Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
daneldorado

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Web-ed:

As you have noted before, my primary interest in spankings seems to be in cinema. I remember the first time I was "moved" (I don't know what else to call it) by a screen spanking: It was when I saw, for the first time, the spanking of Susanna Foster by Allan Jones in the 1941 film There's Magic in Music.. By the way, when I saw it, the film had the alternate title The Hard-Boiled Canary.

Our family got its first TV in the early 1950s, and there, on the magic box that screened Jackie Gleason and Show of Shows, we also got to see a lot of old black-and-white movies. One of them was the aforementioned The Hard-Boiled Canary. I was quite young, but I distinctly remember being thunderstruck at the sight of an adult male spanking an attractive young female's buttocks -- with his hand -- over his knee. My spanko career began, right there.

But, wait. This message is supposed to "tie in" to your thesis on The Effects of the Comics Code on Spanking in Comics. What I was trying to get at is that popular appeal for spankings waxes and wanes over the years, in movies (and, now, television) as well as in the comics.

You point out that the strips containing the two comic book spankings in Jungle Comics from 1947 were reprinted in 1952, but in those reprints the spanking panels were deleted. Naturally I am infuriated by that... but one can also see that the times they were a-changin'.

In mainstream movies, the friendliest decade for spankings was undoubtedly the 1940s. Yes, there were cinema spankings in the 1930s and earlier, even in silent films. But I can name SEVEN American films released in one year -- 1941 -- that contained a scene where a female is spanked. Even as late as 1949, the end of the decade, there were SIX such films. Of course spankings were a common sight in movies throughout the 1940s.

I submit that the 1940s were the premier decade for spankings in the comics, as well. All of The Phantom's spankings were seen in those years, as were the many Smilin' Jack spankings. The 1940s were an era when most people thought it was funny, suitable, even stimulating, that naughty females should be spanked.

But the public's tastes are fickle. Spankings in cinema faded out right after McLintock! in 1963, and the decade of the 1970s seemed more concerned with Vietnam, tie-dyed hippies, and bell-bottoms than in the innocent fun of spanking female bottoms. Besides, there was now a sinister new concept muddying the waters: feminism.

We may never know how deeply the feminist movement affected spankings in popular media, but we do know that spankings almost completely disappeared from American films in the 1970s. When they did return, it was in a new form: Consensual spankings. It is probably unthinkable that a successful film could be produced today, showing a punitive spanking of a grown female. Audiences would throw rocks at the screen.

In the comics too, alas, there seem to be no romantic spankings any more. No doubt it has to do with the corrosive effects of the Comics Code you have cited, and until true-to-life comics return to the funny papers, there will probably not be any more. Still, we can rejoice that in other countries -- primarily Mexico -- some good spankings have appeared in comics, post-1970. Of course I speak of the El Payo and Memin Pinguin strips.

I eagerly await your remaining essays on the Comics Code. Your efforts may just catch the eye of some publisher who is looking for new comic ideas. You never know.

Cheers,
Dan
Last edited by daneldorado on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

Hi WEB- ED CSR!!! The Comic Code really did change the culture of how comic books are made. But I wonder do a threat of a spanking to a woman by a Male via Super Hero or husband boyfriend warrent a red flag or how about a spanking off page such as Wah spanking of Veronica in Archie where we didn`t see the spanking but we saw the after affect. If this was done let say 1969 would this be breaking the rule? Don`t know how The Thing almost spanking of Sue Richard made it pass the code even if it wasn`t a spanking the intention was :D Not to go too much into this but what about whipping was this also a vololation of the code even though it was on a woman`s back not her buttocks? With that I want to takl about this weeks drawing :lol: Doctor Clyon Paddling of Mulan is good although she is very skinny she do however have a great big round tush :lol: The look on her face seem to like the paddle on her glowing red bottom. :lol: nice shade of red Doctor Cylon :lol: Like The Dan Decarlo`s spanking of a woman for wearing a hat :lol: great otk position with Mr. Decarlo wanting the readers to see the woman`s full bottom and not from a one side view :lol: Also notice the spanker is wearing gloves does this shield the bottom from stinging like a bare hand would? Alway figure a man to remove his gloves before spanking a woman Reap The Wild Wind done just that :lol: Love how The French bares a woman bottom before spanking it especialy in an adult magazine haven`t seen many in humorama ! Even though a good drawing The girl over the Sailor knees is far off making to me like he is standing behind the bed only way I could tell she was over his lap was his one knee :D really like the after the spanking panel when the girl is now tame and the Sailor is holding her in his arms :D Was the woman in Earl Engleman bottom bared? Really can`t tell even though we see the line of what look like short around her lower bottom or is that her panty pull down :? :? Great over the knees and the spanker I see is really letting her have it :lol: nice drawing! Kirk Stiles Female Patient get spanked by Analyst is good being the spankee is place over the knee just right but she looks kinda bore would have love to see some fight from her :lol: nice big round bottom she got also think the panty she is wearing is awful like the selection you shown on the bottom :D Can`t wait to read part III of the Comic Code !!!!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/16/2012

Post by web-ed »

Tanner wrote:And looking back, one wonders what so much of the controversy was about [referring to the Comics Code - Web-Ed]. I think the Phantom Lady cover is pretty tame- but then seeing pictures of women tied up(as opposed to being spanked) does nothing for me. And another thing, for those of us who remember the cowboy TV shows of the 50s, all those times when the villain got the drop on the good guy and tied him up, no one ever thought there was anything "kinky " about that. So why not the same with a female hero?
The point you bring up should have been raised, and perhaps was raised, by those who were trying to stop Wertham's crusade. For the Superhero (or heroine), getting tied up was an occupational hazard, something the bad guys could be expected to do, and not because they were a kinky lot. With Wonder Woman, the loving detail lavished on the bondage elements showed that William Moulton Marston was into it, but with Phantom Girl it could all have been innocent - but Wertham could never have accepted that.
Butch wrote:The Comic Code really did change the culture of how comic books are made. But I wonder do a threat of a spanking to a woman by a Male via Super Hero or husband boyfriend warrant a red flag or how about a spanking off page such as Wah spanking of Veronica in Archie where we didn't see the spanking but we saw the after affect. If this was done let say 1969 would this be breaking the rule? Don`t know how The Thing almost spanking of Sue Richard made it pass the code even if it wasn't a spanking the intention was :D Not to go too much into this but what about whipping was this also a violation of the code even though it was on a woman`s back not her buttocks?
The off-page spanking - interesting question, Butch. In theory, an off-panel spanking could have been objected to by the Code just as off-panel illicit sex was (in a famous example, the Code would not permit a phone to be shown off its hook because it implied Nick Fury and his girlfriend Val left it off so they could make love undisturbed). But I don't know if that issue ever came up during the "dark decade" of 1956 - 1966. (We'll see in Part 3 of the article just why this decade was so bad for spanking). The Mr. Lodge/Veronica "Wah!" spanking you mentioned occurred later, in 1973. Besides, it was a parental scene, and the Code seems to have been less stringent in such cases even during the "dark decade".

How did the Thing almost spanking of Sue Richards made it past the Code? Good question. If Stan Lee's script specifically mentioned spanking, it was changed so that mention was removed, and with the Thing's arm redrawn I guess they were satisfied with that. Obviously it wasn't entirely convincing, since all of us immediately thought "Spanking!" the moment we saw the panel.

Was whipping on the back a violation of the code also? - I believe it would certainly have been interpreted as a violation during the time frame that spankings were. I remember seeing some implied back whippings in pre-Code comics, but nothing like that after the Code. In one famous example, from EC's Shock Suspense Stories, a woman is beaten to death with a belt across her back. It was certainly not intended to be erotic - it was, in fact, an anti-Ku Klux Klan story - but it took place before the Code.
Butch wrote:Was the woman in Earl Engleman bottom bared? Really can`t tell even though we see the line of what look like short around her lower bottom or is that her panty pull down?
In the original cartoon "A Spanking Breeze" Engleman drew her wearing tight-fitting shorts. I believe Humorama could have gotten away with showing a bare bottom by then (1959) but editor Abe Goodman was perhaps just a little cautious or conservative regarding such matters. Since the shorts were indicated by only a hem line and three wrinkles, it was a simple matter for Todd to blank them out making the bottom appear bare!
overbarrel49 wrote:i think there are some genetic factors which have evolved to ensure genetic diversity in the gene pool which affect the process of mate selection. whether spanking per se falls into this category is less clear.
A thorough discussion of this question would take up more space than we have here; however, it seems clear to me that overall, an interest in spanking will drive away more potential mates than it will attract, especially in men. If I am correct in this, then any genetic factor in the spanking interest would be heavily penalized by the forces of natural selection. We could also postulate that a spontaneous genetic mutation keeps producing new spankos every generation regardless of selection pressures against this gene, but the problem we run into there is that even my estimate of 1% of the population being true spankos is rather higher than the observed mutation rate.

Another problem with the "spanko gene" theory is that we must then suppose there are different genes for the different spanko orientations of Top, Bottom, and Switch; also, this theory would imply that other common (and even uncommon) fetishes like feet, leather, etc. also have a genetic cause. Putting all the various fetish interests together, we may well be up to about 10% of the population! Such a staggeringly high rate of mutation is inconceivable, and imagining a stable set of "fetish genes" that could resist negative selection pressure generation after generation is only barely more likely - at least, so it seems to me.
overbarrel49 wrote:i guess i don't agree that this is necessarily a true statement. my analysis of the situation, which is more from a lifetime of experience in general and less about spanking is this; this seems to me to be a clear case of one person trying to force his views on the masses. it seems likely to me that he [Wertham] never really thought comics had this adverse effect.
You're certainly correct, Phil, in that Wertham did desire to force his views on everyone else. He advocated outright censorship, all the while claiming he wasn't a censor! As much as almost every comics fan hated the code, we can take some satisfaction from knowing that Wertham himself wasn't satisfied by the Code. The U.S. Senate never did try to pass a Federal censorship law, and if they had, it's far from certain the House would have gone along. My own view is that the courts would have struck it down. But the U.S. has by far the most protection for free speech of any nation in the world. In Canada, a comics censorship law was passed, and may in fact still be on the books to this day!
daneldorado wrote:We may never know how deeply the feminist movement affected spankings in popular media, but we do know that spankings almost completely disappeared from American films in the 1970s. When they did return, it was in a new form: Consensual spankings. It is probably unthinkable that a successful film could be produced today, showing a punitive spanking of a grown female. Audiences would throw rocks at the screen.
I definitely defer to your knowledge of Cinema generally and spanking in films, Dan, but please permit me to disagree slightly on one small point: I think if a punitive spanking of a (deserving) grown female were shown today, critics might throw rocks at the screen, but the audience would cheer! There is a great distance today between our governmental and cultural elites on the one hand and the plain people on the other. Basically, our elites are way out of touch with the way most Americans think and live. The only places that audiences might throw rocks would be Progressive backwaters such as San Francisco, Berkeley, Seattle, Madison (WI), and Ann Arbor (MI). The real problem is that those same elites are currently running Hollywood, thus it is unlikely that such a picture would ever be made. Look for it about the same time we have a movie celebrating our troops' heroism in Iraq and Afghanistan instead of the anti-American agitprop they routinely produce.
Tanner wrote:SEVEN film spankings in 1941, and six in 1949! Wow. How about a list of them, so as to see if any are available through Netflix?
Perhaps Dan can supply this, or perhaps they're already listed in Chross' film data base? I confess I haven't looked at his DB in a long time, so I can't remember what search tools are available there.

Note: Dan did supply the list here, but I later moved it over to the "Spanking in Media" forum, topic "Spanking in Movies" because I was afraid I might have to start trimming the "Weekly Updates" topic down if it becomes so large it causes Data Base problems in the future.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/23/2012

Post by web-ed »

Another big week here - at least I hope everyone thinks so - with the centerpiece being Part 3 of my article on the Code. I'm also writing an alternate version which I'll post on Spanking Panels after next week, plus I rewrote another article this week :!: on "What Happened To DC Spanking During the Bronze Age?" Although I have a link to this one in Part 3, I won't link to it from the Home Page right now because it's just too much reading for one week! I'll add a reminder link next week or the week after.
New scans from Fantastic Four #38 also - be sure to check out that page as well, especially if you didn't see them in my post on SpankingPanels.

For links please visit the Home Page (click on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page to get there).
  • Pin-up, panties down from Doctor Cylon.
  • Another strange French comic spanking given by a guy who seems to be wearing only a nightcap!
  • Humorama Series #81 - The second of two Kirk Stiles cartoons in which a female patient gets spanked by her analyst. This time, the patient has a deep-seated need to be spanked! I believe this to be another CSR never-before-seen exclusive!
  • Video Extra: One swat from Gypsy. See a stripper in a burlesque house bend over for the paddle! The paddle is my favorite implement, and maybe seeing this one when I was a little kid helped warp me in that direction. It's not a great scene, certainly, and it's not OTK, but there's a definite swat on the target. Strangely, on all the spanking forums I've seen, no one ever seems to have commented on this one. I did post a few stills several years ago, but then I forgot to edit together a video after I added the Video Page! Consider that omission corrected, and I hope everyone enjoys seeing it.
  • We enter the swinging sixties in Part 3 of our four-part series on The Effects of the Comics Code on Spanking in Comics. And to go along with it,
  • an update of the Ben Grimm/Sue Storm spanking in Fantastic Four #38 with new scans that show us at last what was really going on! I've now added this one to the DB as well.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i couldn't see the signature of the artist who did this pic that Doc Cylon found so irresistible but it sure is a great drawing of a lovely female :D no wonder he couldn't resist. i like this animation too. it almost looks as if her bottom is still throbbing :D you made a number of observations about the french spanking comic and i think you're right on with most of it. i will comment that the spankee has a nice bottom for a spanking and that i like the facial expression caused by it. i agree with you that this week's Stiles drawing would have been better if she was already otk. i like the idea of the young lady realizing her needs and asking about it though :D . thanks for the swat from Gypsy. both the acting and the swat left a little something to be desired :lol: . still, any swat is better than none. again, i really enjoyed part 3 of your article about the comics code. i'll keep my comments to a minimum this time, however. you mentioned toward the end, "The Comics Code was revised in 1971. Vampires and Werewolves were now allowed; Zombies, for some reason, were not (they should have sued for unfair discrimination)." i found this comment both insightful and somewhat amusing. makes me wonder just how much of the comics code was actually pretty much arbitrary?. as for the Sue Storm spanking...................looks like another case that took a lot of detective work on your part. thanks for the update and the detective work :D . phil
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Another good week,great stuff just keeps turning up. Spankings in non-English language comics is a field worth further exploration, would not surprise me if there were a lot more out there.
Liked the Doc Cylon and the fact that it was a pin-up girl.The idea of the girls who posed for the popular pin-ups back in the 40s and 50s being spanked is a favorite scenarion of mine.
The piece on the spanking that wasn't in the Fantastic Four I found very informative. Just goes to show how uptight those in charge of the Code were.
And Part 3 on the Comics Code was very interesting. I wonder why Mrs Trulock was so opposed to any hint of the erotic in comics, however innocent. Agree with you that she likely put the kibosh on some spankings we might have had otherwise. While as you say the prroblem is the Code itself, still the prejudices of an administrator in its application very well led to some material being suppressed.
Think maybe the "socially prominent" Mrs Trulock could have used a good spanking herself.I would have sentenced her to a couple dozen smacks with a Spencer paddle, with her panties down. Bet that would have wiped that smug expression off her face that she had in the picture!
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Nice to have the Gypsy though it was only a one swatter. There was a 1993 remake of this movie, Bette Midler was in it. I wonder if they included that scene.Suppose I could use my Netflix and see.
The idea of a stripper getting a spanking is a good one anyhow. A plot like say a guy finds out his girlfriend is working as a stripper and is not happy with the idea. So he gives her a spanking, figuring she will not want to strip and show the audience her red bottom.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hi WEB-ED!!! Seeing the picture of The Pin-up Girl with a glowing red bottom is a great turn on even though I wished to see a paddle striking it over and over Nice coloring by Doctor Cylon :lol: Love seeing spanking from other Countries and the spanking from a Frence comice is nice :lol: The spanking seem to be more foreplay than punishment juding by the light pat being laid on her bottom :D The otk position is kinda off but i love that she is bare bottom!! Wish to see some Super heros comic from around the world maybe there some great spanking in them :lol: The second Kirk Stiles Female Patient Spanked By Her Analsy is ok but I think Mr. Stiles should have dressed the woman in an outfit the showed off her bottom giving the readers a look at what the Doctor was going to spank :lol: Love how the Doctor is pointing at his knees and telling her to get over it :lol: He also has the wrong hand up!!! Great Imfo on The Comic Code but you do have to wonder how many spanking would have happen in Comic Books if the Code was never made!! I could see plenty of spanking in SpiderMan BatMan and maybe IronMan :lol: Speaking of the Code would it have ban the spanking of Sue Storm if her husband Reed did it instead of Ben? Wasn`t it ok for a husband to spank his wife? Still can`t understand why when the code stop being to strick especialy in the 70`s that spanking didn`t return was it because of the feminist movement or was spanking a thing of the past mainly punishment spanking use to correct a bad deed!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/23/2012

Post by web-ed »

Tanner wrote:Nice to have the Gypsy though it was only a one swatter. There was a 1993 remake of this movie, Bette Midler was in it. I wonder if they included that scene.Suppose I could use my Netflix and see.
The idea of a stripper getting a spanking is a good one anyhow. A plot like say a guy finds out his girlfriend is working as a stripper and is not happy with the idea. So he gives her a spanking, figuring she will not want to strip and show the audience her red bottom.
I missed the 1993 remake of Gypsy so I don't know if they put the paddle-swat in, but I'd guess they didn't since I don't remember it being in the original 1959 stage version. Since I'm a big musical fan I really should look this up myself.

You're right about the idea of a stripper getting a spanking being a good one. In fact, although I had forgotten about it until your mentioning this reminded me, I almost got to spank a stripper myself about 15 years ago! She had called me up out of the blue - at that time, I actually had my phone number listed in a Stand Corrected spanking ad - and as I remember it, she was looking for some accountability. From her description, she was apparently good-looking with a large bust, and tried to distract me at one point by bringing up the possibility of sex (no, I am NOT making any of this up!). I told her that while I was "o.k." with sex, it wasn't going to distract me from administering the punishment she deserved, and any sex would have to follow the spanking and not precede it, and she seemed to like that answer. We never did get together though - a good-looking stripper can of course take her pick of men to spank her, and I suppose she ended up going with someone else.

Another strange experience brought to you directly from my strange life 8-) !
Butch wrote:Speaking of the Code would it have ban the spanking of Sue Storm if her husband Reed did it instead of Ben? Wasn`t it ok for a husband to spank his wife? Still can`t understand why when the code stop being to strick especialy in the 70`s that spanking didn`t return was it because of the feminist movement or was spanking a thing of the past mainly punishment spanking use to correct a bad deed!
I think Mrs. Trulock would have come down just as hard if not harder on FF #38 if Reed had been the spanker, because as her fiancee the scene could more plausibly have been mistaken as "erotic" whereas Ben was obviously spanking her in a very light and playful way. It does not seem to have been o.k. for a husband to spank his wife during Mrs. Trulock's tenure as code administrator with the very odd exception of Career Girl Romances #45 in 1964, which (it bears repeating) was the only non-parental, non-robot M/F spanking after True Brides Experiences #16 in '56 during the entire ten years from 1956 - 1965! I'm only guessing, but I imagine that Mrs. Trulock was on vacation or ill at the time this book came into the Office for review (she retired a year later, I believe due to health issues).

Actually, spanking continued during the 70's at exactly the same pace it occurred from 1966 - 1970, with ten known M/F scenes, which isn't bad at all. It was really during the 80's that things slowed down, and we'll go into the Code's final 30 years from 1980 - 2011 in Part 4 of our series. Be there to learn which book the Code rejected completely and wouldn't have passed if Hell had frozen over - no spanking, but it did have nudity, incest, necrophilia, and rotting zombies all in a single issue!
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/30/2012

Post by web-ed »

The big items this week are probably part 4 of my Comics Code series and a Golden Age romance spanking that came to light recently, but there's lots of other stuff as well.

First, I added six more items to the Comics Spanking Data Base that are not going to be posted because they're not M/F. Two of them are not without interest, however, so curious readers might want to know about them:
  1. Blue Beetle #18 (Jan. 1943) – Big Moose / Papoose, a father/son scene from the Papoose strip. OTK Hand.
  2. Blue Beetle #21 (May 1943) – Ali Baba/Ali Satrap, from Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. Shovel, bending over. Typical GA slapstick paddling - there were a ton of these, and I really wish they had been M/F instead of M/M.
  3. All-Humor #2 (Summer 1946) - Bear / Pete. From a Pepsi-Cola ad! I don't mind spanking in advertising, but why couldn't it be M/F? I just realized I'm going to have to think that old Moronica strip where I decided a bear's paw was a foot rather than a hand, because now I haven't been consistent. Either the Bear has to come out or Moronica has to go in.
  4. All-Star Comics #2 – caption: “Parents spank their children”. Father/Son M/M OTK. Doubtful that this attribution is correct, although the panel certainly exists. UNCONFIRMED - I'm not at all sure this was really from All-Star Comics.
  5. Jumbo Comics #91 (Sept. 1946) – Skygirl/Dasher (hood). Skillet, bending over. Now this is a tragedy - what I wouldn't give to see Matt Baker's Skygirl getting spanked :!: - but in this case, two hoods order her into the kitchen and she whacks one of them with an iron skillet. On the plus side, I extracted one or two spankable poses which I'll add to the Skygirl page later.
  6. Little Archie #5 (Winter 1957-1958) – Mrs. (Mary) Andrews / Archie Andrews. OTK, hand. Script and art by Bob Bolling. I'm sure most of you are as bored as I am at the prospect of Archie getting spanked instead of Betty and Veronica. But the girls' reaction is interesting - they hear that Little Archie has gotten spanked, and they're both excited and want to know if it hurt much! It's possible that Little Betty and Little Veronica got spanked somewhere along the line, and if I find out they did I will report it although I won't be able to post anything.
And now for the updates:
For links please visit the Home Page (click on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page to get there).
  • "TLC" means "Tough Loving Care" with the paddle of Doctor Cylon.
  • Another Humorama update - It wasn't long ago that we revisited Earl Engelman's A Spanking Breeze with Todd's update. Now it's Oxken's turn, and he's the first to focus his attention on the cartoon's weakest part: the spanker's arm, which has now been surgically (or at least artistically) corrected. Thank you, Dr. Oxken!
  • Humorama Series #82 - The second of two Dan DeCarlo cartoons featuring spanking in the hill country. This time, the daughter went and eloped - after her father bought a brand-new shotgun! This is the less-widely seen of two DeCarlo Hill Country "spankers".
  • Video Extra: The Joker spanks Harley Quinn at Christmas time. Live, wild action!
  • The first of two Golden Age Romance Comics spankings, Romantic Marriage #18.
  • We wind up our four-part series on The Effects of the Comics Code on Spanking in Comics with a look at the last three decades, including the Code's decline and fall, in Part 4.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

another nicely shaped lady picked out by Doc Cylon...................nice coloring too :D . i love that third heart :lol: . thanks to Dr. Oxken.................he did a great job of setting that broken arm. eloping after her pa bought a new shotgun is certainly disrespectful and worthy of a good spanking :D that is the best scan of the 3 for sure. both the Joker and Harley Quinn seem to be enjoying the festivities :D . i thought the romance comics was a good story and had a lot of potential for spanking. the one that was shown was kind of disappointing but no spanking the second time was even more so. i guess we should be thankful we got anything at all. in part 4 of your article about the comics code you said, "Even though the Federal Department of Health, Education, and Welfare wanted Marvel to put this book out, the Code would not approve it. " i thought this comment was really interesting and in my opinion, concisely sums up the code in one sentence. the only other quote i can think of that applies as well as this is from Macbeth................."it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". anyway, great article and interesting reading. another good update :D . thanks, phil
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Great piece on the Comics Code. Indeed, looking back you do wonder why the comics companies didn't stand up for their rights. But we must remember that this was the 50s, the time of the Cold War,McCarthyism, and societal pressures to conform in all facets of life. People feared that if they challenged authority they would be labeled as Communists, or subversives. This was the time of blacklisting in Hollywood, of the House UnAmerican Activities Committee investigating folk singers, and of course all the outcry from politicians, press and pulpit about the menace of "juvenile delinquency" .So it was likely inevitable that Wertham had his way.
You also made a good point about how the acceptance of spanking as parental discipline declined in this period may have affected spankings in the comics and screen. Having spanking less of a presence in real life easily could have meant artists would not view it as an option. In other words, if kids are no longer getting spanked for misbehavior, it would be less likely that an artist would show an adult woman getting punished for her bratty behavior by being disciplined like a naughty child..
And its too bad Romance comics vanished. Have seen this week's before, but can always hope an unfamiliar one will turn up.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hi WEB-ED CSR!! Nice work WEB-ED for saying what I been saying for sometime!! Spanking should have never been ban from comic especialy if an artist or writer decided that this was the way he wanted his hero to deal with a naughty female headstrong teenager or full grown woman :lol: I think Comic companies should have stood up for their rights as freedom of speech there nothing UNAMERICA about that!!!! Kinda make you wonder how Playboy became famous durning the time of the feminist movement and still stay on top but comics where afraid to draw spanking except in Men Magazine? Like The A. D Sutton drawing for Tough Loving Care but after a good paddling she got from Doctor Cylon I think her bottom is now tender :lol: Very Sexy drawing from Mr. Sutton also see that he didn`t show much of her V only making a wide gap between her legs! Oxken did a good job on the spanker Arm in A Spanking Breeze making it more tilted and flexable rather than stiff still don`t know if she bare or waering shorts :?: :lol: Good drawing! like Dan Rivera`s scan of Decarlo`s spanking In The Hill can somebody tell me whats the different between over the knees from over the lap? I think they both the same :lol: Anyway love how the daughter is place otk with bottom up high :lol: the spanker is using the right hand with arm tilt. Only promblem DeCarlo had to much shading making it seem to dark and not clear.WOW!! Love the Joker Spanking Harley Quinn Video :lol: This look like something straight out of a comic books! If any female villianess that needed a spanking the most it`s Harley Quinn :D Also think she could give a spanking to Batgirl Catwoman love to see that :twisted: :lol: Really think the spanking in Romantic Marriage 18 was the light and playful and like you said she should have wore a dress that was form fitting showing her bottom :lol: This brat should have gotten a more sterner spanking than that :evil:
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Web-ed... Thanks again, for posting those goodies every Thursday, giving us new and delectable spanking art to enjoy.

It was good to see a proper -- and very clear and sharp -- picture from a "Golden Age" comic, in the Romantic Marriage strip you posted. Although you didn't say so, I suspect that when Ben spanks Nita after she pushes him into a swimming pool fully clothed, she actually ENJOYS the spanking. I saw no frown lines on her face. That, plus the fact that she is "all smiles" in the very next panel, and is prepared to be a good sport about it. Thanks again, for digging up this old nugget. Wish these kinds of panels were still being produced today.

With the Dan DeCarlo hillbilly cartoon, you gave me a nice, bold-face credit... although all I did was dig this one out of some old files I had. Thank you! And you compare it to another old hillbilly toon, one done by Bill Wenzel and printed in "Joker" magazine in 1956. But they are not comparable, in my humble opinion. To start with, Wenzel's toon features my pet peeve among cartoonists: A guy spanking with the WRONG HAND! I always shake my head, sadly, when I encounter one of these.

Too, DeCarlo's captions -- I'm assuming he is the author of these as well as the artist -- are always superior to Wenzel's. They are witty. They take you by surprise, by how clever these captions are. Imagine, a girl being spanked by her dad because she elopes to get married after Pa buys a new shotgun! That conjures up all sorts of contradictory images. A "shotgun wedding," as I understand it, is between a girl who's been knocked up and her seducer, who presumably needs to be threatened by her dad's shotgun to go through with the wedding. But here, the girl and her new hubby actually eloped... meaning the guy was more than willing to get married! Still, DeCarlo's gag is funny because it makes you think. As I say, witty.

Though this has nothing to do with your current "weekly update," I'm reminded of another DeCarlo toon that struck me as being witty in the extreme. That's the one where a very well-dressed gent with grey hair is spanking a girl in a maid's costume. As she lays over his knee, she says, "Gee, Mr. Woodrod: I hope I pass your stern requirements!" That's funny in several ways, not least in the pun the girl has just made. "Stern" means strict, but it also has to do with one's backside. As I said, this guy DeCarlo (if those are really his captions) was devilishly clever.

Thanks again, Web-ed, for maintaining this marvelous site. Your members always look forward to your weekly updates... no one more so than I.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/30/2012

Post by web-ed »

overbarrel49 wrote:the only other quote i can think of that applies as well as this is from Macbeth.................'it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing'. anyway, great article and interesting reading. another good update :D . thanks, phil
Part 4 of the Comics Code article was well-received as were the others, I'm glad to say. They were interesting to do, and I enjoyed my two little fakes (the vampire, werewolf, and zombie in Part 3, and the Legion of Super-Spankos in Part 4).
tanner wrote:And its too bad Romance comics vanished. Have seen this week's before, but can always hope an unfamiliar one will turn up.
Yes, Ripley posted this one (Romantic Marriage #18) on the SpankingPanels bulletin board last month. Good-quality items deserve to be posted even if I'm not the first to find them, although of course I enjoy bringing something to light that no one in the spanking scene has ever seen before. In fact, I believe next week's entry will fill the bill, with a spoiled girl receiving her comeuppance from her mother's boyfriend in Teen-Age Romances #36. I also have two modern superhero books with spankings that while they're not great I can at least guarantee have never appeared on the web before, and we'll be seeing them in a month or so :) . I've also identified four other Golden Age comics which I believe to contain M/F spankings, but I haven't been able to obtain copies of them and I'm afraid it will be a long time before I can because they're scarce and expensive. I did get a GA book this week, but was disappointed to find out the spanking I had correctly guessed it contained was F/M :( .
Butch wrote:can somebody tell me whats the different between over the knees from over the lap? I think they both the same
The terms are often used interchangeably, but some authors make a distinction, for example Bethany Burke in her General Spanking Information article. You can read all the details there, but basically, Over The Lap is what we generally think of as the generic OTK, while Over The Knee refers to what I've called the "leg-lock variant" position in which the spankee goes over the spanker's left knee while he locks her legs against his left leg using his right leg (right-handed spanker).
daneldorado wrote:With the Dan DeCarlo hillbilly cartoon, you gave me a nice, bold-face credit... although all I did was dig this one out of some old files I had. Thank you! And you compare it to another old hillbilly toon, one done by Bill Wenzel and printed in "Joker" magazine in 1956. But they are not comparable, in my humble opinion. To start with, Wenzel's toon features my pet peeve among cartoonists: A guy spanking with the WRONG HAND! I always shake my head, sadly, when I encounter one of these.

Too, DeCarlo's captions -- I'm assuming he is the author of these as well as the artist -- are always superior to Wenzel's. They are witty. They take you by surprise, by how clever these captions are. Imagine, a girl being spanked by her dad because she elopes to get married after Pa buys a new shotgun! That conjures up all sorts of contradictory images. A "shotgun wedding," as I understand it, is between a girl who's been knocked up and her seducer, who presumably needs to be threatened by her dad's shotgun to go through with the wedding. But here, the girl and her new hubby actually eloped... meaning the guy was more than willing to get married! Still, DeCarlo's gag is funny because it makes you think. As I say, witty.

Though this has nothing to do with your current "weekly update," I'm reminded of another DeCarlo toon that struck me as being witty in the extreme. That's the one where a very well-dressed gent with grey hair is spanking a girl in a maid's costume. As she lays over his knee, she says, "Gee, Mr. Woodrod: I hope I pass your stern requirements!" That's funny in several ways, not least in the pun the girl has just made. "Stern" means strict, but it also has to do with one's backside. As I said, this guy DeCarlo (if those are really his captions) was devilishly clever.

Thanks again, Web-ed, for maintaining this marvelous site. Your members always look forward to your weekly updates... no one more so than I.
You're most welcome Dan, and it's good to know you like what I'm doing. I hope to continue for a long, long, time, and for now at least I still have plenty of material. :)

Your observations on Wenzel vs. DeCarlo are interesting. Wenzel does often make that cardinal error of spanking with the wrong hand, and his OTK positioning is sometimes on the shaky side. DeCarlo's great virtue is his consistency - he basically gets the major elements of the spanking cartoon right every time. I brought Wenzel into the discussion because while less consistent than DeCarlo, he is a great innovator in one important respect: he comes up with the general framework that supports a spanking cartoon (for example, secretary spanked by boss or, as in this case, hillbillies in the country). DeCarlo then polishes up this general type in his own style, and like the other aspects of his cartoons, his gags are consistently good.

And you'll be glad to know that we'll be seeing several versions of Mr. Woodrod with his stern requirements in about 6 weeks, near the end of our current run of DeCarlo's "spankers".

On the captions: after studying many examples of Humorama original art, I conclude that the artist (in this case, DeCarlo) wrote the caption himself, which was then sometimes later modified by Abe Goodman in the traditional blue pencil, especially when the cartoon was being reprinted.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 04/06/2012

Post by web-ed »

Six more updates, including a newly-discovered spanking in Romance Comics, plus three additions to the Comics Spanking Data Base that will not be posted, and of course our ongoing searches have made this another busy week here at CSR. First, the CSDB updates:
  1. Cindy #35 (June 1949, Timely) – a big disappointment. This is one our researches indicated probably held a spanking, and since it was a teen humor mag featuring Cindy and Sandra (they're a lot like Patsy Walker and Hedy Wolfe, who have a story in the issue also!), we felt there was a good chance one of these four young women would be spanked by her father. Alas - after taking several years to track down an affordable copy, we find that it's cousin Cuthbert who gets spanked by Cindy's mother! Good artwork, and there's even a panel in which Cindy rubs her bottom complete with pain stars (see below), but this seems to have resulted from an off-panel pratfall, so score it a missed opportunity. It's a little like the Veronica “Wah!” spanking where a bratty cousin gets spanked, but Veronica went OTK also even if off-panel whereas Cindy doesn't :( .
    Cindy rubs her sore bottom but isn't spanked in Cindy #35 (June 1949).
    Cindy rubs her sore bottom but isn't spanked in Cindy #35 (June 1949).
    cindy_no_35_pain_star_panel_small.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
  2. Dynamic Comics #8 (Dynamic Publishing, c. 1944) – “Boss of the Ranch” 1-page gag filler strip. F/M with broom. No date will ever be certain for this as none was given, but we don't care much since it isn't M/F.
  3. Feature Comics #65 (February 1943) – more slapstick paddling from the “Big Top” strip. This time, Butch the clown gets a swat from a female clown auditioning for the act. When he finds out she's older than the young woman he saw earlier in street clothes, he takes the paddle to her, so at least we get one M/F scene which will be posted on 4/27.
Searches:
March comic-book pages searched: 10,450 for a total of 362,623.
Spankings: 5
Humorama: Every time I think I'm done with this, a few more cheap digests turn up. Another dozen of these yielded only two new "spankers" - one by Ward and the other by George Morrice. We probably won't see these until the very end of the Humorama Series.

For links to this week's updates please visit the Home Page (click on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page to get there).
  • Slave girl Leia is colored by Doctor Cylon.
  • Another Humorama update - New version of a Bill Ward Bending Over the Files Spanking.
  • Humorama Series #83 - A nurse's hands may be cold, but her seat will be warm after this patient is through with her!
  • Extra Humorama Bonus - Only days after last week's updates, we found another version of Dan DeCarlo's spanking in the hill country #2. So let's go back and take a second look at it. Most readers probably didn't see it last week anyway unless they checked the Humor Page index, as Dan must have, because someone (no names, please) left out the hyperlinking code from the Home Page, leaving readers with a description but nothing to click on :oops: !
  • Many have asked why spanking seems to have all but disappeared from the comics. We give a partial answer with a newly-revised and expanded version of an article first posted on the CSR Forum: "Whatever Happened to DC Spanking During the Bronze Age?" And it's not just our deathless prose that's been expanded, we added three new excerpts from BA comics as well!
  • The second of two Golden Age Romance Comics spankings, Teen-Age Romances #36. We believe this to be another CSR first!
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

hmmmm, not even a red bottom for Princess Leia as you noted. that's too bad cause i have a hunch that i'm not even close to being the only one who would have loved to see her get a spanking...........preferably from Han :D . still, both the coloring and drawing are really good and she "is" spankable as you mentioned. i agree that a nurse spanking is logical...................it's also a great fantasy :D . i love the panties peeking out and the hose as well as her expression, complete with appropriate blush ;) . thanks for posting the cover of the magazine too. it figures you find this new copy of the shotgun spanking right after you posted the others :lol: . i appreciate your diligence in any case. i found your article about the bronze age really interesting. after reading about what was going on during this time, i'm glad i had quit reading comics by this time. good article. nice romance strip. you're right though............there should have been more than one spanking and i would have liked it if they were than just one panel. another good update. thanks, phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Excellent job again, Web-ed, on your Updates for April 6.

The highlight, for me, was the entry from Teen-Age Romances #36. It is one of the very best spanking panels I've ever seen, from representational art. Its opposite, cartoon art, is where we find a lot more spankings -- stuff like DeCarlo, Wenzel, Ward, and of course pics of Popeye spanking Olive Oyl. But, aside from Prince Valiant spanking Queen Leda, we don't find many good spanking panels among representational art.

Your objection to the panel where Reid (the new stepfather) is standing next to Diane and we appear to hear him say something that just doesn't fit, is well taken. You're right, it had to be the writer's fault.

Other than that, I am super-elated over the pic of Princess Leia. I like Carrie Fisher, but I do not remember her looking anything like that sexy in the movie. You say the artist is Scott Blair? All right, if you say so... but you sure can't tell that from his signature. Man draws beautiful women, but his sig is a squiggle.

Cheers,
Dan
butch46163@yahoo.com

Hi WEB- ED CSR!! I feel that if comic writers and artist would bring back spanking in their work it would feel more like a curse than blessing! Meaning most of it would be played as kink or something to get a raise out of it males readers thing like we see on cable tv shows such as Weeds and Bored To Death even though good it not what I call much deserved :evil: Seem that when the code was lifted comic books became more bloody and volience just like movies did plus add on sex and kink doing away with anything of old fashion values :x How great would it be to see SpiderMan giving a female bank robber a over the knee spanking saying Lady your parents must have forgotten to use this during your up bringing :lol: Now thats the kind of spanking I would love to see in a comic book only comic writters feed on what they think readers would love more killing more blood more sex more kinks but no values :x Now for today spanking art Too bad Doctor Cyslon didn`t give Princess Leia a pink bottom would have done her so good :lol: Really love this drawing WOW!! and wish to have it as a poster on my wall :lol: Sad she wasn`t spanked in any of the Star Wars movies she really deserved it! Can`t say I like the Bill Ward Secretary spanking that much being the way she is dress what kind of out fit is that? more like something she would waer to bed not the office! Like how the boss is trying to make her bend over so he could smack her tush :lol: Now don`t get me wrong I like the drawing only problem is the clothes she wearing a tight pencil skirt showing off her big bottom along with high heels would have been a better outfit to wear at the office!! :D Great drawing from Dan DeCarlo Patient Spanks Nurse love the humor of guys finding any excuse just to spank a pretty woman :D Great otk position with bottom sticking up high also love that we could see her panty peeking out from her nurses uniform love the old nurses uniforms too bad nurses decided to stop wearing them :( The only flaw I have is the guy`s arm is up to high beside that this is a great drawing! Love the spanking in Teenage Romance #36 and wonder if he going to continue to use spanking as a way to discipline her now that he is her father :lol: I think there should have been two panel of this spanking one where she is struggling on his knees and the other with her bottom up recieving her comeuppance :lol: I to think he should have giving her a second spanking being she still havn`t learn her lesson ! This is a great spanking drawing from A man who knows how to draw beautiful women if only there could have been a spanking of Phantom Lady :lol: Love this week drawing! :D :D
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Finally got around to checking this week's out. Great as usual.
I heartily agree that Diane needed to be spanked more. When she slapped him she clearly had not learned her lesson, and should have gone back over his knee for twice as many smacks as the first time. And yes definitely her mother should have spanked her -taken her into her bedroom and spanked her with a hairbrush,panties down. Indeed, if this brat of a young lady had gotten all the spankings she deserved in this story,she would have been eating off the mantel for a week!
The Humorama terrific as always, especially the nurse one.Agree with butch that it was too bad nurses stopped wearing white uniforms-especially when white pantsuits for nurses came along and you could see some nice panty outlines under some of the thinner, snugger trousers some of the nurses wore, especially when they would bend over and their pants would be stretched tight over their buttocks.
At the time of Humorama,not many female doctors. Today, it might be a patient spanking a woman doctor perhaps for keeping him waiting interminably!
Piece on the Bronze Age comics veru interesting. Comics(excuse me -graphic novels) seemed to want to be taken seriously as literature so they brought in many of these darker themes, thats my take on it. Can't say I care for it either.