Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
daneldorado

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by daneldorado »

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I still don't have the slightest idea of the motive of the girls who volunteer to take swats at that Haufbrauhaus in Las Vegas.

I DL'd the first clip you showed us, with three different ladies taking one hard swat from a wicked paddle, then laughing as they hopped all around, trying to calm the pain in their derrieres. Today, of course, you showed us another one, but the quality was a bit lacking, plus the spanker was a female, so I didn't download it.

WHY do they do this? It all seems voluntary, all consensual. So I'm puzzled as to WHY.

Of course, I've been around long enough to know that ladies who are recognized as being "in the scene" love to take spankings, whether OTK or from a hard paddle or a cane. I've seen/known plenty of them, whether at Shadow Lane parties, or at those special spanking parlors that do business in places like L.A. or Vegas.

But at a beer bar, amongst vanilla folks? In public? And consensually? I don't get it.

As I said, I am probably a bit dense about this, but if the shoe were on the other foot, hey! I would NEVER volunteer to take a public swat! I don't know if their beer (or their "shot") is given to them for free, but even if it is, that heavy paddle is too much to pay for a free shot of whiskey. Tell me: WHY do these ladies volunteer to do this?

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Why Do Women Accept Bar Spankings?

Post by web-ed »

Yes, the video quality of "Candace At the Hofbrauhaus" was below that of "Three Girls, Three Swats" because it was filmed under low-light conditions, like most bar spankings. No, you and I would never volunteer to take a public swat, even if the shot were free (it isn't, by the way). Nonetheless, there is a reason why I've made such a big deal of these public spankings featuring (mostly) vanilla spankers and spankees, and it's not just that I'm crazy about paddling, although I admit it's my favorite form of spanking. This is a minority view among spankos, but among vanillas, paddling seems to be the most acceptable form of adult spanking (with the possible exception of OTK birthday spankings).

This gives me, as a dedicated, interested observer of human behavior, a priceless opportunity to study and learn. In particular, these situations offer valuable insight into female spankos and non-spanko players (those who participate in the spanking scene without being into it the way we spankos are). Let's consider Candace for a moment: if she isn't a true spanko, she did show a definite interest in getting spanked. I have observed this myself in real-life situations, and Dallas recounts how in his days instructing groups of women in surfing that when he threatened them (as a group) with spanking for any violations of the rules, there would always be one or two nervous laughs. Or consider Girl #1 in "Three Girls, Three Swats" - she was embarrassed by her swat, true, but she was excited also. This was why, to partially answer your question right in the middle of this larger discussion, they agreed to accept a public spanking. The other two girls, and probably most of the Hofbrauhaus spankees, seem to have less interest, but were not so opposed to the idea that they would resist the social expectations of that situation, and they went ahead and took their swats also. It's hard for most people to resist the expectations of their peers (although some of us can certainly do so), which is why almost everyone accepts bar spankings, fraternity/sorority paddlings, etc. even if they really don't want to participate.

What we see is that the level of spanking interest among vanillas varies from almost nonexistent to intense. Now imagine one of these "interested" females, not as a grown woman but at an earlier, more formative time, who is forced to take a spanking. Without going into the details here, you can probably see that something very much like this must be how a female "Bottom" is created.

Studying the waitresses when they give the swats also yields valuable insights. (I've even studied the reactions of the spectators and learned some things.) In my detailed, comprehensive theory, I distinguish between spankos who fantasized about spanking from an early age and scene players who came into spanking much later, and explain exactly how each of these figures into the various orientations (Top, Bottom, Switch) of both males and females. Of course, the theory is too long to be presented here, but eventually I'm going to present it, one chapter at a time, in the Articles Section.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Thanks for the theorizing, web-ed, but you didn't really answer my question.

What I get is that you are as mystified as I am, about WHY supposedly "vanilla" girls volunteer to submit to the wicked paddle -- and in front of a vanilla public, no less!

You mentioned that you will explain your thoughts, in detail, at a later date. Can't wait.

Cheers,
Dan
hugob00m

Re: Weekly Updates 02/25/2011

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:For links please visit the Home Page.
  • Last week under another topic, b00m requested a superior-quality scan of a Bill Wenzel cartoon in which a psychiatrist spanks his patient. This week, it's posted in the Humor Gallery, although with another caption (luckily, this was among those original Humorama digest pages I obtained and scanned not long ago).
Thanks for posting that in this weeks update! It's a lovely picture and the new version you found is a much better scan than the one I had. Bill Wenzel was a master at drawing attractive female backsides, and the better the resolution is, the better you can see how good his shading was.
web-ed
Site Admin

More on Why Women Accept Bar Spankings

Post by web-ed »

Dan - the short answer is that a few of these women find the thought of getting spanked exciting, while the remainder are responding to peer (and societal) pressure. The custom is that you get spanked, their friends expect them to get spanked, and so they take the swat even though it hurts and is embarrassing. This is an interesting illustration of how people will do things they really don't want to do if subjected to enough pressure from peers, authority figures, etc.
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Okay, I get it.

You don't know either.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 03/04/2011

Post by web-ed »

For updates please visit the Home Page.
  • Dan Rivera provides us with a better scan of a magazine spanking illustration.
  • Once Doctor Cylon is finished with this Julius Zimmerman nude, she's positively grateful for receiving the hairbrush in a piece we call "Thanks, Ron" - would you believe it?
  • Animated film characters series concludes with Snow White getting spanked by her rival the Queen - this has been seen in a couple of places before, but it's fun!
  • Humorama Series - Would you believe that a secretary might be spanked in the office? Since this is the 18th time that's happened here at CSR, you just might! This girl has an interesting defense when confronted about her bad punctuation - in fact this is one of the better gags (as humor) that I've seen in these cartoons. This is the first and so far the only "spanker" from an artist named Tosh.
  • Comic Strip Spankings features Texas Slim and what may be the earliest strip spanking we've seen so far. Slim spanks a girl for shooting at him - just cause, I'd say.
  • Golden Age Comics Spankings - very unusual item from MLJ's (Archie's) Shield-Wizard Comics: a man creates two living puppets (no strings attached) and has the male spank the female! Read all about it, and be edified by my discussion of The Shield and Captain America.
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

Wow what a week this was. I really enjoyed all of them. The secretary spanking was fantastic. Kim Possible thanking Ron for her spanking was great by Doc Cylon and that Golden Age Spanking was perhaps one of the best of the series (although like what was mentioned in another thread about the missed spanking in Sgt. Boyle i chose to believe there were some actual changes in what was being said ( I think he said "Now shall i continue to spank your bottom or are you ready to go? and her reply was "Sob"" yes") the colors and the proportions even the tear on her cheek was great. I had always thought that Grumpy would be the one to spank Snow white thereby changing his name to Happy and Happy became Grumpy because he did not get to spank the maiden. Have a great day.
Jim
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

I always look forward to your weekly updates. My favorite this time was that bizarre comic with the mind-controlled puppets. I'm curious what the rest of that story might've been about, but in that one picture, the OTK positioning was nice. Also, I liked the punctuation joke. :twisted: I might have to come up with a reversed version for Katie, since she seems to have a good more trouble being on time, but she probably gets her commas and periods in the right place. :geek: :geek:
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i just now discovered the weekly updates..........................LOL. i guess i'll get familiar with the whole site soon and i'll be looking forward to them from now on too. i particularly liked the pic of the secretary getting spanked. i like the position and i also like the way her dress is pulled up. i kinda wish the artist had shown more of her panties though.................i just love panties peeking out from underneath a raised dress :D i like the slightly surprised look on her face. he, on the other hand, looks like a hound dog looking in a butcher's window :lol: i have to agree with you that he might have more on his mind than punctuation...................LOL. thanks for posting all these. phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Puppet Spanking and Panties in Humorama

Post by web-ed »

b00m,

I emailed you the complete puppet story - it's a strange one, but none of us are likely to complain when we get a good spanking panel.

Phil,

Yes, I put a list of the weekly updates here so everyone can comment on them (which was Tanner's idea). It hadn't really occurred to me that with the updates on the Home Page, no one could comment (although I can do as many links there as I want since I code them myself - here, we're limited to 2 per post).

I too love to see panties exposed underneath a dress. Strangely, the Humorama artists seldom give this to us - Ward and Wenzel often use tight dresses (satin with Ward), Stiles typically gives us the slip (ouch!) and even there many times makes it look strange somehow, and only DeCarlo often draws a nice pair of panties. (Homer has two nice ones displaying panties that we'll see later this year). For Ward and Wenzel this was probably stylistic preference, while I think Stiles (older than the others?) developed his style before modern panties came into style, and all of them probably worried about "going too far" given the standards of the day. Abe Goodman at Humorama paid so little that I'm sure none of them could afford to have their stuff rejected because redrawing would have taken a lot of time. Stiles' work (which I really like in a lot of ways) probably suffers more from obvious haste than the others - there's one of his cartoons we'll see later this year where I can't figure out what the spankee's underwear is supposed to be! I'll probably touch on this point again when I get around to writing a comparative essay on the Humorama "Big Five".
Last edited by web-ed on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added two clarifying words to the first sentence.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Re: Puppet Spanking and Panties in Humorama

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:I emailed you the complete puppet story - it's strange, but none of us are likely to complain when we get a good spanking panel.
Thanks for sending that to me. It wasn't really a very good story, and the single spanking panel had nothing to do with any of the rest of it, but at least now my curiosity is satisfied. Oddly, the "puppets" were much better drawn than any of the human characters in the story!
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 3/11/2011

Post by web-ed »

For updates please visit the Home Page.
  • Updated Cheerleader Spanking Stories with some altered versions by a young artist named Pablo.
  • Julius Zimmerman's "Strip5" becomes the basis for a young woman to protest her spanking on the grounds that it isn't her birthday. Her bottom's just as red, though, once Doctor Cylon gets through with it...
  • An unusual daughter-spanks-mother drawing from Patron E. Hall, "Helping Mom Quit" (smoking, that is).
  • Humorama Series - the third consecutive week of secretary spanking and the second where bad punctuation is the theme, this time by "Bill Power". Who was Bill Power? I'm still not sure, but at least we can enjoy his one known spanking cartoon.
  • Comic Strip Spankings - Tillie the Toiler gets spanked by one of her boyfriends (the one she eventually marries), I think because he's unhappy about her other boyfriends...
  • Golden Age Comic Book Spankings - A very unsatisfying father/daughter scene from Young Romance #70, and a much better Hero/Queen scene from Jumbo Comics #17 to make up for it.
-- Web-Ed
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Another week of good ones. I really like Doc Cylon, the way he draws that shows the girl has really gotten her bottom well-heated.
Not much to say good about the True Romance one-except that the father got what he deserved. One thing to spank for bad behavior , another to accuse her daughter of being a whore merely because she has a boyfriend.
Agree with you that the Amazon spanking could have been more detailed, another panel would have helped. As for her costume, certainly different from those worn by the Wonder Woman Amazons, or the Hercules TV show. Could have stood to be more skimpy, so you know she felt the spanking.
daneldorado

Pablo and cheerleaders

Post by daneldorado »

Web-ed, on your main page you have posted some cheerleader cartoons by someone named "Pablo." Yeah, I know the toons were originally drawn by someone else, but what Pablo had to say has me thinking he's been reading my mind:

""I like spanking, but only adult Male/Female. I feel the spanking situations [are] like a lovemaking session, so I like very much the romantic spanking scenes, the OTK postion, and the [motivation] that led to it. I don't like the use of [implements]. I prefer skin to skin contact but in [real life] I have no [spanking] experience... I like cartoons but I prefer the more elaborate drawings."

Okay, that last part, about cartoons vs. "more elaborate drawings" is open for debate; but I absolutely agree with everything else this young lad said. Adult male/female spanking, a lovemaking session, the OTK position, the skin-to-skin contact...." Man! I would think Pablo and I were separated at birth, except that I'm older than he.

It's probably true that there are some spankos that approve of configurations other than M/F, or they might prefer a paddle, a belt, or a tawse. Truth be told, I never watch videos like that. M/F, OTK, and spankings by hand are the only "valid" situation, AFAIC.

Web-ed: If you let me know how to reply to comments on your Main Page, I would gladly do it that way. Otherwise, I'll have to do it here on the forum.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Pablo and the Cheerleaders

Post by web-ed »

Sounds like a new rock group: "Pablo and the Cheerleaders"! Anyway, Dan, I moved your remarks over here because I thought them germane to this topic.

I think there are a lot of guys (and gals) like you and Pablo who prefer M/F hand spanking in the OTK position to all other forms - probably a small(?) majority, in fact. And it's pretty hard to argue with, since we've agreed elsewhere that M/F is the most natural orientation and favored by a majority (more sizable, I'd guess) of both male and female spankos, and since the hand used OTK is the most common form of spanking we encounter as children. Obviously, something happened later on to those of us who favor other positions and implements, although it is significant that even most of us still like OTK even if it isn't our #1 favorite. To everyone's relief I'm sure, I won't expound any lengthy theories here, but it can't be coincidence that guys like Michael Masterson and myself who love wooden paddles encountered this implement in school, and similarly that across the pond our British brethren tend to favor the cane that they first became acquainted with during their own school days.

I hope we'll be hearing more from Pablo in the coming months, if I can overcome the language barrier (I don't speak or write Spanish).

As to commenting the home page, because CSR is not a blog, there is no way for anyone but myself to alter the pages, so comments should be made here on the "CSR Feedback" forum instead. "What's the difference between CSR and a blog?" I hear someone ask. Actually, I'm not familiar with the Content Management Systems used by Blogger and others, but presumably a scripting language like PHP is executed when you access the blog with your browser. The script must run on the host server, and possibly some information be retrieved from a data base. (I'm assuming that because Blogger has so many blogs, some or all of the blog is data base dependent). After the data base calls have been made, the script generates the necessary HTML code which can be understood by your browser. There's also some third-party material that has to be retrieved from who-knows-where.

In contrast, when you point your browser to CSR, it retrieves precisely the HTML code I wrote, plus the pictures, and that's all: no scripts to execute, no data base calls (except for this Bulletin Board and the Comics Spanking Data Base), no HTML to generate (because it's already there), and no third-party content because I don't allow it. Consequently, my (static) pages load much faster than a blog's pages, although as the gallery index pages grow in size they load more slowly because there are so many picture files.

Another advantage is that I have total control over the layout of each page, and over the structure and organization of the site as a whole. This means, for example, that if someone enters a particular page by way of a search engine, they can reach any other page on the site with no more than three mouse clicks! The index pages allow relatively quick and easy searches for visual material - compare that with trying to find one particular blog post from 2 or 3 years ago. Sometime I might add a search function to make things even easier, if it can be done easily (the CSDB is already searchable).

Sorry for blowing my own horn like this, but I'm fairly proud of having created CSR with the aid of only three technical books and no help from anybody. Of course, blogs have important advantages for the average person: they're free and don't require any HTML coding, which means anyone can blog without money or technical skills. In fact, I do have one thing in common with the typical blogger - no money - but basically, I need to do things my own way. Also, bloggers are subject to losing everything if the "blogging authority" decides to pull the plug on them, whereas I have a fully-functioning backup copy of CSR on my home computer no matter what happens on the host's server.
Last edited by web-ed on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change one word and add final sentence.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

As usual, I enjoyed your weekly update. The Humorama cartoons are usually my favorites, and this time, you featured a cartoonist I never heard of before. Bill Power, huh? Interesting cartoon, even though he's not as good as Decarlo or Wenzel. The exposed undergarment the lady's wearing could be a black lace girdle, the type worn by Catherine Spaak in The Libertine (sometimes referred to as La Matriarca)
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

i enjoyed the weekly updates. if i keep looking at them and reading all the comments that go along with them i may actually learn something about these and the people who draw them. i talk with dave wolfe on the messenger regularly and he is always commenting on artists. some are familiar to me and some aren't...............some i recognize their artwork and others not but i've always been impressed with dave's knowledge of such things and how he can recognize drawings by artists from as far back as the 1930s.

i like the cheerleader spankings and i'm pretty sure i have all these drawings saved in my computer somewhere. i enjoyed seeing them again :D . i was curious about the "tillie the toiler" toon. the spanker is obviously done in a "cartoon" style, for lack of a better word on my part, while the spankee seems to be more of a drawing of a normal person. i'm sorry i don't know the proper words for these but is it normal to mix these 2 types of characters in the same toon? i have to agree with your negative comments about the last one too. it may be interesting from a historical standpoint but the story sucks. thanks for posting all these. phil
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 03/11/2011

Post by web-ed »

I'm glad everyone liked this week's updates (for the most part - we're all agreed that Young Romances #70 wasn't any good).

"Bill Power" was of course a pseudonym, for whom I don't know. We have seen that other Humorama artists like Frank Beaven used them, while others used what we might term "partial aliases" to hide their identities (Homer, Herc). Even Dan DeCarlo used "DSD," which was fairly transparent once you realized that those were his initials (Donato Salvadore DeCarlo)! It's not like Humorama was doing actual pornography - even something as innocent as a simple bare bottom in a spanking cartoon was extremely rare - but these artists were doing work at other companies which might have viewed Humorama with disfavor. For instance, Beaven did cartoons for The New Yorker and The Saturday Evening Post, while DeCarlo of course worked at Archie, a relatively conservative family-owned business. You've probably already seen this, b00m, but a discussion of Beaven's artistic aliases my be found in Tuesday Birthday Spanking.

So "Bill Power," whoever he really was, apparently didn't want people to know he was doing a spanking cartoon for Humorama. Personally, if I had the ability to draw a good "spanker" I'd shout it to the world!

Phil raised an interesting question about mixing two different styles of character design in the same strip. We might call these two styles "realistic" (for Tillie) and "caricature" (for Clarence). It's true that in adventure strips, as in most comic books, the styles were not generally mixed, and in fact the realistic style was dominant. Think of Superman or Captain America, or Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates - these were all realistic in style, although of course Supes and Cap do things that are hardly realistic. On the other hand, humor strips have always been decidedly less realistic in style: Li'l Abner, Popeye, or more recently Dilbert. Abner though did mix adventure with comedy, and that may be one reason why Abner himself is drawn in a less-caricatured style than Mammy and Pappy Yokum. Daisy Mae isn't caricatured at all, because pretty girls have to be drawn in an (idealized) realistic style to make them sexy.
Li'l Abner Yokum.
Li'l Abner Yokum.
lilabner3.gif (12.33 KiB) Viewed 15851 times
Daisy Mae - pure pulchritude.
Daisy Mae - pure pulchritude.
daisymaebig.gif (17.02 KiB) Viewed 15851 times
Mammy Yokum, the head of the family.
Mammy Yokum, the head of the family.
mamyyokumbig.gif (17.82 KiB) Viewed 15851 times
Pappy Yokum.
Pappy Yokum.
pappyokumbig.gif (14.99 KiB) Viewed 15851 times
Fearless Fosdick, famous parody of Dick Tracy.  All characters copyright Capp Enterprises, Inc.
Fearless Fosdick, famous parody of Dick Tracy. All characters copyright Capp Enterprises, Inc.
fearlessnew2.gif (10.84 KiB) Viewed 15851 times
So at the risk of over-simplification, we might say that humor strips employ caricature while adventure strips are more realistic, and for sex appeal pretty girls will be drawn realistically but with somewhat idealized proportions. One obvious exception to this "rule" is that black characters are usually caricatured even in adventure strips in the 30's and 40's, although that may be because they are often used for comic relief. These questions are mostly unique to comics, but think just for a minute of The Munsters on TV - everyone was in heavy make-up (the dramatic equivalent of caricature or fantasy in drawing) except for cousin Marilyn, the pretty girl.
Last edited by web-ed on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Slight revisions and corrections.
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

it seems it is getting harder to login i just tried to login and after 1 attempt it said i had used my maximum attempts to log-in. I figured i would chip in with my knowledge of the strip Tillie the toiler. Mac was Tillie's co-worker, but was her fiancee for most of the strip. Mac was supposed to be caricture of the artist (MacManus) i believe and the spanking i thought was where they were already married as he calls her dear and there is something about the landlady saying something to the effect that Mac must be somehow justified in giving her a spanking. As for carictures in the same strip intermixed with realistic. i seemed to remember something about another of the strips during the time Fritzi Ritz and Phil Fumble come to mind and of course Jughead in Archie (the teachers as well seemed to be caritcures Miss Grundy, Miss Haggly, Miss Beasley, Professor Flutesnoot and Mr. Weatherbee) as opposed to Betty, Veronica, Archie, MIdge, Moose etc. who looked real. Anyway great finds and commentary as always web-ed. Thanks for the time to share all you post.
Jim