Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

I enjoyed the story you presented in this week's update :D . Even though things aren't exactly the way I find most arousing, I would certainly have been delighted to have stumbled onto this one back in my high school days ;) . Of course, most spanking stories aren't exactly the way I find most arousing, which is why I started doing my own :lol: . Your comments about the viewers not being able to see either her face or her bottom in the spanking panel is well taken. In my mind, either the spankee's face or her bottom should be plainly visible and I usually do my best to include both of them. The story itself is, of course, one I think most of us here at CSR relish..........a spoiled girl who is being deliberately naughty gets a good spanking :D . The main thing that could have made this story much better would have been if our lowly private had been the one administering the spanking, causing her to fall in love with him. You mentioned that the girls reading it would have enjoyed this story of one of their own getting a spanking but I'm betting they would have enjoyed it more if Rick had been the one spanking her, rather than their father. In fact, I have to wonder how many of them actually fantasized that's exactly what happened, perhaps with themselves in the role of the naughty girl, maybe even with her dress raised and panties down 8-) . I'm betting that would have been a good source of wet panties for girls reading this in the privacy of their bedrooms 8-) . Great start to Romantic Spanking Month :D . I'll be looking forward to the next update. Thanks, phil
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Private Ralston would not risk being dishonourably discharged which would have spoiled his chances at practising law by what would be described as assaulting a woman.

As for the second last panel, lawyers make a lot more money than soldiers, even officers. Ralston would keep her well above the standard she was used to.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

This particular episode is very much appreciated. Not only is the spanking very good but Claire's rear is nicely showcased as she is seen pouting on her bed. One note of warning to Claire Carson through. Ricky Ralston's enlistment (or time of service if drafted) has reached an end after two or three years - and he is still a stripeless buck private. Careful Claire his, throw the garbage into the backseat response to teasing, might leave you married to a struggling OLD lawyer one day. Gaining rank might have been a slow process back in 1950 but for a college educated fellow who was hand-picked to be the colonel's driver to be the same rank as he was in basic training - well...Bing retired from the Army, mostly but not all in the National Guard, I tend to be critical of a story line like this one but since I wasn't born yet in 1950 I can't really be too critical or claim to be an expert - betting though you could call for an immediate cease fire even then.

The spanking scene is reminiscent of Crime and Justice #1. I also ran through Gallery 2 to note how many M/F spankings involve the top being in the military: Bob & Swab spank Bargirl, Captain Terry Thunder 1 & 2, Jane The War Years, Steve Canyon #2 & 4, Terry and the Pirates F/F, Popeye (?), Captain Easy #4, Abbie An' Slats #2, Daring Love #17, Combat Casey and Oaky Doaks Sept. 1939 -An Admiral no less! A lot of "captains" weren't actually in the military (Captain Triumph...) and Johnny Hazard was a civilian by the late '50s. Coming up, but not yet in CSR will be Ella Cinders' Army Air Corp husband spanking one of her evil step-sisters in 1943.

This storyline is very similar to one featured in episode 4 of the TV series The Lieutenant that originally aired in November of 1963. The Two-Star Giant has a sub-plot that involves Lt. Rice (Gary Lockwood) dating the colonel's daughter (Linda Evans). He's temporarily assigned to be a general's aide but he would rather stay as platoon leader with his men. The girl falsely convinces her dad (played by Richard Anderson of Six-Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman fame) who is the general's chief-of-staff that Rice really wants to continue working for the general even when the regular aide becomes available again. She thinks that Rice could use a career boost. Cutting to the chase, dad finds out about this deception - he returns to his quarters - the next unfortunately happens off screen - gets a confession from his daughter, spanks her, and orders her to apologize to Bill Rice. In the final scene, as Bill leaves the general's house to return to his regular duties, she says she is sorry..."and a little embarrassed. He spanked me!" We do get to see Linda Evans spanked a few years later in The Big Valley. The Lieutenant lasted only one season and is probably best known as being Gene Roddenberry's first series as producer and showrunner. He is more famous for creating Star Trek.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi Phil,

I hadn't thought about it until you pointed it up but, having served in the Army, I do think you're right about the implausibility of our hero having no stripes after completing training. I went on active duty in December of 1968. By the time I completed training and was assigned to my permanent duty station, I was E-3 and was promoted to E-4 a few months later. The only circumstances I can think of where he would have been E-1 would be where some sort of disciplinary had been taken. On the matter of being drafted, I think length of hitches has varied widely over the time between the revolution and now. When I was in, draftees served 2 years while enlistees were 3 years. In my case, I as offered 12 months at the duty station of my choice as an inducement to enlist and serve the extra year. Also, a college educated man would probably have been pressured to become an officer although that wasn't mandatory. I had one friend who had finished law school and passed his bar exams in Illinois who passed on that and went in as an enlisted man..........perhaps because officers had to serve a longer hitch?

Of course, it was still a nice story even with the story problems. It seems likely that the writer had no experience in military matters. Phil O
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB-ED CSR!! Don`t know much about Arms Forces but Would think a Private would have one stripe on his sleeve :?: seeing Claire getting her comeuppance is GOOD :D but Ricky should have been doing the spanking and later she telling her father :lol: the otk is good along with the legs kicking and sobbing! this spanking is hard! wonder why Fathers in comic or movies wait until their daughters are grown to start disciplining them :twisted: :lol: :lol: GREAT Spanking in Comic!!
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Phil O

[I hadn't thought about it until you pointed it up but, having served in the Army, I do think you're right about the implausibility of our hero having no stripes after completing training. I went on active duty in December of 1968. ]

Everything you said is spot-on correct as far as I know. Anyway, that's exactly the same scenario as in 1976 when I first entered service as a college graduate and went to MP school and then served in South Korea and Fort Meade, MD. I started as an E3 (PFC), went to E4 in six months and was an E5 - buck SGT within two years. So Ricky must have had some disciplinary problems of his own if he remained, or returned to being, a lowly E1 - but even that should have been worth 1 measly strip as butch... points out. Just saying, Claire gave a nice Taming of The Shrew speech at the end of the story so she wants to make sure she's going on permanent KP for the right kind of guy...I mean he didn't even spank her when she needed it!

Phil S
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Sweetspot wrote: The spanking scene is reminiscent of Crime and Justice #1. I also ran through Gallery 2 to note how many M/F spankings involve the top being in the military: Bob & Swab spank Bargirl, Captain Terry Thunder 1 & 2, Jane The War Years, Steve Canyon #2 & 4, Terry and the Pirates F/F, Popeye (?), Captain Easy #4, Abbie An' Slats #2, Daring Love #17, Combat Casey and Oaky Doaks Sept. 1939 -An Admiral no less! A lot of "captains" weren't actually in the military (Captain Triumph...) and Johnny Hazard was a civilian by the late '50s. Coming up, but not yet in CSR will be Ella Cinders' Army Air Corp husband spanking one of her evil step-sisters in 1943.

This storyline is very similar to one featured in episode 4 of the TV series The Lieutenant that originally aired in November of 1963. The Two-Star Giant has a sub-plot that involves Lt. Rice (Gary Lockwood) dating the colonel's daughter (Linda Evans). He's temporarily assigned to be a general's aide but he would rather stay as platoon leader with his men. The girl falsely convinces her dad (played by Richard Anderson of Six-Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman fame) who is the general's chief-of-staff that Rice really wants to continue working for the general even when the regular aide becomes available again. She thinks that Rice could use a career boost. Cutting to the chase, dad finds out about this deception - he returns to his quarters - the next unfortunately happens off screen - gets a confession from his daughter, spanks her, and orders her to apologize to Bill Rice. In the final scene, as Bill leaves the general's house to return to his regular duties, she says she is sorry..."and a little embarrassed. He spanked me!" We do get to see Linda Evans spanked a few years later in The Big Valley. The Lieutenant lasted only one season and is probably best known as being Gene Roddenberry's first series as producer and showrunner. He is more famous for creating Star Trek.
Thanks for bringing up the similarity, Phil. You may remember telling me about The Lieutenant some years ago. I put it on the search list, and two or three years ago managed to get a video of the episode! It's been languishing in my files ever since :oops: . Video has been a problem for several reasons, and in the past two years I've only done two video updates, Tony/Marla on Dancing With The Stars and the Dick Van Dyke show with the late Mary Tyler Moore.

There's a whole lot of video material waiting to be edited and posted, but I've had difficulty getting to it. In addition, I still have no good alternative to embedding the Windows Media Player in the page (which only works with Internet Explorer), have to watch out for too many downloads the day I post it, and recently YouTube has given me trouble as well, removing two videos I posted there. Perhaps I'll say a little more about that another day.

Anyway, some day :roll: we'll see the relevant scenes from The Lieutenant.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

From our previous discussion I didn't have any expectations that you would have the video from the Lieutenant. But the similarities between that one and Claire's spanking were to striking for me to pass up mentioning in the Forum. I was hoping someone would say they knew where to find that episode on line (I own a copy so this isn't about me). I'm glad you have that video now but I understand how it can be a problem to post. I wouldn't even know where to begin. My unwillingness to fool around with stuff like that is one of the reasons why I send you my discoveries and don't have a blog of my own. That and of course the fact who in their right mind would think they could do as well, let alone improve upon CSR.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Video and The Lieutenant

Post by web-ed »

You're too kind, Phil, but thank you, and there are indeed a lot of technical problems with running a full-blown web site like CSR where I don't even have any blogging software to help. I think after my recent YouTube experiences - they pulled down my Banacek and Wagon Train videos, the former due to a copyright claim and the latter due to pure political correctness - self-hosting the videos is the way to go, but that can lead to problems with my web host if everybody starts downloading the video on the same day.

Nonetheless, I do plan to post some videos this year, for the Birthday Spankings special in April and another Batman clip for Super-Spanking Summer. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 02/10/2017

Post by web-ed »

Romantic Spanking Month continues with a high-spirited filly who runs across the hombre who can tame her in the western saga "I Met My Master". And expect some surprises when we start digging into the history of this story. :)

This is another of my original discoveries made what I call "the hard way": it begins when my ongoing research suggests that a particular comic book might have a spanking, but with no digital scan available I have to snag an actual copy of the book. For the benefit of non-comic-collectors out there, Golden Age books are generally somewhat scarce and therefore expensive, and it can take a long time to find an affordable copy. (Most of my own personal collection is Silver/Bronze Age, and therefore not particularly valuable in the monetary sense although of course it does have some spankings :) ). And many good spanking scenes (including some past examples from romance comics) have been found exactly this way.

Now this may have helped me recognize something very familiar about "I Met My Master" (having a very good memory helped also), and when you check out the page, you'll find out what that something was.

So what's the "easy" way? It's really a poor choice of adjectives, but searching through digital scans, while time-consuming, is at least conceptually simple and in theory comprehensive: if you look through every comic-book and strip ever published, you'll discover all the spankings. Of course there are many pitfalls, and we won't go through them all now, but having to go through catalogs, collectors' descriptions in unusual locations, etc. and then locate a single issue published in some cases 60 or more years ago seems to me the more problematic approach, even though often necessary for the simple reason that comics still under copyright cannot be made publicly available as digital scans.

Bishop Berkley does basically the same thing, while Phil Sweetspot has been using a similar but perhaps more refined technique (with different source material) to locate his comic-strip spankings, and perhaps we'll say a little more about that when we resume the Comic Strip Series in March.

Anyway, I hope everybody is enjoying these examples from romance comics, and we have two more nice spankings to go. Which brings us to
Next Week: Romantic Spanking Month continues with "You'll Come A-Begging" - which should have been called "You'll Come A-Spanking" since that's what happens! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

That's a nice find, Web-ed, with the "I Met my Master" comic. I'm glad you have such a good memory, for you were able to remember that the story is basically identical to another one, called "A Man for Amy." I liked the "Master" story better, for a very simple reason: The outline of her soundly spanked bottom is much sharper here, rather than the rumpled jeans on the bottom of the girl in the "Amy" story. Unfortunately, both toons get a C-minus from me, as neither spanking panel shows the spankee's face.

Didn't you say, just last week: "In the ideal spanking panel, the spankee's face and fanny should both be visible."

Cheers,
Dan
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!! Nice that you compare both the original and the remake 8-) I too like the I Met My Master drawing better :D due to I like how the chaps she wearing highlight her bottom :lol: :lol: Wonder how women back in the day reacted to a comic tittle How I Met My Master :twisted: :shock: :lol: :lol: I know for sure this would have been very bad today :lol: the Amy in the original comic look more bad and in need of a spanking! also the otk is Great!! had to look twice because I thought he was holding her head in the water :twisted: :lol: :lol: GREAT SPANKING IN OLD WEST COMIC 8-) Seen A promo for Adult Swim called School Rulz that feature a beautiful woman who suppose to be a teacher bending over a desk dressed in a tight skirt being paddle by a male principal with the saying all after school spanking is for staff members only :lol: Check it out!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 02/10/2017

Post by web-ed »

daneldorado wrote:That's a nice find, Web-ed, with the "I Met my Master" comic. I'm glad you have such a good memory, for you were able to remember that the story is basically identical to another one, called "A Man for Amy." I liked the "Master" story better, for a very simple reason: The outline of her soundly spanked bottom is much sharper here, rather than the rumpled jeans on the bottom of the girl in the "Amy" story. Unfortunately, both toons get a C-minus from me, as neither spanking panel shows the spankee's face.

Didn't you say, just last week: "In the ideal spanking panel, the spankee's face and fanny should both be visible."
Indeed I did, Dan, and your criticism of both panels is well-founded. It's a pity that Maneely in particular, after giving us a better look at her fanny, didn't realize the importance of showing Amy's face.
Butch wrote:GREAT SPANKING IN OLD WEST COMIC 8-) Seen A promo for Adult Swim called School Rulz that feature a beautiful woman who suppose to be a teacher bending over a desk dressed in a tight skirt being paddle by a male principal with the saying all after school spanking is for staff members only :lol: Check it out!
Glad you liked "I Met My Master" Butch. Do you have a link to the promo? I haven't been able to find it on Adult Swim or YouTube, and I'd like to capture it before it's gone. Sounds like it would be a fine addition to next fall's "Back to School" issue of CSR! :lol:
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

"Silly little planet. I could rule the place with the right set of mammary glands."
Serleena from Men In Black II

"All my life I had scorned men - - to me they were a bunch of spineless varmints who would be made the slaves of a gal with a pretty face!"
Amy and Amy

I spent a good hour or more pouring over these two comics. What a nice addition to CSR. Joe Maneely seems to have been a great talent, this might be an overstatement but in its own way the loss of Maneely reminds me of the loss of young poet Joyce Kilmer during WWI.

I suppose the choice of a side of a water trough was out of necessity for assuredly it would have proved too narrow a seat for effective spanking. The water trough was interesting in that it changed size throughout the short story appearing incredibly small at one point and almost buried in the grass in another. I note that brunette Amy's one concession to feminine attire was the red (sometimes yellow) ribbon in her hair - but other than that I got to say that I liked the way blonde Amy looked and dressed - just for the sake of the spanking that is. I'm not a chaps kind of guy. A very well deserved spanking for a lady who whips and shoots at her employees and rude strangers.

So anyone for walking up to Stan Lee's door and asking him if he is the author of this tale? Not me, I don't want to end up like Dr. Sheldon Cooper with a restraining order signed by Mr. Lee as a souvenir.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 02/10/2017

Post by web-ed »

Sweetspot wrote:
So anyone for walking up to Stan Lee's door and asking him if he is the author of this tale? Not me, I don't want to end up like Dr. Sheldon Cooper with a restraining order signed by Mr. Lee as a souvenir.
I'm glad you brought this up, Phil, because it allows me to talk a little more about Stan Lee, now a comics legend who entered the business at the ripe old age of 17 in 1939 and is rather amazingly still with us. Of course, he's nearly 95 now, and even if I could get an interview with him there'd be no point in asking if he wrote this story as I believe because he always had a bad memory and certainly wouldn't remember after more than sixty years.

Do you know how The Hulk's alter-ego, Robert Bruce Banner, got his name? Lee had named him Bruce Banner, then forgot and started calling him "Bob Banner" for awhile! :lol: Because he was the editor as well as the writer, nobody caught the mistake for several issues (in fairness, it wasn't the letterer's job). To cover up the mistake, somebody decided that Banner's full name should be "Robert Bruce Banner". And this was a book Lee was writing every month! So Lee's memory was never the best.

But I do think he wrote this story, and should be credited for two spankings. Consulting the CSR Comics Spanking Data Base, I find I have attributed two other spankings to him, the one of Sue Storm in Fantastic Four that the Comics Code insisted be removed, and the atrocious Rockman/Midgets spankings in USA Comics. Furthermore, because of a recent discovery of another Atlas-era spanking that was similar to the one in Venus #2, I now think Lee wrote both of them as well, boosting his total to six. (As to that other spanking, I don't have a really good scan of it yet, but it definitely exists and I know where!). Other possible Lee-spankings are the two of Hedy Wolfe by her father.

Marvel (Atlas's) Golden Age books have never been thoroughly searched, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a few more spankings, particularly in their romance and teen humor titles. I hope to live long enough to find them all! :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

This certainly is the kind of story we like here at CSR :D . Talk about a girl who really needed to be taken in hand :lol: . The ending of this is probably exactly the way most of us would have written it and is a refreshing change from all those stories out there where the girl really needs a spanking but it never happens. I love all the history and speculation you've presented with this. It's so interesting to understand some of the things the publishers were going through and their solutions. From the dialog, this most definitely is the same story and I found it interesting that it would be redrawn rather than just re printed. I think everyone has covered the pros and cons of both versions so I won't comment on that but you made an observation about just how good an artist Joe Maneely was and I will comment on that. I did notice all the extra details he put in to his drawings and there was one detail that apparently everyone else missed..........in Maneely's version, our naughty spankee was wearing spurs :o ! In my opinion, it takes a real man to spank a girl with spurs on and risk getting cut to pieces once those legs get churning :lol: .

Thanks too for including that caricature that Maneely drew :lol: . Good updates this week :D . Thanks, Phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 02/17/2017

Post by web-ed »

Romantic Spanking Month continues with "You'll Come A-Begging" - which should have been called "You'll Come A-Spanking" since that's what happens! :)

This is a pretty decent spanking from the last issue of Sweethearts that Fawcett ever published (the title was picked up by Charlton who continued it for many more years, as I explain on the page). One more spanking in this title is known, and we'll see it next week, while many issues remain to be searched - if I can get my hands on them.

Also, Hugob00m jumps in to help us with Romantic Spanking Month with some re-captioned cartoons by Bill Wenzel and a painting with some red color added "where it will do the most good" to coin a phrase. :)

Next Week: Romantic Spanking Month concludes with a fine public spanking witnessed by a guy who should have done it himself (but didn't) and a lot of other people - two boys even taunt the spankee later on! Be here for "My Vengeful Heart" (and sore butt) :lol: !
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

This is another fine addition to Romantic Spanking month :D . It's a bit strange that she didn't realize her love for him after he spanked her and I agree with you the writer boxed himself in by writing the story this way. Still, it a good story about a spoiled girl who gets in over her head by tangling with the wrong man and gets a spanking for her troubles :D . That's always the kind of story we like to see around here. I thought your comments about the way the spanking panel was drawn were all valid. It's especially disappointing that her bottom isn't more well defined in the spanking panel. Still, it's a good story ;) . I had to chuckle when I was reading about the numbering snafu :lol: . Does it sometimes seem like these people knew you'd be trying to sort all this out and deliberately set out to make it as difficult as possible? Thanks for putting in the effort to do so for us. Phil O
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!! THANKS! for another GREAT!! spanking from a Romance comic 8-) You are right about the target for these comics was teenage girls don`t know why boys would read this unless they are spankos like myself back in the day who would steal them from my female cousins when I visit them :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: the story is good! believe the whole plot was to give a Beautiful brat a spanking :lol: which is alright with me 8-) 8-) :D the over the knee is GREAT! wish they have giving her a much rounder bottom and a curvy waist! miss the old days when teenage girls and women wasn`t offended seeing a woman getting a spanking from a handsome strong man either in comics or romance novels :lol: :lol:
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I haven't had a lot of time to log in lately, hence not many comments... but I had to say how much I liked this week's installment of Romantic Spanking Month! Yeah, there was the continuity error in how the artist left out her belt and I agree that it would've been more exciting if the shape of her buttocks had been more defined... but still... the overall composition of the spanking panel was pleasing and the woman being spanked was quite attractive.

Most of all, I appreciate that you posted the whole story, so we could see the context of the spanking. She clearly deserved her punishment!
web-ed wrote: And that brings us to the element of reader identification that we mentioned above. It was strongly encouraged, of course, because young readers often expect and want to be able to identify with the lead character, and this must have been much of the appeal of romance comics to girls who were trying to sort out all their questions regarding boys and dating. So what would a girl between the ages of, say, 12 and 18, have thought of this panel? Reading "He put me across his knee and paddled me until I wept with humiliation!" must have been a little scary and yet thrilling at the same time.

"Do boys really do that to girls?" she may have wondered. Every girl seeing this must have pictured herself over a boy's knee, and of course a few of them later found confirmation in their own lives that some boys, at least, do spank!
Even though this story is narrated by its female lead character, I suspect that the unknown author was actually a middle-aged man. Did girls read it and identify with the narrator? I'd like to hear from any women who read these comics when they were young! Did they fantasize about being spanked by their husbands someday? Did they ever fantasize about being spanked by a handsome stranger, and eventually falling in love with him? A lot of the situations in the romance comics seem to be male fantasies... (Well... speaking for myself, I used to fantasize about spanking pretty girls for various offenses and then having them fall in love with me!)

I also enjoyed last week's comic with the rough tough cowboy spanking the girl and winning her heart!