have more to say about Stiles' bulging thighs and strange underwear in future installments of the Humorama Series, together with some young women modeling old-style underwear for us :D .

On the foreign comics spankings: I hope you won't be disappointed, as I'm sure you've already seen at least one of them. I wish everything I posted could be a CSR exclusive, but that's simply not possible nor, I suppose, desirable. Although it certainly isn't the greatest, I can guarantee you won't have seen the modern stuff before, so that at least will have the virtue of novelty.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

web-ed wrote:Phil,
Glad you liked this week's updates. As for Stiles' signature, here's my reconstruction:

Dan's 1st version with chocolate gag and signature I believe to be a photostat of the original printing. I don't know exactly which digest it was in or what year it was, but I would guess it was 1958-59. It must have been printed on an interior page, so no truncation was needed.
Dan's 2nd version is from what was almost certainly the cartoon's 2nd appearance, on the splash page of the Oct. '65 Gee-Whiz. Since it was on the splash page, Abe Goodman needed to make room for the masthead and indicia. He had two choices: reduce the art so it would fit in a smaller area, or truncate it. He chose the latter, which I believe was his usual practice. So this was entirely Goodman's doing and in no way Stiles' fault (by 1958, Stiles had already been in the business for more than twenty years, so he knew where to place his signature).
hi web-ed,

it hadn't even dawned on me that there would be difference between the splash page and an interior page..........duh! the way you have it laid out here makes good sense and may explain what happened to the signatures on lots of drawings like these that appeared in mags and are now just floating around the internet without signatures. i'm finding all this really interesting. looks like i'm getting more and more WEB-EDucated as time goes on :D
web-ed wrote:How did Stiles feel about it? He may very well have been pissed off, as you suggest, but he was powerless to do anything about it: publisher Martin Goodman owned all the rights as well as the physical artwork once he paid for the cartoon the first time (and the maximum Stiles could have received would have been $15.00, since I know that's what Dan DeCarlo received). In theory, Goodman could probably have reprinted the cartoon without so much as paying a reprint fee, although I know Humorama did in fact pay the artists a 2nd time when their cartoons were reprinted. Biographical information on Stiles is scant, but I believe that in 1965 he had recently moved to Florida and was teaching art there, and that he was no longer selling cartoons to Humorama, so perhaps he just considered it part of the past.
interesting information. i hadn't thought about the magazine owning the pics once they were paid for but i guess i should have known. i have done some pics to illustrate stories i did for "Discipline and Desire" and they offered me a choice of selling them the pics outright with "Discipline and Desire" printed on the pic as well as my logo or selling them first publication rights so i could post them to my toon groups after they had published them. interesting that humorama did pay them for reprints. i wonder if that was part of a contract with the artists? i didn't know that Stiles taught art so that is interesting information too. thanks for the clarification and all the historical info :D . phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Humorama Contracts

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:interesting that humorama did pay them for reprints. i wonder if that was part of a contract with the artists?
Almost certainly it was not part of the contract. Although I have never seen Humorama's files (which were probably thrown away when it ceased publishing and the assets were sold off), it's reasonable to assume that Martin Goodman handled Humorama's business the same way he did over at Timely/Atlas/Marvel, the details of which are known. You may find this hard to believe, but the "contract" consisted of a few lines on the back of the check that was mailed to the artist! There were basically no rights at all left to the artist once he endorsed his paycheck. In theory, someone could have tried to insist on getting his original art back, but no one did, perhaps because they wanted the reprint money or perhaps because they never thought of it.

Putting on my legal hat here for a minute, I would say that had any of the Humorama or Timely artists instituted what is called an action in Replevin, they might very well have won the case and been awarded the original art. However, they might have had trouble getting much for it back then, plus they would have had to bear the costs of the lawsuit, plus they would never have been able to sell anything more, plus they still wouldn't have had any rights to the work even after winning the suit! So you can see why nobody did that.

Late in his life, Jack Kirby did sue Marvel, but not in Replevin (which, to repeat, I think he might have won). Some sort of financial settlement was reached and I believe he did get some of his art back, which by then was rather valuable.

Congress changed the copyright law in 1976, and you'd never see a back-of-the-check contract today. If you were working in the comics industry today, say for Marvel, you would see a very carefully-worded contract that specified you were doing "work-made-for-hire", which means they own it. Reprint payments and other "extras" if the book sells over a certain number of copies are also pretty standard in a contract these days. Not unreasonable if you're drawing The Hulk, but I'd certainly never create an original character for them under those terms. Other companies are different, and concede that the creator owns the property, and he is then paid a royalty fee on each copy of the book that is sold.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 02/03/2012

Post by web-ed »

web-ed wrote:
Tanner wrote:Just another thought on the Superman/Supergirl spanking. Can you imagine how much a spanking from Superman would hurt! Maybe there should be a panel added- an after the spanking one, showing Supergirl with a pillow tied to her bottom, pain stars, and her standing up eating, not able to sit.
Your idea reminds me that somewhere I have an actual panel of Zatanna rubbing her bottom (after having taken a pratfall). If I can find the issue, I suppose I could rewrite the dialogue to make it look like a post-spanking panel - a rather twisted :twisted: idea!
I remembered what comic that Zatanna bottom-rubbing panel was in, although I can't lay my hands on it right now. I also cropped the pillow from that Plastic Man comic, but I found it difficult to attach it to Supergirl's bottom. Failing that, I took another Supergirl drawing I'd used before with her hands behind her, and added a few little "extras" which I hope you like:
-- Web-Ed