Spanking in newspapers but NOT comics

Spanking Art not from Humorama or other Men's Magazines, and not from Comics
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
Sweetspot

Spanking in newspapers but NOT comics

Post by Sweetspot »

This section in the Forum seems to make sense as a good posting place for much of my spanking illustrated collection until our host administrator is able to establish something on the main-site. Over the course of weeks but more likely months I'll place what I have here even if a few have already been posted elsewhere on this site. I'll just put my own scans here even though I have a few in my personal file from other sources.

February 12, 1901 from a Biloxi, Mississippi newspaper
Wife Illustrated February 12, 1901 Biloxi, Mississippi.jpg
Wife Illustrated February 12, 1901 Biloxi, Mississippi.jpg (171.2 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
Pittsburgh Press January 8, 1922 She's spanked as part of a club initiation rite with a device called The Slapperitis! Looks like it took her by surprise. Evidently it was engineered to have a loud 'fire cracker' like effect when it struck a bottom but in this case it is said to have caused the back of her dress to smolder and skin to be 'punctured'.
Pittsburgh Press January 8, 1922.jpg
Pittsburgh Press January 8, 1922.jpg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 5982 times

Lincoln Sunday Journal and Star
July 12, 1936
LincolnSundayJournal and Star July 12, 1936.jpg
LincolnSundayJournal and Star July 12, 1936.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
butch46163@yahoo.com

Re: Spanking in newspapers but NOT comics

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

was the guy spanking her or try to put out the fire on her bottom :? :?: :?: :?: :?:
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

A new twist on popping a cap in her arse?
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

butch46163@yahoo.com wrote:was the guy spanking her or try to put out the fire on her bottom :? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Since you asked: It seems that she managed to put out the flames on her own. We also read here that the problem arose because the official slapper had reversed the position of the slapperitis so that it 'exploded' in her direction instead of away from her.
Pittsburgh Press January 8, 1922
Pittsburgh Press January 8, 1922 DETAIL.jpg
Pittsburgh Press January 8, 1922 DETAIL.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 5956 times

Now here is an example of what you're talking about Butch. [true story evidently] At an airport a woman sits down on an abandoned but lit cigarette and it sets the back of her dress on fire. A stranger leaps to her rescue and in putting out the flames leaves the impression that he is giving her a very public spanking.
Akron Beacon Journal (again ;) ) September 22, 1968
AkronBeaconJournalSeptember22,1968.jpg
AkronBeaconJournalSeptember22,1968.jpg (49.01 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Last one reminded me of a Western (I can't remember its name or the actors) Where a female passenger on a train's crinoline caught on fire from a flying ember and a cowboy beat the flames out with his jacket.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

willjohn wrote:Last one reminded me of a Western (I can't remember its name or the actors) Where a female passenger on a train's crinoline caught on fire from a flying ember and a cowboy beat the flames out with his jacket.

This is probably the scene you are referring to willjohn. The caption is mistaken and Forrest Tucker is actually putting out the fire on her smoldering dress with his jacket just as you remembered it. Start at about the 20 - minute mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5X1nkpvXOg Fun fact: Adopted Screenplay for this movie was by James Edward Grant whose screenplay credits also included McClintock! and Donovan's Reef.
Rock Island Trail June 25, 1950
RockIslandTrailJune25,1950.jpg
RockIslandTrailJune25,1950.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Forrest Tucker, another actor who died too soon.

I remember him as the Sergeant in F Troop, with his shenanigans with Larry Storch. Happy memories. :lol:
Sweetspot

#2 Spanking from newspapers but NOT comics

Post by Sweetspot »

Flora Hoosier Democrat August 3, 1970
Mother-in-lawAugust3,1907FloraHoosierDemocrat.jpg
Mother-in-lawAugust3,1907FloraHoosierDemocrat.jpg (210.04 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
Lupe Velez Des Moines Register January 5, 1936
Lupe Velez Des Moines Register January 5, 1936.jpg
Lupe Velez Des Moines Register January 5, 1936.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 5886 times

July 8, 1945
wife spanked July 8, 1945.jpg
wife spanked July 8, 1945.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Lupe Velez. The lady who tried to suicide romantically and wound up dead with a broken neck, her head in the toilet and a long trail of vomit behind her.
Sweetspot

MORE Spanking in newspapers but NOT comics

Post by Sweetspot »

San Antonio Express March 30, 1958
SanAntonioExpressMarch30,1958_LI.jpg
SanAntonioExpressMarch30,1958_LI.jpg (942.84 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
Look For The Silver Lining May 28, 1949A behind the scenes look at a famous Hollywood spanking. And Good Golly! look at the size of that Technicolor camera.
Look For The Silver LIning May 28, 1949 Dayton Daily News.jpg
Look For The Silver LIning May 28, 1949 Dayton Daily News.jpg (72.85 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
Chicago Tribune May 30, 1929 A ship-board dramatization of a scene from a recent best-selling book called "Salt Water Taffy".
Chicago Tribune May 30, 1929 Burlesques.jpg
Chicago Tribune May 30, 1929 Burlesques.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

Wow - more great stuff here, Phil, and I'll have a few specific comments in a moment. I hadn't realized your newspaper spanking collection was so enormous - I have the ones you've sent me, of course, but I'd never seen these. I think I should re-focus my "spare time" efforts, which have been focused on upgrading the pages with video players, to creating the new "Newspaper" section, which won't be hard. Then I can send you a template to use for creating your own web pages, which is very easy when all you're doing is putting up one picture plus comments. :)

Now let me reproduce some of your fine scans here with specific comments. Does everyone know how to reproduce a picture that has already been attached to this board (or linked - it makes no difference) without doing another attachment (please - we don't want duplicate attachments!)? Here is what you do:

1. Use the "Img" button at the top of your "Post a Reply" text box to generate the necessary code, which will look like this with the braces replaced by square brackets: {img}{/img} The idea is to put your image location in between the two tags, which will cause it to appear in the post.

2. Right-click on the image you want to reproduce. Choose "Copy Image Location" from the drop-down menu. The location is now in your clipboard.

3. Put your cursor in between the tags, and then either right-click again and select "Paste" or use the shortcut "Ctrl + V". The URL should be copied. It will look something like this: {img}download/file.php?id=3546{/img} (remember, it will have square brackets not curly braces). This code will cause the image to appear when you submit the post.

Simple, huh? :geek:

This one was o.k. except for the anti-spanking bias of the editor - "violent methods" indeed! By the way, Judy looks a little like Meg Myles, the very busty pin-up of the day. I think I've posted photos of Meg somewhere, but if not, I've got more and they'll go up eventually.

I actually found a copy of Corey Ford's Salt Water Taffy in a college library around 1980. It had a number of spankings of June (the girl spankee in the photo), some of them illustrated and all intended for humorous effect. Needless to say, I loved it. :lol: However, I had no idea what the models' names were until now.

This artist's style reminds me a little of Brian Tarsis. Now as for Lupe Velez, long-time CSR readers may remember that she was satirized and spanked as "Rupy Lavez" in a Kayo Ward boxing strip that I posted on the main site back in 2011. (Follow the link to get to the page). Senior CSR Resident Artist Dan Rivera actually remembered the strip from the late 30's and gave some further explanation which I included on the page (his recollection was uncanny).

Lupe Velez was actually spanked in the movie Hot Pepper (1933).

This one stirred memories of that crazy "paddle" they used - I know I've seen it before. It was advertised for use in such hazings, and the manufacturer had some related devices that also used these special cartridges, which must have been where his profit was. Unfortunately, "enhancing" the simple but highly effective ;) wooden paddle with a blank cartridge was a really stupid idea, and I don't believe it ever caught on. It was safe enough, if you weren't complete morons as these guys obviously were, but it didn't add anything to basic concept of paddle-swats. These idiots used the wrong side of the "paddle" and when the smokeless powder ignited (I'm guessing that's what was used) the hot gases and wadding(?) were blown out toward the spankee. :roll: (I'm sure she wasn't seriously injured as the "penetration" referred to would have been only by tiny carbon particles, but there was certainly the potential for burns. Two layers of clothing should have provided some protection, but really! Everyone knows that even if you're firing a blank cartridge, you still don't point it at anyone, right? Just shoot up in the air.)

What's most interesting is that this was not some obnoxious M/M paddling scene, of which there were a horrific number in Golden Age comics (I just found one in Wilbur, an Archie-imitator), but a great M/F opportunity where some female "queen" gets hazed by the men. This happens to be a great fantasy of mine, at least where some super-heroine is getting paddled by the guys as part of her initiation. But most fraternal societies have traditionally been same-sex, so M/F paddlings must have always been rare. There were at least some F/F paddlings of course, college sororities and that old Bumblefoots paddling I've posted in the Humor Gallery.
-- Web-Ed
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Web-Ed Thanks for the various comments on the last collection of newspaper but NOT comic images. The illustrations for the book Salt Water Taffy seems right up my alley and I'll need to take a look around for it. I remember well using my college library in the first half of the seventies for uses other than class work and made some nice pre-internet finds if I do say so myself.
My reaction to the swatter screwing up the paddle devise by reversing the side used for impact was the same as yours...what a moron :roll: A foul up vaguely reminiscent, but without the far more serious consequences, of what led to the tragedy that befell Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow.
Rupy Lavez :lol:

New Castle, Pennsylvania September 26, 1939. The image is Walter Pidgeon spanking Rita Johnson in the 1939 movie Stronger Than Desire.
Don'tSpankTheBride New Castle, PA Sep 26,1939.jpg
Don'tSpankTheBride New Castle, PA Sep 26,1939.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
My Dear Children October 1, 1953. This is the only photo I know of from My Dear Children that doesn't feature John Barrymore as the spanker.
AllMyChildren Coronado Eagle and JournalOctober 1, 1953.jpg
AllMyChildren Coronado Eagle and JournalOctober 1, 1953.jpg (716.6 KiB) Viewed 5198 times

Bad Year For Tomatoes
published in the Los Angeles Times January 6, 1977. I had never heard of this play before seeing this photo.
Bad Year For Tomatoes L.A. Times January 6, 1977.jpg
Bad Year For Tomatoes L.A. Times January 6, 1977.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

The Electric Cooking ad reminded me of a badly worded ad from the 1950s.

" Don't kill your wife with housework, let electricity do it!"
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

More items of interest. I suspect Bad Year for Tomatoes turned out not to be much of a play, although it was a good year for spanking!
-- Web-Ed