Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 08/10/2012

Post by web-ed »

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.

Before getting to the updates I wanted to report on the status of three ongoing searches I forgot about last week.
  • Humorama Search - not much going on here any more as I think I have almost all the "spankers" now and the digests still on the market are way overpriced (they're not selling too well at those prices, either).
  • Don Flowers Search - Flowers has come up a couple of times on this board, and I promised to investigate him if I could. I'm going over a lot of his cartoons right now, but don't expect to find any "spankers".
  • Wonder Woman Search - I've been going through all of WW's early appearances with the goal of covering at least every one scripted by William Moulton Marston. I've made it about through the war years, with maybe a little of 1945 still to go (Moulton died in 1947). No spankings that I haven't already reported on so far. This search is on hold until some more reprint volumes become available.
And now, the updates, with the updated old pages first:
  • Doctor Cylon update - Daisy Mae is a'tellin' that she got a spankin' in another version of a Julius Zimmerman drawing he first tackled a couple of years ago.
  • Humorama Update: A new version of an old secretary spanking as this one finds out when her mother told her it was a spanking good firm, she wasn't kidding!
  • Humorama Series #101 - Secretary Spanking #30. A secretary discovers that at her firm, firm spanking is the rule!
Then Super-Spanking Summer II continues with The Joker spanking Harley Quinn twice
  • Once after putting her in bondage,
  • and the second time OTK.
-- Web-Ed
Tanner

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by Tanner »

Ah, Doc Cylon's Daisy Mae! Al Capp's was never like this. Though Daisy Mae did get spanked, as weknow, in the strip.

Humorama- must have been a lot of secretaries with sore bottoms back those days.

And how about that skintight outfit on Harley Quinn when she is otk? Looks like it was painted on.Occurs to me how much a spanking would sting over it.
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Then Super-Spanking Summer II continues with The Joker spanking Harley Quinn twice
Once after putting her in bondage,
and the second time OTK.
The second Joker/Harley Quinn spanking is my favorite this week. With her form=fitting costume, and her puckish sense of humor, Harley seems like the perfect candidate for a spanking! ...from the Joker... from Batman... from Robin... or from nearly anyone that can get their hands on her!
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

:lol: Hi WEB-ED CSR!! I agree Harly Quinn is the most deserving villianess that needs a spanking ! Too bad Batman didn`t turn her over his knees once in a comic :lol: Remember seeing a Batman cartoon once where Harly tried to kill Batman only to fail but when Batman confronted I think he punched her I`am not sure :D Anyway to me it would have been great to see him put her over his knees for a good long spanking that after she would had asked the cops for a pillow to sat on while riding to jail don`t think her bottom would feel right on that bench in the back of a police wagon after a spanking :lol: Really like the over the knees drawing of the Joker spanking Harly Quinn . Like the way her two large buttocks is sticking up high in the air :) Don`t think the Joker could spank her in that position to low to the ground :lol: Love the look on both their faces :D Nice drawing!! Doctor Cylon spanks Daisy Mae drawing by Julius Zimmerman is good! Nice large breasts. Love the way she is bending over with bottom up high. also love her two shaply legs :) Love to see Doctor Cylon used a wooden spoon to spank her with! Hear plenty of stories from friends who lived in the country who talk about getting the spoon when growing up! :lol: Like DeCarlo Kirk Stile love drawing boss spanks secretary :lol: Don`t think the secretary in the Good firm spanking drawing is that bad looking :) Like how she is being spank over one knee with bottom up right! but the bosses hand although he using the right one seem kinda funny sorta like a flopy swing unlike the other drawing with the palm coming down flatly :lol: another thing I notice in The firm spanking is the lady feet is small and her legs are short! Not one of Stile best drawing but it nice due to the spanking! Love how the secretary head is turn in drawing number 30 :lol: Nice 8-)
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

well,Doc Cylon had found yet another well endowed lady to focus his talents on............of course, you don't see all that many ladies whose breasts are bigger than their bottom cheeks :lol: . i like the pained expression and the single tear. i like the "spanking good firm" drawing. i think you're thought that the scattered papers are the result of the spanking rather than the cause is probably right on the money and i love the rather jubilant expression on the spanker's face :D . nicely drawn spankee in the other secretary spanking although i would personally have preferred it if her bottom was a bit rounder ;) . i also like her expression. i would say that the pic by Hookywooky was done with Poser. in fact, i think i have seen the bondage equipment at one of the sites that sells Poser props. i'm not sure about the Joker face but it is a good likeness. i think that Boom is right about the second joker spanking being the best. nice bottom :D . thanks for the updates :D . phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiiya Web-ed:

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess. Your toons by "Doc Cylon" are meaningless to me, although I can tell that some of your other viewers do like them. But that Julius Zimmerman dude either has NO idea of the proper proportions for a woman's body, or else he is deliberately drawing them out of proportion. For what reason, I have no idea.

I do, however, like the two Kirk Stiles "secretary spankings." The first one shows us a young secretary over her new boss' lap for what is, I suppose, her first spanking at this place of work. I have seen this one several times, and like you I regret that we have never been able to find a sharper copy of it. If we were ever to find a copy that is a close generation to the original, we would probably see more shading and greater perspective. This xerox copy is virtually all black and white, with little shading to provide a sense of depth and perspective. But the caption is one of the best I've ever seen: "I guess this is what Mom meant about the firm being a spanking good outfit to work for!" Tantalizing, and fun to think about.

The second Stiles toon about a secretary spanking is even more tantalizing than the first, at least in some ways. Please note that in his first toon, mentioned above, the girl being spanked seems resigned to her fate, accepting it as part of her "job description," and after all, her Mom had to go through it before she did. But, in the second toon, the spankee does NOT seem at all "resigned," and in fact we get the feeling that she will soon express her extreme disapproval of this sort of treatment. Notice how her eyes look startled and angry, not as accepting of the spanking as the other secretary was. Will this lead to a lawsuit against the old goat? Oh, probably not. You say this toon was published in the 1960s. I'm not sure if the women's lib movement was in full swing yet.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of this second toon. You say: "Stiles shows his great range and subtlety of expression with the secretary's face, which seems to say 'I'm surprised he did this, but I know I deserve it and I willingly submit to my punishment'." To me, the young woman looks pissed off at what her new boss is doing. And he's got her dress pulled all the way up, a bit farther than we usually see in this type of drawing. Yeah, I think she's pissed. Where's Gloria Steinem when you need her?

Regarding the two pictures of The Joker spanking Harley Quinn, I agree with all the other respondents here that the second one is the better of the two. Here, the clown lady is placed firmly over the Joker's lap, and she is receiving her spanks on her nicely-elevated rump, meaning that to some degree at least, she enjoys this treatment! And, she is smiling!

Good stuff, Web-ed. I look forward to future episodes of your "Weekly Updates."

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 08/10/2012

Post by web-ed »

On the spankings of Harley Quinn:
Tanner wrote:And how about that skintight outfit on Harley Quinn when she is otk? Looks like it was painted on.Occurs to me how much a spanking would sting over it.
hugob00m wrote: With her form=fitting costume, and her puckish sense of humor, Harley seems like the perfect candidate for a spanking! ...from the Joker... from Batman... from Robin... or from nearly anyone that can get their hands on her!
Given the large number of Harley-spankings that have turned up over the years, I think many artists feel the same way b00m does! And speaking of "turned up", I think we'd all agree with Tanner that Harley's skin-tight costume is ideal for spanking since it offers her no protection when her bottom is turned up to meet hand or paddle. We'll have several more Harley-spankings here in the next few weeks, by the way, as she gets it from Poison Ivy, the Joker (again), Batman, and then she and Batgirl spank each other, perhaps to see who can be more submissive. :)

On the Julius Zimmerman/Doc Cylon piece:
overbarrel49 wrote:well,Doc Cylon had found yet another well endowed lady to focus his talents on............of course, you don't see all that many ladies whose breasts are bigger than their bottom cheeks :lol:
daneldorado wrote:that Julius Zimmerman dude either has NO idea of the proper proportions for a woman's body, or else he is deliberately drawing them out of proportion. For what reason, I have no idea.
My guess is that Zimmerman designs his proportions for humorous effect. I think that less exaggeration would be more erotic, and Zimmerman has done some potent displays of the female derriere exaggerated to varying degrees with the female in the bending-over position, which will always grab my attention :) (and Doc Cylon's too, it would seem).

On Secretary Spanking #30:
daneldorado wrote:You say this toon was published in the 1960s. I'm not sure if the women's lib movement was in full swing yet.
... I respectfully disagree with your assessment of this second toon. You say: "Stiles shows his great range and subtlety of expression with the secretary's face, which seems to say 'I'm surprised he did this, but I know I deserve it and I willingly submit to my punishment'." To me, the young woman looks pissed off at what her new boss is doing. And he's got her dress pulled all the way up, a bit farther than we usually see in this type of drawing. Yeah, I think she's pissed. Where's Gloria Steinem when you need her?

Yes, this cartoon was taken from the mid-to-late 1960's, although I'm certain this was a reprint and it had been published for the first time years before, but that date is still unknown. Where was Gloria Steinem, you ask? At that time, she was working as a bunny in one of the Playboy clubs (later to write an expose based on her experiences)! She got involved with feminism in the late 60's to early 70's - too late to protest Miss Finness getting spanked in the office. As with many other bad ideas from the 60's, the destructive effects of Feminism were felt mainly in the 70's. I don't recall feminists getting too outraged over spanking at that time, probably because they couldn't even conceive that such as thing was still happening. I do remember at about this time a girl in high school complaining about boys always trying to spank her - perhaps her complaint was influenced by Feminism, although I think it more likely she just didn't "get it" when it came to spanking. Steinem herself could certainly have used a good spanking, and I'd have loved to be the one to have administered it! :D I really enjoy the idea of seeing cranky feminists humbled in this manner.

Is Miss Finness pissed off or merely startled? Are those dark eyes flashing with anger or with smoldering submission? I have to think that if she were really angry, she'd be struggling against the spanking more than the relaxed posture of her upper body suggests. Everyone will have to judge for himself (note the avoidance of the feminist-preferred "himself or herself"!) .
-- Web-Ed
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Spanking Gloria Steinem, or a character based on her. I wonder if anyone has ever written a story like that. I did read a letter to the mag Nugget (or maybe it was Cavalier) years ago where the writer(this was the 70s) said women involved with "women's lib" as it was called then, should all be given a good spanking.
One thing I am surprised not to see more stories about is braless, potsmoking, skinnydipping "hippie chicks" from that period getting spanked like they so richly deserved.
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Good Lord! Gloria Steinem is 78 years old!

Not a Granny Basher, are you? :o
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Spanking Gloria Steinem

Post by web-ed »

willjohn wrote:Good Lord! Gloria Steinem is 78 years old!

Not a Granny Basher, are you? :o
Is Gloria really 78? Wow! No, Willjohn, I'm not a Granny Basher, and although I'm basically of the "a woman is never too old for a spanking" school, I've never spanked anyone older than her early sixties. You'll notice that I said, " Steinem herself could certainly have used a good spanking, and I'd have loved to be the one to have administered it!" carefully using the past tense. I had in mind Steinem's early feminist period from about 40 years ago. At that time I would have been a young lad just learning how to use a wooden paddle, and Steinem would have been about 38, still in her prime spankable years. A good match, I'd say! :)
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 08/17/2012

Post by web-ed »

For links to this week's updates please go to the Home Page by clicking on "Chicago Spanking Review" at the top of this or any other Forum page.
  • Humorama Update: We found the original version of a classic cop spanking by Dan DeCarlo.
  • Humorama Series #102 - Secretary Spanking #31. When her boss sees her bad spelling, a secretary is sent to the "S" file to fetch the spanking paddle! The last of our Kirk Stiles cartoons, this one was discovered by us and has never appeared on the web before.
Super-Spanking Summer II this week features the Batman villainess Poison Ivy:
  • First Ivy gets on the Harley Quinn spanking bandwagon (everyone else has), and then
  • she gets the same OTK treatment herself from Wonder Woman!
-- Web-Ed
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

I saw that one(or a similar one) with the secretary and her bad spelling being told to look under S before, somewhere.Good you preserved it.
Always good to see Harley Quinn get it,on that sexy butt in those sexy tights. The Wonder Woman/Poison Ivy was good too. Her lasso as a spanking implemnt a very original idea.
Though I really prefer to see WW on the receiving end, like maybe with her little shorts wedgied up betwen her cheeks, getting spanked with own lasso on her naked butt.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

hi web-ed,

fascinating history on the cop spanking and i have to say that i see nothing wrong with one cartoonist borrowing an idea from another. i have borrowed ideas from Dave Wolfe several times and sometimes i even contacted him about it first :lol: . i have seen Dave borrow ideas too and i have got ideas and inspiration for toons from as many other cartoonists as i could. the idea of recycling toons seems like a good time saver to me too. i have never done that per se but i do regularly save poses for my characters and use them in a different toon with different people because it is a time saver. i notice that Boom will recycle certain poses for Katie in a different scene and i have seen Dave pull an onlooker from one Wofietoon to use in another so i guess i'm in good company :D . back to the cop spanking............other than the otk position which you already covered, i just have one comment. i wish DeCarlo had taken a bit more time and made the panties look a little more feminine. i love both the stance and the expression of the secretary who has just been ordered to go get the paddle :D . i do think that Covens Oz did a fine job of capturing the action in the Harley Quinn spanking. the spanker and spankee are both shapely and Harley has a nice bottom but that action just adds to the over all effect :D . as for the pic with Poison Ivy getting spanked..............seems like a fair turn around to me :lol: . more great updates. thanks, phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Web-ed:

Nice job, on finding that "original" toon showing the cop spanking some lovely lass in the moonlight. Hmm... Joker magazine in April 1957, you say? Sounds good to me. As posted, this toon has a slight flaw in the upper left corner, in the margin. I'm kind of anal about such things, so I have already corrected that slight shadow via Photoshop.

For a second there, I was going to ask you if, after all your intense research, you can definitively say that April of 1957 was the date of the earliest published spanking cartoon. That's before my thick head realized that there were published drawings in Hearst's old American Weekly and elsewhere long before the new age of humor cartoons from such mags as Joker, Breeze, Jest, Laff et alii....

Thanks, too, for mentioning my name in connection with the nightstick/no nightstick meme regarding that old Wenzel toon. It's true that the suggestion by DeCarlo's cop that he "should" use a nightstick to spank the naughty lady comes off as much more acceptable to the public than if he actually did use the stick. That would be police brutality, and I don't blame Abe Goodman for wanting to modify that old picture. His solution was not very artistic, of course, but now we have this DeCarlo toon, showing that this cop is using his hand to spank the lovely lady for some unspecified misstep and just joking about using the stick.

Cheers,
Dan
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

HI WEB- ED CSR!! Like the classic cop spanking from Dan DeCarlo :lol: The only flaw I have is that the spankee seem to be more floating in air than over the cop`s lap :lol: another thing his palm is not open but cup! Like the scan version also bare bottom :lol: Kirk Stiles Secretary Spanking#31 is very humorous :lol: Always love the jokes from a Kirk Stiles`s drawing 8-) Only problem with this drawing is the out fit the secretary is wearing :x It would have been much much better if he had drew her in a more tighter fitting dress showing off her curves especially her bottom :lol: as much as I wanted to see her paddle the sexyness of seeing what he was going to paddle would have been great! :shock: The spanking of Harly Quinn by Posin Ivy is the BEST SUPER SPANKING I HAVE SEEN SO FAR 8-) 8-) next to The spanking of Batgirl by Robin :lol: Poor Harly would be doing much sitting for awhile :lol: Every thing on this drawing is great good otk position Harly full plump bottom up high giving Ivy a nice round target to smack with that paddle :lol: Also like the facial expression of pain on Harly face and anger on Ivy maybe she mad because Harley used a tree to make that paddle :lol: also love how Ivy is restraining Harley`s hand from reaching back to protect her buttocks from the burning slaps from the paddle meaning this is a real disciplinary spanking! :lol: 8-) The spanking of Ivy by WW is nice but more of a pleasure style spanking :D
hugob00m

Re: Weekly Updates for 08/17/2012

Post by hugob00m »

web-ed wrote:Humorama Update: We found the original version of a classic cop spanking by Dan DeCarlo.
Humorama Series #102 - Secretary Spanking #31. When her boss sees her bad spelling, a secretary is sent to the "S" file to fetch the spanking paddle! The last of our Kirk Stiles cartoons, this one was discovered by us and has never appeared on the web before.
I'm going to hate the day you run out of Humorama cartoons to post! Thankfully this is not that day! I'm glad to see a good, clear, High resolution scan of the Decarlo cop cartoon, and a Kirk Stiles cartoon that, you're right, I've never seen before. A ping pong paddle filed under "S" for spanking? Works for me!
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 08/17/2012

Post by web-ed »

On the latest super-spankings:
tanner wrote:Always good to see Harley Quinn get it,on that sexy butt in those sexy tights. The Wonder Woman/Poison Ivy was good too. Her lasso as a spanking implement a very original idea.
butch wrote:The spanking of Harly Quinn by Posin Ivy is the BEST SUPER SPANKING I HAVE SEEN SO FAR 8-) 8-) next to The spanking of Batgirl by Robin :lol: Poor Harly would be doing much sitting for awhile :lol: Every thing on this drawing is great good otk position Harly full plump bottom up high giving Ivy a nice round target to smack with that paddle :lol:
Glad these were well-received. I can't know in advance what will strike a chord with readers, so I simply try to post what I think are good or better items and let all of you decide what you like best. I've been doing at least one "Batman Family" spanking per week, and will continue to do so. I would have run out by the end of summer, but Mr. Jer has been doing some which many of you may already have seen that I've added to the files, and I can't say whether we'll exhaust them all this year or not. I've decided to wind up Super-Spanking Summer II on Sept. 28, at which point I'll have to decide whether to wait for Super-Spanking Summer III or just do more superhero stuff before next summer.

On the Humorama Series and spanking humor cartoons:
overbarrel49 wrote: back to the cop spanking............other than the otk position which you already covered, i just have one comment. i wish DeCarlo had taken a bit more time and made the panties look a little more feminine. i love both the stance and the expression of the secretary who has just been ordered to go get the paddle :D
I noticed that too, Phil - DeCarlo normally drew proper cami-knickers for our delectation. That may be one of the reasons why the first version I found had the panties removed - someone else didn't like them.

daneldorado wrote:For a second there, I was going to ask you if, after all your intense research, you can definitively say that April of 1957 was the date of the earliest published spanking cartoon. That's before my thick head realized that there were published drawings in Hearst's old American Weekly and elsewhere long before the new age of humor cartoons from such mags as Joker, Breeze, Jest, Laff et alii....
You've actually raised a number of interesting questions, Dan. The answer depends partly on what we mean by "spanking cartoon". You mentioned the American Weekly ones, and of course there were some interesting spanking postcards from the 1920's and even earlier! I think most of us have seen these (but just to make sure, I'll be posting them some time next year). I'm sure we also all remember that flapper spanking by the Devil from 1930 on the cover of that magazine with the spicy stories (see it in the Picture Gallery).

We'll go more deeply into this subject another time, but the earliest true spanking drawings and illustrations such as the ones in American Weekly seem quite purely disciplinary with no erotic overtones, while some of the spanking postcards must have been rather suggestive for the day but scrupulously avoided anything as blatant as OTK positioning. They all follow the basic Vaudeville pattern of having a pretty girl (or a big woman) bending over and a guy trying to work up the nerve to give her a sharp whack on the fanny. I think there's a good chance the slapstick humor was meant to forestall any too-blatant eroticism.

The OTK position, combined with an adult M/F pairing, seemed to change things in the minds of editors, and perhaps readers as well - it's more overtly a full-blown spanking with all the trimmings, you might say - and it wasn't necessarily pure discipline since the male looked as though he might have an ulterior motive. The first of these I can document was not Humorama, and dates from some time in early 1955. The earliest known Humorama OTK spanking cartoon is from July 1955. It was Bill Wenzel's (and Humorama's) first secretary spanking, also. It may be found here in CSR as Secretary Spanking #26 (out of necessity my secretary spanking numbering is not chronological).
hugob00m wrote:I'm going to hate the day you run out of Humorama cartoons to post!
So am I, b00m! The Humorama Spanking Cartoons were the largest and most important body of that kind of work in their day. In fact, there hasn't been anything like them since in the sense of one publisher printing spanking cartoons from so many different artists. The best of today's spanking artists is arguably as good as the Humorama stuff, but you won't find them under one publishing house, or even find a publishing house any more!

Anyway, I've got 14 cartoons left (plus some updates to ones already posted), so we won't run out before around Thanksgiving. And even after that, a small number might turn up, in which case the Humorama Series will be revived!
-- Web-Ed
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Hiya Web-ed:

This gets more and more interesting. You say that

the earliest true spanking drawings and illustrations such as the ones in American Weekly seem quite purely disciplinary with no erotic overtones, while some of the spanking postcards must have been rather suggestive for the day but scrupulously avoided anything as blatant as OTK positioning. They all follow the basic Vaudeville pattern of having a pretty girl (or a big woman) bending over and a guy trying to work up the nerve to give her a sharp whack on the fanny. I think there's a good chance the slapstick humor was meant to forestall any too-blatant eroticism.

The OTK position, combined with an adult M/F pairing, seemed to change things in the minds of editors, and perhaps readers as well - it's more overtly a full-blown spanking with all the trimmings, you might say - and it wasn't necessarily pure discipline since the male looked as though he might have an ulterior motive. The first of these I can document was not Humorama, and dates from some time in early 1955. The earliest known Humorama OTK spanking cartoon is from July 1955.

All of this is very interesting to those of us with an interest in the history of published spanking images. You're right when you say that there were several early toons that suggested spankings but studiously avoided the OTK positioning. But I notice that you confined your message to only Humorama (and Humorama-like) cartoons. If I read you correctly, you are not considering any earlier comic OTK spankings, such as those we have seen from Superman, The Phantom, and Smilin' Jack... which I am fairly certain were published earlier than 1955.

In addition to drawings, of course there were several motion pictures with OTK spankings in them prior to the 1950s. The earliest over-the-knee spanking I can remember from movies is in Riddle Gawne (1918)... but the spanker (Williiam S. Hart) was a forty-ish male and the spankee was a 16-year old girl, Gertrude Short, who played his teenage niece in the film. That little detail may have been enough to forestall criticism from the censors.

But BEFORE Riddle Gawne, there were a number of on-screen spankings of young females; and you are absolutely right, none of them are over-the-knee, and they are all played for comic, not erotic, effect. Just off-hand, I can think of Mack Sennett spanking Virginia Kirtley in Mabel's Dramatic Career (non-OTK) in 1913, and Mabel Normand getting paddled by her on-screen parents in the short Mabel's Wilful Way (1915). And once, I actually FOUND a spanking film from 1903, Stage Struck, and ordered a copy of it in 16mm film, from the Library of Congress. Three girls are spanked simultaneously in that one, but all three are spanked under someone's arm, and NOT over the knee. By the way, in that 1903 short from the Thomas Edison Film Co., spankers and spankees are forever anonymous. But at least we have the scene on film.

There hasn't been enough written here, about the "difference" between OTK spankings and under-the-arm and bend-over positions. It should be obvious to all... but a spanking of a grown female by a grown male, over his knee, is powerfully suggestive of sexual foreplay, the way the spanking is carried out with their groins in close proximity. I'm not sure if the Humorama cartoonists really intended those spankings as foreplay, especially since many of them are between a young woman and her much older boss. But the idea is surely planted in the viewer's mind... and THAT, I'm pretty sure, is what disturbed the censors of movies and cartoons in the early 20th century.

As for the movies, by at least 1931 there seemed to be no moral objection to a real over-the-knee spanking, since a film released that year, The Cowcatcher's Daughter, shows a relatively lengthy OTK session between Andy Clyde and his grown daughter, played by Marjorie Beebe. It was comical, not sexual. But you could sense that the groundwork was being laid for later OTK scenes in movies of the late 1930s and the '40s.

Whew! You still reading? Sorry to ramble on for so long, but it's all your fault. You mentioned that OTK spankings were "blatant," and that sent my feverish brain into a dizzy scramble. I'll shut up for now.

Cheers,
Dan
web-ed
Site Admin

Post by web-ed »

daneldorado wrote:All of this is very interesting to those of us with an interest in the history of published spanking images. You're right when you say that there were several early toons that suggested spankings but studiously avoided the OTK positioning. But I notice that you confined your message to only Humorama (and Humorama-like) cartoons. If I read you correctly, you are not considering any earlier comic OTK spankings, such as those we have seen from Superman, The Phantom, and Smilin' Jack... which I am fairly certain were published earlier than 1955...

I notice that you confined your message to only Humorama (and Humorama-like) cartoons. If I read you correctly, you are not considering any earlier comic OTK spankings, such as those we have seen from Superman, The Phantom, and Smilin' Jack... which I am fairly certain were published earlier than 1955...

Sorry to ramble on for so long, but it's all your fault. You mentioned that OTK spankings were "blatant," and that sent my feverish brain into a dizzy scramble. I'll shut up for now.
That's o.k., Dan, this is a discussion forum after all, and the topic holds considerable interest. My only concern is that it may be somewhat misplaced here, so I may move it to another forum in the future. And I have copied your comments into my notes so I can easily refer to them when I write that future article, which we will have sometime next year after we first take a look at a series of non-Humorama spanking cartoons.

Yes, I was confining my remarks to only spanking illustrations and humor cartoons such as the Humorama ones, and not including ones taken from the comics which were indeed much earlier. (The first Phantom spanking was in 1938. Incidentally, when questions like this arise, allow me to brag a little and remind everyone I added a search-by-year capability to the Comics Spanking Data Base Search Page a while back. I just plugged in the years 1900 and 1940 to get all the comic-book and strip spankings that occurred in that time frame.)

Now, this is not the only approach that could be taken; certainly a comprehensive view would include all the popular arts such as comics and movies, so thanks for providing us with a refresher course (which we need) on early spankings in cinema. If we go that way, we can still consider the question of when exactly were depictions of spanking in popular media allowed to have erotic overtones? So I haven't decided yet whether to go that way or just follow the cartoon trail.

Either way, the question of positioning should be considered. Apart from being the favorite of spankos, OTK does seem to have been considered more blatantly erotic when the spanking is adult M/F, although I have one postcard from 1913 in which a husband turns his young wife OTK. It purports to be disciplinary, yet the wife has a suspicious smile :) on her face that makes me wonder. But the other early OTK scenes do seem to have taken pains to emphasize their disciplinary nature.

Now my only problem is finding the time to write the article... :|
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 08/24/2012

Post by web-ed »

• Humorama Update: Another version of a Kirk Stiles cartoon in which the spankee advises the smoking spanker to be "Careful with that ash!" This earlier caption was somewhat different, as we'll see.
    Humorama Series #103 - an unusual cartoon by Bill Power in which a motorist whacks a shapely pedestrian while signalling a left turn! This one is unique.
Super-Spanking Summer II:
  • Things go from bad to verse for Lois Lane as Tim has Superman take his belt to her bare bottom while reciting poetry! Another very unique idea - this must be our week for them.
  • And of course there's more spanking for Harley Quinn as she once again gets taken over the Joker's knee. This is a nice piece with subtle humor by an artist we haven't seen before at CSR, Artisticwitt.
Next week we're going to try to do the updates while on the road, something we've never attempted before. We'll revisit a Humorama "Paddling in the Gym" that Dan posted on the Forum earlier this year and see Batgirl and Harley Quinn exchange swats in a pair of cartoons by Joe Gravel. So hang on to your hats and hope our Wi-Fi works as we take a rare working vacation. :)
-- Web-Ed