Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
overbarrel49

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

thanks for all the info on your ongoing searches. it pleases me to think there may still be a lot of comic spankings out there, even if it getting harder and harder to find them :D . you do seem to be very thorough and determined though and i have confidence that you will continue to find enough spankings to continue the weekly updates for many moons to come ;) . i really appreciate all the effort you put in on our behalf :D .

you really came through with all the info we could ever need on these 3 Smilin' Jack spankings :D . not only did you find out who the spankees were in all 3 but you also managed to tie them all together. in addition, the pages that you posted from this comic book give us the whole story. it's so great that we now have all the information about these spankings. it just kicks my enjoyment up a notch even though the spankings were great all by themselves :D . this was an excellent update this week :D . thanks for all the hard work. phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/08/2016

Post by web-ed »

You're most welcome, Phil! :)
-- Web-Ed
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Smiling Jack was an equal opportunity spanker. He spanked every woman in sight.
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB ED CSR!!!!!! WOW :D :D :D !!! Three Super Hot Spankings in a Smilin Jack comic 8-) love the panels leading up to the spankings! always like seeing what merit the spanking :lol: both mother and daughter got what they deserved :D got to love seeing two women getting spanked at the same time 8-) :lol: :lol: only flaw what was Jack seated on? :twisted: Cindy spanking her daughter Cherry is Great! Good otk position and a very shapely bottom cherry have :D GREAT GREAT GREAT drawing from comic 8-) and Nice work WEB-ED!! THANKS 8-) 8-)
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

No wonder Smilin' Jack is smiling! Even with two black eyes! And thanks for finding the story that went with those spankings! It's good to know what Cindy and Cherry did to deserve getting their bottoms warmed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote:No wonder Smilin' Jack is smiling! Even with two black eyes! And thanks for finding the story that went with those spankings! It's good to know what Cindy and Cherry did to deserve getting their bottoms warmed.
You're most welcome, b00m! It's always fun to track these things down. :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 01/15/2016

Post by web-ed »

Well, we're halfway through January already, so let's continue our comics updates with another spanking from Smilin' Jack. This time, it's Jack's son Jolly carrying on the family tradition! New color scans from 1960.

O.K., last time I talked about the various comics spanking searches and where they stood, so this week let's talk about Humorama - where we stand today and what we can expect in the future.

217 cartoons have been posted(!), one of which is technically unconfirmed because there is no source for it although I’m sure it’s from a Humorama magazine. Dan has posted another Wenzel cartoon on this forum which may or may not be Humorama – I’ll avoid posting it as part of the Series until I can confirm its origin. About 35 digests from what I call the classic period (1956-60) remain to be checked, although it’s possible in a few cases I’m searching for digests that were never published. The problem is that even today we still don’t have a complete picture of all Humorama’s publishing history.

Let’s break my plans down by period:

Classic period (1956-60) – I’ve decided I want to complete this part of the search before I resume the Humorama Series so that when I do, I can at least state confidently that there aren’t any more cartoons from this period, which is the most important by any measure and certainly when it comes to spanking! I’m hoping to do that in two more years.

Pre-classic – I think only 1954-55 have any real possibilities, but I’ve already checked many digests from those two years and there is still only one known OTK spanking cartoon, Wenzel’s Secretary Spanking #26 (http://www.chicagospankingreview.org/hu ... era_th.jpg), that rather odd Squeegee Spanking, and that very odd Fresh Fish Spanking from this period. Because they go back all the way to 1938, and Humorama digests become progressively rarer before 1954, I’m not going to hold up the Series while I continue to search these years. If anything turns up, I can always re-open the Series to post it.

Reprint period (1961-1971) – I believe that the digests and full-sized magazines were all-reprint during this time except for some new stuff by Bill Ward. It’s difficult to document since there are no known new Ward spanking cartoons from this era and I don’t catalog the non-spanking cartoons (what an idea!), but I have seen many cartoons using a different style than he used with his conte crayon during the classic period. I will continue to research these years if for no other reason than to continue to nail down the reprint dates of the classic cartoons, and I may hold up posting some of the reprints until I have all of their expected four appearances. (It appears the classic-period cartoons were reprinted three times). I do have quite a few of these reprints in the files now.

Final Decade (1972-81) – I’ve learned quite a bit about this period during the last two years. It appears both Wenzel and Ward were still selling a few cartoons to Humorama during this time, and I’ve posted one “spanker” by Ward and several by Wenzel. The Wenzel cartoons seem to have come from the earlier years of the decade and then in some cases been reprinted near the end. Whether there are any more undiscovered “spankers” by either man (or any other artists) from this period is still unknown, and again, I won’t hold up the Series while searching it further because it may take many years.

We'll also have some other Humorama-related features eventually: there were some live-model spankings and I've amassed a lot more items for a third edition of Humorama Spanking Positions, plus more Humorama Models. :)
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

first off, thanks for the reminders about the Humorama periods. i guess the reason for reprint period was mostly economic perhaps coupled with less interest in such digests. i always found it interesting that despite the fact that most everything was published using reprints, there were still a few new drawings by Bill Ward and i have to wonder how it came about that an exception was made for some of his stuff. all this seems pretty confusing to me and i have to admire your ability to sort this all out.

the new scans of the spanking from Smilin' Jack are really great...........much clearer and in color too :D it's too bad they didn't include the after spanking panels too as we always love to see a spankee dancing around, rubbing her bottom after the spanking..........especially when the spanking is well deserved as this one is :lol: . it's interesting that artists doing these kinds of scenes seem never to be bothered by minor details such as the background and what the spanker is sitting on :lol: . i guess they figure no one's paying any attention to any of that anyway. Still, it's a really good depiction of the spanking of a naughty girl even if Jolly doesn't have anything to sit on :D . i noticed that the spankee in this case is depicted as very 36-24-36 like, as would be expected for a drawing from this time period. however, in the spanking panel itself, her bottom seems to be smaller, less rounded and less voluptuous. i wonder if that's just the way it turned out or if perhaps that was done deliberately to lower the erotic level of the panel? in any case, it's still a great spanking and the new scans are a great update :D . thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!!! Like father like son :D 8-) Just think how Fantastic this spanking would have been if Jolly had something to sat on while giving Sully her comeuppance :twisted: :lol: I believe that if Jolly was seated and Sully planted down firmly across his lap her buttocks would be raise high making them more shapely and the spanking more exciting the same with last week Jack`s drawing :geek: any way love the color version and the build up leading to the spanking too bad we didn`t see the after spanking dance :x GREAT SPANKING DRAWING FROM Comic 8-) THANKS!!!
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Ah, yes! Another Smilin' Jack page... in color... AND with some of the lead-in to the spanking panel! So now we have a better idea about why Jolly felt the need to spank this curvaceous young lady... (besides the likelihood that he he must've been waiting for ANY excuse he could find to put his hand across the seat of her tight pants! I know I'd be!) I've wondered from time to time: Was Zack Mosely "into" spankings? The frequency would suggest yes, but I have a problem with the awkward position of the men... I don't have a final conclusion about this... but I'm pretty sure he was an ardent admirer of women's backsides!
jimc

Post by jimc »

yes. Mosely was quite a spanker. I seem to remember another caption that said something to the effect" that spanking you just gave me really hurt" anybody else remember that or did I just imagine it. I enjoyed his female bottoms esp. being spanked, but they were never really proper otk as the spankings did almost seem suspended with no place to sit. I enjoyed all the spankings in this series. I see there are more Humorama spanking s to be posted and look forward to seeing them. I often wonder if these spankings made their way to other men's magazines like Sex To Sexty or MR. Magazine. I see there is another spanking comics over at Tmbler and it does have the pictures of many of the ones that web-ed does have in the database the younger kids and older newspaper spanking comics. it does have the whole gambit of spanking that some may not find to their liking. I am a girl spanker and there are others that while I have seen them did not think too much on them, but it was nice to see some of them again. Have a great day.
Jim
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/15/2015

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote: I've wondered from time to time: Was Zack Mosely "into" spankings? The frequency would suggest yes, but I have a problem with the awkward position of the men... I don't have a final conclusion about this... but I'm pretty sure he was an ardent admirer of women's backsides!
Yeah, b00m, it's pretty hard to see Mosley as indifferent to the female behind - but was he a spanko? This subject has come up here before, of course. Dan was definitely of the opinion that Mosley had to be one of us with no fewer than 10 known spankings in the strip! If he wasn't an actual spanko like us, he must at least have been a man who believed in the practical value of spanking stubborn women :lol: !

By the way, speaking of Dan, he's still having some kind of problem getting into this board - I'm working on it as I know we all miss his contributions.
jimc wrote:(I see there are more Humorama spanking's to be posted and look forward to seeing them. I often wonder if these spankings made their way to other men's magazines like Sex To Sexty or MR. Magazine.
The answer to that question, Jim, is "almost certainly not". The reason is that Humorama/Timely/Atlas/Marvel publisher Martin Goodman was a very proprietary guy and always owned the creators' original work, which was kept as inventory (he did pay reprint money when he printed the cartoons or comics again). There's no way Sex To Sexty or MR. magazine, which were not Goodman publications, would have had access to the original Humorama art because it wasn't available until Humorama was liquidated (I think around 1983, although I've never been able to nail this date down).

Now I don't have the exact dates of these two publications handy, but I'm pretty sure Mr. was gone by then, although Sex To Sexty might still have been around. So what was the fate of the Humorama spanking cartoons? It appears each one from the classic period (1955-60) was printed four times between 1955 and 1981, as we are in the process of seeing. After that they seem to have been auctioned off, probably with Humorama's other assets, and the original art does show up in the marketplace every now and then. Two e-publishers have tried reprinting the Humorama digests in electronic form, without much success - collectors seem to strongly prefer the digests. Some were collected and made available as photostatic reprints - I bought a copy of this little collection in 1994 but felt pressured to get rid of it a few years later. Fantagraphics has reprinted some of the spanking and non-spanking cartoons of Dan DeCarlo and Bill Wenzel. And of course in the past 20 or so years they have been reprinted on CSR and other places on the web.

Now let's talk more about the two publications you mentioned. I have avoided researching Sex To Sexty because I simply do not have the time or financial resources to do so at this time. In the future I will probably try to go through whatever editions I can find, although I wouldn't get my hopes up because I doubt they had many "spankers" and they certainly couldn't have had as many as Humorama! They may in fact have had none.

As to Mr., you may remember that Tanner brought up the subject several years ago. Some of the readers' letters on spanking have been reprinted, and they are available on the internet (I forget the site name) although there is reason to question their authenticity (Mr. had a habit of making things up, perhaps when they had trouble getting material for the next issue). Following his tip, I did indeed obtain a number of issues of this magazine, and found there was more spanking talk than action, if by "action" we mean photos or drawings. However, I plan to present my findings in a long article or series, something like "A Survey of Spanking in Men's Magazines". I've got quite a bit of material now, including the source for a Bill Wenzel spanking we've seen on this Forum.

So when will we see it, you ask, wondering if any of us will live long enough :lol: ? About all I can say is I'll try to schedule it in 2017 as we're already "booked" through summer this year. :?
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 01/22/2016

Post by web-ed »

We revisit a comic strip spanking we posted in the past to show new scans. This time, it's Mark Trail #1 as Jasper takes the hairbrush to Vivian.

This is a much clearer scan of the strip, and I'm glad to have it. While I'm sure we're all grateful to have comic book/strip spankings in any quality, with some of the older ones all we have are photostats or microfiche, neither of which provide much clarity (and photostats don't even reproduce color). Therefore, where a modern scan becomes available, I will certainly update the page.

Only one update again this week - I remain under enormous pressure and want to make sure I have time to do the 2 updates per week I have planned in February. Also, I had to create the new template for the "Rivals of Humorama" series we're going to start in March. What's a "template," you ask?

Those of you familiar with word processing will know that if a document needs to be formatted in a certain way, like a legal document or even a business letter, you can create a template that shortens the time it takes you to do the next such document. On the CSR main site, with the exception of anything that involves the two data bases and the "Spank Batgirl" and "Spank Wonder Woman" interactive games, the pages are pure unscripted HTML without any third-party content. This means they load relatively quickly and don't jump around when loading (I hate that on most sites). It also means I write each line of HTML by hand.

Now if I had to actually create each new page line by line, it would take a couple of hours just to do the coding! Luckily, the pages don't have to be all that different from each other, so I use one particular page as a "template" for the next. Then all I have to do is change the background color, the verbiage, the positioning of the images, etc. which can be done in 15 minutes. Obviously any writing or hand-altering of images is in addition to this time. I typically use the previous update as the template for the next one, and there are some slight differences between the various galleries. (The total time required for a new page generally varies from 1/2 to 4 hours, depending on how long it is, how many images and how long to prepare them, etc.)

With the Humorama Series, I decided a wanted a unique template, so I created that one with all the digest images near the top, the special verbiage ("A Chicago Spanking Review Special Presentation"), etc. Once I had it in place, I just kept copying the code over and over again. For "Rivals of Humorama," I started from the last edition of the Humorama Series and changed the digest images, the verbiage, etc. - and the new template is ready! I'm sure everyone will find the new series interesting, and I'll try to wind it up just in time for Super-Spanking Summer. :)

I mentioned Dan's absence in the preceding post, but in case anyone didn't see it, I'm sure many of you have been wondering what happened to him. He had a lot of problems logging on, which I thought had been fixed when I reset his password, but in fact they continued. Of course we all want him back, so I continue to work on things and I hope he'll be back soon. And of course if anyone else is having any problems, be sure to let me know. If you can't sign into this board, you can always use the "E-mail the Web-Ed" button over on the Home Page.
-- Web-Ed
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

this new scan is indeed much clearer :D . i like the story behind this one as well as the drawing. i have a hunch that Ed Dodd is an experienced spanker and must have given a few spankings in his time since he makes the spanker in his drawing appear experienced 8-) . it looks like a good, sound paddling to me......just the way i like it :D . i keep wondering why so many drawings of spanking scenes have a left handed spanker? it seems to me like the spankers are depicted as left handed much more than right handed. it makes me wonder if it's easier to do if you are drawing a spanking scene? perhaps Boom or Dan can shed some light on this for me even though Dan uses right handed spankers and Boom is ambidextrous.

thanks for the information about the process you have to go through to get this stuff presented for us. i have no knowledge of HTML at all so it's nice to have some idea of just how you go about it :D . it sounds like you have to be pretty knowledgeable to squeeze out as much efficiency as possible unless you have unlimited time to devote to it. i saw Dan posted something to the "publicity photos" forum today so i'm hoping he is back to stay now. good updates again. thanks, phil
butch46163@yahoo.com

HI WEB-ED CSR!!'' Like this spanking from the comic Strip Mark Trail even though I never saw these Characters before :twisted: :lol: glad to see Jasper is a firm believer that no woman is too old for a SPANKING :D 8-) ! good reaction from his wife as she see the large hairbrush in his hand :lol: GREAT otk position even though I wish the artist have made Vivian bottom more bigger and rounder :) something about a woman `s bottom when she mature bigger fatter :lol: 8-) nice to see a clearer version of this strip :D GREAT SPANKING! and GREAT JOB WEB-ED 8-)
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Somehow, I missed this when you posted it origianlly... but I'm glad to see the better scan you found now. I've never heard of Jasper and Vivian before, but, as the strip shows, Vivian is indeed NOT too old to be
spanked! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And... there was a question about lefthanded spankers. Idon't know about other cartoonists, but usually for me, lefthandedness is usually either a matter of composition or continuity. There are times when the composition just works out better if I draw the woman in an O.T.K. position with her face to the left side of the panel and her kicking legs to the right. And of course, the easiest way to do that is to make the man a lefty. That's what happened the first time I put Bullmoose Armstrong into an O.T. Katie cartoon. There was a double spanking panel and the other guy was a definite righty. And then, for the sake of continuity, I've made him a lefty ever since. Other than that... sometimes a picture gets reversed turning a righty into a lefty... or vice-versa... and, of course, if an artist was using his reflection in a mirror as his male model, then the handedness would be reversed.
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

As to the question about showing cartoon spankers as either right-handed or left-handed:

Over the years, I have gotten into the habit of drawing all my spankers as righties, but not based on any personal preferences.

I remember way, way back: the first time I drew a picture of a man spanking a woman, I decided to add some dialogue. And the way we do readin' and writin' in the USA is: left to right. Therefore, when the spanker wanted to say something like "You need a good spanking, Missy"... and then SHE replies, from her position across his lap "You wouldn't dare"... well, his dialogue should be on the left side of the pic, and her response has to be on the right. So that determines the positioning of the speech balloons. And that perforce makes the spanker a right-hander.

Now, I'm sure some of you will say, oh but Dan! If you wanted to reverse things to make a righty a lefty or make a lefty into a righty, just re-position the speech balloons! And sure enough, our "Overbarrel bro" Mr. Phil has done some mighty innovative things with speech balloons, making us follow them all over the page sometimes, so this is no major problem.

In short, I have no preference as to spanking hands. If my cartoons tend to show a spanker using his right hand, know that it is just a matter of habit.

Cheers,
Dan
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hugob00m wrote:And... there was a question about lefthanded spankers. Idon't know about other cartoonists, but usually for me, lefthandedness is usually either a matter of composition or continuity. There are times when the composition just works out better if I draw the woman in an O.T.K. position with her face to the left side of the panel and her kicking legs to the right. And of course, the easiest way to do that is to make the man a lefty. That's what happened the first time I put Bullmoose Armstrong into an O.T. Katie cartoon. There was a double spanking panel and the other guy was a definite righty. And then, for the sake of continuity, I've made him a lefty ever since. Other than that... sometimes a picture gets reversed turning a righty into a lefty... or vice-versa... and, of course, if an artist was using his reflection in a mirror as his male model, then the handedness would be reversed.
hi Boom,

interesting comments about the composition and continuity. it just seems to me that there are probably more spanking drawings showing the spanker as left handed than right handed and perhaps it just seems easier to many artists. in the case of Bullmoose, it sounds like you really had no choice and of course, that would mean he would forever be a left hander. since i am right handed, i prefer to see a right handed spanker in my toons and that's the way i show them. if your recall, when i have depicted 2 spankings at the same time, i have had the spankers facing each other, both spanking with their right hand. that also has the advantage of allowing us to see one spankee's bottom straight on and the facial expressions of the other. perhaps one of these days, i will do a double spanking with the spankers sitting side by side and the spankee's facing each other.
daneldorado wrote:Post by daneldorado » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm
As to the question about showing cartoon spankers as either right-handed or left-handed:

Over the years, I have gotten into the habit of drawing all my spankers as righties, but not based on any personal preferences.

I remember way, way back: the first time I drew a picture of a man spanking a woman, I decided to add some dialogue. And the way we do readin' and writin' in the USA is: left to right. Therefore, when the spanker wanted to say something like "You need a good spanking, Missy"... and then SHE replies, from her position across his lap "You wouldn't dare"... well, his dialogue should be on the left side of the pic, and her response has to be on the right. So that determines the positioning of the speech balloons. And that perforce makes the spanker a right-hander.
hi Dan,

i had noticed that all your spankers were right handed and i had just assumed that you did it that way because you preferred right handed spankers..........looks like i got that wrong :lol: . your thoughts about the speech balloons was interesting and have a certain logic to them. i think i did it the other way though. i started with the spanker being right handed and then figured out where to put the speech balloons later.
daneldorado wrote:Now, I'm sure some of you will say, oh but Dan! If you wanted to reverse things to make a righty a lefty or make a lefty into a righty, just re-position the speech balloons! And sure enough, our "Overbarrel bro" Mr. Phil has done some mighty innovative things with speech balloons, making us follow them all over the page sometimes, so this is no major problem.

In short, I have no preference as to spanking hands. If my cartoons tend to show a spanker using his right hand, know that it is just a matter of habit.

yeah, i have had some interesting placements for the speech balloons. there are a couple reasons for that. one, is just lack of planning. getting the camera too close and not allowing enough room. the other is that i have trouble limiting the number of words and often overcrowd the pics :lol: . i think i'm a bit OCD or something and feel a compulsion to include too many details. in either case, i have had to be creative about where i put the speech balloons :lol: . i thought it was interesting that you really have no preference as to which hand the spanker uses and this all seems to be mostly just a matter of how you got started. perhaps i am overthinking this whole business. it just seemed odd to me that there are so many left handed spanking drawings when most people are right handed. thank to both of you for your comments about this. phil
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

To each his own, but seeing that scrawny creature being spanked did nothing for me.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 01/22/2015

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:To each his own, but seeing that scrawny creature being spanked did nothing for me.
Understood, Willjohn. M/F spanking has several distinct possible currents, not all of which may be operational in a given set-up. I would suggest the most obvious are an erotic component (due to the domination/submission) aspect, satisfaction at seeing a brat get her comeuppance, and satisfaction at seeing justice done.

Now the erotic component is obviously strongest when the participants are young and sexy and when the spanking is not purely disciplinary. In this case, the spanker/spankee are middle-aged if not elderly and not very sexy, and the spanking is purely disciplinary, so we may take some satisfaction at seeing Vivian get the justice she deserves (that's how I feel about it :) ), but clearly the erotic value of this scene is about nil. So I'm guessing that for you, eroticism in the scene is paramount (and nothing wrong with that ;) ). Something like the Spirit/Ellen spanking or some of the romance comics spankings are more in that line. And I think that for many of us, the scenes that combine a brat's comeuppance with an erotic aspect are the best of all (Phantom/Queen Pera, Robert Horton/Susan Oliver in Wagon Train, etc.).

Or if the learned disquisition above is too long, we could just say that all things being equal, a sexy spankee is best! :lol:
-- Web-Ed