Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
hugob00m

Re: Mixing caricatures with "realistic" drawings

Post by hugob00m »

Another example is the Blondie strip. Blondie herself is a realistically-proportioned rendering of an attractive woman, while Dagwood, Mr. and Mrs. Dithers, and some others are drawn as caractures.

I've also noticed that, in many of the Humorama cartoons, the women are drawn more realistically than the men.

Speaking as someone who has drawn some caracatures myself, I've observed that it's much easier to exaggerate the features of people who are a little goofy-looking to begin with. (For example, take a look at any of the political cartoons drawn during the Nixon administration!) There are less liberties to be taken if you want to make a woman look pretty (or make a man look handsome, which, admittedly, is not usually the main concern in a spanking cartoon).

Other than that one single panel, I haven't seen much of Tillie the Toiler, so I don't know what the rest of the characters looked like, but I'm guessing that Tillie, who may have been based on someone the artist was attracted to, was drawn in a realistic style to retain her beauty, whereas, the Mac character, being based on the artist himself, would perhaps be subject to the most extreme exaggeration. Other characters in the strip were probably somewhere in between on the spectrum of realistic vs. caracture.
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed

your replies about the mixing of caricature and realistic figures was really interesting and informative. :) . i hadn't thought about the fact that the ladies are mostly drawn realistically but it sure makes sense since you pointed it out. after all, pretty girls sell magazines. also, i guess i hadn't noticed that adventure strips are more realistically drawn than humorous ones but now that i think of it, it does seem that you are right. i was a superman fan in my youth which was always drawn realistically. on the other hand the "funnies" in the paper had more caricatures.................i just never thought about it till you guys mentioned it.

boom, i enjoyed your comment about the political cartoons of the nixon administration. i can definitely see how you wouldn't have had to exaggerate very much with nixon..................point well taken..................LOL.

jim,

i didn't read archie very much as a young person but did some and i guess it just never dawned on me that there were both types in these comics.

thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and observations with me :D . phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Tillie, and Login Difficulties

Post by web-ed »

Jim and b00m both mentioned that Mac was a caricature of the artist himself, and gave us some other good examples of caricature vs. realism in the comics. I don't know whether Mac and Tillie were married at the time of the spanking - believing that the marriage occurred very late in the strip's run, I assumed they weren't married yet, but of course they may have been engaged, which gives a man certain prerogatives spanking-wise in my view! Perhaps some day we'll be able to pinpoint the date of the spanking episode.

Jim - I'm afraid there's a sinister explanation for your login difficulties, because the same thing has happened to me twice. Someone, or perhaps some spam-robot, must be trying to sign on using our identities. I suppose it's because none of them have been able to penetrate the board's defenses any other way - about 5 spambots per day register as new members, but then I delete them on the following Monday when I haven't received any email from them requesting activation. Luckily, they haven't been able to guess our passwords in the 3 attempts allotted them.

If the worst happens, and they somehow manage to sign on as you (which I think is unlikely), let me know via email and I should be able to reset your password and undo any damage they cause to the board (probably spam posts). If they sign on as me and change my password, we could all be in trouble, but eventually I should be able to turn back the clock by restoring the data base to an earlier time using my authority on CSR's server. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

The only problem with all this enhanced security is that we're not getting a lot of new members. Maybe we wouldn't be anyway, but I hope prospective members are not discouraged by having to register and send me an email before they can go active.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates - 03/18/2011

Post by web-ed »

For links please use the Home Page.
  • Updated Real West Romances #2 with SpankingPanels' version of (what else?) the spanking panel.
  • Jasmine, in Julius Zimmerman's Dezign 358, gets zapped where she sits down, and then Doctor Cylon provides a second, animated version in which the bongo drums are played on her backside.
  • An unknown artist drew an OTK spanking set in the past, a period piece set when men were men and not afraid to give spankings when needed.
  • Humorama Series -another CSR exclusive scanned from Mike's collection. This cartoon by Bill Wenzel shows a doctor's spanking treatment for a female hypochondriac patient - unconventional but effective therapy!
  • Strip Spankings - the long awaited scene from Winnie Winkle in which Wendy must decide on her own punishment, and imagines herself getting turned over her mother Winnie's knee!
  • Golden Age Comic Spankings - Combat Casey leaves Torchy Finnegan feeling like someone applied a torch to her bottom! Chronologically, this is the first known spanking from War Comics. I did not discover it as part of the Great Golden Age Search, and in fact it has been known for some time, but I didn't have complete scans until recently when I managed to obtain a copy of the book. It took me several hours to put this page together using my new scans plus three of Spiritworks' enhancements, and of course my commentary is lengthy, but it's an excellent scene so I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway! :)
Last edited by web-ed on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct mis-identification of Winnie as Wendy's sister.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I always look forward to the weekly update. It was nice to see a Wenzel cartoon that I wasn't aware of before. As usual, the lady is well-proportioned and looks like a prime candidate for a good spanking! However, as I've seen in some of Wenzel's other "spankers", she's in a really awkward position and looks like she's about to fall off of the doctor's knee. But, to make up for that compositional flaw, he has her skirt flipped up a bit, showing us a little glimpse of her panties... something that Wenzel rarely did. I also enjoyed the Combat Casey one, and was glad you gave us enough of the story to let us know why he spanked her (other than the obvious reason!) One possible explanation for why her rear end doesn't look as round in the actual spanking panel as it does in the rest of the story might be that he's hitting her so hard he's flattening her out! Well... not a good explanation, but one possible explanation.
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

b00m wrote:

I also enjoyed the Combat Casey one, and was glad you gave us enough of the story to let us know why he spanked her (other than the obvious reason!) One possible explanation for why her rear end doesn't look as round in the actual spanking panel as it does in the rest of the story might be that he's hitting her so hard he's flattening her out! Well... not a good explanation, but one possible explanation.

As one spanko artist to another, I would like to suggest that Robert Q. Sale could have made Torchy's bottom as curvaceous as that of O.T.Katie or Spanky Sal, but chose not to. Web-ed points out in his commentary:

As you can see, Robert Q. Sale (Siegel), who couldn't have had much practice drawing women in Combat Casey, obviously hadn't forgotten how! His Torchy Finnegan is an absolute knockout with a beautiful face and very curvy figure.

So, Sale probably made a conscious decision to "flatten out" Torchy's bum as Casey spanked it. One possible explanation is that the date of publication of this particular Combat Casey is 1953, and by then the public popularity of fem-spanking in the public media was on the wane. True, that was the year that Kiss Me Kate appeared on screen, but remember that that show was a relic from the 1940s, a decade when spankings were seen often and appreciated more. To have made Torchy's bottom curvier than he did would have been, as we say nowadays, "sexist." Don't know what they called that in the 1950s.

As for "flattening out" Torchy's bum as he smacked it, you and I both know that a spanker spanks only one cheek at a time. To show the "flattening" effect it would have been necessary to show one buttcheek flattened, with the other one in full rounded position. I have never seen a drawing like that, and I hope I never do.

So Robert Q. Sale probably meant to downplay the spankee's curvaceousness. Anyway, that's what I get out of it. The rest of the toon shows magnificent inking and shading, a real master at work. It's a shame his "mastery" did not extend to showing us a voluptuous fanny getting spanked.

Cheers,
Dan
jimc

Post by jimc »

Hi web-ed great finds and commentary as always. A couple of corrections. Winnie is spanking her daughter Wendy not her sister. What made this strip back in 1968 when it came out was the coloring and you would have had to see the whole storyline about how come Wendy had to be punished to appreciate the whole dream sequence. As far as Combat Casey i had always been told that somehow the women could not have the rounded bottoms that the outfits had to be chaste and while they did make their chests bigger to prove they were women the waist down was supposed to be flat or padded somehow it was gotten away with by Archie as that was the fashions that the women were wearing and the adult woman (Miss Grundy; Miss Haggley and Miss Beasley) did not seem to have any shape keeping to the code somehow (just my thoughts as you are probally more correct in your explanation than i am.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

Winnie Winkle

Post by web-ed »

Thanks for the corrections, Jim - I seem to have trouble keeping the Winkle family tree straight for some reason. At least this time I realized it was Winnie who was doing the spanking. I'll have to go in tomorrow and correct the page.

[03/27 Update: we also received some corrections from JS666. Both his and Jim's went in today.]
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i agreed with all your comments about the hypochondriac spanking. i couldn't help wondering why he chose to have the spanker using the wrong hand though :?: . same for the spanking in Winnie. it looks really awkward so why would someone who can draw this well chose to do this?? i enjoyed Casey too and i too had noticed the flat bottom of the spankee. interesting possible explanation for this that Dan offered. considering the time frame he just might be right about that. i much preferred the spirit works version :D lots of good updates this weeks. thanks for posting them. phil
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Especiallly like the Combat Casey. Notice how he dumped her on the ground on her bottom after he spanked her, which doubtless added to the pain depicted in the last panel. The lines in that panel looked like the artist tried to show her in real discomfort, no doubt looking forward to her next meal off the mantelpiece.
Wonder if she appeared in any more issues, and whether her behavior was more respectful toward others.
The mention of how women were drawn in Archie comics recalls an interesting observation I once read. The girls keep up with the fashions and hairstyles over the years. In the 60s and 70s Betty and Veronica wore mini-skirts and hotpants. But Archie and the other guys keep the same 50s look.(Though its hard to imagine Archie as a hippie).
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/25/2011

Post by web-ed »

A very busy week of updates, corrections, winding up the Golden Age search and pressing on with the Holy Grail search.
  • Corrections on last week's Winnie Winkle from JimC and JS666 were received and went in today. Thanks to both of these gentlemen for helping with historical accuracy.
  • Another item from last week, Bill Wenzel's spanked hypochondriac, had torn paper and featured wrong-hand spanking. Oxken got busy and decided to tackle both problems, with interesting and worthwhile results.
  • An artist did a version of the classic Chase and Sanborn coffee spanking ad, which I've now added to the page.
  • Paula Meadows makes another appearance in the Doctor Cylon Gallery with Couch Potato Caned. In upcoming weeks, we'll see more of Paula's art, and also her own bare bottom getting the cane!
  • In the Picture Gallery an artist named DeValle gives us a simple OTK spanking featuring a spankee with an expressive face and her riding breeches down!
  • Humorama series - more of Bill Wenzel, this time a spanking over a tight dress posted recently by b00m in the forum.
  • Comic Strip Spankings - a middle-aged spanking that bore the title of "Worm" when I found it last year. This seems to have been a fairly obscure strip, and I couldn't find out any more about it.
  • Golden Age Comic Book Spankings - A middle-aged man spanks a recent college grad to teach her one more lesson! Thought to be from Campus Romances #2, but I retrieved this one from the internet before the Great Golden Age Search even began, possibly using a program (something I'm not doing at the moment) which might explain why I don't have any information on where I found it. (The programs I've used in the past extract images but don't record the page addresses). Anyway, it's probably Campus Romances #2.
P.S. You might also be interested in my Top Ten Spankings in Mainstream Comics that I did as special guest-blogger over on the Cherry Red Report.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i love the changes oxken made to the hypochondriac spanking. that's the way the pic should have been drawn to begin with :D . ok, i love just about anything done by paula. she draws the female body as well as i've ever seen and the way she portrays so many different kinds of spankings with those magnificent bottoms never fails to get me going. i agree with you about the expression on the spankee's face in the devalle drawing. looks pretty realistic to me. i wasn't too sure about the drawing in "worm" but i had to admire our spanker for taking this problem in hand :D . all these drawings of a spanker using the wrong hand have begun to puzzle me. i have noticed them before but never thought too much about it until i saw you talking about it. there do seem to be quite a few of them and i can't help but wonder why they would be drawn like that to begin with?? anyway, another great update. thanks for taking the time to do this. phil
jimc

Post by jimc »

Great posts and finds web-ed. I remember the series the Worm (i do believe the title was something like the worm turned) and he was often hen-pecked and this series did finally show that he did finally tame his wife. I think i read about it in a book called WOMEN OF THE COMICS and it did show several spanking scenes in it, but i have not been able to find it after i lost the book some years ago. I saw something about the wrong way spankings were more that the plate was being reversed when it was printed instead of the artist drawing it that way. And of course once that it was printed it stayed that way as it was too expensive to change once it had been printed and it was only a comic strip after all. JS does indeed have a better memory than i do about Winnie Winkle although he is quite right about the preachiness of the strip and it did finally end with just a small following. I do also have to say that if you were lucky enough to have seen the orignal strip in color and as big as it was it would have made a better impression of both the artist and the strip. Wendy's final punishment that she decided on was harsher than her mother had wanted and indeed if you knew why Wendy was late would have said the mother overreacted and would not have wanted to punish her if she had gotten the whole story from Wendy (i of course thought she should have taken the spanking), but that was not the way the story unfolded (see preachiness) and while there were other bottom pats and swats in the strips run nothing like the image of Wendy otk was ever in Winnie Winkle again. The Golden age find also is more notable about its ending than the spanking itself( in the comic it was small and dark and it shows much better when you enlarged it than it is when its in its orginal form. Have a great day.
JIm
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/25; Wrong Hand Spanking

Post by web-ed »

Jim,
I wish I had more examples of Winnie Winkle, particularly the sequence in color the way you have described it. I did find some reprints (in comic books) during The Great Golden Age Search, but no other spankings except Winnie/Perry. Perhaps another source will become available in the future. And certainly it is a great pity that Wendy didn't actually request (and receive) a spanking! Anyway, glad you liked the updates.

Phil,
Good to know that you, like Jim, were basically pleased with this week's updates. You'll be glad to hear we're going to be seeing more of Paula both as an artist and as a model from her days editing Februs. The latter will include a couple of my favorite caning pictures, with Paula on her hands and knees on a desk, getting the cane across her behind!

Both of you were struck by the question of all the wrong-hand spanking drawings. It seems to me that if the plates get reversed during the printing process, the spankee's position should be reversed as well as the the spanker's hand; i.e. spankee positioned OTK from right to left (spanker's vantage point) and spanker using right hand should become spankee positioned OTK from left to right and spanker using left hand. Thus both versions would be correct or both incorrect depending on whether the artist had it right or wrong originally. "Correct" can be more precisely defined by stating that the spanker should be spanking with the hand closest to the spankee's feet. This covers both r.h. and l.h. spankers.

If it isn't the plates, it's worth inquiring as to what causes the error. I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a combination of unconscious right-hand bias coupled with the artist not having done enough spanking himself. Here's how it might come about: the artist begins by drawing the spankee, perhaps from his own r.h. perspective. This means the spankee's head will be pointing toward the left (from the viewer's perspective). Next he draws the spanker, and in trying to get the pose right he imagines himself in the spanker's role. This would be the critical point, because in doing so he will imagine the spanker using his right hand, not realizing that this would have required the spankee to be taken OTK from the opposite direction (i.e. from right to left from the spanker's viewpoint)! Another way of saying this is that the artist accidentally "takes the spankee OTK from left to right" when he begins the drawing, even though there's no spanker in the picture yet. In a sense, the artist made his mistake right at the very beginning, when he drew the spankee. Of course, he could have fixed the compositional problem without redrawing the spankee simply by having the spanker use his left hand.

Let's see an example here:
The classic scene from Charlton's For Lovers Only #73.  Beautiful setting but wrong hand!
The classic scene from Charlton's For Lovers Only #73. Beautiful setting but wrong hand!
for_lovers_only_73_bb.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
I must admit that a lot of this is speculation. If my theory is correct, then 90% of these errors should be with the r.h. used where the l.h. would have been correct (if we figure 90% of artists to be right-handed). I haven't tallied up the numbers of each yet on CSR. But here's the joker in the pack: what Jim said about the printing plates getting reversed could cause an incorrect right hand to appear as an incorrect left hand, thus throwing off the expected statistics!

And if all this hasn't given you a headache by now, I'm just not doing my job! ;)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/01/2011

Post by web-ed »

For links please visit the Home Page.

Another very busy week here, with ten updates and continuing the Search for the Holy Grail.
  • Updated Dixie Dugan spanking #1 and added #2. Technically, this addition doesn't count because it's only heard and not seen, and I didn't add it to the Comics Spanking Data Base, but it's still an interesting scene.
  • Doctor Cylon takes a Paula Meadows hairbrush spankings and turns it into "The Brush-Off".
  • Picture Gallery - Jessica Rabbit gets the ruler from Deacon Black
  • Humorama Series - the year-long series enters its second quarter with Strict Military Discipline from Bill Wenzel.
  • Weird Spankings #21 - Squirrel Spanks Girrel! At least it's M/F, and he uses a little paddle!
  • Golden Age Spankings has the week off, but is set to conclude one week from today.
The remainder of the updates are Weird Spankings #22 - 25, and unfortunately they're all M/M. They have warning labels on the Home Page and I've buried them on the Comics Gallery 2 index page down with the earlier W. S. series so you can easily avoid them if you wish. This is the last of the M/M stuff from The Great Golden Age Search, and I hope I never find any more, but life being what it is, I probably will.
  • Weird Spankings #22 - Archie's The Black Hood uses the flat of his sword. He should have used a right cross.
  • Weird Spankings #23 - Male midget criminal gets taken OTK in one of The Shield's adventures.
  • Weird Spankings #24 - The Red Rube, who was forgotten a long time ago, metes out corporal punishment to a villain who abuses orphans (do you think he's an obvious-enough bad guy?).
  • Weird Spankings #25 - The last one I discovered with Captain Marvel (and I hope it's the last one, period). CM thrashes Trashum the bad publisher.
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Please! No more M/M!
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Its nice you are wrapping up the M/M, but I worry about when and if the day comes there are no more M/F to be found.
Comment on Dixie Dugan, I remember her in the comic strips years ago,she was an airline stewardess. Surely she was a good candidate for a spanking, but neither of those you have involve her.
I remember one where she spanked her little niece Imogene with a hairbrush for fighting. Not especially interesting-would have loved to see Dixie on the receiving end of that hairbrush!
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Couple more points. In the For Lovers Only spanking, he is usiong his right hand, but from the readers perspective it looks like the left. Anyone else catch that.
Jimc mentioned a book called Women of the Comics. Couldnt find a book by that title when I checked a couple book selling sites.
There is a book called Women in the Comics, by Maurice Horn, that I found in a local library, but there are no spankings shown(though plenty women characters that needed it).
Any more info on the first book mentioned? I'll keep searching too.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: 04/01 Updates

Post by web-ed »

I've got 6 spankings from Dixie Dugan documented in the Comics Spanking Data Base, but that one of Dixie taking the hairbrush to her little sister isn't among them. Big sis spanks little sis seems to have been a recurring theme in comics for a while, for instance Katy Keene and her little sister. Even Fritzi Ritz spanking Nancy had a big sis/little sis feel to it.

I made a mental note to look for Women of the Comics when JimC mentioned it also, but I hadn't gotten around to it. I'm trying to think of what else it could be. Maybe Jim can give us a few hints.

I also worry about the day when no more M/F comic spankings are being found. I still have about 10 left in the files, including the Archie stuff Robin gave me. Once they're gone, we'll have "fan art" as it's called (I've got a few of those) and commissions, if I can ever afford them again (don't hold your breath). Because I am worried, I've been writing a series on Where Do We Go From Here? that outlines some possible searching strategies for more comic spankings. Also, I'm pursuing the Holy Grail, but that search hasn't turned up any M/F scenes yet.

There's no way we're going to see new spankings come to light at the same rate we've had them this past year when I was searching through 1000 pages a day, but I'm convinced more are out there. If we can turn one up every now and then, we'll be doing pretty well.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/08/2011

Post by web-ed »

For links please go to the Home Page.
  • Some updated information from Bill on Vampi Spanks Batgirl and Wicked Wanda Spanks Candyfloss.
  • Doctor Cylon found another drawing illustrating the holding-ankles position. The temptation was too much for him...
  • More of Jessica - this time, she gets it from her big sister, courtesy of Deacon Black.
  • Humorama Series - another CSR first with a First American spanking by Bill Wenzel.
  • Comic Strip Spankings - Buz Sawyer spanks Jungle Girl, or at least a girl in a two-piece swimsuit! Rarely seen, and we added a complete Roy Crane index of all his known spanking scenes so far to make it even better! Also updated the first Buz page back in Comics Gallery 1.
  • Golden Age Comic Spankings concludes with a scene from a Romance book in which a rather cold-hearted girl gets her bottom warmed!
-- Web-Ed