The Search for Comic Spankings - Where Do We Go From Here?

Spankings involving superheroes and superheroines, non-superhero comic-book stuff, comic strips, jungle girls, Lara Croft, Vampirella, Elvira, etc. Chross' board already has an excellent thread on this, but we love this subject so much we figure it deserves its own forum here anyway.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

The Search for Comic Spankings - Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by web-ed »

Now that the Great Golden Age Search is over, and the Search For The Holy Grail is well underway, where do we go from here? In order to answer that, I think we should consider the various types of comic book spankings, then with these types at hand look at the potentials of the various comics genres. We should also consider particular publishers. Finally, with all that in mind, we might be able to come up with a more efficient search plan than just reading every comics page ever published!

I've been unable to get the table-related BB codes to work, so instead of a nice table (like I made over in the SpankingPanels Forum) I'm going to have to present the types in list form.

The Different Types of Adult M/F Comic-Book Spankings
  1. Comeuppance - Spoiled brat (or selfish troublemaker) gets it from strong man. May or may not lead to later romance. Includes some father/daughter cases. Does not include cases where the spankee is actually evil (see “Pure Discipline”). Examples: Kayo Ward / Rupy Lavez, Batman / Marcia Monroe, Combat Casey / Torchy Finnegan.
  2. Gratuitous (writer must have a strong spanking interest) - Very rare, although it could pop up again in new books. Examples: Wonder Woman, The Paddler.
  3. Melee - This occurs in the middle of a free-for-all in which the spankee is usually allied with the bad guys, or is an accessory to their crimes. Uncommon – there may not be any undiscovered, and not likely to turn up today. Examples: Howard the Duck Treasury Edition, Bob & Swab.
  4. Pure discipline, i.e. “Let justice be done” - Given by the hero to a villainess who has done something to deserve punishment, usually a serious crime. At times may be used for comic relief. Could also be given to a younger woman to set her straight. Examples: Spirit / Diana the Huntress; The Saint / El Kara, Firebrand / Helga (really bad girls). Steve Roper / Mickey (young woman who may turn out all right once someone has set her straight).
  5. Romantic (includes romantic discipline) - Given where there is an ongoing relationship or at least a strong attraction between a man and woman. This is consensual or semi-consensual (retroactive consent). Examples: Spirit / Ellen, Kaanga / Ann, various romance comics.
  6. Sensual (clearly foreplay between lovers) - Would only appear in adult books, not in Gold or Silver Age comics. Examples: SPANK
  7. Unjustified - Often (but not always) this involves children and is therefore of no interest. Rarely an adult is the spankee – if male, the effect is comic; if female, somewhat disturbing. Examples: Young Romance #70 where the father tries to use the belt on his daughter.
  8. Weird - Strange, out-of-place, or just plain goofy scenes. Of little interest since usually not M/F. Examples: Squirrel spanks girl; goofy DC robot stuff, Batman spanks alien brats, etc.

In Part 2 we'll examine the various comics genres and their potential to hold spanking scenes.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Where Do We Go From Here? Part 2

Post by web-ed »

Comics Genres and Their Potential for Spankings
  • Adventure (non-war) - Would seem to have possibilities, but no known examples except from some strip reprints like Steve Roper.
  • Rating: Medium
  • Boys’ Adventure - Not enough girls in the stories! Examples: The Little Wise Guys, Newsboy Legion
  • Rating: Low
  • Classics – History - Obviously you only get a spanking with these if there was one in the original source (not many of those). Examples: The Classics Illustrated Line
  • Crime (not including super-heroes) - Lots of bad girls, but these were very moralistic tales, perhaps in an attempt to disarm critics like Fredric Wertham and others who disapproved of the genre. Punishments were normally more severe than spankings (imprisonment, execution). Examples: Crime Must Pay The Penalty, Crime Does Not Pay
  • Cross Media (Media Cross-overs) - Transplanted into comics from other popular media such as movies and TV. Examples: Rifleman, Dark Shadows, Star Wars
  • Funny Animal - There are numerous spankings in this genre, but they’re not particularly interesting since they don’t involve a woman as the spankee. Examples: Donald Duck
  • Horror (Suspense) - No known spankings. Wouldn’t fit in to plots designed to horrify or terrify the reader. I hate this genre anyway. Examples: The Vault of Horror
  • Humor (not including funny animal) - No spankings in MAD (when it was still a comic book). The biggest problem is that during the GA, M/M was considered more humorous than M/F. Examples: DC titles like Bob Hope & Jerry Lewis, the original MAD and its early imitators.
  • Jungle: Unlikely, but well worth having! The usual problem of the unlikelihood of a Jungle Girl getting spanked in her own book. Possible with male jungle leads, and spankings did occur with Tarzan and Kaanga.
  • Misc. - No way of knowing whether they had any spankings. Small share of the market. Examples: EC New Direction titles like Psychoanalysis
  • Monster - Basically the same problem as with the Horror titles – no way to work in a spanking. Examples: Man-Thing, Swamp-Thing, pre-superhero Marvel titles.
  • Pirate - Some wasted opportunities; also, this genre never got off the ground. Examples: ?
  • Romance - The actual “spanking density” was not high, but there were so many of these that the spankings mounted as time went on anyway. Examples: Young Love, Girls Romance
  • Rating: High
  • Science Fiction & Fantasy - No known M/F spankings. (Only one known is M/M). Examples: EC’s Weird Science
  • Smut - This is a mixed bag at best – some good spankings and a lot of bad ones. I really don’t have the stomach to look at too much of this stuff. Examples: Eric Stanton, Eros Line of Comix
  • Superhero - Wonderful, when you can find them! Almost certainly still some unknown GA M/F out there; SA less likely, and modern always possible. Examples: Batman, Hellcat
  • Teen Humor - Probably more potential than any other genre except romance, especially early on. Archie still had spankings fairly late in the game. Examples: Archie, Candy, etc.
  • War - Only two known, and although they are both excellent, the potential of this genre is limited because so many of the stories are based around all-male combat scenes. Examples: Star-Spangled War Stories, Combat Casey
  • Western -Only one known M/F spanking, but it’s a good one! Lots of wasted potential with many bad girls on the prairie, and I have to believe there’s at least one more out there somewhere. Many titles with few reasons to prefer one to another. Examples: The Two-Gun Kid
The only genres with ratings higher than “Low” are Adventure, Romance, Smut, Superhero, and Teen Humor. Admittedly, these ratings are my evaluations only and are certainly debatable. Still, they’re all we’ve got at the moment, and in Part 3, we’ll examine each of these genres in turn.
Last edited by web-ed on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add example to "adventure" genre.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Where Do We Go From Here? Part 3

Post by web-ed »

The Potential of the Various Comic Book Genres

For the sake of clarity, if the word “spanking” is used without qualification, it means M/F spanking. The sad fact is there was probably more M/M than anything else during the Golden Age, but M/F is what most of us are interested in and it’s tiresome to continually have to use the qualifier “M/F”.

One more preliminary: I’ve never defined the various comic book “ages” in this forum, so to make sure we’re all on the same page, here are my definitions. While many scholars would disagree and there is certainly room for debate on the issue, it properly belongs on a general-interest comics board rather than here on CSR, where I propose to settle the matter with these definitions:
  • Golden Age (1936 – 1956)
  • Silver Age (1956 – 1970)
  • Bronze Age (1970 - 1985)
  • Modern Age (1985 – Present)
Adventure: There were lots of adventure strips, but it’s hard to think of adventure books that didn’t really belong to some other genre like War or Superhero. Still, I gave it a rating of “medium” on the assumption that there were some titles out there I just wasn’t thinking of.

Boys Adventure: As I wrote above, “not enough girls!” This one we can safely ignore.

Classics – History: If you remember Classics Illustrated, then you know what we’re talking about here – condensed versions of the classics transferred to the comics medium. Very little of interest because great works of literature don’t generally feature a lot of M/F spanking. Tom Sawyer and Tom Brown getting caned don’t do us much good.

Crime (not including super-heroes): these stories were careful always to show the criminal, whether male or female, coming to a bad end. This was usually imprisonment or, in the pre-code days, a few guys were actually seen getting strapped into the electric chair. Next to that, I suppose spanking would have seemed tame. No point in searching through any more of these. [05/09/2011 update: one spanking has now been found, in Crime and Justice #1, but my assessment of this genre remains the same, and we're not likely to find any more.]

Cross Media (Media Crossovers): the problem is similar to that in “Classics” – if the original didn’t have a spanking, the comic-book version won’t either. Forget these.

Funny Animal: we need human female spankees, not Donald Duck’s nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie!

Horror (Suspense): I’ve always detested this genre, and think criticism of it is futile – such a distorted, nightmarish view of reality requires a psychoanalyst, not an art critic. Whether you agree with my assessment of Horror or not, the fact is no spankings have ever been discovered there, or are likely to be in the future because the focus has to be on manipulating the readers’ emotions. There’s simply no way to work in a spanking where the plot centers on some rotting corpse wandering around at night.

Humor (not including funny animal): During the Golden Age, M/M spanking seemed to be considered humorous, mainly used for comic relief in adventure stories. Unfortunately, M/F didn’t seem to figure in to the comedic sensibilities of that era (except for Teen Humor, which is regarded as a separate category). MAD was a milestone in American humor, but during its early days as a four-color comic it never had any spankings, nor did its many imitators until later when it had become a black and white magazine. The ones from MAD have probably all been discovered by now; none are known from Cracked or Crazy, but I remember seeing one in Sick, which would be worth a further look. Magazine stuff falls outside the boundaries of a comic-book search anyway.

Jungle: Most of us would like nothing better than to see a Jungle Girl get spanked! :) But this is extremely unlikely where she's the lead character. The jungle spankings we have are where a male is the lead character - Tarzan and Kaanga.
Still, I'm going to search every jungle comic I can find because the potential reward is so great.

Misc.: anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories. When you stop to think about it, these were never very common and are not a likely source of spankings.

Monster: artistically (in the literary sense) far superior to Horror, we still have the same problem we did there: Swamp-Thing, Man-Thing, and Tomb of Dracula were all fine comics, but there’s no way you could fit a spanking into any of them.

Pirate: fans of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons Watchmen may remember that there was an interior plot with a boy reading a Pirate comic at a newsstand. Moore’s conceit was that Pirate comics had replaced superhero in the early 1940’s and hung around after that. There were a few strips set on the high seas, and I came across several pirate queens who certainly deserved the OTK treatment, but there aren’t any spankings except maybe that one from Hawk. I’m not sure this qualifies as a genre, but even if it does, it really isn’t worth searching through any further.

Science Fiction & Fantasy: some excellent comics came out of this genre, particularly from EC’s New Trend books. But with only one known spanking, and M/M at that, there isn’t likely to be anything left undiscovered. Certainly EC’s SF line is so well known (I have many of their reprints) that there can’t be anything there.

Smut: This genre, sometimes called “comix” to distinguish it from non-smut, began in the 1960’s with the Undergrounds and then flourished later on with some independent publishers, most notably the Fantagraphics Eros line. “Mainstream” smut has always had a few spankings, for instance the scene in the movie Debbie Does Dallas. But is it worth sifting through all this trash just to find a few panels by people who for the most part couldn’t care less about good spanking? There are a few exceptions, for instance Brian Tarsis did a little work in this area, and he’s definitely a spanko with significant artistic chops. We’ve also seen at least two good spankings by Rebecca, and the legendary Robert Crumb, whose work we’ve never liked despite his obvious talent, certainly did a few. Reluctantly, we have to admit there could be more here.

War: Commercial comics may have reached their zenith with EC’s war books. However, I have reprints of many of them, and there aren’t any spankings. Marvel and DC had some good work in this genre also, but the focus on scenes of men in combat necessarily limits the possibilities for M/F spanking. On the other hand, the two known spankings, one from Marvel and the other from DC, are both so good that perhaps my rating for this genre of “Low” should be reconsidered. On the other hand, I waded through tons of these books during The Great Golden Age Spanking Search, and I didn’t find one spanking! (The two referred to above were located by different means). If I had to guess, I’d say there was probably one more spanking scene somewhere, but where?

Romance:
I’ve mentioned repeatedly in other posts that it was unlikely for a female protagonist (super or not) to get spanked in her own book. Wonder Woman did, Black Widow and Hellcat almost (BW’s name had just been removed from the Daredevil book at the time of her spanking, and HC’s took place in Defenders). Brenda Starr did, if we expand the discussion momentarily to include strips as well as books. But by and large, simple comic-book plots don’t generally lend themselves to the heroine getting spanked. The one big exception is Romance comics, and even there only in one or two sub-categories.

Romance comics strongly encourage their readers to identify with the female protagonist, and tend to fall into a few familiar formulas. Off the top of my head:

1. Girl can’t get Boy to notice her.
2. Girl can’t decide between two boys.
3. Girl and Boy want each other but are kept apart by malign forces (parents, etc.).
4. Girl loves Boy, but has a rival (usually unscrupulous) for his affections.
5. Girl loves Boy (who may be wrong for her), engages in petty, childish behavior, gets taught a lesson (sometimes spanked, sometimes not) and emerges the better for it. Does not always get Boy, but may get another guy instead.

#5 is of course the type where most spankings occur (there have also been many missed opportunities when a spanking should have been administered but wasn’t). #4 is possible also, although there it’s probably the romantic rival who would get spanked (similar to the Hedy Wolfe spankings in Patsy Walker).

Since only one or two plot-types have the potential to lead to a spanking scene, it’s not surprising that the “spanking density” isn’t really all that high in Romance comics. I make this statement based on experience since firm numbers are not available, even from the Comics Spanking Data Base. But the spanking-potential was always there, and with the vast quantity of Romance comics published during the Gold and Silver Ages, the total number of spankings was bound to be impressive. A number of these are surely waiting to be discovered.

Teen Humor: I was surprised at how many of these I found. Betty and Veronica from the Archie gang, Suzie (also from Archie), Beezy, Candy, and Kiki Kelly in Quality, etc. It was a little disturbing to see how many times Archie and Jughead got spanked by their fathers back in the 40’s, and Archie also got paddled as part of an initiation, but never mind that now – the important point is that teen-age spankings were seen as humorous (especially during the Golden Age), and so there must be some more out there, even confining ourselves to M/F, which we should. (F/F was extremely rare during the GA).

Superhero: Those of us spankos who grew up during the Silver Age heavily involved with comics generally have a great love for superhero spankings. This is unsurprising when we remember that the superheroes rose from their postwar obscurity to take over the medium in the 1960’s, while other genres like Romance and Horror, hampered by Comics Code restrictions, went into decline. To see a superhero giving a spanking is a great joy, only surpassed by seeing a superheroine receiving one! :D

At this point, however, it is unlikely that many remain undiscovered among the Silver Age books, although I feel they are still worth looking for because they are so desirable! With diligent and perhaps carefully targeted searching, we might locate one or two. The Golden Age is another matter – I’d bet money that there are several undiscovered spankings, and they deserve to be sought out.

Also, we shouldn’t forget about the Bronze and Modern Ages, either – strange as it may seem, there have been a lot of spankings during this period, and there are probably more just waiting to be found. I stopped actively collecting around 1996 after several years of declining interest, so I don’t know the most recent portion of the Modern Age very well.

In Part 4, we’ll try to put all this together into some kind of practical and effective search strategy.
Last edited by web-ed on Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add Jungle category.
-- Web-Ed
Dave Wolfe

Re: The Search for Comic Spankings - Where Do We Go From Her

Post by Dave Wolfe »

Oh, weird ya want, huh?

How about Tom the Cat birthday-spanking his girlfriend after she gave him a night full of grief? :-D Her post-paddling reaction is the stuff of spankophile fantasy!!

Found at this blog: http://stanleystories.blogspot.com/2010 ... r-hot.html

And I love blogger Frank's remark about "sharing the pervy goodness!!"
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Tom Cat Spanks Girlfriend

Post by web-ed »

Our Gang Comics must have been unavailable when I went through Dell's line during The Great Golden Age Search, because at least until near the end I did go through a lot of funny animal stuff and I don't remember seeing this one. John Stanley was a real talent in the world of comics, although I've always thought of him in connection with Little Lulu (which of course had a lot of spankings) and didn't know he had done Tom and Jerry.

In any case, this was a well-done scene, so thanks for bringing it to our attention, Dave! I'll log it into the CSDB later today. The only problem with the "Weird" and "Funny Animal" category spankings is that their erotic component is low to nonexistent - Funny Animal because the characters, though anthropomorphic, are not human, and Weird because they're weird! The contrast between a spanking from these categories and something like Val/Aleta in Prince Valiant could not be greater.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Re: Tom Cat spanks girlfriend

Post by hugob00m »

Dave Wolfe wrote:Oh, weird ya want, huh?

How about Tom the Cat birthday-spanking his girlfriend after she gave him a night full of grief? :-D Her post-paddling reaction is the stuff of spankophile fantasy!
I can't help thinking how much better that story would've been if it had been drawn by Dan Decarlo featuring some of the Archie characters! Archie in Tom's place, Veronica as the demanding girlfriend, and Regie as the rival boyfriend! And, while I'm thinking of it... maybe a little epilogue could be added: After learning that Veronica just got a birthday spanking, Betty could tell Archie flirtatously, "My birthday is next month!" :roll:
web-ed
Site Admin

Where Do We Go From Here? Part 4

Post by web-ed »

We need an effective search strategy - where and how to look for more comic-book spankings. “Where” means which publishers and titles; “how” means do we try to get the original book or else use some alternative? Each of the different eras present its own set of problems, so that’s how I’ll break this down.

One further point: most of this discussion assumes that we’re going to follow the old advice of fishing where the fish most likely are, but that we don’t know exact titles and issue numbers ahead of time. In some cases, we do have this knowledge – “The Seven Spankings” that Overstreet had identified back in the late 70’s were an example – and in such cases, we obviously would try to secure the original book or a known reprint. The Overstreet guide isn’t likely to be of much help today, but catalogue descriptions are, and in fact I have secured several comics (principally Charlton romance) with spanking panels for my personal collection using this method.

Golden Age (GA) (1936 – 1956)

This period almost certainly contains more undiscovered spankings than any other, but the scarcity of these books (especially pre-war) presents us with a big problem: we can’t possibly find (or afford) copies of all the ones that escaped the Great Golden Age Search (GGAS). In fact, right now it’s hard even to know exactly what was eliminated during the GGAS, because I don’t have the information in a convenient form, raising the possibility of wasting valuable time searching through books that have already been eliminated. Thirty years ago, I bought a couple of GA books that I thought were promising. Neither one contained a spanking, and that experience pretty much cured me of trying to find GA spankings that way.

Working against us is the scarcity (mentioned above) and the consequent value of GA books. People collect comics for different reasons, and those who see valuable GA books as an investment vehicle are not particularly likely to look through them to find spankings, nor are they going to be inclined to risk damaging their investment by subjecting a book to the strain of being scanned. Other collectors enjoy sharing their collections with others, and have provided most of the extant scans (discussed further below). GA collectors who are also spankos or at least serious about GGA (Good Girl Art) have the potential to unearth sensational finds, but there can’t be too many such people (the only ones we know about are at SpankingPanels.com), nor can they possibly own every spanking book, much as they’d like to! Finally, there are a few people who put spanking panels on the web even though they may not be spankos themselves. Their motivations may differ, but they’re definitely out there.

Of course, digital scans now exist of many GA books, and these were what I used for the GGAS. But this is not a very efficient method, on top of which is the fact that the vast bulk of the available scans have now been checked (320,000 pages worth!). Furthermore, you can’t publish your GA scans on the internet unless the book is in the public domain (PD) without running the risk of infringing on someone’s copyright. This is one major reason more scans are not available.

So what can we do? I’ll suggest this multi-pronged approach:

1. Wait for spanko GA collectors to share their finds. This is too passive (for me) to rely on exclusively, but it’s a fair bet that SpankingPanels will surely be revealing some nice copies of hitherto-unsuspected spankings as time goes on.
2. As new scans become available, check every issue from these genres: Jungle, Superhero, Teen Humor, and Romance. These are the ones with the most potential (honestly, there probably aren’t any more spankings in Jungle, but if a Jungle Girl actually were to be spanked, the payoff would be so great that I can’t resist including the genre here). Also, the following publishers merit special scrutiny: Archie (MLJ), which had a very high spanking density (with PEP and Suzie as titles of special interest), Quality, and Star (Ripley points out that Star’s line was all-reprint after 1946, which means we should also look for the original sources, whatever they were). Strangely, Harvey’s Green Hornet of all things also had a high spanking density, even with the lead feature (Green Hornet himself) missing because it’s not in the PD.
3. Continue to run internet searches, either through the major search engines or with a custom program. I’ve found many spanking panels this way. The only problem is that sometimes it’s impossible to identify the web site they came from, or worse, the comic they came from! I’ve got two good spanking panels in my files right now I’ve been trying to identify for more than a year.
4. Collect the physical books from the publishers mentioned in #2. I don’t think this is too practical for most of us, but I’ll throw it out there anyway.

I personally will be employing methods (2) and (3). One obvious publisher I left out of (2) was Fawcett – I think almost all of the Marvel Family books were included in the GGAS, and balanced against the possibility of a M/F panel is the all-too-real chance of yet another Captain Marvel M/M spanking scene. I’ve discovered more than enough of those to last a lifetime!

Next time we’ll move on to the Silver Age.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Where Do We Go From Here? Part 5

Post by web-ed »

Part 5: Silver Age (1956 – 1970)

A number of factors make this period different from the GA. For one thing, there are fewer spankings out there to be found. For another, I don’t think any of this material is yet in the public domain, which means there aren’t going to be tens of thousands of pages available in the form of digital scans. On the plus side, sort of, is the fact there are far fewer titles and issues to search through because so many publishers went out of business by the end of the GA. Also, these books are less valuable, making spanking issues easier to obtain once they become known or even suspected (I obtained two this past year for 99 cents apiece!) and owners more likely to be willing to subject them to the risks of scanning.

Genres: Teen Humor, Romance, and Superhero continued from the GA and hold the most promise in my opinion. One excellent spanking is known in a SA war book, DC’s Our Army at War, but I still have to rate the potential of this genre as “low”. Let’s consider each genre in turn and come up with separate search strategies if we can.

Teen Humor was represented by the numerous books in the Archie line and a few from Marvel and DC. Several spankings have been documented from Archie so even though at least some of these are from the Bronze Age, there may be more from the SA that no one knows about yet, and I would not be at all surprised to find several from Marvel as well (in fact, I have an unidentified scene in the files that looks like it came from a SA Marvel title). Anything featuring Patsy Walker, who had been around since the 1940’s and was still going strong in the 60’s, is a possibility – especially her rival Hedy Wolfe being spanked by Mr. Wolfe, which my research this year shows she richly deserved (and which of course occurred at least twice during the GA). I’d probably fall out of my chair if I found a spanking panel in a DC book like Swing with Scooter, but still, you never know.

[06/27/2011 Update: After I had written this, I located the source for a known spanking panel that had been around the web. Sure enough, it was from a DC teen humor book, namely Date with Debbie #3.]

I don’t believe there is a lot of interest among collectors in Teen Humor books, with the possible exception of the Archie line. This is a problem because inside information from collectors is probably the only way we’re going to find out about any spanking scenes. As proof of this claim, I can point to the fact that the only breakthrough any of us has seen during the past few years in this area occurred when Robin sent me a small collection of Archie titles that contained several spankings and near-spankings. Prior to that, all we had were one scene each of Betty and Veronica, and one partial panel in which Veronica is crying “Wah!” together with the recollections of some of CSR’s readers.

Teen Humor Search Strategy:
1. Obtain low-cost back issues, preferably in bulk. I’ve made a start of this myself with the Patsy Walker books but can’t go further because of the poor economy. This isn’t a good strategy, but unless the companies were to offer low cost digital reprints, it’s probably the only feasible approach at the present time.

Romance lost readers during the 60’s and 70’s as Comics Code restrictions prevented sexual matters from being portrayed or even mentioned, making the stories less relevant with each passing year. Nonetheless, a number of good spanking scenes have been found in romance books, notably Charlton, even into the 70’s. Charlton had twelve (bi-monthly) romance titles as late as 1973, which translates to over 200 stories per year! DC had picked up a couple of romance titles from Crestwood in the early 60’s to add to the rest of their line, which must therefore have consisted of at least five books during most of this period – yet they remain largely unexplored for spankings as far as I know. Marvel had a ton of romance books during the GA, at least some of which survived into the SA, even discounting the titles with Patsy Walker or Millie the Model that were really teen humor with romantic overtones. As is the case with DC, these are mostly unexplored.

Romance Search Strategy:
1. Without scans and with few reprints available, I can only suggest slowly obtaining inexpensive books as they turn up. As noted in regard to Teen Humor above, this is not a very efficient approach – I have yet to find any spankings using it except where I already had good grounds for suspicion – but I can’t think of anything else, unless there are some serious SA Romance collectors out there who are also spankos and are willing to share their knowledge with us.

Superhero books were nearly dead at the end of the GA – Marvel had none and DC was down to its big guns like Superman and Batman. And then came Showcase #4, featuring the first appearance of the new Flash, and bang! – the Silver Age had begun, and with it came a superhero revival. Marvel climbed aboard the bandwagon with Fantastic Four in 1961, and by the end of the period (1970) had almost caught up with DC in sales. Even Charlton had a few superheroes during this time.

Charlton’s superheroes are largely unexplored territory for me. The Peacemaker and a few others that had become DC’s property were reconfigured into the heroes of Watchmen in 1986. Spankings? It’s possible – and that’s about all that can be said. Marvel’s superhero titles have been extensively reprinted and are so well known that it seems very unlikely there are any spankings contained in them, unless you count the scene in Fantastic Four #38 (by the way, I’d be willing to reconsider my judgment on this one if I could see Kirby’s notes on the original art). I can state categorically there were none in the first 100 issues of Spider-Man, which I’ve practically got memorized. They simply would not have fit into Stan Lee’s idea of what a good superhero story should be. The first Marvel superhero spankings we have documented, Bev Switzler and Black Widow, are post-SA and, it should be noted, took place after Lee became publisher and had left the editorship.

That brings us to DC. To say that I’ve written extensively about DC superhero spankings during the SA would be an understatement, and numerous examples have already been documented in the CSDB and posted on CSR. As this is being written, I’m systematically checking Supergirl’s 200 SA appearances for any possible spankings. This Search for the Holy Grail (Superman/Supergirl) has so far turned up only one new scene – Bizarro Lois attempting to spank Bizarro Jr. – and as with the Knights of old, I expect my search ultimately to be in vain. And yet, there could still be something out there – in Lois Lane perhaps, or one of the Batman titles, or even (God help us) in Jimmy Olsen, the worst of the Superman Family books.

Superhero search strategy:
1. Forget about Marvel.
2. Forget about Charlton, unless a serious and knowledgeable Charlton resource becomes available.
3. Complete the Holy Grail search.
4. Obtain reprints or other cheap copies of SA DC titles from the early years particularly. I know this is feasible with Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen, and I’m going to search the first 50 issues of each.
5. If there are some more DC SA collectors out there, I’ll consider creating a data base to document and otherwise aid in a more extensive cooperative search effort. I have a significant but far from comprehensive collection of DC SA books that could serve as a starting point, since anything in it not already posted can be eliminated (e.g. long runs of Action, Adventure, Doom Patrol and a few others).
Last edited by web-ed on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add updated information.
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Where Do We Go From Here? Part 6

Post by web-ed »

Part 6: Bronze Age (1970 - 1985)

The continued and increasing dominance of the superhero genre while overall sales declined are the most significant features of this period. Marvel superhero titles flourished, and while DC experienced two severe bumps in the road, one near the beginning of the period and the 2nd in 1978 (“the DC Implosion”), they were buoyed up toward the end by Dark Knight and other titles, and finished up in decent financial condition. Romance comics, which had once glutted the newsstands, declined and finally went extinct except for rare and transient items like Renegade Romance. Similarly, War comics got off the ground during the Korean War but had a hard time after Vietnam. On the Teen Humor front, Archie finally emerged triumphant as pretty much the only game in town after three decades in competition with his imitators. Finally, Alternative comics, which began showing up around 1980, require some consideration.

Despite these changes, I feel the genres with the most spanking potential are the same three as during the SA: Teen Humor, Romance, and Superhero.

Teen Humor, mostly represented by Archie with a few titles from DC, might be thought less likely to hold spankings than it would have been during the GA or even the SA, but the recent finds (referred to in the SA discussion above) all came from early during this period! Similarly, we have several examples of early-70’s Romance comic spanking, so it’s worth looking for more. Superhero poses the most problems for us, despite its dominance.

To begin with, we can say with certainty that superhero spankings were still taking place at this late date. I was actively buying and collecting during the BA, and I picked up a number of spanking issues off the racks, including the Howard the Duck Treasury Edition, Super-Team Family #5 (reprints Batman/Marcia Monroe), Defenders #70 (Hellcat’s caning), and Daredevil #120 (the infamous Black Widow Butt Slap). Marvel had more superhero spankings during the BA than during the SA that preceded it, and in fact had more spankings than DC during this time! This is an astonishing turnabout given the vast quantity of spankings in DC’s books during the GA and SA. Once I got to thinking about it, I realized it would take more space to go into than I have here, so I’ve created a separate post on the subject.

My personal experience, related above, suggests that there probably isn’t much left to find among the superheroes. It’s not like during the SA when relatively few spankos still surviving today would have been actively collecting – there must be a lot of us baby boomer-spankos who would at least remember any spanking comics if we didn’t actually still have them. Maybe, just maybe, DC could have had something in the early years after Mort Weisinger retired as editor of the Superman Family titles, say 1970 – 72, that I and others missed because of the spotty distribution that comics had at the time. Similarly, there could be a Marvel superhero spanking from those years, when Roy Thomas (who did that 2nd abortive Ben/Sue spanking in Fantastic Four) took over from Stan Lee as Editor-In-Chief and Marvel continued to expand, and that all of us just happened to miss – but I doubt it.

As for Alternative comics, they were just getting off the ground as the period came to a close. My impression, and I admit I could be misremembering something after 25 years, is that they really didn’t get going until later, during the Modern Age.

Teen Humor and Romance Search Strategy:
1. As with the SA, obtain low-cost back issues, with emphasis on the early years (1970 – 75) when Teen books would have been more likely to have spankings and Romance books were still around.

Superhero Search Strategy:
1. Check the early years – back issues are affordable – or talk to collectors. Maybe somebody knows something, especially if we jar a few memories. I myself had forgotten about Hellcat’s caning in The Defenders until seeing the Black Widow Butt Slap on a non-spanking site reminded me that I had both issues in my personal collection! :oops:
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Where Do We Go From Here? Part 7

Post by web-ed »

Part 7: Modern Age (1985 – Present)

This is the longest period as well as the most recent. War had faded away, leaving Superheroes to soldier on, but the Romance was gone and Teen Humor was reduced to the Archie line. No spankings are known in MA Archie books, and I’d be surprised if there were any because of two factors: (1) the decreasing acceptance in American society of spanking as a means of discipline, especially for teen-agers, and (2) the rising awareness of an erotic dimension to M/F spanking. Sex, especially any hint of kinky sex, would have been avoided like the plague over at Archie. Similarly, mainstream superheroes have yielded no known spankings up to this time. (As a reminder, “spanking” in these articles refers to M/F only). Alternative comics attracted more attention and provided some spankings, and Smut really took off, represented at its best by the Fantagraphics Eros line. All this suggests our most promising genres this time are Superhero, Alternative (which technically isn’t really a genre), and Smut.

Superhero made the cut because of its continuing dominance (more books) and because I stopped following them around 1996 (Marvel had become boring and DC was wallowing in evil), which means there is a 15-year period where they could have had a spanking right on a front cover and I wouldn’t have known about it. I don’t think there is anything from the first ten years (1985 – 1995), however, if we limit our discussion to M/F scenes in mainstream books. Some X/M scenes are known, as are some M/F from alternative superhero (to be considered below).

Superhero Search Strategy: My guess is that just as during the BA, Marvel presents more possibilities than DC (for the reason why, see the separate post on “What Happened to DC Spanking During the Bronze Age?”), but they had too many titles to search through by using back issues. Our best hope is that some of the younger spanko comics fans among us will have caught and saved any spanking issues, and either have put them out on the web or will do so in the future. One of my routine internet searches may turn them up, or if these spanko fans are reading this, they can save some time by emailing them directly to CSR!

Alternative is not a genre, properly speaking, but it’s easier to consider that way. It featured everything from teen-age superheroes to autobiographical humor (Joe Matt’s Peep Show) to urban naturalism (Harvey Pekar’s American Splendor and, perhaps, Love and Rockets) to post-modern surrealism (Dan Clowes’ Eightball). I got tired of it about the same time I gave up on Marvel and DC, believing that despite being freed of genre conventions its artistic achievements were too small to warrant further interest on my part. However, since it did provide us with several spankings, it makes sense to look for more.

Alternative Search Strategy: This is tough, because I can’t be sure I didn’t miss something during the early years, and after 1996 I wasn’t even looking any more. Back issues, when available, are cheap – perhaps the only factor in our favor. As with the Superhero stuff, maybe some younger spanko comic fans will be aware of these and scan them.

Smut titles sold better than typical mainstream books, and I remember seeing the Eros line distributed in adult book stores (where I was hunting for spanking stuff) – a place you’d never find regular comics! There have been M/F spankings in these books (The Paddler, SPANK) but nothing you could describe as good. F/F seems to have been better-done for some reason (e.g., the work of Rebecca), but that doesn’t mean we should give up on finding good M/F scenes. There were also some spankings in Penthouse comics (e.g. Katarina), so there could be more there.

Smut Search Strategy: I personally don’t have the stomach to go through all these books looking for spankings the way I’ve done with GA and SA books – I loathe non-spanking porn – though maybe someone else would be able to. Since some have been posted on the internet by persons unknown, further internet searches may prove fruitful.

And that pretty much winds it up. If anyone has any other ideas to offer, I’d love to hear them. Until next time, happy hunting! ;)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

What Happened to DC Spanking During the Bronze Age?

Post by web-ed »

What Happened to DC Spanking During the Bronze Age?
[Note: a revised, extended, and (I hope) improved version of this article with additional pictures has been posted on the main site - Web-Ed]

Basically, there was an undercurrent of darkness pervading DC’s superhero books, increasing throughout the BA, that militated against anything as seemingly pedestrian as spanking. At its mildest, this took the form of “social relevance” – well-intentioned Left-Liberal flapdoodle like the Green Lantern/Green Arrow of Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams,
For those unfamiliar with these GL/GA stories (probably most of my readers today), I’m thinking of all that wailing in one issue about our “plastic” society, which was puerile as social criticism and anyway ground The Graduate had already covered years earlier, or that old black guy complaining to GL in another, “I hear you work for the blue skins, and on some planet you saved the orange skins, and you done considerable for the purple skins, but you never did squat for the black skins” which causes me to burst out laughing whenever I think of it. O’Neil’s heart was in the right place, but what exactly was it that he (and the old black guy) thought that a long-underwear hero like GL should do? Join a protest march? Overthrow the government? Presumably black people benefited as much as whites when GL extinguished a blazing fire, or put a criminal behind bars, or did whatever could be done through means of brute force - the only tool available to a superhero, when you come to think of it.
Green Arrow wastes his time and ours by moaning about plastic Christmas trees, instead of kicking ass like a superhero should!  Copyright DC Comics Inc.
Green Arrow wastes his time and ours by moaning about plastic Christmas trees, instead of kicking ass like a superhero should! Copyright DC Comics Inc.
green_lantern_green_arrow_no_84_moan.jpg (111.02 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
My point isn’t that spankings could not have been fit into plots that revolved around these two heroes riding across America in a pickup truck to “find themselves”, or whatever the hell they thought they were doing, it’s that a mind so unaware of the pomposity and unintentional hilarity of these stories could not have possessed the sense of humor or erotic adventurousness needed to conceive of adult disciplinary or romantic spanking. Contrast this to Steve Gerber’s acute sense of the absurd, and you’ll see why Gerber (who wrote Howard the Duck) and Marvel wound up with more spankings than DC.

At its most extreme – Crisis on Infinite Earths, Dark Knight, and Watchmen (which could be considered BA as it was conceived of in 1985) – this darkness was less an undercurrent than a raison d’etre. Although far more ambitious than anything Marvel was doing and commercially very successful, I wouldn’t call any of these series an artistic success, but I would say the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons Watchmen was probably the most interesting and worthy failure the comics medium had ever produced, at least up to that time and probably to the present day. With the deaths of Supergirl, Flash, and others, Crisis revisited and indeed amplified DC’s disturbing SA tendency toward a kind of morbid sadism (think of all the deaths that occurred in their “imaginary stories” – even Superman himself in 1961). Frank Miller's Dark Knight lived up (or down) to its name, and obliterated every last trace of Romantic heroism in Batman. It’s not that Batman could or should be played as Little Mary Sunshine, but alongside the grim crusader’s need to avenge the murder of his parents there had to be a noble purpose – making the world a little better – to give his stories, and his life, meaning. Batman had this in the 60’s and even in the grittier 70’s, which is why the 1966 Batman could spank a reckless playgirl while the Dark Knight never could.

Again, it’s not that you couldn’t have fit any spankings into the plots of these series, although of course it would have been wildly out of place to insert one, say, into the middle of Rorschach’s investigation into the murder of the Comedian, it’s that the nihilistic mood of pervasive darkness at DC left no room for the playful humor that characterized the Marvel spankings of this period. If a spanking had appeared one would have expected to see it used to symbolize the decadence of American society. In fact, Moore had almost done just that in his earlier V for Vendetta, where an onstage cabaret caning (we don’t quite get to see it) represents the perversion of erotic love, and is intended to symbolize the degradation of once-decent British society into totalitarianism.

These tendencies continued during the Modern Age, for example with The Death of Superman (2nd), which is why we don’t have any M/F spankings from DC’s books during this period either. It’s also what drove me away from DC, incidentally, but that’s only important here inasmuch as it was one of the things that led to my giving up on comics altogether, which unfortunately means I don’t know much about most of this period.

[I’ve expressed some further thoughts about what went wrong artistically with DC in my essay “Wonder Woman: Still Spankin’ After All These Years” for those who may be interested.]
Last edited by web-ed on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add Green Arrow griping picture.
-- Web-Ed